Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• wesleygwesleyg Posts: 164
    you took the words right out of my mouth!
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Posts: 133
    Don't you just love it. In looking over the paperwork from my last visit to service, they couldn't duplicate the rattle in the front of my car (until I showed them that the hood was so loose it was bouncing up and down when I hit bumps); :mad: they couldn't duplicate the problem with my clock gaining time and it was normal because it matched their car and cell phone clocks (yet they told me they reset it to the proper time); :mad: could not duplicate my car thinking it was dark enough for headlights in the bright sun so it dims my dash lights so much I almost can't read the clock so says they are working properly... There's more, but I won't bore you with it but believe me, they'll hear it again next time I go in. Glad I can vent. Thanks for listening, ya'll (showing my southern roots ;) ).
  • Not sure what forum this goes to, but....I read the posts here and at other forums and something just amazes me....maybe I'm an old fart here, but when I was a young kid/man we use to take our old cars and "hot rod" them..."soup them up".."chop and channel"..."lower and rake" them...etc..but, darn those cars were 8,10, 12 years old!!..I see here in the chevy forums and over there in the Honda forums that....(now, were talking brand new cars)guys rip there door panels off...rip the radios out, wanna add a super-charger to an already 300+ horsepower engine..I mean were talking high tech equipment here today...radios that do everything in the car, short of making you a cup of coffee!!!..And then , these owners will say, ok..now what do I do?...I mean you take $25-35K car rip it apart and then say.."now what"?...I guess I'm just getting old, but to take a brand new car, rip and tear it apart?...and not know what your doing? I can see taking Manufacturers accessories, adding them, but to tear a car apart, especially the electronics as sensitive as they are?....Question....I may be tone deaf, not sure....but are they radios in all these cars today that bad where you have to tear the door panels off to change the speakers?..I use to get ticked off because I had to change the tubes in the old tube-type radios we had back then!!...anyway, it just amazes me how anyone can take a new car, and start tearing it apart!!!....go ahead , jump all over me.....I'm just an old man..... :sick:
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Posts: 133
    Hey old man, I'm with you. Never hot rodded a car but you're right. The thing used to be to get old almost junk cars and bring them back to life by souping them up. I sure wouldn't have the money to take a chance on ruining my brand new car if I knew what I was doing. I have to admit that my radio doesn't have much volume. I have to turn it up to 25 or so just to hear it well over the wind and tire noise, but I'm not about to tear out dash and doors to change it or let anyone else do it.
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Bryan,
    I hear ya. I'm with you on everything but the occasional radio. My girlfriend was just looking at minivans and the difference between to Dodges was night and day to me...but she couldn't tell the difference. To each his own, I suppose but if you ask me, the "kids" today that are doing all the mods have too much money and too little sense. It also tends to be that they take their cars to a shop to have the mods done whereas the old school folks did them themselves. ...but, that's just my opinion. ;)

Ron
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 294
    I have a 2006 LT2 that has required no warranty service in 11,750 miles except for the screeching window (which I finally fixed with Armorall after two replacements of the rubber strip). The car cost $22,800 in March and is worth about $13,000 on a trade in now. You can buy a 2006 "Program Car" at a dealer for about $16,000. For $6,000 you could buy a lot of powertrain repairs. GM isn't giving anything away. Virtually all new cars with periodic oil changes and normal maintenance will run for 100,000 miles with a minimum of repairs. Your choice depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If you trade every 3 years or so ,a program 2006 with low mileage (8-10k) is a far better deal. You won't save that much on a left over 2006 over a new 2007 -probably no more than a couple of thousand dollars. Besides that you can order a new 2007 and get exactly what you want. The depreciation on a new Chevy (and most any other domestic car) is terrible so these are not cars to buy and trade in less than 4 or 5 years unless you want to be "upside down".
    I've experienced this attitude with Buicks and Chevrolets but the whole warranty experience is different with Cadillacs. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a certified used CTS over my new Impala. I may do it next time but I'm waiting for the Camaro convertible.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    >this attitude with Buicks and Chevrolets but the whole warranty experience is different with Cadillacs.

That may vary with the dealer. I've had great experiences with the Buick dealer. I was told Chevrolet _was_ less eager to pick up cost items that were questionable.

This message has been approved.

