Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Sorry, the main reason is the incentives and fleet cars that lower the cars value at resale.
  • Where was your TV made? Your clothes and shoes? Your computer? Shop at Wal-mart? (I don't) I'll leave right after YOU leave!

Those other industries were not fast enough to change in order to compete, and the unions did them in aswell, the auto industry is a much higher profit/presence industry and thus despite managments and union mistakes is still hanging on today. The fact that this gentleman wishes to buy a domestic product (one of the last mass comsumer USA products) then we should all stand behind him and respect his choice.

Now, back to the Impala, will this car get a nav system or what? Also, I do not believe GM should go all out RWD, Camry and Accord are FWD, so is I think the Avalon. They are a sucess, just make your FWD better. Switching is so costly.

Hopefully Impala will get the fake wood treatment on its doors aswell. The interior just does not look finished, IMO. I do not mind it, however.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    With those things you don't have an option.
    With autos you do.
  • well said :shades:
  • 1: I considered an Avalon before I bought my Impala SS. However, check Kelley Blue Book and compare an 05' Avalon to an 05' Impala SS. Give both cars comparable equipment and you will see that the trade-in value for the Impala is about $600 MORE than the Avalon. And this is for the 05' (old) style!

2: The Avalon would have cost me about $4000 more too.

3: I know there are some on this forum who have had a bad experience with their new Impala. I have about 2500 miles on my SS, and (knock on wood) I have had no real problems.

4: My Mother-in-law owns an 04' Lexus ES330. I know this is a totally subjective statement, but I MUCH prefer driving my SS. The Lexus feels very sluggish, it's not more comfortable, and it doesn't really have many more features.

Buying a car is a mostly subjective endeavor. Go test drive the cars that interest you, and buy the one that suites your needs, and that you enjoy. ;)
  • very true

When people factor in depreciation they rarely factor in the discount they get with the higher-depreciating vehicle.

Once you factor in the discount, you see that the actual net depreciation is the same or even less than the toyota or honda.

The best thing is, with US cars, you save money up front (the discount) with Japanese cars, you have to wait untill you trade in to get the savings. Due to the time value of money factor, the money you save now (with US cars) is worth more than the money you save with Japanese cars 3 years later.

Obviously this does not factor in things like mantenance cost of fuel economy, this is assuming the cars are roughly even on these factors. If you check the reliability reports they are like within 5 problems per 100 cars within each other, so statistically its a good bet.

The Fuel economy really depends on the car/Trim. The differences in fuel economy are also very small today. in the Malibu, for example, people often get better than sticker numbers, and the Impala actually has a cheaper version that is great on fuel economy.

IMO if detriot (read us as in USA) continues to improve fuel economy, the descision will really be a no brainer.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I agree, like him I only buy American company cars, and I try to buy american products whenever possible.

I have not been a fan of wood toned interiors but that is changing and I may try one next time. When talking about wood, try using the word imitation instead of fake, it sounds so much better.
  • Actually, regardless of the price of the car, the 05' Impala SS has a $500 MORE trade-in value than the 05' Avalon Touring.

When you consider that the Impala ALSO costs about $4000 less than the Avalon it's an even better deal.

The $4000 difference is the real difference in what I would have paid for the two back in November, not a difference in stickers.

John
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    You're dead on in regards to the depreciation issue. But I think what happens is people say "I can afford $25K for a new car" and if you put a domestic and an import side-by-side at the same list price, the import looks like the better deal.

Assuming the import sells at close to list, and the domestic is covered up with rebates and discounts, you might be able to spend $5k less (or more) on the domestic. But most people aren't going to actually have that $5k in hand, and they likewise aren't apt to save the extra money each month. So buying an import is almost like a forced savings plan for some folks; sort of like having too much money held out of your taxes each year so you'll get a big rebate later (even though any accountant will tell you the smartest thing to do is to end up paying just a little in taxes at the end of the year, versus getting a big refund).

Most people aren't going to spend less than they can "afford" to, and they're afraid of getting upside-down on a car note, which with increased depreciation is perhaps more likely on a domestic car than an import. If folks were smart they'd buy the $25k domestic for $20k and save their money (or pay the @#$* thing off early), and be that much better off financially.

My theory on car buying - no one NEEDS a car any nicer than a Buick LeSabre. People may WANT one for one reason or another, but no one really NEEDS anything more expensive for most circumstances. My self-imposed rule of thumb is that I won't spend any more on a car than a nicely equipped LeSabre (which now that it's been discontinued, I figure a loaded LaCrosse or a base model Lucerne falls about at that point). I could afford much more, but as much as I like cars, I can't justify spending excessive amounts of money on them. Now in 10 years when my kids are out of the house and my house is paid off, my opinion might change. :)
  • drat19drat19 Posts: 28
    I've posted elsewhere in this forum regarding my earlier experiences with my '06 Impala LTZ; now that I've had the car 6 months and just completed a 1200 mile road trip, I thought I'd share an updated report.

