Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    18.5 gallon tank plus 40+ mpg highway means bladder-busting range, too.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,860
    That's gotta be a rare bird - don't recall seeing a manual new style Passat in person.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    edited February 2013
    don't recall seeing a manual new style Passat in person

Driver100 over in SFTSF has one. He had to special order it IIRC.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    edited February 2013
    don't recall seeing a manual new style Passat in person

Driver100 over in SFTSF has one. He had to special order it IIRC.

His is the 2.5L gasser, not the diesel, but still, not something you would expect to see on the dealer's lot.

EDIT - OK, the VW dealer in Colo Springs has 4 manual Passats (all TDI) out of 43 total. 10% isn't that bad, I suppose.
    VW, Subaru, Mazda, BMW ... not many brands still offering manuals these days. Give 'em credit.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,334
    Yeah, I've seen the manual Passat TDIs on the lots here and there, but it's interesting to see a used one pop up. No sunroof or nav available at that trip level, but still a lot of car for the $23k.

Good point on the tank size - most high MPG cars naturally have small tanks, but that Passat will go a far way.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

Makes me want a manual E250 diesel (4cyl) - but MBUSA marketers would never let that in. It would almost be like a new old car.
    Americans would call it slow, no?
    edited February 2013
    0-100kmh in 7.7, so competent enough. The 250 series cars are the sweet spot - fast enough, but more efficient than the 350 cars. Overall consumption in whatever cycle they use in Europe is around 45mpg (5l/100km) - in a car of that size, impressive.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,682
    Had a short Miami to Ft. Lauderdale day planned and the whole crew was happy as we're booked solid from tomorrow through next Friday with a Jacksonville run Tuesday. But as we were about to leave the chief said he needed us to do another Orlando run afterwards. Brought nothing with me as did most of the others but what the heck...it's more $ so we were off. Everything that could possibly go wrong did and we didn't leave Miami till 4 p m. Hit bumper to bumper rush hour through to West Palm Beach and then the skies opened up. We need the rain terribly so for that I was thrilled but made for a rough drive. had a red Versa hatch and lucked out, a bunch of the others had Fiats and the new Versa sedan and all said they drove like crap in the heavy downpours...hydroplaned everywhere but I didn't have any issues and it was somewhat smooth sailing and for once, I was the first to pull into our Orlando meeting spot.

Needless to say we didn't get back to Lauderdale till after midnight and pulled into my garage at 1:03. Got into bed but still a bit wound up from the drive so decided to check in here. Got paid today and that was a good thing...can't wait to see what extra happens tomorrow. Expect the unexpected is what I'm doing now and I will always take my backpack with me from now on so I am prepared entertainment wise. That aux cable for the ipod works great so far so maybe the sales guy was right when he said it will fit in all the new vehicles. Now to get my new phone which will be...the HTC One Vue, a brand new android model...very slim and supposed to have great sound quality. Checked out the older Iphones from Apple, the 3s and the 4s but decided to go android for my first smart phone. Any thoughts, suggestions?? Watched a co-worker deposit his check at my bank with his smart phone...it was very slick and saved him a trip to the drive thru, something I'm doing in a few hours. It'll be nice to be able to snap a pic and deposit it from now on. Hopefully we'll get home at a decent hour tomorrow so I can go pick it up at Radio Shack.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,541
    Entertaining & informative - as usual.
    Thanks!
    Remind me of the outfit you actually work \ contract for?
    Are they local = only in Florida?
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    In my 60s, and on the lookout for a part-time gig...
    Yeah, that's definitely not slow.

Have you driven one? Are they responsive? Small displacement must have a little lag.

Last Benz diesel I drove was one generation back, it was quick but had a bit of that lag/then too much when you hit the throttle. I'm sure the BlueTecs are better.
    new Versa sedan and all said they drove like crap

Why did Nissan go backwards?

