Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,427
    I got all three washed last Wednesday when it hit 60. Now the Volvo seems to be white again, but the Acuras are still OK. Hopefully we get another warm day soon (and by warm, 40+ with some sun will do it!)

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yes, 15.3% after expenses but before deductions like your mortgage interest.
    the Elantra GT does look sharp. I don't think I sat in one of those though at the car show. Might have to find an excuse to stop by the dealer one day.

Gets pretty pricey though if you want all the options. Sticker over 25K with the premium and tech packages (or whatever they are called). Not sure I would get the tech package for $2,300. navi is no big deal, and on something this small I think I could live without the backup camera! The $2,700 good stuff package has the basics (roof, power seats, etc.).

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

Yeah but the loaded ones are discounted more heavily. I found one for 22k with both packages, freight included. Lemme check fitzmall.....

$22,231 no haggle, with list at $25,475, but I think I would not finance so that might add $500 back. $199 processing, so basically $23k.

Not cheap, but keep in mind that's a 7" screen while competitors are 5.8 to 6.1". Moonroof is much bigger as well.

Cons? Torsion beam rear and lower mileage than some others.
    that's not so bad. I did like the old touring. It was surprisingly nice.

I would bet that real world, the Elantra will get comparable MPG. And certainly more than the Miata! Not sure if the rear end would matter to me. If it drives well, that is all that matters.e

edited February 2013
    Twist beams dont do well on wavy or bumpy roads. May not feel it on a short test drive.

Miata has a small tank and begs to be driven hard. Add cold weather and tons of idling and I just got a low fuel light at 242 miles, my record low.

I want better range, mostly. Maybe a little better ride for DC potholes.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,390
    Interesting thoughts from the car show. As I've mentioned before, you're looking at a lot of the same cars as I'm interested in, so it's nice to hear your thoughts.

Sounds like the Prius V or maybe the Elantra GT are the best fits for you, huh?

Does the CX-5 interest you at all? Seems like the only deficiency has been the lack if power, but they may have addressed that with the larger engine for 2014. Gets a bit pricey for the upper models though.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,737
    edited February 2013
    Just got home from another Miami to Tampa run. Hit two accidents on the way over with the second lasting over 1/2 hour...we all turned off the cars and walked around and chatted and some folks were throwing around a football...the backup was for miles! Luckily the weather was outstanding and folks were in a real festive mood...ate my lunch here, as today I packed something instead of fast food, so I didn't need to stop later on. I'll have to write another installment of today's run for "The Sandman Chronicles" tomorrow as I'm beat to hell right now and our bed is looking really good! One tidbit though...I drove a Korean car, my favorite one, and got over 4 hours of seat time and all I can say is, the bar has been raised folks...Honda and Toyota, are you listening??? Stick, I also agree about the GT...an exceptional value for a real looker. Who knows, we could end up owning 3 Hyundai's in the not too distant future!

Until tomorrow fellow readers, I am...

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,890
    Looking sharp! I love those ///M Sport Pkg Wheels!

My car was so filthy, dirty, & salty that I actually ran it through the car wash yesterday. Last night we got a dusting of snow. Barely enough to cover the ground, but enough that the salt trucks were out in full effect. My car is dirty again!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Nice Bimmers, especially the wagon. :shades:

We have an 07 328i sedan that my wife uses as her daily driver that we had for almost 2 years now (long time by our standards). Great car, fun to drive but for the longest time she was bugging me about wanting an SUV.

I brought home an 01 MDX I bought for cheap to get us through winter and for New Years as we went to a cabin in the mountains. She drove the MDX for a few days and then went back to her 328, saying she liked it better, specifically the solid BMW feel and the handling. It probably helped too that I bought a good set of winter tires for it as it gave her more confidence when it snowed the few days last month.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,768
    "...you still get that (SS) after being self-employed.."

If you took 15% of whatever you made during your working life and put it in a private retirement fund you would retire a millionaire. Just think, a Bimmer for every member of your family instead of a hooptie.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Which generation FWD Continental was it?

It was the second gen V8 version. It wasn't a bad car at all IMHO. It just didn't hide it's roots all that well. For it's time, it was very powerful and had loads of technology. I still think the instrument cluster is gorgeous 10 years later.

I don't mind the early Continentals. My uncle had one when I was a kid, and thought it was a really cool car. I've seen a few online that had been converted to the Mustang HO engine. That could be a fun little sleeper.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Prius V was the family's choice, not really mine. I wanted something smaller, plus it's expensive equipped the way I'd want it (panoramic moonroof + Nav). Used? Still dunno, not really what I want.

Elantra GT seems like a good fit, will check one out with the equipment I want since they didn't have a loaded one at the show.

I drove a CX5 with my sister. We already own a Forester, so I don't see a need for a 2nd snow car, plus IMHO the Forester does everything better. The CX5 has a disappointingly small back seat, even the Impreza has more room. The 2.5l engine surely will address the power issue and doesn't use much more gas, but ... for me I like the Mazda3 better in just about every way.

Not really shopping for crossovers, anyway. I want a city car.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,584
    edited February 2013
    So, with the Advanced Technology Package on the v Five, you're looking at $35k plus change for that Prius wagon.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

So ain't happening...

Cargurus doesn't have any used with the pano roof. Cheapest new is $30,371 and you probably have to add freight and processing.

Far more than I want to spend for a car I'd be getting to make other people happy, not me.

I'm way too selfish for that. :D
    I'd like the moonroof, but probably would just as soon use the MP3 stuff and my portable GPS.

