Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,548
    I know that GM was replacing other brands on Cadillacs and Park avenues after they got into troubleshooting the type of vibration problems from stiff and light frame parts they had giving the feel then... I had noticed the STS's that were the same H body as my LeSabre came with Michelin Symmetry tires and the LeSabre Celebrity came with Symmetry tires at the time.

My service manager said the Michelins were best for rolling round and staying round. When they were rebalancing my wheels the last time and aligning and found the rear toein, they were replacing a TransAm tires under warranty for problems and the new tires were off tremendously large amounts on the Hunter Balancer; guess what brand they were?

The only way to know is have a set of wheels with good tires put on by switching temporarily at the dealer OR to buy a set of Michelins appropriate to the size and tire stiffness for your particular car. That's why I asked about if any of the cars get delivered with Michelins in your car version...
  • My LTZ has had 3 Good Years replaced. The first one was within a few weeks of my car purchase. The replacement tire was then replaced. Then, after the first tire rotation one of the others had to be replaced. I don't understand all of the "roadforce" jargon, but I was told that was the problem. There was no hesitation at my dealership to replace the tires when the roadforce was off. As I said earlier, I also had alignment issues that were finally addressed.
    > I don't understand all of the "roadforce" jargon

The tire rolls like it's a spring, but different parts of the tire can crush different amounts under the weight of the car causing the tire center to actually move up and down. This was noted in a 1977 Service Manual from GM for my 77 Cutlass and mentions a machine setup to test for the up and down movement due to different crush amounts. Tires have not kept up with the lighter weight of suspension parts of the car so a little up and down movement of the mass of the wheel can lead to sympathetic vibrations on the next roll cycle which are greater or can be felt through the stiffer chassis newer design cars have today.

http://hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/4159T.pdf
    http://hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Tires have not kept up with the lighter weight of suspension parts

Well, at least Goodyear has not kept up. Michelin and Bridgestone (from personal experience) are doing just fine. :)
  • Hi Imidazol, well, I am off to see the dealer about the tire in question. However, after reading many, many reviews about different ultra-performance all season tires, touring tires, etc etc, I think I might have narrowed the tire I may eventually replace these Goodyears with.....the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. There are only a relatively few tire manufacturers that make my tire size (235/50/18). The reviews of these Michelin tires in an online purchasing store are all excellent! Most people replaced their OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's with these Michelins. I know the sticker shock will probably kill me, but you do get what you pay for. I just want my SS to drive like it should.....smooth and easy! Thanks again for your informative input(s)! -Rob
    If the store is tirerack, I personally take their customer-based reviews with a grain of salt. It's almost like discussions on Edmunds which are pro or con certain cars and they really get skewed.

Does the tire place have road force balancing for you new babies, if that's what you end up doing?

I found two Michelins listed for a 2006 Chev SS: Pilot MXM4, one with part number 78756 and the other with number 91426; the first is rated 300 for mileage and the second is rated 500. One may be original equipment the other a service replacement.

Michelin tire finder

All the Pilot A/S have Z in their rating. What does that mean. You'd want to talk to a real Michelin dealer who knows their tires as to why their website doesn't recommend that tire for SS?
  • Hi Imidazol, thanks again for the info. I just checked the specs on the pilot A/S and they are the same (load rating, speed rating, etc) as the Goodyears. I have the MxM4's on my wife's wagon (they were OEM) and they arent Michelin's best, in my opinion. Yes, it was tire-rack that supplied the reviews and I agree with you. Well, it remains to be seen if the dealer replaces this tire with a "good" Goodyear for now. If not, its probably going to be Michelins! -Rob
  • I will also discuss the tires with a Michelin dealer.
  • After waiting 3 months, I was contacted by the Chevy dealership and my remote start was fixed!
    A new transmitter, and receiver were installed and it
    works great!
    Before, I had to stand right up next to the car to get it to start, now I can stand almost 1/2 block or more and it works!
    Just wanted you all to know
    dc
  • I have a problem with my keyless remote and startup for my recently purchased 06 Chevy Impala. I have no owners manual for my car so I cannot look up how to reprogram my remotes. I have been trying to reprogram my remotes because of this funny but very irritating thing my remote functions are doing. When I try to use any of the remote functions they will not work for me until I use my key to unlock my door and then my remote functions work. After I lock my door and leave it alone for a couple minutes, my remote doesn't work again, that is until I manually unlock the door with my key. If anyone has experienced this problem, please let me know of a quick fix to this or maybe how I am supposed to reprogram these remotes with the relearn remote function that i have found in my menu. If I can fix this at home it will save me the 100+ dollars and time it will take me to drive to my dealership.
  • Had whine Monday AM, all of a sudden. Was on way to dealer anyway, turns out PS hose has a leak. First time I heard the noise.
    I copied this from a post in one of the other threads but I have downloaded the '06 Impala Owners Manual from this site. It's very handy, especially while participating in these forums because you don't have to run out to the car to get your reference materials. :)

