Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Hopefully Chevy keeps making some improvements to this car every year or so, or it will soon fall by the competition wayside. 6 model years was way too long for upgrades and improvements in the last Impala. From most of the tests I have seen on the 2006 Impala the brakes need to be made larger, to handle the extra weight the car has gained. 138 feet from 60-0 is last place by todays standards in its group. Also the front seats definetly need side support in the SS similar seats to the Pontiac GXP to make it feel like a super sport. Chevy needs to listen to the testers to keep this car a top seller.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    2006 Impala will debut at the LA Auto Show in early January. I can't wait to see what it looks like.....I'll post some photos for all to see.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    kool,

lookin forward to seeing some real photos.

These spy shots we see do not show anything worth looking at
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I understand that the February 2006 issue of Car and Driver already has a picture of the Impala. I probably won't get my copy in the mail until late next week.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Yes, its one exterior shot. The vehicle looks more attractive, but fairly chunky/fat.

~alpha
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Can't wait to see this car. I'm really hoping for a high quality interior and some good nips and tucks.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I strongly suspect that the Impala will have the LS4 V8 because the GP will have it in the GXP model. I would expect the powertrains to include the 3500 and 3900 as well. If you want to know what features the Impala SS will offer you can look at the '06 GXP. I doubt the Impala will offer anything different from the GP, but it shold have a better interior. If the cobalt is any indication of where Chevy interiors are going I would expect the Impala to have a nice interior. The Malibu's interior isnt bad, it just needs better gauges and more color.
  • There's a pic of the 06 Impala up at C&G.
    One post at the chevrolet news forum indicates that the 2006 Impala engine lineup is: 3500 V6 210 HP......3900 V6 240 HP.......SS 5300 V8 303 HP......13 more then the Pontiac GXP...thats the latest rumour.
    I went to a Cadillac dealership to check out the new STS. While there, I decided to check out the new Buick LaCrosse. The exterior looks like crap, but the interior was impressive! I was really surprised. If GM can make the interior of the Impala look similar to the LaCrosse, GM has a winner.

Pricing is key. Sweet spot is $25K for a fully loaded LS. Anything more than that will require rebate to move them out! Nowadays, you can get a Maxima SE for under $25K with rebate.
    I think we're in trouble. The 2006 Impala (at least in the front end) looks very similar to Honda Accord's front headlights and front grill. I can't really see the back end, but it looks as round as the Pontiac G6.

There goes my GM rebate points. Looks like I'll be pissing those points away.....

The Maxima SE is starting to look real good....
    Save your GM points until 2008 when the Impala gets the Zeta platform with RWD, 6 speed automatic, more performance, and other improvments. 2008 will be the 50th anniversary for the Impala so I am sure there will be a "SPECIAL EDITION" Impala in 08'...I can't wait!!
    I like the pics people have posted from the FEb issue of Car and Driver. I think the front end of the '06 model is much better than the current model. I do want to see the rear end. Considering this is a mass market family sedan, I think the styling is on the mark. It is definitely better looking than the ugly Maxima. If you like that car then I guess the refined look of the Impala isnt for you.
  • bh628bh628 Posts: 100
    Can you post any links for those pictures? I would love to see what the new Impala looks like. I went to caranddriver.com, but I couldn't find the pictures.

Thanks.
    Well, this American icon (Impala) is now turning into a Japanese wanna-be sedan.

Also, there's hardly any room for the bowtie to fit in that tiny looking Accord front grill.

I'll be at the LA Auto Show next Sunday. I'll post a complete photo of the new Impala.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    The main thing about the Impala I like are the powerful new engines. Otherwise, for about the same amount of money, I like the Ford Five Hundred better - more interior and cargo room, advanced Volvo platform, available AWD.
    I like it. I saw it on another site I can not link.

So long as it has a good interior, I may buy one in a few years.