This is why I made absolutely sure that I purchased a model without the tire sensor. I drove for 45 years without this "feature". Any idiot can use a tire gauge if something looks low. On future cars if there is a way to defeat this silly thing I'll try and figure out how.
    You are right -it all depends on the dealer. I finally dumped a 2000 Buick LeSabre with 12,000 miles because the dealer wouldn't replace a strut bushing that creaked every time the car turned a corner. Everybody heard it in many trips to the dealer but nobody (including the zone guy) did anything about it. I just got tired of fiddling with the problem and yes, I should have driven 80 miles to another Buick dealer or invoked the lemon law.
    I like the tire pressure monitor. The feature is great but like anything, is worthless or annoying if it doesn't work properly.

I think the stats are that half the cars on the road have low tire pressure. Features like this will eventually improve that statistic...increasing safety, improving fuel economy, and (idealistically) reducing our reliance on foreign oil. ;)
  • mymittiesmymitties Posts: 242
    Agreed ....I like the " Tire Pressure Monitoring Sytem " (TPMS) feature on mine as well..!! Gives me that, you know, safe, warm and fuzzy feeling like you get when you are comfortably sitting back and reading your Performance Chevy magazines with a nice warm cup of coffee. :blush: Help me out here guys...Other than seeing the general message of " Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System " on my screen before my total Fob fix (Wow, it's about day 11 now and still working perfectly), does the TPMS on the Impalas identify and report on your screen which specific tire is having an air pressure problem..?? :confuse: Or, is it just the usual general statment that I am so used to.... Just curious....
    Thanks
    Frank ;)
  • Mornin Frank, everyone...

I had low pressure in my left rear tire one day and the system specified which tire it was..............talk later.........bryan
  • mymittiesmymitties Posts: 242
    Thanks Bryan, really good to know..!! :)
    Sorry I can't remember.. is yours an '06 or '07.
    If '07, are you aware of any difference in the TPMS
    to my '06..??

And hey by the way, I am still waiting for you to tell
    us all how awesome your new SS GM wheels are and look. :shades:
    Any progress / any decision..??

Thanks
    Frank ;)
  • Frank,
    Mine is the old "06 model.....and no wheels yet....$2500 for those puppies...... :cry: ........maybe someday...
  • martin22martin22 Posts: 53
    We soon won't have a choice: (from Google search)

"Federal Law Requires Tire Pressure Monitoring

DETROIT — According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA), any vehicle with a gross weight less than 10,000 lbs. sold on or after Sept. 1, 2007 must be equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system(TMPS).

Under the new Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act, consumers will now be able to pay closer attention to their tires, which in turn promotes better fuel efficiency and highway safety. The TMPS is designed to alert drivers on their instrument panel of changes in tire air pressure.

Source: Limo Talk National Newswire "
    Pretty cool...good to see the technology being spread around to everyone. :)

Frank, second on Bryan's report. The current system tells which tire is the offender. The older systems just let you know a tire was low but not which one.
  • axle52axle52 Posts: 36
    With my experience with this topic and I have had the problem with the light coming on before and after the fix. The message did report that there was not a reading on a specific tire at the time the Message came on, but there is also a specific warning on the DIC when one tire is low on pressure. Check your manuals and you will see what I mean.
  • corny40corny40 Posts: 20
    No offense, but in your own words, your "just an old man." Hell, in some people's book, I'm an old man too (35 ;) ), but, why do you care what someone else does to their car?

I think it's all about personalization/customization. I don't know about you, but I like knowing that no one else in the world has an Impala like mine.

Also, why do you consider it "ripping" or "tearing" apart. Do you have any idea how easy it is to remove a door panel? A few screws, a few clips, and as long as you're careful, no problem. Nowadays, with the internet, it's almost impossible to not know what you're doing. If you do your research or pick a reputable seller, you'll have all the info/help you need.

Finally, do you really think the aftermarket automotive accessory industry would be a multi-billion dollar industry if everyone was damaging, "ripping", and "tearing" apart their car?

Sorry, if I seem a little rude, but you said I could jump all over you. Believe me, if you like your car the way it is, then by all means, leave it alone, but don't criticize others for spending their own money and time doing something they want. Just my $.02 :)
  • enjoy your car, Corny......