Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• zjimzjim Posts: 51
    I picked up my '06 3LT yesterday. I obviously liked the car, or I wouldn't have purchased it, . . . but after driving a '99 Z28 for the last almost seven years as my everyday transportation, the Impala's performance is not impressive. That said, I do enjoy driving the car for what it is.

It's nice to hear that Chevrolet has worked on correcting the cause of this criticism of the car's performance. Braking is, and should be, one of the most important "performance" characteristics. The question I have to ask is, why wasn't this "enhancement" incorporated in the original design? GM has to make sure that critical performance characteristic are optimized before production starts.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The brakes on the 2006 Impala have had the brake module recalibrated because when the Police Impala was tested in September it failed the braking test of not stopping 60-0 in less then 150 feet. Chevrolet was allowed under the Police testing rules to make this adjustment for the police impala to be retested. When it was retested it made the regulation under 150 feet but still came last among the Ford CV and Dodge Charger police vehicles
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    150ft??? That's way too long to stop! The magazine is being generous stating that 130ft is OK, yet the Impala can't make it?

I'd be curious to see the fading resistance... :confuse:
    The police Impalas are much heavier cars then civilian cars, and they use the same brakes. I do believe that Chevy should have upgraded the brakes stopping ability on the 2006 Impalas because the civilian cars are over 120 pounds heavier then the previous Impalas and use basically the same braking size/system as before. We all know better brakes could be the difference between stopping safely or an accident. Watch for braking improvements on the Impala for 2007.
  • I've had my '06 Impala 2LT for 2 months now (just over 2000 miles) and I am very impressed. The car is so quiet! No squeaks, rattles, etc. There have been no problems with anything. GM has done a great job on this car. The fit and finish is very good and my few complaints are minor. I ordered the ABS with traction control and it has done very well in the snow we have had here in CT so far this winter (I have the base 3.5 V6 which is very adequate). The brakes feel good but I haven't had to make a panic stop yet. I got black with the grey interior (front buckets) and the car looks very sharp. I have had more people come up to me and comment favorably on the car than than any other car I have ever owned (except my '64 GTO...back in the day!). Mike
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Mike,
    What kind of mpg are you getting?
  • I'm getting 23-24 MPG in mostly city driving. I am also using the remote start a lot on these cold mornings and evenings. Don't know how I lived without it before!
  • the remote starter is one of my favorite features. some find it pointless, but i thinks its an easy yet great idea!---i know its been around aftermarket for a long time
  • We have just bought a 2001 impala from a car dealership, with only 35 ooo km on it. We had gotten a very good deal and the car itself is in very good shape, it had been leased before and then bought at an auction by the dealership. I am just wondering what are the most frequent problems that I might experience with Impalas? I know that they are more reisistant than other cars but I am just wondering if it is worth buying a 4000$ warranty for 3 years or so to cover for my car. Is it worth it ?
    $4000 for a 3 year warranty sounds about $2000 - $2500 too much. I am not a big fan of extended warranties but to each his own, shop around there are definetly cheaper cost extended warranties out there. I have a 2001 LS. One maintenace item that often gets overlooked on these cars is the air filter replacement. Its not easy to do and often mechanics skip this, get that checked. Also the air cabin filter thats located below the exterior windshield on the passenger side. Its usually done after 3 or 4 years. If you have no previous service records with this car, I would get the serpentine belt replaced its 5 years old and cracks over time and miles. The rad is due for a flush, and possibly the transmission fluid. Have the brakes checked. The battery is getting close if it has not already been replaced. You might spend $500 or so, on some of these maintenace procedures but will give you peace of mind in the long run.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Don't buy the warranty. Extended warranties are not really warranties and are underwritten by insurance companies. You know they never loose so you can guess the odds are low you will need them. $4000 is way way high also, skip it and put the $4k in a good oil stock.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I guess you've paid about $10 grand on it, give or take. If you're unsure about its reliability, you're probably better off by shopping for a car you think is more reliable or newer for $14 grand.

Mind you, I bought a close to bumper-to-bumper 2-year warranty "extension" with a deductible of $100 from GM on my then new '02 Bonneville for about $500. Regardless of whether you're purchasing that "warranty" or not, you're being ripped off at $4 grand for 3 years.

HTH
  • Has anyone tried out both of them on the '06 Impala? Which one is more comfortable? It looks like the bench seat has one of those armrests like the '94 LeSabre. After a while it won't stay up and flops down on the seat. How about storage in both?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,705
    I didn't have trouble with 93 LeSabre armrest staying up nor the one in the 98 LeSabre. Odd that you got one that wouldn't cooperate. I did break the cupholder off the 93 IIRC.

This message has been approved.

• deminindeminin Posts: 214
    A 90 day trial of XM radio was bundled with our '06 Impala. According to the dealer, and the documentation included with the car, if we wanted to continue the service, we needed to contact XM to keep the account active. BULL PUCKEY! Today, we got a bill from XM for $600. They "assumed" we would want to continue their service for 5 years, and wanted to be paid up front. I listened to XM for a couple of hours, and in my opinion, its not worth more than a couple of bucks per month. Needless to say, I called XM, and told them how high they could shove their service. Then, I called Chevy, and filed a complaint with them against their bundled XM service using deceptive business practices. If a person gets one of these bills, and just pitches it, it could do serious damage to their credit rating, under the latest rules.
  • drat19drat19 Posts: 28
    Re post 960:

Yes, it is unfortunate that they "assume" you want to continue your XM subscription beyond the trial period (and if you think about it, it's a great marketing tactic, because in most cases XM far exceeds terrestrial radio in programming quality/content, IMHO, and YMMV of course).

Having said that, while it is presumptuous to just bill you, as opposed to "offering" you the option to continue, it really is just a simple phone call to have XM discontinue your service/subscription. They just have to pull up your radio ID, which pulls up your account, and cancel it...no harm, no foul to your credit rating.

"Should" this be how it works (i.e., should you have to be the one who has to make the call)? I agree with you...no. And it would be nice if this reality were disclosed to you somehow. But even so, in my opinion it's a small price to pay to have the option of XM Radio even included with your new car.
  • Of course it's a ripoff. I wouldn't pay $2/month to listen to music/weather or some blowheart radio talk rap. GM should be reprimanded via the court system for its conduct.
  • blckthreeblckthree Posts: 153
    I had the same attitude toward XM-radio when I first got it. I was never going to pay for radio, it is free or I can listen to CDs. After the free 3 month trial, I was hooked. I NEVER listen to anything but XM-radio. A great value for the money and outstanding reception everywhere I have driven. That was back in 2003.

On my '06 Grand Prix, XM was activated when I picked up the vehicle. About 30 days before the end of the 3 month trial, I received a statement telling me my options as far as continuing, cancelling, etc. I never got a bill from them. It is good to get the early notification, if you let your subscription run out, they can charge an activation fee.

To each his own, but I think there is a story being blown way out of proportion here. I don't have the statement sent to me, but I seem to remember if no action was taken, the service would be discontinued at 3 months.

Mike :)
  • I got a new Impala just over 2 months ago with the XM radio. Last week I received a notice in the mail outlining my options at the end of the 3 months - not a bill. I have had XM radio for a while and intend to add the new car to my present subscription (I think they have a program to add a second radio for about $6.95/mo). I am hooked on XM and intend to keep it around in my house and car. Maybe you should re-read the notice from XM.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I'm sure XM will reverse any bill and disconnect the service if you don't want to continue. It's just not that big a deal.

Personally I am only in my car 20 minutes a day so it's not worth it for me but for people who have long commutes or live in remote areas I can totally see it being awesome.