Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    AWD + wagon = cool.

You sacrifice styling for the practical shape, but I'll take one.
    Those are grounded to the ground, he wants smoother. ;)
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    It was an LE --- I never pushed it hard into any turns but it had plenty of "road feel." Would have liked to jump into a 328 just to see what's what. All along N. Scottdale Rd. , it seemed every used car lot was loaded with Bmw, MB,Lexus,Land Rover and Jaguar inventory. Some vintage but mostly fairly current. Huge Volvo dealer complex -- deserted further south. Some of the longest traffic lights I've ever experienced but the weather was great !
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    It looks good in some colors with some specific wheels that can match its beefiness. It's a huge car but in person it has a ton of presence.

I like it personally, but then I like nearly every production exotic car out there :shades:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,587
    edited February 2013
    My mom drives a Camry LE - not the latest model. It's VERY numb, maybe steering as numb is in a 1960s American car. It's fairly quick off the line though, and the engine is very smooth for a 4, decent NVH isolation. It does what it is meant to do very well.

That highline used inventory = lease returns from auction.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    The 2013 Camry has a super smooth drive train. The steering feels very solid and with the firm suspension seems far from numb to me but that's just me. I'm not very astute re car reviews. Take a test drive in a new one -- would be interested in your impressions vs your mom's Camry.
    Finally got behind the wheel.

Wow, I don't thin I had driven a Hyundai since the Scoupe came out. Several Kias, but I can't remember a single Hyundai.

Love, love, love the panoramic moonroof. It is HUGE both front and back, the shade powers open, the roof tilts and opens above the roof without robbing headroom. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 12. That much better than expected.

Played with the Navi for only a minute but the screen is sharp and big for this class. Eye candy. So far so good. Backup cam is nice, though the lines show distance but not trajectory. Not a big deal.

The leather seats are a bit firm, good side support but this isn't a sports car. The cloth seats were more comfy. Leather and cloth both heated, wow, even the cheap base model. Base had a cheap plastic steering wheel, upscale models had high grade leather. Materials are nothing special but were nicer than expected, still have that hooptie stereotype in the back of my mind.

Drive was ok but ride was too firm, IMHO. Style package forces the sports suspension and some chrome trim on the rims I didn't like. Also it had a bit more engine noise than I was hoping for.

Sales guy convinced me to try a Limited sedan to compare.

That car had same size rims and tires but the ride was much better. Better bump absorption without any degradation in handling. Makes me think an Elantra GT without the sports suspension would be better, but then I can't get the pano roof that drew me to the car in the first place. I also would pick cloth over leather, but that too is grouped with the pano option.

There was less engine noise in the sedan too. Not sure if the hatch is just noisier, or what.

Bummer is the sedan has a tiny moonroof, plus I want a hatch.

As is I'd rate the Impreza higher overall, but if Hyundai would offer the pano as an a la carte option I'd buy a base model with that and wrap the steering wheelskins. I've done that 3 times before.

Disappointed. :(
    Since 2006, my daily driver has been an E55 AMG, which has a pretty firm sporty suspension, gobs of effortless torque, etc, so that might make the Camry more shocking to me than someone who is used to a more mainstream car. I am used to flat cornering, and responsiveness that make me feel like a motorcycle compared to cars with half the power.

Maybe I'll end up in one as a rental - I never feel right test driving cars I have no intent to buy, as I know the sales industry is so cutthroat.
    Did you try the Driver Selectable steering in the Elantra GT? That's a neat feature which lets you change the steering feel between Comfort, Normal, and Sport at the push of a button.

edited February 2013
    That's too bad. The GT is easily the best looking Elantra, and the only one I would really want. Does it have rough low profile tires, too? I also don't care for shiny/chromy wheels on modern cars. Kind of dumb they combine luxury and sport in one package, when those sometimes attract a mutually exclusive buyer on a cheaper car.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited February 2013
    I never feel right test driving cars I have no intent to buy, as I know the sales industry is so cutthroat.

I agree, I've never test drove a car, just for the fun of it. I don't want a salesperson to waste an "up" just so I can have a joy ride.

I do know a guy who's sold Chevys for over 20 years. So I've thought about buying him lunch and driving some of the new Chevys when they hit the lots.

I'm with you on the older Camrys. My MIL has an 05 XLE v6. Nice car, smooth ride, the powertrain is in another universe compared to any domestic car I've driven in terms of refinement. But that steering, wow, I think my boat has more steering feedback;) Way to light for me.

I haven't driven a new Camry, but a friend of mine has a Tundra limited and I don't like the steering in it either. But if I could just get the Tundra powertrain in a domestic truck;)
    Didn't have a lot of time, and that seemed gimmicky to me.

Honestly that car did better when it didn't pretend to be sporty.

It's a very competent small car. Repackage it and I'm interested.
    The odd thing is I looked and both cars had identical tire sizes on 17" rims. I'd prefer 16"s on that type of car.

But it was definitely the "sports suspension" tuning that the Style Package forces you to get.

The Veloster offers 18"s so imagine that ride is like granite.

Base model is close, only really lacks the pano.

Hoping they offer it a la carte for 2014. Long shot.
    Hyundai has made a mistake. I think a lot of people who want leather and gadgets don't want a firm ride - and some who want a sporty ride don't want leather.

I can't see why pano can't be ala carte - it has been on MBs anyway.
    They won't do it because people on a budget aren't going to spring $1400 to add a pano roof on a base car with hubcaps.

In fact the roof option only appealed to top level buyers and even some of them didn't care for it.

