Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• ljm43ljm43 Posts: 5
    I am new to this site. I was researching my rights when I stumbled across this. Four years ago my husband & I bought the 2002 Chevy Impala-our very first new car....we loved it....he wanted to trade it in when we had it three years but the style hadn't changed so we waited. On aug 17 we bought the 2006 Impala SS. We don't even have the car two weeks & this is the second time it is in the shop. We are VERY upset. If you go over a bump or hit the brakes hard it stalls out on us. Today my husband was driving it & it stalled in the middle of a busy street & he couldn't get it started again. We were just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.
  • bigjaybigjay Posts: 26
    Err... Ummm... yeah. You're gonna hate this but....

I'm paying sticker for a loaded SS. The sticker here in "LA - LA Land" (Thousand Oaks, Ca.) is $31k and change. I'm trading in my '01 Impala LS with 137k miles on it and the dealer is giving me $4,200.00 for it. In addition, I'm dumping about three grand in cash into the drive offs on a 3 year lease.

My monthlies, including 20k miles a year are in the high $200.00 range, including tax.

I must confess, I am an Insurance Agent with a major national carrier. I own my own agency, and yes, there are some rate perks that come with the job. I also have a clean DMV record, I am a non smoker, I get a multi car discount, and I obviously have my home, rental property and life insurance all with the same company. In addition, my wife is a school teacher and therefore qualifies for an extra "Affinity Group" discount.

In short, my monthly payment, including insurance is only in the mid $300's! That's why I did it! My colleagues are all driving "luxo rides" to convey image. My SS is black on tan. It looks cool, it's a conservative 4 door sedan and based on all the feedback I got from all of you in earlier posts, it looks professional enough to use for work.

In the meantime, I'm saving hundreds of dollars a month vs the near $1,000.00 a month payments (plus insurance) my buddies are making!

In fact, the money I'm NOT spending on a "luxo ride" continues to go toward business development and marketing of my agency! I should also mention....
    my agency is larger than most too...
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    GMC will be the last to learn how to build a safe car and a car that gets good mileage. GM cares only about racing and eating up fuel.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Too bad about your car but it sounds like just an adjustment is needed. Hopefully it's resolved soon. With a new car and new engines, there is bound to be a couple of hiccups in a few cars.
  • Engine is not new. They have been using the DOD 5.3L since 2004 in the EXT Trailblazer as an option. We have had very few problems and GM has roadtested that engine up to 150000 miles.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,503
    “But... 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds? The car scoots along pretty well, but it just didn't feel "that" fast! Felt more like upper 6 seconds.

Sub six second 0 to 60 times are the natural habitat of some seriously fast cars”

CD test result numbers for the GXP:

5.7 --- 0-60
    14.3/98mph --- 1/4 mile
    143 top speed
    .82 g lateral
    174 ---70-0 braking

- Ray
    Not ready for 143, but 14.3 and 5.7 sounds like what my “butt dyno” reads . . .
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    There are actually two types of position detectors - for front airbag activation, and for side airbag activation. Impala has only the detector for front airbag activation. See Honda's discussion of its system for deactivating side air bags for vulnerable riders.
    I wasn't talking about the 5.3L specifically though it is fairly new still. The 3.5L VVT and 3.9L are both new as is the Impala as a whole (only 25% carryover).
  • They are telling us it is the module(spelling?) (the main computer). It will take at least three days to get the part...I don't know with the long weekend when I will get the car back. We are driving a rented car that Chevy is paying for but we are not happy. Some people that I talk to tell me I should tell Chevy that we want a NEW car others are saying to wait & see what happens now. I am so overwhelmed I don't know what to do. Meanwhile with school starting next week this has been a huge inconvenience, exactly what we were trying to avoid in the first place.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I dont know how it is in Canada, but in the US, every single Camry trim line has available Side and Curtain Airbags. Check out the IIHS.org website... the tested model was a XLE 4cylinder, not a V6. (For 2006, more Camrys will be available with side curtains... expect to see the majority of LE 4s, for example, with the option).

~alpha
    Maybe they option them different in the US. Don't know.

Not defending GM for not including them but side impact tests were good with out them on the 2005 so I would expect the same if not better for the 06. If side impact is 5 star with out them then I would say they are not really needed.

At least curtains are standard though, thats certainly more than Camry.
    Not much fun but you have a car to use so I'm not sure why you are inconvenienced.

