Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,050
    One part of the article says "She added: "They are totally nonobjective and go to great extremes to paint a picture for their paid subscription readers, who primarily buy Japanese cars."

I suspect she knows the ownership of the readers from a source. Does anyone have data that their readership buyers other than foreign cars?
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    She's speaking from complete ignorance. Heck, it's beyond ignorant, it's moronic. It's hard to fathom that someone in her position would make such absurd statements. There's a reason her boss has given a humiliating public apology on her behalf.

Instead of mouthing off, Ms. Queen should be embarrassed that her team was taken to the cleaners by the team that developed the new I won almost every award under the sun civic.

I know for some of you this is music to your ears but this reflects badly on GM. Just remember before this year the Ford Focus was the highest rated small car by Consumer Reports. It was for a number of years. Currently it's number two.
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    I know for some of you this is music to your ears but this reflects badly on GM. Just remember before this year the Ford Focus was the highest rated small car by Consumer Reports. It was for a number of years. Currently it's number two.

Is this the same Focus that has had recall basically every other month for the first 3-4 years of its existence. It was so bad that Ford had to extend its warranty to calm would-be customers. This vehicle is dynamically wonderful in driving and handling. But it is a classic case of poor reliability that spoils everything else. So did CR recommend it recently?

jt
    You've avoided the question by talking about other things.

"Do you have data about the subscribers' cars?"

A "yes" or "no" will be nice....
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Automotive news March 20th indicates that Chevrolet is capping production of the 2006 Impala at 250,000 units in USA/CANADA. Thats about 60,000 less then what could have been expected. Third shift at Oshawa will be dropped. GM is wringing more profits from each unit sold, especially LT, LTZ and SS models, sacrificing sales for profits per car. The past 12 months over 50% of all Impala sales were fleet. GM wants to reduce fleet numbers substantially to increase resale values of the car. A current 36 month old base Impala has a 42% residual value. A base Toyota Camry has about 49%. Last year only 10% on Camrys were sold to fleets. Very interesting numbers.
  • Will GM actually stand behind this production cut? The ONLY way incentives are going to subside is if ALL car manufactures agree. And the only way this will happen is if they're all dying together. I don't think this is the case with the likes of Toyota being around. Resale values stink on American cars partially due to the volume in which they're produced. TOO much supply means low resale value. GM is correct here but this is NOT the reason for low resale prices. It's one of the reasons but the MAIN one is LOW WORTH due to cheapness is reflected in low resale prices. Which entails HIGHER costs for new car buyers trading in these units.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Not only is GM curbing production on the 2006 Impala they are also holding the HHR to 120,000 units this model year.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    The Cobalt had some issues with the sunroofs drainage hose not be attached and rattles in the hardware. There was also an issue with some air conditioners leaking from the fire wall onto the passenger carpeting. Other than the few 2005 Cobalts introductories with these issues, the car is very good and is among the better cars in this segment. The reliability engine wise is among the best with the Ecotek engines.
    The Focus was recalled 25 times if I am counting correctly, or was it 24? If you don't mind the recalls it is a good car.
    Sorry, the main reason is the incentives and fleet cars that lower the cars value at resale.
  • Where was your TV made? Your clothes and shoes? Your computer? Shop at Wal-mart? (I don't) I'll leave right after YOU leave!

Those other industries were not fast enough to change in order to compete, and the unions did them in aswell, the auto industry is a much higher profit/presence industry and thus despite managments and union mistakes is still hanging on today. The fact that this gentleman wishes to buy a domestic product (one of the last mass comsumer USA products) then we should all stand behind him and respect his choice.

Now, back to the Impala, will this car get a nav system or what? Also, I do not believe GM should go all out RWD, Camry and Accord are FWD, so is I think the Avalon. They are a sucess, just make your FWD better. Switching is so costly.

Hopefully Impala will get the fake wood treatment on its doors aswell. The interior just does not look finished, IMO. I do not mind it, however.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    With those things you don't have an option.
    With autos you do.
  • well said :shades:
  • 1: I considered an Avalon before I bought my Impala SS. However, check Kelley Blue Book and compare an 05' Avalon to an 05' Impala SS. Give both cars comparable equipment and you will see that the trade-in value for the Impala is about $600 MORE than the Avalon. And this is for the 05' (old) style!

2: The Avalon would have cost me about $4000 more too.

3: I know there are some on this forum who have had a bad experience with their new Impala. I have about 2500 miles on my SS, and (knock on wood) I have had no real problems.

4: My Mother-in-law owns an 04' Lexus ES330. I know this is a totally subjective statement, but I MUCH prefer driving my SS. The Lexus feels very sluggish, it's not more comfortable, and it doesn't really have many more features.

Buying a car is a mostly subjective endeavor. Go test drive the cars that interest you, and buy the one that suites your needs, and that you enjoy. ;)
  • very true

When people factor in depreciation they rarely factor in the discount they get with the higher-depreciating vehicle.

Once you factor in the discount, you see that the actual net depreciation is the same or even less than the toyota or honda.

The best thing is, with US cars, you save money up front (the discount) with Japanese cars, you have to wait untill you trade in to get the savings. Due to the time value of money factor, the money you save now (with US cars) is worth more than the money you save with Japanese cars 3 years later.

Obviously this does not factor in things like mantenance cost of fuel economy, this is assuming the cars are roughly even on these factors. If you check the reliability reports they are like within 5 problems per 100 cars within each other, so statistically its a good bet.

The Fuel economy really depends on the car/Trim. The differences in fuel economy are also very small today. in the Malibu, for example, people often get better than sticker numbers, and the Impala actually has a cheaper version that is great on fuel economy.

IMO if detriot (read us as in USA) continues to improve fuel economy, the descision will really be a no brainer.
    I agree, like him I only buy American company cars, and I try to buy american products whenever possible.

I have not been a fan of wood toned interiors but that is changing and I may try one next time. When talking about wood, try using the word imitation instead of fake, it sounds so much better.
  • Actually, regardless of the price of the car, the 05' Impala SS has a $500 MORE trade-in value than the 05' Avalon Touring.

When you consider that the Impala ALSO costs about $4000 less than the Avalon it's an even better deal.

The $4000 difference is the real difference in what I would have paid for the two back in November, not a difference in stickers.

John
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    You're dead on in regards to the depreciation issue. But I think what happens is people say "I can afford $25K for a new car" and if you put a domestic and an import side-by-side at the same list price, the import looks like the better deal.

Assuming the import sells at close to list, and the domestic is covered up with rebates and discounts, you might be able to spend $5k less (or more) on the domestic. But most people aren't going to actually have that $5k in hand, and they likewise aren't apt to save the extra money each month. So buying an import is almost like a forced savings plan for some folks; sort of like having too much money held out of your taxes each year so you'll get a big rebate later (even though any accountant will tell you the smartest thing to do is to end up paying just a little in taxes at the end of the year, versus getting a big refund).

Most people aren't going to spend less than they can "afford" to, and they're afraid of getting upside-down on a car note, which with increased depreciation is perhaps more likely on a domestic car than an import. If folks were smart they'd buy the $25k domestic for $20k and save their money (or pay the @#$* thing off early), and be that much better off financially.

My theory on car buying - no one NEEDS a car any nicer than a Buick LeSabre. People may WANT one for one reason or another, but no one really NEEDS anything more expensive for most circumstances. My self-imposed rule of thumb is that I won't spend any more on a car than a nicely equipped LeSabre (which now that it's been discontinued, I figure a loaded LaCrosse or a base model Lucerne falls about at that point). I could afford much more, but as much as I like cars, I can't justify spending excessive amounts of money on them. Now in 10 years when my kids are out of the house and my house is paid off, my opinion might change. :)
  • drat19drat19 Posts: 28
    I've posted elsewhere in this forum regarding my earlier experiences with my '06 Impala LTZ; now that I've had the car 6 months and just completed a 1200 mile road trip, I thought I'd share an updated report.

(1) Took delivery on 9/28/05, so I believe my LTZ would have been part of either the first or second production run. I find my leather seats and lumbar to be firmer than any others I've owned, but not in the "intolerable" category that owners in the very first run reported.

(2) Love the sound system. It was a major factor in my purchase decision...the mixed-band presets and front AUX input are crucial to my driving/listening habits...I'm an iPod'er and an XM'er. The low-end hiss of the Bose does not bother/affect me.

(3) As a 6'3", 310-lb'er, the driver's cockpit is very comfortable for me.

(4) It's a pleasant, smooth ride both around town, and cruising the highway. The 3.9L has as much get-up-n-go as I need when I need it...two-lane highway passing is a fearless breeze. When I chose the LTZ (for the trim) over the SS, after reading the reviews I was confident I wouldn't need the extra displacement of the V8. I was right.

(5) I averaged 25.6 MPG on my almost-all-hwy road trip this week. A little disappointing, but within my "acceptable" range. I'm guessing my average cruise speed of around 77 MPH might have cost me 2-3 MPG.

(6) The cavernous trunk and fold-down rear seat are among my favorite features. I carried a 125 qt cooler of Cajun food with me across the folded-down rear seat - took up the whole rear seat compartment, but never would have fit without this feature. And the fact that it's a plastic/composite base made me feel comfortable in case the cooler leaked (it didn't).

(7) All the controls have a "quality" feel, although the small "pointers" (switch position indicators) on the climate control knobs are a little too "clever" a design and take a little getting used to to quickly locate the setting visually. As for the climate control system itself, it heats and cools very well and reliably...I've now driven it in both hot and cold climates, in comfort in both. And in a cold climate the heated seats are a "must" when the leather surfaces are cold when you first get in.

(8) Highway wind noise *is* a negative. If I weren't a loud stereo listener, this would probably bother me even more.

(9) Hate the bagel spare (although I've read elsewhere in this thread that the "equivalent" GXP doesn't even have that!). Plenty of room for a full-size spare...why not have one??

(10) There is no excuse for the lack of passenger legroom and, more importantly, foot room in the rear seat for a car of this size. Whoever designed the back of the front seats to include that additional material on the outsides, thus preventing passenger feet from fitting under there in any sort of comfort, needs to be beaten with sticks. How is it that any/every Asian-brand vehicle of comparable and even smaller size has SO much more room for passengers in the back seat?? I'd trade a few inches of that great trunk space for rear seat leg/foot room any day.

Bottom line: As long as you're not planning to transport any adult-sized passengers in the rear seat, I would recommend the Impala LTZ to anyone considering a car in this segment. It's a pleasure to drive and a good value for the money. Just go in with your eyes open to the above "nits".

-Dave R., Biloxi, MS