(1) Took delivery on 9/28/05, so I believe my LTZ would have been part of either the first or second production run. I find my leather seats and lumbar to be firmer than any others I've owned, but not in the "intolerable" category that owners in the very first run reported.

(2) Love the sound system. It was a major factor in my purchase decision...the mixed-band presets and front AUX input are crucial to my driving/listening habits...I'm an iPod'er and an XM'er. The low-end hiss of the Bose does not bother/affect me.

(3) As a 6'3", 310-lb'er, the driver's cockpit is very comfortable for me.

(4) It's a pleasant, smooth ride both around town, and cruising the highway. The 3.9L has as much get-up-n-go as I need when I need it...two-lane highway passing is a fearless breeze. When I chose the LTZ (for the trim) over the SS, after reading the reviews I was confident I wouldn't need the extra displacement of the V8. I was right.

(5) I averaged 25.6 MPG on my almost-all-hwy road trip this week. A little disappointing, but within my "acceptable" range. I'm guessing my average cruise speed of around 77 MPH might have cost me 2-3 MPG.

(6) The cavernous trunk and fold-down rear seat are among my favorite features. I carried a 125 qt cooler of Cajun food with me across the folded-down rear seat - took up the whole rear seat compartment, but never would have fit without this feature. And the fact that it's a plastic/composite base made me feel comfortable in case the cooler leaked (it didn't).

(7) All the controls have a "quality" feel, although the small "pointers" (switch position indicators) on the climate control knobs are a little too "clever" a design and take a little getting used to to quickly locate the setting visually. As for the climate control system itself, it heats and cools very well and reliably...I've now driven it in both hot and cold climates, in comfort in both. And in a cold climate the heated seats are a "must" when the leather surfaces are cold when you first get in.

(8) Highway wind noise *is* a negative. If I weren't a loud stereo listener, this would probably bother me even more.

(9) Hate the bagel spare (although I've read elsewhere in this thread that the "equivalent" GXP doesn't even have that!). Plenty of room for a full-size spare...why not have one??

(10) There is no excuse for the lack of passenger legroom and, more importantly, foot room in the rear seat for a car of this size. Whoever designed the back of the front seats to include that additional material on the outsides, thus preventing passenger feet from fitting under there in any sort of comfort, needs to be beaten with sticks. How is it that any/every Asian-brand vehicle of comparable and even smaller size has SO much more room for passengers in the back seat?? I'd trade a few inches of that great trunk space for rear seat leg/foot room any day.

Bottom line: As long as you're not planning to transport any adult-sized passengers in the rear seat, I would recommend the Impala LTZ to anyone considering a car in this segment. It's a pleasure to drive and a good value for the money. Just go in with your eyes open to the above "nits".

-Dave R., Biloxi, MS
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,422
    I averaged 25.6 MPG on my almost-all-hwy road trip this week. A little disappointing, but within my "acceptable" range. I'm guessing my average cruise speed of around 77 MPH might have cost me 2-3 MPG.

It probably cost you more than 2 to 3 mpg. Averaging 77 means you were traveling much faster than that at times. Wind resistance increases exponentially at higher than 55 mph speeds.

In addition, you are a big guy, and you were carrying also carrying extra cargo in the rear seat; you have to consider the extra weight of the whole package. Given that, I don't think you should be at all disappointed with a full-size car bettering 25 mpg. That is great mpg!
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Just curious, are you folks quoting fuel mileage as calculated by the car's computer or are you doing your own math? I haven't been keeping close track of my car's calculations because I discovered that my '02 Monte Carlo was terribly inaccurate. On long road trips it was fairly close but with in-town driving, it was worthless. So far, I'm getting just under 17 mpg in combined driving in my SS. I'm not complaining...I've come to accept I'm not going to see the mileage on the sticker. :) But, I wanted to share and make sure we're comparing oranges to oranges.
  • gened1gened1 Posts: 256
    I have a 2006 Impala LT and want to know if it is possible to turn off the passenger side seat belt alarm? Also my car came with an antenna on the back of the roof. I do not have satellite radio and was aware that there is an antenna integrated into the rar window so why do I also have this black rat tail external antenna? Do you know if it can be removed?
    Thanks for any help.
    Gene
  • 66novss66novss Posts: 12
    The passenger seat belt alarm should only come on if there is someone setting in the seat(without the seat belt on). If its coming on otherwise, then there's something wrong with the seat sensor. As far as I know there is no way to disable it. That rear roof antenna is for the onstar. Sure you could remove it,but there would be holes under it that would have to be filled & repainted.
  • I've actually been calculating mine with good old math, and also with the information display on the dash. My car has been consistently giving me an avg. MPG about 1 MPG less than it really is......

I haven't had a chance to check the highway mileage. My around town has been between 14 and 15 according to my math.

