Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Anyone see an 07 LTZ yet?

I am wondering if there are any changes other than the engine and the warranty? Thx
  • I have test drove two LTZ and there is no other changes.
  • Sorry for the late reply. What I'd do is keep taking it to the dealer for your problems and when it isn't fixed -after three times for the dash noises for example - then invoke the Lemon Law and get the dealer to buy it back. If I had done this with my 2000 LeSabre instead of selling it at 12,000 miles I would have saved about $10,000. My dealer (and zone office) refused to replace a faulty strut bushing after many trips over there and a lot of frustrations, letters, etc. Check out your state's lemon law. It is better than losing $10k on a quick sale since these Impalas appear to be worth about $17k when you drive them off the lot and $14k a little later.
  • rysterryster Posts: 529
    No need to apologize :)

Unfortunately the Lemon Law here only applies to safety related problems or problems that significantly impact the value of the vehicle. Squeaks and rattles do not qualify for the Lemon Law unless they are directly related to a safety defect :(

I looked into trading recently, and your comments on resale value are right on the money. I am electing to keep the car for now and just live with it.

My issue right now is finding a replacement for the atrocious Goodyear Integrity tires. I have 5,000 miles on my Impala, and although the tires are still technically "new" they are the worst I have ever experienced in wet weather. I am actually nervous to drive this car in the rain. My '99 Camaro was a treat in bad weather compared to the Impala.

I have narrowed it down to the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T, the Yokohama Avid TRZ, or the Kumho Solus. Can't decide which to get out of these three. Leaning toward the Yokohama, but just can't decide. :confuse:
  • Sorry about the Lemon Law. I guess the thing to do in the future is to buy a used Impala with less than 10,000 miles on it. You can then determine if it squeaks, rattles, etc. I don't have any problems with the '06 I bought new in March but would have saved a lot of money if I had bought a used one. I wanted the fold down rear seat and Bose stereo so I ordered one but won't do it again. The depreciation is terrible. I always get certified Devilles a year old and save a fortune. I should have waited a few months and looked around for one.
  • axle52axle52 Posts: 36
    HI

Sure I have scratches on my door windows too. Also noticed them on my 05 Impala. Power steering recall anyone? How about the wind noise at highway speeds or The tire monitor system coming on or the clunking sound when you turn the wheel at low speed or the clicking and popping sounds coming from the dash and the list or annoying problems with my 06 LTZ. I have been back to the dealer numerous times to have these problems fixed. Other than that, the car is a nice vechicle to drive with lots of pep.
  • rjp92rjp92 Posts: 4
    I have a new black 2007 Impala LTZ that I bought back in the middle of October and I'm noticing excessive paint chipping on the hood. Looking closer at the chips, the paint coat appears to be paper-thin. I'm doing normal driving on local roads and highways - no dirt or gravel roads. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the '06 or '07 models?
  • Yes, we have a 2006 SS in Sport Red and are also getting the chips in the paint.I was amazed how well they were able to cover the entire car with 1-onethousandth of an inch of paint.We really like the car but are a little dissappointed with the paint.
    Carl
  • I have a 2006 SS impala the paint was very thin in spots i could see primer so i took it back to the dealer they repainted the hood quarter panels and trunk
  • I recently purchased a 2006 Impala LT. I previously had a 2001 Impala and was happy with the sound system. The sound in the 2006 is horrible. I'd like to get a new audio system, but I'm very confused. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I'm looking for something as good as or better than the standard sound system used in the 2001 Impala. Basically, anything better than what I'm currently stuck with. I'm not asking for much :)
    Is it possible to take it back to the dealership and have them install the Bose (premium) sound system? Is the average car audio store capable of installing a new system if I have the radio controls in the steering wheel? What is it that I actually need? A new receiver? Amp? Just new speakers?
    I also have a Delphi Roady (xm radio) that I'd like installed. Where can it even be mounted in the 2006 without drilling holes, or having wires all around? Is it just easier to get a new XM ready receiver?
    Thanks in advance for any replies. Sorry for such stupid questions, but I'm new to this all.
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    It may be possible to have the Bose system installed but I would guess it will be a rather expensive upgrade. Before you spend that kind of money, make sure you really like it. I have on '06 SS with the Bose system and 6 CD changer. It's not all that "premium" in its sound quality. Search through this forum and you will find a couple others who have complained about it's overall quality (there were also issues with the amp used but it has been fixed (MOSTLY)). I owned an '02 Monte Carlo with premium (non-Bose) sound and thought it was much better than what I have now. That said, I do love the ability to play MP3s.