3.5L / 210 hp base is ok but the 3.9L 240 hp model sounds like my kind of car. The SS gets a V8.
    The rear of the 2006 Impala has very large lights in the corners (similar to the current Malibu) and the trunk is body colored, no more plastic across the back. Rumour is that black interior will be an option with the SS. The SS will be available with 5.3 V8 303 hp, not sure if an 18" wheel option will be available on the SS......for those that haven't seen the front of the car that has been shown on many different web sites there is a two piece grille. short rectangular grille above the front bumper that looks like an old style monte carlo.....and below the bumper a very large grille that follows the lines through from the top grille, gold bowtie in the middel of the top grille...the front headlights are very large jewel type that are more on an angle then the current straight across ones. the front hood a little higher at the front with a steep flow over to the grille. the side mirrors are fold away, the rear C pillar window lines flow with the rest of the window lines, the SS has chunky style wheels similar to the new Cobalt SS style wheels......
    I would expect the SS to have 18" rims just like the GP GXP. The wheels in the picture appear to be the wheels from the Cobalt SS. I dont understand why the V8 has 303hp when it has 290hp in the GXP. I think this car looks considerably better than the 500. I want to see the interior.
    Someone posted on another website Jan 3rd that the Impala will have 3 levels. Base, LT, SS. The LT will have 17" wheels, with leather interior.....The SS will have 18" wheels and offer leather or cloth interior....2 or three new exterior colors...pictures of the 2006 Impala are suppose to be available on Wednesday...stay tuned!
  • Sob...now I know how the 1996 Impala Owners felt when they first saw the 2000 Impala.

I own a 2000 Impala and looking at the 06, it just isnt even close to appealing. Looks like a bigger less blocky Malibu.

But in the end, I must admit that with that big engine, I will be in line to get one. dieing to see the interior and some engine bay pictures. One more thing, I am wondering if they will still offer a police package Impala, and if so it has to pass the 25 Miles at Wide Open Throttle test, which engine will they qualify for that test?
  • ...like they took a 2004 Impala and overinflated it by 15 psi.

Turboshadow
  • The chevy website has complete pics of the new impala, and after seeing the engine options and interior shots, it really is a world of difference. The new Impala SS really makes up for the lack of engine power chevy gave us for the last 5 years on the older impalas. Just wondering what the pricing will be like.

It will be kinda nice to have a V8 in an Impala again, and nice to actually show up some kid with a coffee can strapped to his tail-pipe.
  • hvanhvan Posts: 56
    Tell me. Doesn't that look like Honda Accord (front end) with Accord front grill and headlights?
  • I didnt mind some people saying the 00-05 Impala's were ugly, at least they were distinct and you didnt mistake one for being something else. But the 2006 Impala's are just soooooooo Camry-Accord-pickanyotherimport-ish.

Never thought my 2000 Impala would be called good looking, but at least at wont be called Honda or Toyota like the 06 Impala will. Damn, I need to move to Australia, those Holden's really look sharp compared to GM North America's cars.
  • bh628bh628 Posts: 100
    Can you please show that Chevy link for the Impala pictures? I went to http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/ and couldn't find the '06 pictures. Thanks
    YOu have to go to future vehicles to see the pics of the '06 model. This car is MUCH better than the last generation car. If you think this looks like a camry then you obviously arent someone who pays attention to detail. The old car was more distincitve but it cant compare to this one in terms of refinement.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    This vehicle looks like it will be a substantial improvement over the older model. Styling is much enhanced, inside and out, and hopefully, the interior materials and fit and finish will be as good as they appear in the photos.

Side Head Curtain airbags are standard, thats a big plus. However, I can't exactly tell if Side Chest airbags will be optional on the LS and LT, as they are stated optional (it seems) only for the LTZ (didn't check the SS).

Also, will the 3.9L Variable Valve Timing engine be available at least on the LT? I personally dont like leather (std. on LTZ), and itd be a shame to reserve this newer, better engine for only the LTZ version.

Finally, the current Impala isnt a great car, but its not a bad one either. As this new model approaches, I can only imagine the deals will be even better on '05s. Either way, the consumer wins.

~alpha
    I wish it had the Chevy bar accross the front grill but otherwise this car is a winner. Interior looks competitive and dare I say even better than most any midsize car. Ya it's a bit bland but so are most cars in this class. The LTZ with the 3.9L VVT would be what I would buy no doubt.

Good work Chevy!!!!!!! Maybe I will trade in my Intrigue in a couple of years for one.