Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    If you want the BEST rear leg room, get a Malibu Maxx.

Rear seat can be moved back and forth like the front. Very cool. Maxximum leg room.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    ..looks to be very handy(and practical),but the rear skyroof turned me off-Too much of a headroom weaster...
  • 2006 Chevy Impala LS - has OnStar and I would like to add XM. Can I add on an aftermarket receiver so XM will work with the existing sound system. The XM will work through On-Star. Help, I do not want to have to buy a separate receiver. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_confused.gif
    confuse
  • Have to go thru the radio to reset everything in the Impala, the change oil, low tire warning lights etc etc....what a dumb set-up that was/is
    I like the rear sky light, very cool and unique feature.

Lots to like about the Maxx. The hatch features gives you a lot of flexibility also. Still like the Impala better over all though.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    This isn't a normal sunroof. There's no loss of head room as the glass is fixed.
  • I see so many posts on these boards regarding snow traction. Let me dispell something. I live in an extremely snowy and very hilly place (Duluth, Minnesota) and I've never seen anywhere else in the country where there's such a combination of ice and snow and loooooooong winters and very steep hills. I have two vehicles: a FWD GM sedan and a 4WD Suburban. I've got off-road tires on the suburban. In 4wd it will go ANYWHERE. In rear-wheel drive mode only it is pretty poor, even with top-grade tires. On my FWD car, I put Blizzak snowtires on it in winter and it is also nearly unstoppable -- I drive with snow pushing over my hood sometimes, and it still keeps going. Bottom line: a front drive car with good tires will get anyone through just about any weather. I can drag-race 4WD trucks that have mediocre tires and beat 'em with my front drive car in the snow. RWD sucks in the snow, basically (I've driven every kind of car). 4WD is great if you really do off-roading (which I do) or tow.( But, it doesn't stop you any faster!)
    The most important thing for snow traction is tires.
    The two things that have stopped me from getting some good snow tires has been cost and storage space. I have no where to keep winter tires. They are great for winter though.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    there seems to be a lot trim around the fixed glass...It was brushing against me head. Does the Malibu sedan seem roomier than the Impala to anyone else?
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Chevrolet announced that the very early 2006 Impalas June/July have a obtrusive lumbar support in the front seats......Impalas manufactured from August onward have had the lumbar re-engineered for a more comfortable front back support in the front seats.
    Interesting. Wonder if the people complaining about the seats in reviews are driving early cars or August + cars?

Hopefully the new seats are better than what some reviewers are complaining about, seating is important to me.
    This information was from James Healey from a Nashville newspaper who did a test drive of the new Impalas......his information came from GM regarding the lumbar problem. Its based on early complaints. I read a first test report from a husband/wife team that tests cars. They drove a 2006 Impala SS for several hundred miles around Michigan over all types of roads. She also indicated on a long drive she had to put a towel behind her because of the backache from the drivers seat back. I don't know what stability control is but its suppose to be on the 2008 Impalas, according to James Healey. Regarding the lumbar problem, its good to see that GM is fixing problems as they arise. Before they would wait until the next model year........or not at all. Many road test reports of the new Impala seem to favor the LTZ as a better all round package then the LS or the SS. It offers a smoother ride and the power is more then sufficient. The husband/wife team (car testers) complained that the loud exhaust from the SS on a long highway drive was annoying. I will wait until more reports come in before I decide to buy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,563
    “The husband/wife team (car testers) complained that the loud exhaust from the SS on a long highway drive was annoying.”

I find this very surprising.

I drive a GXP. While not identical, I expect that much of the system is very similar – and if anything, I expect that the GXP’s is louder.

The exhaust on my GXP is quite noticeable almost everywhere ** EXCEPT ** at cruising speeds on the highway. Then, it is virtually indistinguishable from \ blends in with the general background noise at 60 MPH or higher. My hearing is (still) quite acute \ sensitive, and I do not find the highway noise level in any way objectionable or annoying.

Perhaps I will have to drive an SS . . .