You can download a PDF document of any and all GM Owner's Manuals for free after registering at https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home

Good stuff and Adobe PDF allows you to search the entire manual for keywords.
    I lock my door and leave it alone for a couple minutes, my remote doesn't work again

Sounds to me like you have issues with security system and your FOBs. Unlocking with the key is disarming the security but it rearms after being left alone...at least that's my guess. I don't think there's anything detailed enough to help in the owners manual but I posted the link to download a copy in the previous post. Isn't your '06 stil under warranty?
  • Hey, thanks a lot quietpro, for that link. I am new here and maybe it shows at least a little bit. My car is under warranty for the next 3 years or 100,000 miles. I am a little hesitant to bring my car back to the dealer when I just got my car last weekend and I would like to exhaust all possibilities before I end up taking it back to the dealership to get it fixed. The dealership is about a 100 mile round trip from where I live as well.
  • rysterryster Posts: 529
    My line snapped----the dealer thinks I hit something, but I am pretty sure that is not the case. Did you notice a change in the overall control of the steering with the leak? I did not notice anything until I made a turn into a parking space. At that point I heard a noise that I knew was not good. The other thing about their theory is that there was not any fluid in the area that they are saying the impact would have caused the problem. They think that I hit and immediately lost the fluid. If there was a gradual leak would I have noticed the problem before it "drained" the lines and destroyed the motor?

I noticed it when my engine started whining, and I also had a significant groan when turning. The groan was particularly loud at low speeds (like when parking). I doubt you hit anything. You would only have noticed a gradual leak when the fluid got low enough to cause the groaning noise in the steering (such as in my situation). If you immediately lost all of the fluid the steering would have been VERY stiff.
    You might want to have the dealer check your car because 24 mpg is terrible for highway driving. I always get 28 or more on the highway at 65-70 even when the car was new. You may have something clogged up or misadjusted. I do better than that in my Deville -always get 25-30 on the road depending on a headwind. With a tailwind at 60 I've gotten 32 in the Cadillac. Out here in NM winds definately make a difference in gas mileage. The window problem sounds like a misadjusted window that isn't properly seated in the track. The dealer should take the door panel off and check the window track. I'm sure if it is like the older cars, the window can be adjusted.

Thanks for the response! I commute 30 miles one way to work every day, and my commute has some pretty good hills. That is most likely the culprit behind my lower than expected mileage. Although I find the instant mpg feature on the DIC unreliable, I monitored it the other day and noticed that as soon as I hit the hills the read-out said anywhere from 4-12mpg. Once I "leveled out" it read in the 28mpg range. So I imagine the car is fine, it is just the hilly terrain keeping my car down. Incidentally, I also noticed that starting from a stop showed 6mpg or so and didn't stabilize until 35mph or so.

I am not sure now that the window is my source of noise in the driver's door. I am getting a lot of creaking from the door panel itself. This morning I treated the panel with Armor-All, and then put silicone lubricant spray in the various seams of the door panel. That seems to have quieted the noise significantly. I still get a distinctive CLUNK from the door when hitting sharp bumps in the road, but the creaking seems to be much quieter since I treated the door panel.
    I just got a call from my dealer and the car will not be fixed for a few days. No parts are available because this is apparently very common in the colder areas. Since we were sub zero several days and had all of the snow that was building up this was the perfect condition for the problem.

It seems that after the initial thought that I hit something, someone that did know the situation stepped in to let them know that they were not right and that my description fit the problem. It is a SLOW leak. My problem developed over time and surfaced suddenly when the motor was fried from the lack of fluid.

