Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The 2007 Impala goes into production the second week of June. There is no 5 speed in the works. The changes to the 2007 Impala are that three new exterior colors will be added and two current colors deleted. DOD will be standard on the 3.9 V6. Horsepower on that engine will drop from 242 to 233 hp. Those are about the only changes known so far for the 2007 Impala.
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    GM has been working with Ford on the 6 speed AT (they are probably selling the design to Ford). So if they decide to upgrade on the 4 speed AT, you will more likely seeing the 6 speed version instead.

I think the new Saturn mid size vehicle (coming out this summer) will have the 3.6L OHC + 6 speed AT. Hopefully, the Impala will see this combo sometime. GM should give Chevy the best technology since that division is doing all heavy duty lifting for the corporation.

jt
  • quigquig Posts: 16
    Thanks for info. can you tell me what the colors are going to be added and deleted.
    Thanks again
    Quig
    Thanks (jnt) I'm going to wait for the 2007 Impala I think. Do you think they are selling alot of Impala's this year and do you think they will have a surplus going into 07. I really like the laser blue color hope they don't delete that color in 07.

Thanks again
    Quig
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Posts: 54
    This is what I saw on the web. Don't know the validity of the data.

Deletions

- (22U) Superior Blue Metallic exterior color
    - (63U) Sport Red Metallic exterior color
    - (68U) Glacier Blue Metallic exterior color

New Features

- (27U) Precision Red exterior color
    - (37U) Imperial Blue Metallic exterior color
    - (49U) Bordeaux Red exterior color
    - (80U) Red Jewel Tintcoat exterior color
    - (LZ4) 3.5L 3500 V6 SFI gasoline engine (non-E85 compatible)

Changes

- (LZ8) 3.9L 3900 V6 engine with Active Fuel Management replaces (LZ9) 3.9L 3900 V6 engine

The new 3.5L is rated at 211HP @ 5800rpm and 214lb-ft @ 4000rpm; the 3.9L is now rated at 233HP @ 5600rpm and 240lb-ft @ 4000rpm.

Hope this is correct and helps,
    Gary
    Thanks Bubbaman999
    Quig
  • zjimzjim Posts: 51
    I've developed another new problem on my 3LT. The latest is a rattle in the front suspension that is noticeable at low speeds when going over small rough surfaces, especially while turning. I had the car in to the dealer for my first oil change (2500 miles) and asked them to check for a loose tie rod or whatever else might be causing the noise. The service writer advised that he has had other Impalas with the same problem. He said that a call to Chevrolet by him resulted in them telling him that a "repair part" would be coming in June to correct the problem. Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know if what the service advisor told me is accurate, or is it just a story to string me along until they can figure out what's causing it? It makes the car sound like a car with over 100K and worn suspension/steering components!
    These 2006 Impalas shouldn't be having these problems at this point in time. The service advisor indicates that the front end problems have also been reported on other 2006 Impalas with no immediate fix. WHAT! GM has a long way to go to clean up their reliability act. Just 2 weeks ago class action lawsuits were filed against GM for several of their models that consists of millions of GM cars dating back to 1998 with the intake manifold/coolant leak issue that also includes the 00-03 Impalas. Many have spent thousands $$ on engine break downs and seizures as a result. I am sure many of those owners will look to the competiton next time around.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Should see 6-speeds in 08. The 3.6 Aura and G6 will have them for 2007.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    Hate to say it, but what you're describing sounds very similar to the intermediate steering shaft (ISS) problem that plagued the 2000-2005 Impala (at least the first few years, anyway). This was apparently also a problem on other GM cars (Intrigue was mentioned several times in the earlier Impala forum). Symptoms were a clunking you could feel when turning (especially to the right as I recall, particularly if you were braking moderately while turing). It started as something you could feel in the brake pedal and steering wheel, which progresses to the point that passengers can feel/hear it. The fix on my 2000 Impala was for the dealer to tap into the steering shaft and add extra lubricant - I had it done once under warranty, and it basically fixed the problem. On the one hand I hope this isn't your problem, because I'd hate to think they haven't been able to solve this in the past 5-6 years...but on the other hand, if this is your problem, it's a pretty quick fix.
    Its a possibility to see the 6 speed for the Impala for 2008. If thats the case, it would only serve the 3.5 and 3.9 because the 6 speed thats developed cannot accomodate high torque that the SS 5.3 V8 produces.