After checking with Chevy, I would suggest giving Circuit City a look. They do very well with installing aftermarket head units and guarantee their work. That's important when trying to change a GM stereo since they are so integrated into the car's computers. Also, you need to remember that your current stereo plays all chimes (door, seatbelt, etc) as well as turn/hazard signal ticks. You will likely have to buy a separate unit to replace those sounds with an aftermarket stereo. That's probably my least favorite thing about GM. :(

Good luck and tell us what you find out! :)
  • axle52axle52 Posts: 36
    Oh yes I forgot to mention the paint chips also. I do alot of highway driving and there are numerous paint chips on the hood. Whats a 2006 LTZ owner to do? Also what is tis? I still have the pop and clicking sounds coming from the dash and have mentioned this to the dealer but they have not heard other owners complaining of this problem. What is the solution for this and does anyone here have the answer?
    Chevrolet has issued a Technical Service Bulletin to fix the popping and clicking sounds coming from the dash. Next time you are at the dealer with the problem, mention the following TSB:

06-08-49-011 MAR 06 Interior - Dash Area Clicking/Ticking Noise At Warm Up

The dash in my '06 makes the noises, but I have learned to live with it for now. Mine does it in the summer months when it is very hot out, and also does it in the cooler months when I have the heat turned on and the dash starts to warm up.

Those who have had the Technical Service Bulletin performed claim it helps.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    My mothers car doesn't have sounds coming from the dash but she does have a clacking noise coming from the engine at idle after the engine gets warm.
    Of course when i brought it to the dealer they insisted they couldnt hear anything.
  • It sounds like you have dealt with the local dealer. Have you contacted Chevrolet's customer service? They may not be able to help, but if the dealer is not able to correct the problem they are a resource. They can serve as a liaison between you and the service department if there is something that there is a "fix" for, but it is not getting done.

In my case, they were not able to really help because the fix wasn't there. However, they actually recommended that I call the Better Business Bureau to continue the process if I was not satisfied. (Fortunately most of the problems with my car seem to have been resolved----tires are the big issue now and they fall outside of GM.)

Are you sure about the Lemon Law in your area? We do have it here, but...... I was under the impression that GM had its own standards. I can tell you that they purchased back an Olds Cutlass in the early 90's. It had a water leak in the trunk from the day I picked it up. It ended up being wrecked within about 3 months, so I thought they would go back to the accident as the reason it was still leaking. However, since it had been documented from the beginning that was not a factor.

My salesman actually helped me out on this one. He told me to call customer service. You must go through the process of a complaint to them before anything can be done in regards to the lemon law. (He also suggested the call be made with this car, just in case they were not able to get things corrected.)

Friends just had a Buick purchased back after the repairs didn't fix the problem. It is at least worth checking into. My calls to customer service didn't result in anything beyond getting to vent to someone higher than the powers that be at the dealership. (I know they listened because the next visit to the dealership it was mentioned that they appreciated the positive things that I had to say about them in my complaints. (In my case the problem was not at the dealership; they were as upset as I was and always worked my car into their day. In fact, the general manager was often involved.) I also got a free oil change from the process.
    zjim,
    Just wondering if you have had the strut problem return since your replacement? I suspected mine were going bad back when you originally posted this but I've just been kind of dealing with it since I wasn't 100% sure there was a problem. Well, after driving my sister's Impala LT, it was night and day and I realized I wasn't just being picky. My car is extremely "busy" at speed when traveling over anything but perfectly smooth pavement. I took mine in for service and explained the difference between our cars but since they aren't the same trim level, I was told that since mine has the larger/heavier engine that it was normal to bounce more. I suggested that if anything, the SS would be firmer than the LT and they decided to take a look. Needless to say, they found nothing wrong. I'm going to try again and use your comparison method. My only concern is that there won't likely be a new '06 SS on the lot and I'll either get a used SS with the same defective suspension or I'll be told the '07's suspension is different.

Anyway, wish me luck and give me a follow-up on your new suspension. Thanks... :)
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Answers by the chevy service department "yours has the larger/heavier engine that it was normal to bounce more"

GM has come a long way with reliability with their vehicles but still a long way to go to educate service advisors to be a little more customer oriented when dealing with issues that the customer is concerned with. I have dealt with Chevy service advisors for nearly 40 years and most are OK but their are still a lot of care less attitude employees. If the car is not handling/performing the way it was a few months before when you bought it then you have a legitimate concern.

I would take the car to another chevy dealership and compare answers between the two service advisors as to your problem. If not satisfied, ask to speak with the Service Manager. You paid for this warranty within the cost of the car you expect it perform the way it was a few months before when the car was new. Nothing less would be acceptable.
    Yeah, I agree 100%. But, I'm not totally disatisfied with the service visit. I had other problems (brake pulsation, the HVAC software issue) and those were handled pretty much to my satisfaction (the HVAC has developed another minor glitch). As for the way I was treated, it was pretty good and they did agree that if I could bring it back, they would compare it side-by-side with another car. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to return.

I will be taking the car to another dealership soon. I'll follow-up here once I have something to report. :)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    We Took Our '06 LS on a Road Trip and Got 28 mpg (calculated, not the computer) with a family of four inside, driving 80 mph. Pretty good!