I don't think you close to a point where you need a new car yet. A computer module is an easy thing to change.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I would not worry too much about your car. It will be fine.

GM's Oshawa plant builds great cars and the car should be fine once they fix the module. Better you caught it early rather than on a 500 mile trip.

:)
  • I took delivery of my 2006 Impala SS last Wednesday nite. Some initial impressions....

It's cool! It's comfortable, it's fast and the more I drive it, the more I like it. In short, I'm glad I bought it! I'm REALLY glad I didn't get the Ford 500! They are simply not equal cars.

We need to remember, the Impala is Chevy's answer to the Camry, Accord and Altima. It's interior is equal or better than the others, it's over all size is equal, etc., etc. However, when one shoe-horns in a small block V8, all bets are off.

With that little addition, the Impala is head and shoulders better than a lot of other (good) cars. Does it approach the relm of equality of the 300C? Honestly, now that I've had it a few days, I'd say: Yeah!

Admittedly, it not as fast perhaps, but it's so close, my "butt dyno" doesn't care! And, I'll concede, the Impala SS doesn't carry the same "bling" factor as a 300C, but maybe that's a good thing.

One odd observation though....

When driving at low speeds in city traffic, if left in 4th gear, the trans seems to wander a little. By driving the car in 3rd gear in city traffic, the trans seems to have more intuition about what to do. It runs smoother and the wandering sensation seems to go away.

However, from a dead hang, if one starts in 1st and shifts at 5,100 rpm intervals, the car turns into a budget priced rocket! It's reeal fuuuun!

Bottom line: I like it!
  • The mileage on the new Impala's? Where'd that 3.9 engine come from? I don't care much for the '99 Monte Carlo inspired front end on the new Impala but really like the rest of the car.
    We have a '00 Impala and I think its time to upgrade. Our '00 does real well on gas however, 30 miles on the highway running about 70....imagine what it would get at 55, guess I'll never know LOL.
    Any sites or reviews you guys can turn me on too would be appreciated!
  • I just joined this forum and of course today the gas prices are out of site. Anyway, some people have to commute a ridiculous amount of miles to go to work and put food on the table for their families? You know food ?- the human body's "fuel".

I am attempting to reply to the person who asked about the 45-50,000 miles per year question.
  • I am inconvenienced because I am paying for a new car & not driving it plus the the radio & onstar are free for a certain amount of time & I am not using them. Plus the car that they gave us to rent is a two door & it doesn't have any of the frills that my 06 has. Today is a week that they have the car. They still haven't gotten the part so I have no idea when I will get it back. I know it could be worse, I just hope that this is the end of the problems & the car doesn't give me any more trouble.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    "We need to remember, the Impala is Chevy's answer to the Camry, Accord and Altima."

Thought that the Malibu fills that role. How about the 500, Maxima, Avalon and Azera. In that camp the 500 is pleasant but plain (sort of like the Impala, but with poorer engine choices), much better in the styling department (IMHO) than the Maxima (which I think is like the strangely ugly big sister to the great looking Altima), less sophisticated and more down scale (again IMO) than the Avalon or (probably) the Azera.

It is a great improvement over the earlier Impala, however, especially since the platform doesn't look all-new to me. I personally like the durability and gas mileage of the GM OHV engines--I have the 3.5 base engine in my Maxx, and it's nice to have a V8 in there if torque steer can be controlled.

BTW-- Why is this still listed under future vehicles?
  • Yes, the 2006 Impala was designed to compete with the Camry and Accord and Altima. Bob Lutz said that at the introduction of the new Impala and Monte Carlo at the LA Auto Show.

Also, check out this month's Car and Driver (The one with the new Z06 on the cover.) See page 72. There is an article talking about the new Impala. It retiterates the zero to 60 times at 5.7 secs and confirms who the competing cars are.

I'm not exactly sure who the Malibu is targeted at... I assume the Corolla and the Sentra.