$20,587 at Fitz (includes freight) with the Style package, but sans Navi.

I'd actually rather not have the 17" rims but it is grouped with the panoramic moonroof, which I must have. Without it I think I'd choose another car.

$22,231 if I add the Tech package, mostly Nav and backup cam. $1644 extra, basically.

I could get an aftermarket setup for a little less, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle, plus that is a 7" screen.

I'm going to search for some YouTube reviews of that Tech package to see how well it works.

Anyone seen the blue leather in person? I wonder if it looks classy, or tacky. I think it would look good combined with that Titanium color (which hides the overdone front grille).
    I'll be near Fitz in May. :)

My wife found a post from a Canadian comparison shopper the other day, who compared the v to the original Caravan. The 1983 Dodge Caravan was 6" longer and 2" taller than the v. Per the post, the other interior specs were very similar. It sure looks smaller, but we really liked the style of our '89 Voyager.

Anyone seen the blue leather in person?

Ha, we've only seen one v at the auto show two years ago and one in the wild. Plan to tire kick them "soon" though. Like early April.

edited February 2013
    http://youtu.be/KEXGBNe5Edg

Check out the moonroof at 1:00 - sweeeeet!

That Nav screen looks HUGE for this class, also. Total eye candy.

Here's CNET on the coupe, which has the same tech (I think, is that right?):

http://youtu.be/d9NKM9q8p7w

FFWD to 0:51 for the tech review. Remember the coupe/sedan actually do not share a chassis with the GT model.

Another CNET review, earlier one on the sedan. Cooley loves the tech, and he's very picky so that's saying something:

http://youtu.be/1T98fI3nUZE

Go to 1:31 for the tech stuff.

Hmmm, but I think the GT does get Bluelink telematics? Anyone have a review of that updated system?
    So, if you're not going to be swayed by the family favorite Prius V, is your previous favorite Mazda3 still on the list?

It's been awhile, but I drove them back to back last year and remember preferring the drive of the Mazda3, but appreciated the more updated interior and features of the GT. I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

edited February 2013
    They didn't really like the Mazda3. I think I was the only one who liked it. Didn't help that they didn't have a loaded model on the floor, and the black interior was somber looking. I prefer the two tone beige/black.

Basically I won't let them choose my car, but they do sort of have veto power if they don't like something.

I drove a 2.5l s model, so I should still sample a SkyActiv.

Bluelink is $79, $179, or $279 a year depending upon the level of service you choose:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/technology/bluelink/get.aspx

$279 to help you find gas that costs 3 cents less sorta kills the whole purpose. You do get a 3 month trial period, during which you could send all your Favorites from your PC.

I think I'd use my smart phone to do all that (already paid for) and just enter an address.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,768
    "...that had been converted to the Mustang HO engine..."

Are you talking about the 4.6L? Tons of Fords had them in the 90s before Ford boosted them up to 300+hp in 2005 for the Mustang. I often wondered how complex a job it would be to switch out the 4.6L 200hp version in say, a 95 Cougar with the Mustang motor.

As you say it would make for a nice sleeper.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

So, are you having much heartache over getting rid of the Miata?

I only had mine for a couple of seasons before I replaced it with a more practical package, but you've had a Miata for many years now, right? :)

My basic rule is that if I'm not totally sure, I don't trade.

The family basically vetoed the Mazda3, though maybe if I showed them a loaded up model I could "save" it.

They liked the Prius V and the Jeep Wrangler the most (go figure, they're opposites), but neither is suited to my small car wants.

Elantra GT just might please us all, we'll see.

Impreza is still on the short list, too, but my wife hinted that she would steal it, and her Forester is bigger than I want for a daily DC commute.

Golf TDI was already on the pricey side and it was her friend who owned that Passat lemon, so she laid down a hard and cold veto on that. I would have waited for the new Golf anyway.

Will go see an Elantra with them next time we're near White Flint, maybe this weekend I'll drag them out for pizza and then "accidentally" notice the dealer is right next door. LOL

How many of you have pulled a stunt like that before? :D
    edited February 2013
    Just realized I didn't answer your 2nd question.

Yeah, I got a used 93 Miata in 2001 for peanuts. Drove it for more miles than the original owner did and basically sold it for nearly what I paid.

Sold it privately and got a left over 2008 Miata when I saw the smiley face on the 2009s, and decided right away I did not want one of those.

Of course being the manly man that I am, I got the hard core 6 speed manual/sports suspension/huge rims/Bilsteins/torsen LSD package. Well, that's all great on a track but DC has pot holes the size of a ... Miata.

Right now there are 2 holes on the bridge that connects the Clara Barton Pkwy to Canal Rd, big enough to eat me alive.

I'm sure it will get fixed. In 2016.

What I should do it post a classified for a Trade, and find someone willing to trade 17"s for 16"s. Must be OEM though for the TPMS.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,648
    Two months?! Maybe two weeks, if you take your time. ;)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    The ad says it is 6-spd manual.... but it doesn't look like a manual to me from the photos. Those you who drive BMWs... is it manual?

If so, I'd say it looks like a sweet car. I, too, love that color.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,391
    edited February 2013
    Took the miata out on Saturday on the PCH north of SF. Bring yours out, juice, no potholes, just the occasional straight to connect all of the twisties.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,599
    definitely an automatic. 6-speed steptronic. No paddles.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

That's what I thought. Stinkin' autos, anyway. :mad: