Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I'm sorry you took such great offence to my question?? I was merely wondering if you thought the car was not what you expected or hoped for?

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

You mention lots of good points (and some bad points) but then come to the end saying you are "now waiting for the next new/or updated Impala" and this car "should have happened 2 years ago" so I was trying to clarify your opinion.

I have actually sat in the 06 Impala and I spoke with the salesman for a few minutes which I got my oil changed. I didn't realize I would have to drive it before I asked you a question.
    Thanks for your support. It was just a question, nothing more? I agree with many of "charts" comments actually.

New Impala is certainly not perfect. I would say the styling is a bit too conservative and the wood inside the base models is not the best looking IMO. I would prefer no wood actually.
  • Let's knock off making any more. If you don't like someone's opinion, please skip it. Negative comments about vehicles are welcome along with the positive comments, and we appreciate every member's opinion about the 06 Impala. Having a variety of opinions posted will help potential shoppers make their own decisions. Comments are welcome whether a member has driven the vehicle or not!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I probably came on kind of strong about my comments, no personal attack intended.

I believe the 2006 Impala SS will do well. We all have wish lists of what a car should look like or offer. I know the 00-05 Impala's had some problems early on. The cracked welds on the cradle, the warped brake rotors, the intake manifold leak, and a few of transmission problems. Over time these issues were delt with. For years auto manufactures seldom listened to customers complaints unless safety issues. Because competition is so important today, the manufactures are listening and changes are being made. I was happy to see Chevy re-introduce the Impala name plate again back in 2000 I have owned several Impalas including 2 sixties SS cars. I do believe with any car name plate there is always room for upgrades, or improvements, not necessarily major changes.

A cars appearance to (me) is very important. Many are just happy with reliable transportation, and thats fine there are lower models of the Impala to satisfy their needs. This new SS offers amenities that previous Impalas didn't offer and some amenities were deleted. I know GM is in a financial mess and making a product to satisfy most everyones desires is impossible, but quality & reliability have improved substantially. In Jim Kenzies report regarding the Impala he like many others compares the Impala to the Accord/Camry. The exterior dimensions of these cars are actually smaller then the Malibu which should be their competion. He also stated that the new Impala offers 4 wheel disc brakes on all models. 00-05 Impalas all had disc brakes. The new Impala seems to fit nicely between the Avalon, 300, Charger & Five Hundred even though some of these vehicles offer RWD (Ford AWD) The new Impala will be the leader in the (bang for your $$ market) FWD family sedans.

When I said I was waiting for the next Impala, it was just a comment to say "well seen that" whats coming next. I'm always looking ahead. Will the next generation Impala be larger, RWD, or carry on with its current platform. More then likely this 06 style will be with us for 3-4 years (I guess)

In closing, there were a lot of very good improvements in this car. I pointed out a few things that changed that didn't have to change, thats all. I really like the larger exterior mirrors that the 00-05 models have, and the gauge cluster that offered oil pressure/ampere information (the 04 & 05 SS cars had). Just constructive criticism. I will probably buy an 07 SS and a few minor changes will probably be made to keep it fresh and the sales coming.
    I think Camcords are a main competitor even though they may be closer in size to the Malibu. People will cross shop them because of the similar price levels. 4 banger Camcords start where the base Impalas do and I think Impala offers much more value and space at that higher volume entry point. The LTZ competes with the V6 Camcords and the SS has a market almost all to it's own. The only possible contender there is a Hemi powered 300/Charger.

I'm just happy Chevy finally has a good midsize sedan again. Neither the Lumina nor the current Impala impressed me at all. This 2006 finally has me looking at a Chevy to replace my 2000 Intrigue in a couple of years.
  • Well, perhaps when the first '06 Impalas hit the dealerships, the new styling changes will grow on me more. That happens. When I first got a glimpse of the 2000 Impala on the highway five years ago I just didn't like the rear tail lights, but eventually they grew on me. Who knows...
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I was driving by a Chev dealer yesterday in between appointments and I popped in and asked for a drive of a black SS parked out front.

I was impressed. Power was more than I imagined and compared to my 04 Grand Prix GT. The interior quality, fit and finish was as good as anything I have seen and even better than my GP. The trunk has the gas shock mounted system for maximum trunk space which I think is a must and the radio has a MP3 player input jack which was a nice touch, I think the radio itself played MP3s also.

My disappointments were styling a little which I thought was not as nice as my Grand Prix. That said, it's not a bad looking car at all, nothing weird. I also thought the wood trimmed models had too much of it. I preferred the stainless steel look of the SS. Anyone know if this is available in other trims?

Overall, I think the car is a winner. I don't see how anyone can go midsize shopping and not take a look at this car. I will take a look next time though a new Grand Prix could sway me back to Pontiac.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I think I paid less for my Malibu Maxx last February ($16K for a $22K car) than most of the employee pricing.

GM is trying to slowly transition away from big discounts, but new introduction time is never a good time to dicker on cars, wait until January or February. I think cutting the discounts and list price will make things seem more competitive. People like me who expect a six grand discount on a base car will take a bit of convincing that GM is serious this time.

The same thing is going on with the Sonata, but IMHO, GM dealers are a little higher on the reputability scale than Hyundai dealers... or maybe it's more a matter of having humility ground into them over the last decade or so.
    Not sold on it. I have seen better deals on some vehicles than what they are offering now.

Whatever, it gets people in I suppose. I like the new lower MSRPs, good move for GM. Impala pricing looks great now compared to Toyota Camry.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,701
    Checked out an Impala today. Dealer had gotten two and earlier one sold. This one black with tan interior -middle model. Just dropped off the truck last evening. I predict it will be sold before they get it prepped. The dash has a foreign car flair to it. Tailights will take some getting used to. I still like the round ones with the solid cover where others have plastic all the way across. But the round lights say Chevy.

This message has been approved.

• bigjaybigjay Posts: 26
    I need some honest advice...

I am planning to buy a 2006 Impala SS but have some conflicts about it. My conflicts have a lot to do with professional image. Here's my deal...

I am a car guy. I have a couple of show cars and grew up with Street Rods. Typically, I'm the guy that likes to buy whatever High Performance Sedan is being built by an American car company. For example, I've owned a couple of SHO's and a mid '90's Impala SS sedan.

I currently own an Impala LS Sedan. It has over 140,000 trouble free miles on it. I hate to give it up, but cosmetically, it's starting to look kinda tired.

When I saw the new 2006 Impala SS I decided to wait until it came out and see how I like it. Yesterday, an 2006 Impala LTZ was delivered to a local Chevy dealer and I drove it. Nice car! GM cleaned up the sheet metal and gave it 240 ponies...but, I'm, still holding out for the SS. They say it will be out in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to driving that small block 303 hp V8!

However, here is my dilema...

I am an Insurance Agent, specializing in Commercial Insurance. All of my colleagues drive "prestige" cars. They all say I should too. They say I need an "image car" to "convey the right message." Personally, I think that's crap. I can't think of a time when my car closed a deal for me. At any rate, I want to buy the car I want, not the car my colleagues think I should have.

So, whose right? Is it OK to drive a late model premium Chevy? Financially, I feel better about putting heavy mileage on a mid priced sedan, rather than on a pricey luxo barge every 3 years or so. Besides, with 303 hp, the new Impala is hardly a slouch! Besides, the guy sat K & N and Borla are already working on some bolt on go fast goodies to squeeze a tad more juice out of the stock engine.

I plan to buy a Black on Black SS. My assumption is that it will be classy enough to do the job and more fun to get from place to place than an Avalon, a Maxima, a Passat, an A4, a 320i,a C Class Mercedes or an X Type Jag. Besides, an Impala is WAY more comfortable to drive than a Lincoln LS.

I can't even consider a 300C. I don't care how much Mercedes content the sales guys say is in that car, it's still a Chrysler product. I'm just not that brave.

What do you guys think?
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I work in sales too, so I understand your situation. When my wife was looking at cars last year, we drove a 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS. She eventually bought the LaCrosse CXL, and loves the car. The LaCrosse CXS is both sporty and upscale at the same time. It has 17 inch rims, an upgraded suspension, and the Cadillac 3.6 V6. I am not sure about the K & N filter or the Borla exhaust. This might be your car. Good luck!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    As a professional who deals with a lot of sales people, I have some advice. It's going to sound silly, but I believe this. Stick with a black car. Preferably with a black or tan interior. Do NOT buy any other color. Otherwise, buy what you like and don't worry about it. Most of your clients will ignore a black car and pay little attention to what it is...another color they will start looking at. I've seen it time and again.

And keep it spotlessly clean outside...a good waxing helps, too; and the interior free of anything not in use at the moment...no baby bottles, no unused sales cases, no candy wrappers. Seriously, that matters more. And have the car detailed about every six months or do it yourself.

You'll be fine...
    I too am in sales although I don't use my car much aside from an odd client visit and I think there is no shame at all in driving a nice Chevy sedan. I have an Olds Intrigue and many people like the fact that I drive an American car, especially in an area with many jobs depending of the big three. Further, I think the new Impala looks pretty upscale, the interior is quite similar in look / shape to the new Caddy DTS.

Personally, when I see a guy driving a 7 series Beemer and trying to sell me something I get the feeling I am paying too much to support him. As an example we ended up buying out home from a guy who drove a Jetta.

;)
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    Vanman is right.

The last two real estate agent I've dealt with, both were driving Lexus'. One was and LS430 and the other a LX470. While, I certainly enjoyed riding in these cars, I kept thinking to myself that maybe the commission rates are out of line.

Don't worry about your peers, it's the clients you should think about. I believe most will appreciate you being level headed. My financial planner drives a 15 year old Oldsmobile and this is a guy that holds a PHD in finance/economics and previously owned a Old dealership and has millions of dollars in real estate.

I feel more comfortable with him dealing with my money when I believe he is responsible with his.

Bottom line, I don't think you will offend anyone driving and Impala SS while possibly impressing a few as well.
    Hey everybody!

Thanks for all the great feedback on the new Impala SS. You have all confirmed my plan and now I feel better about proceeding with that plan.