Base car had 16" alloys, heated seats, Bluetooth, blue link telematics, 4 wheel discs, projector beam headlamps, heated mirrors, cooled glove box, cruise, map pockets behind both seats, arm rest, illuminated vanity mirrors, etc.

The GT base is already well equipped, much more than the sedan.

I'd just add the pano roof and a leather steering wheel cover.

I'd ask for Navi a la carte but that's wishful thinking.
    edited February 2013
    Oh, too bad. Maybe makes sense for another reason too, not many Hyundai buyers will special order, and odd option cars will linger on the lots. Probably so few would want to custom build that it isn't worth the hassle. Unlike the Germans, where you can still get anything you want. Want an E-class with absolutely everything but still have a vinyl interior? Done. Or one with absolutely nothing but pano? Done. Etc.

A real lux model with a softer suspension BUT all the toys might still have potential though.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,467
    I guess thus is one of those cases where perception is EVERYTHING. Coming from your Prius, the Camry LE might very well have a "super smooth drivetrain" & excellent road feel. Fintail's E55 AMG is powered by a hand built V8 engine that's mated to a bulletproof 5 speed automatic & very precisely tuned RWD chassis. I'm sure his car would make my BMW "feel" soft.

If you've never driven a BMW, don't unless you fully intend to buy one. Not because it would be a waste of a salesman's time, but because there is simply nothing else like it on this planet. My car's 230 horsepower Inline 6 is super smooth & perfectly balanced. The steering is weighted nicely and I always know exactly what the front wheels are doing. The suspension is solid, on the firm side, but quite compliant.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    Had a Toyota Rav4 on today's run to Ft. Myers without sat radio so I just plugged in the flash drive and after some initial problems, music started to come out from the speakers. I was one happy camper!! :) I have a 4 gig flash drive and 3.84 gigs of music in mt itunes account so all is good. I just will keep it in my backpack so if I get a car without sat radio I'm still good to go. Now I'm checking into finally getting a smart phone. On the way home, I asked the guy sitting next to me to find the closest branch of my bank near to where our meeting place is. A few minutes later he handed me his smart phone with all the info I needed...incredible! I went over to the Best Buy Mobile store after work and found a nice android phone from ATT for a buck with a 2 year upgrade and a $20/month data plan which should work. My older girl and wife both have the same data plan with the kid having an Iphone5 and the wife having a Samsung Focus Windows phone. I looked at an Impulse phone which is an android. It's not the newest model, hence the cheap price, but I'm good with that. Now all I have to do is convince my better half to let me do it. I think it'll come in handy now that I do have a job and ya know what, I deserve it!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

No, I don't recall you saying that about your granddad but cool that the job lasted so long. I am hoping for this job to last awhile...4 to 5 years sounds really good and like I said, I need to finish up my quarters for ss later on in life. Right now, nothing on the schedule tomorrow but I'll keep close to home and put a shirt in my car while I run errands so if he calls, I can shoot right down there. It's 26 miles each way and the majority of it is the turnpike or I-95 but a big construction job going on the last 6 or so miles. This "project" has been going on for like 5 years already with no end in sight. At this point, as long as my spine holds up, I'm going in when they need me. And I'll have a smile on my face every day! :)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited February 2013
    No runs schedules for tomorrow as of now, the run to Ft. Myers was very smooth. Had a Toyota Rav4 with just over 29k on the clock. Exhausted now so will write a report of the last to days in the morning. The Rav was pretty basic but did have a power seat which was appreciated...just wish it had lumbar support because it was not a comfortable seat and this is one car that The Sandman would never purchase because of this faux pas. Also, the steering wheel tilted but didn't telescope, another faux pas in a car at this price point! Toyota, please keep your eye on the ball folks! There really are much better cuv's on the market.

Until tomorrow readers...I am,

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    ended up not being an issue since my wife nixed my desire to get a Santa Fe, but they had the same issue there. They packaged up some options (notably the roof) so if you happened to want that, you pretty much had to get everything they offered.

the previous model was actually more normally equipped. More Honda-like.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    I saw the title, and had all kinds of jokes ready. But it actually looks a lot better done than I expected. Have to be losing some money on this baby. Probably still an adventure to drive though.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3596800192.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,380
    A few years ago my wife's 3 Series was involved in a small fender-bender and the insurance company provided a Camry rental car. Now, my wife is most definitely NOT a car buff, but she absolutely HATED the Camry. She commandeered my Pathfinder SE(my DD at the time and her former DD) while I drove the Club Sport. Between the two of us we drove the Camry less than 50 miles over the 7 days we had it.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Drove an '11 Camry SE on Sunday to Tampa and it was a very uncomfortable car to say the least...felt like Fred Flintstone I was so low and this was with the power seat at it's highest position. I just couldn't get a comfortable position! The car had decent pick up though the brakes were a bit mushy. I've been told by another driver that the new generation is so much better and I'm anxious to get to try one soon.Today's offerings were a bit bland except there was a new Ford Fusion that I totally missed unfortunately as I heard the driver saying it was a real nice driver across the Alley. Will keep my eyes out for another one in the near future.

Welcome to the 21st century. ;)
    Was that the old model or the brand new one that just came out?

At first glance I like the CR-V better.
    That would be really fun for about a week.
    Sounds like the GT I drove, you put huge rims and a stiff suspension on a car not engineered to be sporty from the get-go and the results are less than ideal.

If you drive the Fusion let me know if the narrow footwell bothers you.
    Maybe you'll get to drive some higher line vehicles too. I've read the turbo model ATS exists in the National fleet now - would be fun to try out something fancy.

In my area, a 26 mile drive could easily be 60-90 minutes during the morning or evening rush :sick: