Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• If you are considering both the Altima and a car in the price range of the Impala SS, you should really consider the Maxima, too. We've had a 2000 Impala LS for over 4 years now and have been quite happy with the car. We've liked it's size, styling, power, and amenities. It now has 94,000 miles and we plan on keeping it as my work car. However, we recently decided to buy a new car and the first one we looked at was an 06 Impala SS. Unfortunately, the redesign just turned us off and left us cold. So we decided to look at other brands including the Toyota Avalon Limited, Infiniti G35x & M35x, Ford 500, and eventually opted for an 05 Nissan Maxima.
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    Re...LTZ Mileage....We live in the country, and do very little city driving....mostly country 2 lanes at 60MPH, and some interstate at 75MPH. So far, our total average mileage at slightly over 1000 miles is 26.7MPG. I am leaving one of the trip monitors alone to monitor average long term mileage, and reset the other each time I gas up. As the engine breaks in, the mileage trend seems to be upward. The last fillup registered 27.4MPG. Once I get 3 or 4 thousand on the engine, I will probably switch over to synthetic oil, and that usually helps a little. I don't expect that this 3.9 engine will get the mileage some of the 3.8's do, as it generates quite a bit more power, and the final drive gearing is fairly low, compared the the drive ratios on the 3.5 engine/tran. I haven't punched this engine yet, but the few times I've "tickled" it to pass a slow vehicle on some of these country roads, it showed that it has more than enough power to keep me happy. The 50 to 80 MPH transition happens very quickly.
  • I have over 2k miles on the car. The best gas mileage I could get was 21.9 on a flat road at 53 MPH (just after the shift point). In town I am lucky to get 18/19 mpg.
    I hate the car, torque steer is horrible, gas mileage is bad and nothing but excuses from the dealer. I would gladly get rid of it.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    "if the dod will work in around town driving or is it just on the highway? if the engine is at oeprating temp and i'm at a stop light, will the dod kick in? "

DoD will only engage at higher speeds and under light load conditions. Level road, 60 MPH in cruise control would probably be ideal.

It will not engage when idling.

- Ray
    With DoD 5.3L in my GXP . .
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    My experience is with a Grand Prix GXP – but since it has the same engine and trans., perhaps this is relevant:

Now, the EPA rating for the GXP, as everyone here likely knows, is 18 \ 27.

If I fill my tank, with a warm engine (as I typically do 1 morning each week) and then immediately jump on the Interstate and head from North East of Atlanta toward Mid-Town at 6:00 AM, the DIC (proven fairly accurate) showed 28.2 AVG MPG when I pulled off I85 after approx. 18 miles. That included a couple of short WOT bursts to merge into traffic. Traffic was typical for that time of morning, and the fast lane was moving at 70 to 75 most of the way. A couple of times, I briefly touched 80. A couple of times I needed to slow to 60 or so. [[ NB: The EPA highway test STILL limits vehicles to a ** maximum ** speed of 60 MPH!! ]] By the time I pulled into the parking lot of my office, including a couple of miles of surface streets, the DIC showed exactly 27. Ambient air temp. was below 70 – so I was quite comfortable running with the sunroof open to ‘vent’ and the A/C compressor off. (A/C can cost 1.0 to 1.5 MPG under most driving conditions.)

Point here is that I believe one could achieve very close to (or even more than) the reported EPA highway mileage, IF one drove under essentially the same conditions as the EPA assumes for their testing. (IE: A/C off, do not exceed 60 MPH, travel only on relatively level limited access highways with traffic light enough that it does not significantly impact speeds.)

In the now current ‘real world’, where speed limits are 70 MPH in many areas outside metro districts, traffic often travels at 75 to 80 MPH in such areas, A/C is much more common (than it was when the EPA test parameters were defined) and on and on – I think 25 MPG would likely be an excellent number to average over a full tank – even one that includes primarily such driving.

My gas mileage ‘problem’ with the GXP is likely 3 pronged:
    [[ Emphasis = MY PROBLEM. Not really the GXP’s problem . . . ]

Prong 0.5 = I live near and commute into Atlanta. Traffic is terrible. (Not quite LA terrible, but really, really bad almost all the time.)

Prong 1 = I am soooo tempted to bury the throttle, to feel and to hear that V8 rumble and rush. I do try to restrict that activity. Sometimes, resistance is futile. I really enjoy it – and even with gasoline prices as they are (and have been recently) it is worth an occasional blast.

Prong 2 = I am afraid that my typical commute just does not allow the DoD feature to engage often enough and \ or long enough to provide much benefit for me. My commute into Mid-Town is typically early enough that I am running 65 to 75 \ 80, but there is enough traffic even before 6:30 that I am rarely running at a steady speed for long. Also, the trip begins and ends at roughly the same elevation, but there is generally up and down all the way – relatively gentle during the Interstate 85 leg, but still not ideal. My trip home in the afternoon is typically too late in the afternoon to be in light to moderate traffic. (sigh) Thus, I am almost certain that I have never been in DoD mode during my afternoon drive home . . . I am either accelerating or decelerating – and I am often in first or second gear from I85 \ I285 (spaghetti junction) to my house. That is 4 to 5 miles. Sometimes the acceleration rate is mild, as all traffic is held back – but that combination of slow \ go \ slow \ stop kills my average.

Prong 3 = When I do cruise in relatively light traffic, as I did driving to Braselton and back a few weekends ago, I do NOT stay below the maximum speed limit during the EPA highway test (um, still 60 mph!) that resulted in the 27 MPG rating. Cruising up I85 on Saturday morning and back early afternoon (over 20 miles of Interstate each way) I was running at 75 to 80. As was most other traffic. Clearly, the difference between 60 and 75 \ 80 is non-trivial. With regard to fuel mileage.

If I am ever able to drive on a relatively level freeway outside metro Atlanta traffic for an extended trip, and I decide to maintain a ‘reasonable and prudent speed’ (below 80 MPH) I expect that I can average 25 or so MPG. If I can set the Cruise Control & maintain a steady speed and the roads are relatively level. We’ll see. I don’t expect to have an opportunity until Thanksgiving weekend (planning a run to see friends in the Florida Panhandle) to run for a long distance away from the typical traffic in and around Atlanta.

My overall average (Excel – not DIC) in over 5,500 miles: 18.76
    Best full tank: 19.78

Not great, I’d agree. Yet for a vehicle with verified Quarter Mile acceleration in the high 13s (published numbers 14.2 \ 14.3) I’d suggest that these are reasonable mileage numbers – particularly for a 4 door sedan that is this much fun to drive.

Just my opinion.
    - Ray
    Overall, still quite content . .
  • that was the reason for my earlier question regarding the dod...my driving is mostly around town...stop light to light and the dod not kicking in at lower speeds or idling is a real drawback, imo. while i appreciate that the idle characteristics of the dod feature would be less than ideal (probably ALOT less than ideal) i am hoping that in time, the engineers will be able to reconfigure the software or the cam timing possibly, to allow the use of dod in urban driving conditions...i won't be holding my breath that it will happen but it definitely would help the fuel economy numbers for someone like myself who likes the punch of a v8 but would still like better f/e numbers.
  • for those who have the new 2006 impala with Bose, how is it?

as many know and understand, Bose can make a pretty nifty factory stereo and a pretty lousy one. My in-law's Avalanche sounds fantastic, but my in laway C5 2004 'vette sounds like crap. my 1996 maxima sounds awsome, the new 2005 maxima with BOSE sounds less the steller...

my point being, is this a good BOSE stereo, or a stereo with a BOSE name plate.

thanks for any info--also how does the ipod sound as far as the imput goes? is it clear? or fuzzy?
  • 2006 Impala LS owner. Base radio/cd Stereo sounds great to me. Low gain though (max volume is reached without any noticable distortion). It could be louder but I don't play my music full blast. The ipod plugs right in, no fuzzy hiss or static. I'm happy with it.

The real story with this car is the MPG. With about 800 miles on the Odometer. After a 50 mile highway trip at mostly 65 - 70 mph the DIC said avg. 35.0 mpg. I think the wind was at my back, but still that's awesome for a car this size. At 70 mph the tach is only at about 1800 rpm. The tall gearing and the aero is the key. This car is growing on me. :)
  • A friend of mine at work just bought an '06 LTZ this week. It's black with beige leather interior.

I have to admit that I thought the new Impala was a sharp looking car when I saw it in the car magazines and on here. It wasn't until I drove her's that I realized just how impressive this car is. Having never owned an American car and not being much of a fan of them, I'm blown away by the power, ride and overall comfort of it. The interior is light years ahead of anything GM has ever done.

I don't need anything nearly as large as the Impala, but if I did it'd be at the top of my list. Maybe the good looks will trickle down to the Malibu and Cobalt.
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    Some clarifications about Bose audio system:

1. Bose only makes Audio Amplifiers and speakers. They do not make auto radio head units that I am aware of. So when you see "Bose" label on the radio, it means there is a Bose Amplifier in the trunk at least. Just like the "Intel" inside logo

2. There are cheap Bose that cranks out moderate amount of power. There are also expensive Bose amp that can blow your ears off. So, not all Bose boxes are the same (as you observed). It is all function of price

3. Bose supplies their amplifiers to different car makers. So like anything else, it is the whole vehicle effect. If the car maker is good, they beat the heck of of everyone to make the good sounding system. If they are lousy, you get the lousy system with or without Bose in it. Having Bose on board is not always the sure thing.

jt
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Honestly, I can't see how the new Impala could turn you off if you like the old one so much? The new one is better in almost every way. The back window treatment even looks a bit like a Maxima. Personally, I think the Maxima is a nice car though aside from it's bulky looks and price.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    The Maxima's looks are exaggerated like the Avalon's. It just doesn't look like it belongs on the wheelbase that it's on.

Saw an LTZ putting through the old Walmart parking lot. What a waste of a good motor with a grandmother driving gently! (You know your community is up and coming when they have an old and new Walmart.)

This message has been approved.

• Just traded my '02 Impala LS and took delivery of my '06 Impala LTZ. I've only been driving the LTZ for two days now, so I only have early first impressions.

OUTSIDE
    One of the things I actually loved about my '02 was its design distinctiveness (yeah, even the Cheerio tail lights); you could tell an Impala coming and going from a distance, which is rare these days. So I think I'm just getting used not only to the significant overall design change; I miss the distinctiveness, I must say. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but what I've read here so far rings straight and true: I'm not disappointed, and I'm equally uninspired. I have a sinking but hopefully fleeting feeling that I just went from a distinctive car to a McCar.

INSIDE
    This is what really matters, and what impressed me even as I drove it off the lot: The engine and the ride are a smiling, noteworthy improvement over my '02. I notice its significantly more quiet inside, with a notably more smooth ride over most all surfaces & speeds. There's a huge improvement in what I think one calls wallow & float on the highway. The engine kicks right where I want it to be right when I want it. It's quiet, discreet and responsive, all at once. With my '02 I was riding the brakes as much as I was tapping the accelerator. Here I can bleed off speed by letting up on the pedal, not hitting the brakes.

But why am I not thrilled with the seats and the dash? Heaven help me for saying it, and again this may just be sentiment for my '02 yet, but the LTZ strikes me as taut, rigid, even barren inside. I know this has been reviewed as "smooth", or "sleek", or "efficient design", but in comparison it seems a bit "absent". Should it matter? Not so much. Everything I loaded up my LS with is there in the LTZ, just a bit flimsier. Smallest of small points: Where's the sun visor extender that so impressed me as one of those unlooked-for touches on the '02?

The Bose system, XM radio and 6-CD changer are superlative. I've already found a place to stash my iPod while I hook it up to the dash. The remote starter is just a toy now (early November in Minnesota), but I can already see where it's going to be something not to do without in a few short weeks. The flip-and-fold-flat seats have already been useful at the grocery store.

SO
    This car, two days old after 84K miles on my '02, will continue to grow on me after this early tentative response, I'm sure. I'd be interested to know what still more people who've traded last generation's Impala to this one think.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    My first impression when I sat in the black LTZ a dealer had in months ago was that it was a foreign car. I had just looked at an Avalon. It reminded me of that type of car. GM has changed to compete the way some people kept saying they need to compete with the foreign brands.

This message has been approved.

Yup, total waste of a powerful car. I'm sure she will enjoy it still though. Walmart however is a nightmare.

;)
  • I have a new SS (Super Sucker) and my milage like in the other emails is in the 19/20 mile range and is based on several tanks of gas. When I complained it did not even come close to the 28 MPG advertised I was told to read the fine print. They did a very unprofessional test of taking it to a gas station, filling to the first click off driving 40+ miles going back and waiting for the first click in the fill up. They claimed 32 MPH. Funny I took the car to the gas station and it took another 1.5 gallons. Dealer is walking away from this one. Do I sue, no do not have the money to match GM. I have tried the same driving route as they said they took and at the speeds they took and still only 22MPG. In other words I barely touched the gas pedal and kept the RPM very low. GM is riping the public off in the hopes we will go away. Premium fuel makes no difference in the test I have run but I can say my buying of premium never took place with a empty tank.

The DOD only ads 3/5% increased gas milage according to the dealer. I wanted to trade out to a LTZ and the dealer wanted $2700 more. I decided to hold on to the car for only 2 years and dump it. I do not know what else to do.

Brent2
  • Well, I suppose everything is subjective. As happy as we have been overall with our 00 LS, we really wanted to like the redesigned Impala. We realize the drivetrain and interior have only been improved upon and liked what we saw and read of it online. But after seeing it in person, both my wife and I came to the same conclusion as the author of a previous reply in this forum, to us the new Impala looks like an enlarged Malibu, a car we have previously test driven but could not get past the appearance of, particularly the front end with it's bulging bug-eyed headlights. And in agreeance with yet another recent post, I don't see the new Impala being as distinctive as the 00-05 models, especially with the tail lights that remind me of something as exciting as a Honda Accord. It furthered appeared to us that the size of the trunk opening has been reduced on the new Impala, a key factor in our choice of our 00 LS. And while we have been pleased with our 00 LS, it hasn't been without a few of it's own relatively minor problems but I continue to have some nagging doubts in the back of my mind regarding the overall quality and reliability of domestic brands. So we figured we might as well shop the competition and ultimately opted for something else that we felt was a perhaps a bit more refined, at least compared to our 00 LS, this time around. We've been GM (Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac} consumers for the last 20 years but unfortunately they currently do not offer anything that really appeals to us.

Hopefully the regulars here don't take this as a bash on the new Impala. I hope you are as happy with your new Impalas as we have been with ours over the years. I was simply offering a suggestion to someone contemplating both an Altima and and Impala SS, two rather different cars, and only responding to some subsequent questions.
  • How many miles do you have on your SS? Sometimes it takes 2000-5000 miles for the engine to truely "break-in". Someone on the HHR forum complained about their mileage (around 19 MPG, if I remember) and one day, around 5000 mi, they started getting in the high 20s.

Secondly, to get true MPG figures, you should probably go to the same pump at the same station under similar weather conditions and stop filling at the first "click" every time - don't top it off, that's unreliable. It's the only way to accurately guage MPG.

My last point, something you may not want to hear, is that your MPG may fall into the expected range for your mix of driving. If you look at the window sticker, it does say that your mileage could vary from that on the window sticker (probably a range of 24-32 MPG highway for a 28 MPG rating and 15-19 city or something like that for a 17 MPG city rating). So 22 MPG could be a normal thing. I doubt you'd be able to sue.
  • While I agree with some folks here that the new Impala doesn't exactly have the visual impact of the previous version, I think all will agree it is generally an improvement over the outgoing model. As a 2000 Impala owner, I admittedly am not excited about possibly trading mine in a couple of years down the road for a "better but blander" Impala. However, I think GM is smart to realize that focusing on quality and non-polarizing body styles is the smart way to go long-term.

My wife drives a 2003 Honda Accord sedan (which I dislike, and am doing everything in my power to assure I don't inherit it when it's time to get rid of my Impala!!), and while it is bland style-wise, they sure sell a lot of them. My guess is GM is heading in the direction of having a "halo" car or two at the extremes of any given brand, but the other cars in the mix will be fairly mainstream. You'll be able to tell a Pontiac from a Buick, but as some have said, telling the difference between an Impala and a Malibu might get difficult. BUT you'll know it's a Chevy. Pontiacs like the Solstice and the GTO are great, but they'll sell many more G6s - which while good cars, are much more mainstream in terms of styling (and like the Impala, can easily be confused with Accords or other foreign makes).

Basically I think maybe we're heading to more of a brand-based style as opposed to every model being uniquely and boldly different. Kind of like distinguishing a 1957 Bel-Air from a 210 sedan; you instantly know both are '57 Chevys, but you have to look a little more closely to distinguish one from the other.
    Where are you driving? 28 is a highway only number.

How many miles on the car. Peek mileage does not occur often for at least a couple thousand.