It was really quiet compared to our old Dodge minivan, which was another big plus, with better acceleration too.
  • Hello to all!
    I recently became the owner of a 2006 Chevy Impala (pics coming soon!) and about had a heart attack when the local Chevy dealership quoted me the base cost for an oil change. I specified that I wanted a different brand of oil than their standard and was told that it would be more expensive (between $30 and $40 for lube oil and filter!). Now I have always done my own service work, but I thought it might be in my best interest to take it to GM because of the oil life indicator needing reset after the oil change. Is there a way that I can reset the sensor or will I be forced to pay the higher cost? Thanks for the help!
    Chris
    Chris,
    Resetting the oil life sensor, as with all the other information stored in the Driver's Instrument Cluster (DIC) is as simple as pressing and holding the "check mark" button while the information is being displayed. The only procedure that is a little complicated is resetting the tire monitoring after tire rotation. I haven't done it myself but I hear it isn't too tough if you have a helper.
    Go ahead and change your own oil. It's a breeze with my SS! :)
    You can reset the tire monitoring system two ways. One is through the RDS on the radio (following the message instructions) or the easiest is with the ignition on pulling your parking light switch on and off 3 times and you will then hear a chime. The system resets either way used.
    charts2,
    Unless I'm mistaken, all of the maintenance functions have been moved to the DIC (and simplified) in the '06+ models. The reference to the tire monitoring was about how you must reconfigure the system after rotating tires. The '06 tracks actual tire pressure of each individual tire. Once you rotate the tires, you have to "tell" the computer where each tire is located on the vehicle (left-front, right-rear, etc). I believe it's fairly simple with two people as one adjusts tire pressure outside, the other sets the location on the DIC. You can do it alone but would have to repeatedly move back and forth from the tires to the driver's seat.

Ron
    I stand to be corrected. On the 2005 and previous Impalas the tire monitoring was based on number of tire revolutions (thousands/millions) and only indicated a tire was low on air. What you are saying is the 2006 Impalas now base the tire monitoring on each individual tire based on eaches own tire pressure. Thats a move up from the previous models. thankyou for the info
  • Hey thanks alot! :) I have always done my own service work and was going to be a little upset if I had to pay that much for an oil change. The only thing they did extra is wash the car and the couple of times I have had it in the shop for warranty work, they didn't do that great of a job! I just keep learning more about this car, as well as why quite a few law enforcement departments are using them for patrol cars!
    Thanks again!
    Chris
  • hess4hess4 Posts: 7
    I have just bought an 06 impala with the 3.9 engine. The engine seems very noisy when pushed a little. I am 73 years old so I do not drive fast. When I accel. the engine sounds harsh. This was a lease vehicle and only has 7.500 miles. I traded in an 02 LS, 3800 engine, which was ok. Is this normal?? This seems like a rocket ship compared to the 02. The price seemed ok for 3lt, 15K.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Don't understand your post - we just paid $32 to change the oil on our Impala at the dealer using their Castrol GTX conventional oil. When I took the Cobalt in, we paid less, $26, because I carried in my own jug of Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. (On the other hand, if you use their oil to upgrade to synthetic you pay $72 for the oil change - is that what you are objecting to - just carry in your own oil! Or bite the bullet and pay it, it's the only service required for thousands and thousands of miles.)
    Does the noise you hear sound like abnormally loud exhaust noise or something mechanical (metal on metal) under the hood? My sister has the 3.9L in her 3LT and it makes enough (exhaust) noise to let you know the engine is working but I wouldn't consider it loud.

Probably the best thing would be to take a ride in another 3.9L and compare. If there's another one on the lot where you purchased yours, ask them for a test drive; they shouldn't have a problem with it. If yours is considerably louder, then you should take it in for service.
    Changed the oil in my '06 3.5LT last week. Used 5w30 Castrol Syntec Blend (4qts x $4 each) and a Purolator PureONE filter ($6). $22 and about 30 minutes of my time. Not a bad deal ;) I am using a 5,000 mile oil change interval on mine...usually translates to about 28% on the oil monitor.

My owners manual, however, does not indicate the DIC reset can be used to reset the oil life monitor. My manual said to put the key in, turn it to ON (but don't start the engine), and fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within a certain number of seconds. I did that and the monitor reset with no problem. It is the same reset procedure I used to use on my '99 Camaro. Some things never change, I suppose :)
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I have an 06 LTZ with the 3.9 engine. I push it a LOT and I really like the sound it makes. It is a bit harsh, but I think it's the exhaust. My car will turn over 30,000 km tomorrow and it keeps getting a nicer and nicer growl/rumble as it ages.

I definitely agree that it's like a rocket ship. It's so much fun to floor the gas and turn her loose!

BTW, my car is black with tinted windows. I just put winter tires and black winter rims on last week. It's a riot to watch people go to pass me on multi-lane roads and stomp on the brakes when they get beside me. I'm thinking of renting me and my car out to park at the side of the road where speeding is a problem :)