Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    The new 6 speed (manual) available on the G6 3.9L:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/Spec Sheets/Transmissions/2006 M- anuals/2006%20F40%20(MT2).pdf
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    We bought an '06 LTZ a couple of weeks ago. We haven't had it long enough to really wring it out, but so far it is an excellent car. The ride and handling are great, it has plenty of power with the 3.9 engine, and it is a very quiet car on the highway. The Bose radio is great, and the fit and finish are all first rate. The first 2 tanks of gas are showing 27.6 MPG...75% highway...and the engine/transmission are smooth as butter. The seats are quite comfortable, and the power adjustments allow good position for both of us...the wife is only 5'1". We also like the dual climate controls, since Momma is always chilly, and I'm roasting. If you are looking at the base models, I would recomment that you check out the LTZ. There are very few options on the LTZ...leather, sunroof and 6 disk CD, and by the time you add any real options to the more inexpensive models, you are very near the price of an LTZ. I think the jury is still out on these DOD V8's. That idea has been tried before, and resulted in some major repair/reliability issues. I'll pop in here from time to time, and pass on any real world experiences we have with this car.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I think the jury is still out on these DOD V8's. That idea has been tried before, and resulted in some major repair/reliability issues

You are right that it was tried before, but that was in the early 80's. I think it's safe to say that computing technology has improved significantly in the last 25 years... and the current GM DoD was developed at least 3-4 years ago and tested significantly - why it's taken so long for these engines to come to market...

--Robert
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    “I see no indication from GM that they are using any 6 speed automatics in their SUVs.” – me

I now see that the ** 2007 ** ( ! ? ! ? ) GM SUV information recently released does show that the largest (6.2L) V8 will receive a version of the 6L80 six speed automatic.

In any case, this is a RWD only trans. and will not fit the FWD Impala SS or my GP GXP.

I’d love to see a six speed automatic released for the V8 versions of these cars, but it looks unlikely in the near future.

- Ray
    Quite content with 4 forward speeds and great steaming piles of torque . . .
  • mikalmikal Posts: 3
    Ford's new fusion will have the new 6-speed developed by ford and gm.why doesn't
    chevy have access to this tranny?the 07 tahoe/yukon will be out early next year,I
    think they will have new tranny.the pics of the new interior are very nice.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Not sure that Ford's 6-speed is from the GM/Ford JV. It may be a 3rd party tranny.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Great power, decent ride, adequate sound deadening, good brake modulation, responsive tranny, nicely weighted steering.
    Dislikes:
    Tiny mirrors, low-rent gauge cluster, flat seats, obvious "torque management" on heavy-throttle 1-2 shift, tight back seat.
    Overall, a HUGE improvement over 05 Impala, but not what I would call a home-run. It will be considered when we replace the wifes' Olds Intrigue this time next year.
    BTW, the 6-speed auto in the Fusion is the same tranny that Mazda starting installing in the Mazda6 last year. It is not the new joint-venture 6-speed auto.
    I thought it was too soon for the GM / Ford trannies.

Mite want to try a 3.9L instead of the V8. That will solve the torque steer issues. You will also find new seats in later manufactured Impalas.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    I didn't mention torque steer, cause I felt it was dealt with pretty well. Nothing like the 1996 STS I drove several years ago; that sucker changed lanes all by itself! The car we drove had been on the lot less than two weeks; did they change the seat design in these cars already?
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The first 5 week run of the new Impalas had a faulty lumbar support in the drivers seat.....Impalas manufactured from August 1 onward have this problem rectified. Early purhasers were complaining of uncomfortable drivers seat (back) on long drives.
  • jcooleyjcooley Posts: 46
    The only problem/bug I have read about is the faulty driver seat on this almost complete revision of the Impala. Oh yes, someone did post about their SS stalling. If this is true that these are the only bugs so far I think GM has done a good job.

Anyone know of any other bugs/problems?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,179
    I think that the fact they're making a running fix on the seats!!!!

When Honda does something like this it's a wonderful thing in their forum. They talk about how wonderful Honda is about fixing their transmissions after they break, etc.

So when GM takes care of a seatback flaw, it's a wonderful thing.
  • I wanted to get some input on what brand of oil would be better to put in my 2006 Impala SS - Havoline or Valvoline?
    Which is better
    Whatever major brand you are comfortable with will probably work just fine, so long as you stay with the recommended weight and replacement schedule. Personally, I'm a Pennzoil fan...no engine troubles in decades....and call me old fashioned, but I am a firm believer in 3,000 mile oil/filter changes.
    I had to take our LTZ back to the dealer for a minor repair. The RF tire was losing a bit of air. It was about 5 lbs low when we first looked at the car, and the dealer aired it up. It was losing about 2lbs a day, so I took it back, and they reseated the tire. After about 2 weeks, its holding good. The tire pressure monitor in the DIC is a handy feature, and checking it regularly could save problems on the road.
    Someone mentioned the lumbar support in the seats. Ours is fine. It adjusts from flat to quite a lump in the lower back. About halfway feels real good on our backs. We took a 300 mile drive a few days ago, and the seats were very comfortable.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    My dad has been using Havoline oil for years (since the late '50s at least) with no oil-related problems on any vehicle we've owned (and he keeps most for 10+ years, his "new" truck is a '97 model with @ 130k miles).