John
    Thanks, Jasper, good to know. I am going to start tracking the car's numbers along with mine to develop a pattern. I do think the newer computer in the car is much more accurate than the one in my '02.
    The "tail" portion of the antenna can be unscrewed from the base...at least I've seen a few with no "tail" with a threaded hole in the base. Some dealerships remove them from the cars on the lot to prevent theft, I assume.
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    gened1,

The rat tail antenna (on car roof) you're mentioning could be either antenna for OnStar (more likely, for GPS and built-in phone) or XM (less likely, since it normally has smooth dome-like shape on GM cars or shark fin on some import models). The AM/FM antenna looks just like your rear defroster wire(upper copper pattern on rear glass). So, if this is OnStar antenna, you will lose that service. Also if you remove it, you need to seal the hole. Otherwise, you may have water leak.

jt
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I have two GM vehicles with Bose systems, a 2000 Bonneville and a 2004 Avalanche. Both audio systems exhibit the hiss noise at low volume. This condition is not unique to the Impala.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    The cheaper version of the Impala (the 3.5 engine) does not impress me as far as fuel economy. I live in a small city and on trips around town (usually at 30-40 mph -we don't have bumper to bumper traffic) I'm averaging around 16 or 17. I get 15-16 with my Cadillac Deville. On the road it should get around 30 (so does the Cadillac). If I was totally interested in town gas mileage I would have gotten a 4 cyl. Malibu. I'm disappointed in the Impala. I probably should have saved the $22,000 , eliminated one car and used the Cadillac as a town car as well as one for trips.
    I can guarantee you that there is a VAST difference in routine maintenance costs between an Avalon and an Impala (or any American car for that matter from a Cobalt to a Lincoln). If you want "sticker shock" drop by your friendly Toyota or Honda or Lexus place and look at the prices for the 7500 mile, 15,000 mile and so on "check ups". Of course you can pretend that you have a Chevy and just change the oil every 3,000 miles but when the car breaks down during the warranty period it will be interesting to see if the "checkups" are merely suggested or required. CU never comments on the maintenance costs of their beloved Japanese cars. Of course on most of these cars you also need to change the timing belt. On some of them the engine is ruined if the belt breaks.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I've run into both import and domestic dealers who try to "pack" routine service bills with services not required by the owner's manual. I do agree that this habit is more prevalent with import dealers.

The real "bargain" at all dealers are the $29.95 (or so) oil changes which throw in a multipoint inspect (19 point upt to 30 point, depends on dealer and make! but basically a fanbelt and underbody look-see). So far as I can tell, the "free" multipoint inspections are pretty much what they want to charge $150 to do at "intermediate" oil changes.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,371
    I usually get slammed when I point out my coworkers' experiences through the years with dealers import Vs domestic packing their costs. Add to that the premium paid for being allowed to buy a Honda or Toyoto plus the Toyota premium for the district franchise holder and you eat up those high tradein value people usually want to point to as the reason to buy foreign instead of domestic.

IT does cost more at those dealers.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
  • bretonybretony Posts: 1
    My 4 month old impala ss is in the shop. Apparently the Power Steering Return Line "Burst". Anyone else had such problems....the guy at the shop told me he already had a few...interestingly, I am told that it will take 7 to 10 days to get the part...I am in Canada....part has to come from the US...any comments out there?
    This is what the service writer at the Honda dealership said. We have a 2005 Odyssey. He used to work at a GM dealership and said to me privately that the "recommended" check-ups at 7500, 15,000 etc. are all routinely taken care of during normal oil changes.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    You've avoided the question by talking about other things.

"Do you have data about the subscribers' cars?"

A "yes" or "no" will be nice....

My intention wasn't to answer your specific question.

But my answer is no, I don't have such data. I think YOU should be the one to furnish the data to back your supposition.
    The fact that this gentleman wishes to buy a domestic product (one of the last mass consumer USA products) then we should all stand behind him and respect his choice.

Good enough and I do respect his choice. I was taken back by the gentleman's comments about those who don't share his opinion on car buying should "LEAVE" the country.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the majority of a dealership's profits come from the service department?

I would say these maintenance packages came about because Hondas and Toyotas broke down less than the domestics and these dealerships needed the revenue.

Now the playing field is more level in terms of reliability, but this doesn't mean these practices will go away. It just means the other dealerships will do the same thing.

With any car I own, I just follow the manufacture's maintenance schedule and not what the dealership recommends (you think Honda is bad you should see what their dealerships want to add onto it). It's funny how when the manufacture's is footing the bill for maintenance (like Audi for the first four years) the intervals are fewer and farther apart.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,371
    >But my answer is no, I don't have such data

So that's a "No." You don't have anything to support their data. Please provide some real support rather than they must have something. No support is no support. If you can't support what CR does, just say so instead of trying to put it off onto someone to prove they don't. :) Have a nice day.