I believe that Chevrolet has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for the cold weather/power steering issue on the Impalas. The dealer should have known this before assuming you hit something. It is good that someone familiar with the issue was able to help you out.

This problem must be getting more widespread in the colder regions of the country if parts are backordered. My Impala was fixed the same day I took it in (of course that was a couple of weeks ago).

Hopefully you will be back on the road soon!
    I noticed when the parking brake is engaged on my '06 Impala LT, I can put the car in reverse and roll/move backwards as if the brake is not engaged. However, if I put the car in a forward gear and try to go forward the brake holds the car and will not allow it to move forward.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Impala? It seems odd to me that would be the standard operation of the parking brake. Anytime I park on an incline now, it is in the back of my mind that the brake may not hold the car in the unlikely event the car were to slip out of park or something.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    I had the dealer adjust the parking brake on my mothers Impala as it did not seem to be holding the car well. I suggest you do the same.
  • I am having the same problem with my 06 3LT, will roll back like there is no brake.
    Along with keyfob issues, transmission 1-2 shift is rough, popping sound from dash, ticking coming from engine compartment, and a random chime that will go off and stay on until i activate the indicators or leave radio off for a while.
  • alan34alan34 Posts: 11
    I test drove an 2007 3.5 LT yesterday. My wife and I have a 2004 LS 3.8. I found the power good but the car seemed floatly at speeds above 60 mph. Has anyone else noticed this as my 2004 LS seemed more planted to the road. Also, is the LTZ more of the comparison to the LS of the previous model? Does the 3.9 V6 with AFM work as well as claimed? Thanks!
    >car seemed floatly at speeds above 60 mph

Check tire pressures. Often they're set at the "recommended" pressure on the door post. But for my cars I usually run 3 over if not more. That takes away float.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    There are TSBs on the popping and clicking sounds. Tell your dealer to fix them.
  • I keep 30 lbs of air in my tires when cold. I've driven my 3.5 LT on several long distance trips at 75-80 mph and never noticed any floating. The car drives and handles normally -like any other car. Perhaps the tire pressure makes a difference. If you really want the sensation of floating drive a '56 Chevy about 70-75!
  • Hi Imidazol, and everyone, just a little update on my SS. The dealer has been exceptional at trying to get to the bottom of the wheel vibrations. They have ordered one new tire to replace the one tire that is out of round. Also, they are replacing both right side tire pressure sensors, due to the light coming on in the dash even though the pressure in both tires is 32psi.! They are also replacing the antennae that is used for both the key-fobs and the tire pressure monitoring system (this has been talked about quite a bit in this forum and there is a TSB out on it). The one last issue, besides the dash popping noise (removing the dash part closest to the windshield with a plastic putty knife does the trick to get in there and apply some foam tape on those metal clips), is the AM radio reception. There is a bad ground somewhere in the car. When I hear the AM go out, meaning nothing is heard but static, I press the rear defrost button and the station comes back in almost crystal clear....for a little while, then it goes back out again! When I run the CD player, then go back to AM, nothing but static! Unbelievable! A few irritating bugs, but I am going to stick it out for the time being! Thanks for hearing me out and I hope this helps anyone with similar problems. -Rob
  • I had a reception problem with my AM radio - tok it in- the dealer found a TSB regarding a ground not working - fixed it and now everything is fine.

On another note, has anybody experienced problems with their windshield washer blowing fuses? I've taken it in twice and the dealer can't find the problem. He did say they (the dealer) had the same problem on a couple of used 2006's they bought but have yet to find the solution.
  • Just wanted to send out a heart-felt hello to Bryan, Frank, Ron and Russ. A big thank you for helping me out in my decision to buy the SS! Although there have been a few bugs (car was built in 8/2005, perhaps one of the early first ones!), I am satisfied with my purchase, thanks to those gentlemen and to all of you who have given your input! -Rob
    You're more than welcome. That's what we're all here for...help and support with our 06+ Impalas! :) You're feedback has helped us as well.
  • kw5kwkw5kw Posts: 19
    I, for one, am happy that you are enjoying your new Impala.

May you have many, many memorable miles in it.

Russ