If GM fast tracks the new RWD Impala for the 09 model year then it wouldn't make sense to spend the tech money for a 6 speed for 1 or two years & only on two engine versions of this car. If Chevy shows the next generation Impala at the auto shows next year then I believe the next Impala will be arriving sooner then expected. Exciting times are coming.

I doubt that its the ISS problem on Zjim car. The ISS noises usually start after several thousand miles of driving. It could be a left front tie rod. They have been a problem on many of the 00-05s. Once you are out of warranty on your car the ISS issue is now a maintenance item. I just had my 01 LS lubed for the second time for $120.
  • zjimzjim Posts: 51
    I mentioned the ISS and tie rod ends to the service writer and asked him to check it out while the car was up on the rack for the lube job. He just sort of ignored me and went into this story about some unknown repair. I have to admit that the noise is similar to that on my 2001 Regal when the ISS was bad. The only difference between the Regal and the Impala is that the Regal used to "drift" on the highway and need constant correction on the steering wheel to keep it going straight down the hignway. The Impala is rock solid on the highway, with no noticeable drift. With only 2500 miles on the car I wouldn't think the ISS would be bad, although I didn't have this problem when the car was new. The last two new cars I've purchased were Chevrolets, but I don't think I'll go for the third!
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    For those of you who regularly drive your Impala SS at higway speeds (70-80mph), how muted or how noticeable is the wind noise?

If you've had occasion to be bothered by it, was the dealer able to reduce or illiminate it by adjusting the door position or the seals?

Thanks.
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    I just finished an 1100 mile trip and most of it was at 75-80. I would say my SS is very quiet. Most of what I hear is road noise which I expect with 50 series tires. I did test drive a different SS before I bought the one I have now and it was considerably more noisy than the one I bought or the other LTs we tested. I figured it had some issues with door alignment but never found out the true cause.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    Just curious. Did you all get your first oil change after 500 miles or so or did you wait until 3,000 miles like usual?
    I always thought you should change the oil the first time at about 500 miles or so.
    I think there are various theories on the subject. I changed mine at 2000 but had intended on changing it at 1000. You did remind me of a question I wanted to ask...

Does anyone know the exact reasons for the recommended break-in period? The Impala manual says not to drive at the same speed for any length of time in the first 500 miles. I specifically asked my dealer if there were any issues with break-in since I would have to drive my new car over 500 miles to get home. He assured me break-in wouldn't be an issue and I trusted him. I later read the manual AFTER the drive and saw the break-in guidance. I haven't noticed anything so far but my car has consumed about a 1/2 qt of oil (Mobile 1) in the 2000 miles since I changed it.
  • balichbalich Posts: 62
    GM only has a $500 rebate of these vehicles .. I went
    to price them .. I can't believe they want $20k+ for this
    vehicle ... Are they worth $20K and up .. I would think
    if priced like a Accord or Camry ... surely folks would
    pick the Accord or Camry over the Impala.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    There have been a few reports of issues but nothing that is showing up consistently across the board. My LTZ has over 6500 miles with no trouble whatsoever. I really love this car.

I would definitely not choose an Accord or Camry over the Impala. I like the look better and I like the fact that I'm supporting my fellow Canadians at the Oshawa assembly plant.

I'm getting really tired of the implications that anyone who buys an Impala needs to have their head read. If you don't want to buy and Impala, then don't! Go buy an Accord or Camry and be happy with it. I'm really happy with my choice, as are many many others who have bought an Impala. Other people are really happy with their Accords and Camrys. The point is, we all make our choices for our own reasons and we can all be happy with them.
    I'm with bh0001. If you don't like the Impala, so be it. Go buy your overrated, overpriced, and soul-less Accord or Camry and spend your time in THEIR forums. I've never had problems with my American/Canadian produced vehicles and I have loved them all. I don't take issue with the herds that flock to the Japanese brands. Having those vehicles on the road only makes me appreciate my choice that much more. :)
  • Thanks for the 2007 update. With the 3.9 getting DOD (now called Active Fuel Management), doesn't that make the 2006 3.9L a bit of an oddity for getting parts down the road? (I'm guessing there have to be some differences between the LZ8 and LZ9 engines, and one year for a newly redesigned engine seems extremely short-lived.)

Although, Wikipedia has the LZ9 engine listed as used in the following:

2006 Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo
    2006 Chevrolet Malibu/Malibu Maxx SS
    2006-7 Pontiac G6 GTP (2006) / GT Performance (2007)

But again, that's mostly a one-year run.