- Ray
    Quite curious, now . .
    The report was Sept 14th by Paul & Anita Lienert. They have been testing cars for a few years.........he gave the 206 Impala SS car 4 out of 5.....she gave it a 3 out of 5. Her words regarding the exhaust from the SS......."LOUD EXHAUST WEARS ON NERVES AFTER SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES"

One interesting complaint was when the front door windows were down the glass rattled. I hope thats not a built in problem with all the Impalas.

Overall they liked the car but they gave their pros and cons. During their several hundred mile trip they averaged 19 mpg.....they thought it should have been higher. Paul believed the car overall was a very good choice compared to the competition.
  • one very important aspect (no pun intended) of snow tires is the width. definitely get narrower tires if possible, especially when comparing them to a "performance" size that is considerably wider than needed in the snow. foccusing the weight on a smaller contact patch makes all the difference in the nasty stuff.
  • couple of points: a 300 hp all aluminum small block in fwd with a gm 4 speed automatic...there will be very little that will get away from you at a stop light...oh, by the way, it's the fastest SS produced to this date....not too shabby...and i had a 64 impala SS...back in 64.

the size of the impala is akin to the avalon, not the camry...
  • NONONO! thats the Malibu's job.

This one is sized more like an avalon!
  • I was looking at a picture of the Chevrolet SS, a concept car, and it dawned on me. GM should have used the front end on the SS, and pasted it on to the 06 Impala. Obviously, make the car four door and make it longer. But the SS front has the look of aggressiveness that we have come to expect from an Impala.

Go here to see what I'm talking about:
    Chevrolet SS front styling
  • I have driven and compared the 2006 Impala, 2006 Sonata, 2006 Altima, 2005 Camry, 2006 Malibu.

From my memory, the Camry, Altima and Malibu have more rear legroom than the Impala. The Avalon has much more rear leg room than all the others mentioned.

The Sonata and Impala are about the same interior size, Impala exterior is just longer.

I have no idea what the Malibu should be compared against. While the Malibu has good legroom, front & rear, it is a noticeably narrower car than anything else in the mid size class. Against the Camry, it would never win on size.

Buying a car in this class comes down to personal preference, not size.
    http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/2006/chevrolet/impala/

Unfortunately you can not build one yet, the 05 info is still in there.
  • Well it is more than three weeks & I still don't have my car back. It is becoming a huge problem. They put in a new module & still had a problem now they have taken out the alarm. They still aren't sure the problem is fixed. They want us to take the car but we can't. It is the only car we have & can't afford to get stuck with it...plus who wants a brand new car with spliced wires??? & no alarm!!! We are supposed to have a meeting with the regional sales manager this week. We will see what happens. Is there any info out there about putting in alarms on the new 06? It is a good possibility that the alarm is what has caused this whole mess in the first place.
  • Does anyone know what the top speed of the 2006 Impala SS is? I have brought it up to 138 but have not toped it out.
    Hopefully you weren't doing that in a school zone.

;)
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    Yes. Anything installed aftermarket CAN cause troubles, alarm systems often do. As for spliced wires in a new car: when they installed your alarm, they spliced some wires. I understand you are aggravated with the dealer having your car this long, however, they are dealing with basically an all-new vehicle. It's different than the last Impala.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    Well, he wasn't in the school zone for long! :blush:
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I recently decided to take a 2006 Impala LTZ for a test drive. The car was black with the stainless steel look interior. It had a power moon roof and was pretty loaded.

First off, the car felt solid. My 2004 Grand Prix feels good also, but this car felt even better. Power was noticeable stronger though maybe not as much more I though it would be. Handling seemed similar to my GP GT.

The interior was clean and well assembled. The car is very conservative to look at both inside and out so you can see Camry and Accord were in mind as competitors. I guess at least GM has some size and available power on the competition.

Over all I was impressed. I think anyone looking for a midsize car should check out the new Impala. I never cared for the old one but I think you would be foolish to skip the new one if you are shopping around.
    The 3.9L would be my choice I think. Nice compromise between the base and V8 with above average power and features.
  • Has anyone leased a new 06? I would be interested to hear what sort of residual you were quoted. GM is starting to make cars that deserve a look, but the potential of catastrophically poor resale keeps me from pulling the trigger.