On my 2000 Impala (3.8l engine), I've been running Mobil-1 synthetic, and changing it based on the oil change monitor. Mine tends to register time for a change around 6,000 miles, and I'm just not comfortable running regular "dino" oil for that long. Likewise, I know I could probably run the synthetic longer, but I figure since I change my oil myself, I'm spending about what I'd pay a quick-lube place to do it with regular oil, but doing it half as often as I would otherwise. Assuming the 2006 Impalas have the oil monitor, and assuming the owners manual doesn't recommend against using synthetic oil, you might consider that option if you change oil yourself.
  • I've been a life-long Japanese car owner (six Hondas, two Acuras and currently a Nissan). I recently flew to Chicago for a week and, initially, they tried to give me a Grand Am. I protested (not a Grand Am fan at all) and agreed to pay a few bucks more a day for a new Impala LS.

I'd seen and read about the '06 Impala in car magazines and thought it looked fantastic, especially compared to the '05. I still wasn't expecting to enjoy the car as much as I did. The ride is fantastic, power is more than adequate even with the base 3.5L, interior design is a huge step forward for Chevrolet. All around, I'd consider it a home run for Chevy.

The LS I drove was pretty plain, but very clean looking. I have seen an LTZ and an SS on the road and both of those are really sharp.

If I was in the market for a car in this price range, I'm thinking an LTZ or SS would be at the top of my list.
  • ronbo10ronbo10 Posts: 45
    I see on Chevy's website that you apparently can order an LS (3.5 liter) without the bench seat (i.e. floor shift and individual buckets), but I have yet to see an LS or LT configured this way...anyone know if this is possible?
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    The front 40%-20%-40% seat is also handy for people who use the car for business and need to carry things such as files placed on the seat or in a box on the floor. Yes, it may look a little nicer, but a floor shifter on an automatic isn't particularily useful.

I bought an '05 Malibu Maxx for an excellent price under the employee pricing program, but wish I had waited for the Impala LTZ with the front bench. I also did not know about the clever rear seat which folds to make a flat rear cargo area, a much better design than the competitors' seats which fold, but slope up sharpely from the back edge of the trunk forward.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    There is an excellent alternative to navigation systems. For about the same price as a factory navigation system, you can get a super lightweight laptop such as a Toshiba R200 and the map software with the GPS. If you want, you can also sign up for wireless internet service and access maps, aerial photos, E-mail, and whatever, plus you can carry and use it anywhere. We are shopping for the map software now, and plan to ditch the big stack of book maps needed for people who travel around southern CA.
  • The LT can be ordered with the console/buckets/floor shift. I ordered one for myself. The reason I ordered was that I couldn't find an LT without the front bench either. Your dealer might be able to do a search and locate what you want as the 06's are more plentiful now. I got the LT 2LT with the 3.5 liter. My car should be in any day now.
  • jcooleyjcooley Posts: 46
    Did you get a good deal when you ordered? I bet most dealer give better deals when you buy one off the lot.
  • dbuzzdbuzz Posts: 6
    Shoot I completely agree with alpha01! The look of the '06 Impala is perfect for this Halloween. Chevy has successfully disguised the Impala historic styling under the styling of the Chevy Malibu (which in my opinion is a poor excuse for a chevy car period). Alpha01 you are right, when driving an Impala it should stand out from the rest.
    I know the LT is definitely available with the floor shifter, I have seen one. Not sure about the LS though I can't imagine it can't be ordered that way also.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Actually, they copied the Accord. See them side by side:

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000123061419/

Can't decide which I like better til I drive them.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,179
    Thanks for the link to the other discussion. They're talking about the decline in Accord quality. Just what I'd been saying in the GM losing billions etc. discussion group here on Edmunds.
    Impala does look a bit like the Accord.

That said, it's just a shape thing.
  • I been reading the boards and I must say when i first saw this ugly thing called a car, i was not impressed. as i keep seeing it, the car is growing on me. Finally took the car on a test drive this past weekend and I must say there are positives and negatives. I must say i'm pretty young and i'm trying to get a car that i really want.

One of the main things I didn't like was the torque steer. I see what the salesmen where talking about that the car can get away from you. I was going around a turn at 40, hit the gas and i was in the other lane.

Emergency brake
    Any one notice how that thing is to low. I am a bit concerned that if i got in a head on accident that thing could go through my leg

Interior
    It is nice well designed, but (what i'm about to say is so picky) but they have blue lights for the radio and red and white for the speedometer? What the hell.

Now to what I like
    Hitting the gas, was fun, I like the response of that v8.

Handling
    For a full size car the steering responded well

Final Say
    I will say that the impala ss is nice, but It has been demoted on my list. I am also considering the dodge charger and nissan altima.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    This appears to be a major deficiency in the safety dept. GM needs to cut their employee benefits rather than product safety IMO.
  • wdrivrwdrivr Posts: 1
    Just picked up my new 2006 Impala LS fleet vehicle yesterday...and I'm luvin'life! After years of being stuck with Taurus's, I finally have a car that will get out of its own way, that looks good, and thats a pleasure to drive...kudos to GM. The new Impala is a great product, and I hardly suggest it deserves a look by those looking for a sedan....for me its the ultimate 'company car'...significantly better than a Taurus