Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    I actually love that!!...how about changing the middle one to be clear ( back up )?
  • hvanhvan Posts: 56
    Quick, take a look at the ad banner on top of this page. That is a nice looking car. Why can't those boneheads from GM design something that looks great?!!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    OOPS, I included total Altima sales in my statement

"Since the Nissan 3.5L is sold in the U.S. alone in over 500,000 cars and SUVs annually, thats not "few and far between"."

Its over 300K, I believe.

Sorry!
  • I have driven the 3.6L in the LaCrosse and the 3.5L in the G6.

The 3.6L is quite and has a very smooth power band all the way to the top. This is a nice motor.

The 3.5L is not nearly as smooth and does not have as flat a power band.

I really wanted to see the Impala with the same engine as the LaCrosse.

Oh well, when the Impala hits the showroom, I will try the 3.9L and see if I like the whole package.
  • bh628bh628 Posts: 100
    Hi, I am a newbie, but I have heard the name "Lutz" mentioned a lot. Is he a CEO or major officer of GM? The reason I ask is that I saw the new Edmunds newsletter, where they rated the new Impala. They said that there's a new 2006 trim level, LTZ, and I wondered if he named it after himself.

Also, I looked at the discounts on the '05s and they look more generous this month. $2500 rebate, plus $1500 if you can prove ownership (I'm not sure if it's just current) and $500 for auto show promotion. I am not sure if that last one is just for cities having the auto show, though.

So you probably will be able to pick up a good deal on the '05s, hvan.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Bob Lutz is the Vice Chairman of GM, but he is in the spotlight all the time....he is the current architect of the new models, he's 72 years old some like him/some hate him.....he's not afraid to speak his mind...worked with many auto companies in the past. The LTZ model is being dubbed the LuTZ model after LUTZ....however the LTZ moniker was used on the Chevrolet Caprice Classic I believe 1993-1996. I could be wrong on a the exact years. It was the top of the line Caprice....wasn't a big hit because the Caprice was winding down at that time...and ended production at the end of the 96 model year...I find using these letter designations confusing.....previously the Impala LS was the top of the line, now its the base model....why do they need four models including the LT?..and as I said the LTZ used to represent the Caprice Classic......they have sort of gone off track to those that follow the Impala designations, but I am sure it will do ok!
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    There was also a Lumina LTZ, and I think TrailBlazer LTZ. It's the "high-end" non-sporty model (that ends up as SS.

Lots of past Chevys have been LS, LT, LTZ, and SS...

--Robert
    .......Never paid much attention to the Lumina over the years, but you are right about the Lumina LTZ.....I was mostly referring to the full size chevy letter designations.....there has never been an LT or LTZ Impala and SS has been coming and going since 61'....there is a lot of division with people regarding the Impala SS...the older school believes SS should be rear wheel drive and the younger set are happy with front wheel drive, and for the first 9 years an SS Impala was only available as a two door hardtop or convertible and could have been ordered with the smallest 6 cylinder engine or the largest V8 that Chevy offered......a lot of things have changed!
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    There is info about the new OHV engines on media.gm.com under the press release for the Impala and Monte Carlo. Look for the tab that says powertrain on your left when you get to the press release.

Since people are talking about OHV engines being winded at high RPMs I think it's worth noting that the Impala's V6 engines redline at 6400 rpm which is higher than some DOHC engines. GM's OHV V8s in the trucks redline at 6000 rpm which is higher than Ford and Toyota OHC V8s if I'm not mistaken. If there's an OHV engine out thre that doesnt have any top end power it's probably the HEMO which redlines at a meager 5400rpm. Honda/Acura are typically the ones making fours and sixes with very high redlines and tons of top end power. Most Nissan/Toyota/European products have rather tame redlines.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The redline tells nothing about usable power (HP) near that mark. Just because an engine CAN rev high, doesnt mean it necessarily should if theres more noise and vibration than thrust up there.

~alpha
    I would believe that the 2006 Police Impala will have the 3.9 engine package with the 240 hp engine. I don't know if the V8 will be an option for the police, cash strapped departments today would not be interested in replacing expensive 18" tires and paying 50 cents a gallon more for 91 octane gas.......it will be interesting to see what will be available to the police.....The Police Impala has not had great success in selling their smaller front wheel drive cars to the police, The Crown Vic still outsells the Impala about 5-1.........
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    I think you're right. It's getting the 3.9 motor. My son-in-law's a cop and said his department gets great deals on Crown Vics. They also looked at the SS Impala, but it was too expensive. Car dealers aren't willing to discount them, even for police departments. Besides, I read where its supercharger would eventually burn up due to the constant demands for performance that cops need. The car would also have to be equipped with cop shocks and a cop suspension. I'm beginning to sound like Elwood Blues.
    Most engines with high redlines have high power peaks. You can check it out for yourself. Most time the hp peak on a DOHC engine is within 500rpm of the redline, but sometimes it is even closer to that. Honda engiens are famous for having high redlines and little low end power. How many times have you read about a small engined Honda that feels dead below 3000 or 4000rpm?
  • It looks to me like some kind of a Taurus. Regardless of all the typical hype, DTS, Impala, etc are just makeovers. I doubt if the average Impala owner knows or cares whether he has a V8 or just the 3800.
  • hvanhvan Posts: 56
    Noticed there was no rear spoiler on the SS?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    FWIW - The Haynes manual for the current generation Impala (2000-2005) also covers the last generation Lumnia; in many ways the 2000 Impala was a refresh of the Lumina.
    I think its a stretch to say the Impala was merely a refresh of the lumina. I think the '06 refresh is very thorough and is more than most people expected. It is just as "all new" as a camry or accord. Toyota and Honda rarely come out with new platforms, they just substantially change sheetmetal and interiors.
  • Hi,

I really like to see a new future design of a Chevy impala.

Maybe this is something to look forward too when people keep asking for a new GM-car by the board of directors of general Motors.

Chris.
    Chris: Down the road I would think the future Impala will be a blend of the 2006 Impala and similar sized Holden cars now offered. Future styling will take a back seat to future technology....I believe all wheel drive will offered (Impala) in the next year or two, the exterior styling won't change much, lighter body/engine components & more emphasis will be placed on alternative fuel source engines such as electric/hydrogen that will probably move quickly into the auto market place in the next few years....cost will be a big concern as new technology is not cheap!.......with Ford Five Hundred & others now offering all wheel drive and Toyota Prius & Honda Accord now offering alternative fuel power, GM will have to get into the game soon!
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    The next-gen (after the 2006 reskin) Impala will ride on the new Zeta RWD/AWD platform, being engineered in Australia by Holden and debuting on the 2006 Commodore. The US debut was originally scheduled for Buick, but now it will probably be the 2007 Pontiac GTO coupe (and likely a Chevy counterpart - possibly Camaro, possibly Chevelle). The Pontiac G8 sedan will follow, along with Buick Invicta sedan and unknown (Velite?) coupe, and then finally the Impala (don't know about the Monte) by the 2009 model year.

I don't think GM would do such a significant reskin of the Impala for '06 if it were only going to be one or two years in production. I also doubt you'll see AWD on the current W-body-based car.

--Robert