I hope the Versa Note (5 door) is better than the sedan.
    I've driven the lowest model - E200 CDi, back in 09. It was an early W212 car. A bit slower, 0-60 around 10-11 seconds, I think - felt like driving the old car, you had to plan ahead in some situations. But my average mpg including city crawls and 100+ on the autobahn was ~44mpg, not shabby.
    Fun update, thanks. The Versa is definitely built to a price - had one as a rental a few years ago (booked cheapest category). I got what I paid for. The hatch is the best looker, too - the new sedan just doesn't look right.
    The new sedan is awkward from any angle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,471
    Is that a 3-door or 5-door?

A 3-door would be right around $16k auction. A 5-door is more like $19k.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,471
    Received an email from an NJ dealer offering $25k off a seemingly leftover 2011 550i. Has about 500 miles on it. Sticker was near $80k. :surprise:

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Who wants a loaded 5 series? Go nab it quick!

$55k and it's gotta be loaded up to the gills.
    Bad thing to get stuck with. I don't see much point for the 550. Same for E550.

Local used lot has a 2010 550i GT, seems to have every single option but HUD (the one thing I would want), I think they want 40K for it - been sitting there for 2 months now. Probably cost around 80K as well, new.
    Dunno, $50k 5 series now have 4 bangers. A brand new 6 cylinder model would also cost more than that 500 mile demonstrator.

I drove a 535i sedan and then a 550GT and having sampled the V8 I'd say get that one. Why else would you get a BMW? The V8 is so much more responsive.

For $55k I'd pick that very lightly used V8 over any other 5 series. Well, except a wagon.
    For example, would you rather have a V8 BMW for $55k, or:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/15/2014-acura-rlx-first-drive-review/

$61k for FWD, 272 lb-ft, and 6EAT in an Acura?

In this day and age that is a steal for $50s pricing.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Oh boy, the RLX will be another black sheep in the mid size luxury segment. Who puts FWD into their top of the line luxury sedan? Even Hyundai figured it out that you need RWD to be a serious contender in this segment.

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

It's not even that.

For low $40s, nobody would blink.

But SIXTY ONE GRAND!?

They've completely lost their minds. And that's not even the AWD model.
    Well, we're comparing new to new, right? A low mileage CPO S550 etc can be had for the same price as a new Equus, but some don't like that comparison either.

When used, V8 is fine as it doesn't seem to command any premium over others - and might be easier to negotiate, probably less mass market demand.
    When I worked at Hyundai that's what most people (ok, the handful that actually looked at the Equus over a 6 month period) compared them to, - a pre owned S Class or Lexus LS.

I actually had a comparison chart done and the Equus Ultimate (with the 4 seats, massage, etc...) had more features than a 760Li or an S550 for about half the money.

But realistically if I was in the market for a car in this range ($72k CDN) I'd just go for a CPO Benz or Bimmer. The Equus is a perfect car for realtors or companies that want to chauffer their people around in complete luxury but without having to outlay a ton of money (relatively speaking) to do so spend a lot of money on maintenance.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,153
    That's insane pricing on the new Acura. It would be understandable for them not to offer a V8 if they offered a nice turbo V6.
    edited February 2013
    Those headlights, can't be unseen. And the whole thing is just so boring - why would I choose it over a GS? I thought the TL was the big Accord - this even looks like a big Accord. I am curious to see how it performs in AWD mode vs other AWD competitors. That's where it has the greatest chance to shine.

I predict maybe a couple thousand sold (to brand loyalists) initially, then sales ending up where the RL left off.

Oh, and "PAWS"? Funny.
    Sadly, it lacks the design and status desired by shoppers in that category. It's too anonymous, and the badge doesn't have such cred yet. The high model stickers around 65K here, and I can buy a lot of gently used luxoboat for that.

I have to wonder if there are any non-publicized leases available to it for corporate users. The consumer lease deals I have seen weren't amazing.
    Yeah I agree, and like you said in an earlier post, a few will sell to brand loyalists and that's it.

I never see anyone I know aspiring to drive a RL.