As far as why we are still talking about future cars in this thread, I'm not sure. Maybe because the cars have just hit the showrooms so recently that these postings are the first waves of feedback to be posted...sort of hot off the press stuff.
  • A good friend just bought a new Dakota pickup. On the drive home he noticed a bad vibration at about 70 (why he didn't take a more extensive test drive puzzles me). He immediately returned to the dealer and they said it was out of alignment. They aligned it and re-balanced the wheels. He left the dealer it still vibrated, not as bad, but it was still there. He took it back they gave him a loaner.
    A week later they called him, asked him to drive it and see what he thought. Although they replaced the axles etc. it still vibrated. They told him to go out on the lot and pick out another truck, which I thought was real decent of them. The one he picked out was $900 dollars more then the original truck but they let him have it for the same price, even though he bought the other one for "employee price"
    This has little to do with your problem just shows what a dealer can do if they want. As far as Onstar and XM, if this drags on too long they could/should make an adjustment and prolong the free period.
    Good Luck
    Congrats.. glad you like the new SS.
    Well, I guess a 2 door is not convenient but on the other sidce you are using miles up on another car and not yours. Hope you get your car back soon.
  • I think if your over 40 this new V8 Impala SS with front wheel drive will be hard to love when compared to what the SS legend was built on. Like the HHR, it will capture only a few sales specially once it's no longer the focus of magazine covers. Sadly , the legend didn't live on, only the badges. When the Impala is referred to as a GM answer to Camry , well, that's just sad. Where's the Heritige in that?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    "I'm not exactly sure who the Malibu is targeted at... I assume the Corolla and the Sentra"

Then what about the Cobalt? The Azera and Avalon are better appointed than the Impala, so in that sense you could maybe say that they're aimed at the next level. The 500 aims directly at the Impala and the Fusion goes up against the Malibu. I came from a large compact (Elantra) to the Maxx and they don't compare at all and (I think) the Elantra is significantly larger than the Corolla and the Sentra in interior space. The Malibu (especially Maxx) and Sonata are both classified as large cars in the next EPA step above the Camcord, although I'm sure the Japanese competition will catch them when the new platforms come out.
    Could not disagree more. While your perception of the Impala may be as you describe, the REALITY is the Impala is a very capable competitor to the Camry. Better quality for 5 years running, more power and power options, more base power, similar quality interior, more room and competitive pricing.

The people who have a poor or biased view of American cars like yourself will be a tuff sell, but the truth be told, the Impala is more than capable of competing with Camry and I can't wait to see some comparisons in the moto mags.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Recently check out the Chevrolet website.......they offer two optional wheel styles, for the 2006 Impala. 1 for the LTZ and one for the SS. Kind of sporty!
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    More accessories for the 2006 SS from Chevrolet......1) SS instrument cluster face plate uses SS graphics with blue background and sport color within the gauge faces.........2) Brushed aluminum pedals for a sporty interior appearance. Now the car is starting to show what Super Sport should mean.
  • Yes , I would be a very tuff sell.Malibu was the designated Camry fighter and of course it failed. When you have a better quality rating and a lower price and you still can't approch Camry's sales numbers or Camrys perception of quality, that's a big problem. The entire GM line up has just such a problem.GM is stuck with it's history of its very recent past and it'll take more than a positive review to get many people to open up their wallets to purchase any GM product. We more or less expect Camrys and Accords to look somewhat bland. GM has a big styling problem and Lutz hasn't been the solution. You can't build the Aztek , and expect it to not remain a reminder of GM's total lack of direction.GM has struck out too many times and too many of us are tired of GM invoking the Chicago Cubs Motto "Wait till next year" The 06 Impala looks too much like a first generation Intrepid. And the HHR is just another attempt by GM to pretend they are the styling leader, and it falls smack into the PT-me-too catagory. The Soltice has a lot of Fiero baggage it has to carry no mater what Bob Lutz has to say about it. The GTO looks like a Grand Am, and the G6 is a car known only to those who won one on Oprah. The Cobalt does not look like a new model , but rather a revised Cavalier with available bigger engines. This has largely been the GM/Bob Lutz solution...Bigger engines dropped into a revised chassis with little else to intice the buying public except "Employee discounts." 2006 will be a water shed year for GM, but not a good year. Wait and watch. Bill C.
  • The Impala looks like a first generation Intrepid? Not in my book, it doesn't. The first generation Intrepids were very distinctive and stood out from anything else on the market at the time. They also had cab forward styling that was very radical for its day.

I like the Impala for lots of other reasons, but styling isn't one of them. I would say, if anything, it looks very generic...certainly not like a first generation Intrepid (or any other Chrysler product).
  • I do not see that in the 2006 Impala.

We checked them out this past saturday.

Not too bad of a car, although I will not buy a first year Impala after the engine cradle fiasco of our 2000 Impala LS

Tony