As I mentioned in my previous post, in my business, I want to convey a sense of modern/contemporary thinking balanced against some solid, no nonsense business acumen. I would hope that after 20 years in business, a Master's Degree in Business, and a bunch of continuing education certificates, one would think these things would outweigh the car I pulled up in.

In short, I think the new SS will be perfect for me. Here in LA, everybody drives an "image car" so I don't see the value of putting one more luxo barge into traffic. Personally, I think the SS will be cool because it is different.

The best aspect of this new SS is the "punch" of that small block V8! That healthy 303hp V8 with a K&N Kit, and an exhaust system, should more than keep up with traffic.

Again, thanks to all!
    An Impala SS will probably stand out nicely since Japanese and German cars tend to rule the roads there for some reason. When I was a kid it seemed California was way cool American hot rod land, boy have things changed in 25 years.

:(
  • To chevman1, You Said You Are (38) "I Am (72) Have Been Buying GM Cars For Over (40)Year's From The Early (30) Most Of GM Cars Had The Same Look.'Some Biger Than Some Others But Other Than Tail Light And Grill You Know It Was A GM Car.'The Same With Ford And The Others.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    When I see someone driving a high priced car, I just think that they are in debt and are show-offs. As A buyers, I would also think that salespeople with such things probably have higher prices than what I can get from a salesperson not driving such a vehicle. If you want to impress your clients, buy the Impala and tell them everything the new car has, then how little you paid for it.
    Thanks again everyone!

Oh, and regarding the comment about how LA used to be the center of everything cool car wise, you're right. Things aren't what they used to be. The fact is, there was a time when a lot of cool stuff did happen here, especially right after WWII and straight through the 1960's. But let's not forget, a lot of the iron we all liked here in California came from Michigan.

"Back in the day," we did have a couple of advantages here in LA:

1. Good weather. We could build cars and street race year round while our friends in The Mid West, and on The Eastern Seaboard had to sit things out for the winter. We also didn't have the rust issue here. Our junk yards were full of more usable stuff than other parts of the country.

2. We had places to race, ie: our dry lakes. We could drive anything as fast as we wanted to and there was room to do it. And at the dry lakes, nobody got ticked or arrested for going fast!

3. We had "post war" companies like: Rockwell, North American, Douglas, Hughes Aircraft, TRW, Garrett, and many, many others al over Southern California where returning servicemen could get good jobs and spend some of their money on their crazy car hobby and still buy homes!

With all that engineering talent compacted here, some of that creative energy was bound to end up in their personal cars during their off hours. Thus, guys like: Iskindarian Cams, Edlebrock, Moon, Cragar, and many other "go fast hardware" guys had a natural market here in California.

Beyond that we had Hollywood and guys like George Barris, Dean Jefferies and "Big Daddy" Ed Roth lived out here. They all had an unfair advantage as they had studio money behind them to build wild stuff and when they completed their projects, everything they made ended up in movies and television.

Because of that, I think TV and movies gave the impression that California had some kind of leadership role in what everybody thought cool cars ought to be. But that's the magic of Hollywood...it's all an illusion.

I'll admit, at one time, we did have more than our fare share of notoriety regarding cars, but we never had a "monopoly" on cool cars. Having traveled some, I know there are some beautiful cars tucked away in the Hershey and Carlisle, Pa areas. There are some great cars in Ohio and even more hidden down South in Georgia and Arkansas. The Pacific NW has some great stuff and Arizona has it's share of great iron. That's why Barret Jackson is headquartered there!

Today, just as you say, LA doesn't have the corner on cool cars it once did. Thankfully, due to easy acess to ground transportation and shipping channels, the hobby is now wide spread and people all over the country (and the world) are able to get the parts they want. With the advent of the CNC machine, anybody can machine just about anything they want, so custom stuff is no longer a regional thing.

As a Californian, I'm glad to see so much equity in the hobby! I'm glad to see so many people in so many areas have such easy access to parts and creative technology!

However, as an American, as a Californian, and as a Muscle Car Guy from way back, I have NO use for these new "tuners." With these guys, it's no longer about homegrown innovation, trial and error and self reliance in one's own garage.

Now it's about the "bling!" It's about excess. It's about who can to spend the most money to "hire someone else" to bolt on on cosmetic do-dads and audio gadgets. In my opinion, the new generation of car guy are a bunch of wimps! They don't have a clue how to do anything themselves or how anything works! All they know is if it's shinely and looks expensive, it's automatically cool. Yet, when the hood goes up, all their eyes glaze over.

Even the new technicians aren't all that gifted! For them, everything comes out of' a box. If it isn't "bolt on - plug 'n play" they're lost! There's no trial and error left in anything. No vision, no passion.

Let's bring back "pretty cars." Let's bring back cars that are seriously fast and have real style. Let's show these young bucks that driving a performance car takes skill and not just wreckless bravado. Let's teach these "kids" that learning to use a gear box and a clutch takes finese, and "finding your line" is an art form.

These goof balls in their "drifter competitions" are a sad lot. Then again, I guess when one has no real driving skills, then spinning in circles and chasing one's tail is all that's left for them to do!