Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Robert: Your probably right about the AWD on the W body based car.....I have read that they are throwing the Chevelle name around for the next Chevy car but to me that would be confusing. If it is going to be a 4 door they better not call it a CAMARO......back in the 60's the Malibu became the Chevelle....now having the Malibu and a Chevelle name doesn't make sense....Large 2 door sedan/coupes like the Monte Carlo, days are numbered....
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The Buick Zeta sedan will come first based on every thing I've read. Since the Impala is new for '06 I wouldnt expect a RWD impala for some time. I can't see the G8 showing up before the year 2007 and even then I dont know if they will immediately drop the Grand Prix. I'm thinking the Buick and GTo will come out in the same year, 2006.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    The Buick vehicles have been delayed, it's my understanding.

The GTO is now first up for MY 2007, with the Chevy coupe also likely MY2007. Don't know if the G8 will be 2007 or 2008 MYs. Ditto the new Buicks. Impala will probably not be until 2009.

First plant to roll over to Zeta production is likely Hamtramck (where the current Bonneville, Deville, LeSabre, and Park Avenue are made). There will be a new DTS and Buick Lucerne, but not sure if they'll continue building those while starting to convert to Zeta. Eventually the Oshawa plant (where the Monte/Impala, Grand Prix, and LaCrosse are currently built) will switch over. The good news is those are 2 of GM's highest rated plants for quality (I think only the Lansing Grand River plant, where the CTS, SRX and now STS are made rates higher...).

--Robert
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Insiders on other message boards have said that GM may delay a Buick RWD sedan because of overlap with the LaCrosse and Lucerne. Buick doesn't really need 3 sedans all between 195 and 205 inches long. Also, because of the success of the Chrysler 300, GM is reevaluating the pricing of a RWD Buick sedan.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    That may be true. I cant see why they would rush the Zeta Buick to production if a new Lucerne is coming out this fall. I dont think GM really needs three RWD large sedans. After all, they dont want to sabotage sales of the CTS.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    A friend told me the '06 Impala SS will be FWD. In previous posts (in the Impala forum) I said there shouldn't be a problem using the same engine/tranny combo that the '05 Grand Prix GXP will be using. However, I now see that the GXP will be RWD. That same engine/tranny combo in the GXP could be a problem in the Impala SS because of its FWD (although Chevy's engineers apparently seem to know what they're doing). Some people in that forum say the 5300 engine would generate too much torque for the FWD tranny in the '06 Impala SS to handle. But who knows for sure?
    The GXP is FWD, not RWD.

GM's been working for 4-5 years to get this V8 package ready for their FWD vehicles. I'd imagine they'll not overlook the tranny - despite an occasional blip, there's a reason why GM transmissions are known as the best in the business (except, of course, for the lag in the 6-speed auto development, but that's coming...)

--Robert
    GM has been working for 4-5 years to get this v8 ready for FWD vehicles!....where did you get that information?!!!. What is your source? I believe they were testing this 18 months ago or so but not 5 years ago!...Motor Trend, Edmunds, Car and Driver and most other car sources up until several months ago still believed there was no v8 coming for the Impala...I believe this V8 was rushed in the past year because of the huge success of chryslers current v8 hemi ....even Chevys Gary Cowger said recently the 5300 was just recently designed to fit front wheel drive applications and Pontiac was the first to get it......no way was a v8 even on the radar 4 or 5 years ago for FWD.....they weren't even offering the super charged v6 for the Impala at that point and we are still going through that sequence.....We have to thank chrysler for their success for blazing the trail that shows that there is a market for V8s again in family sedans, and they have set the bar to the next level for performance! Hemi! they have done their homework!......At this point in time GM is a follower not a leader! Like it or not. I am sure there will be a market for this V8 Impala SS, but not for its great performance but for its loyal followers! and I am a loyal chevy fan right back to the 60's.......
    Hey charts2. Pardon me for the intrusion on your post to hammen2, but I think you should try to be a little less caustic in your remarks to people. I saw where you jumped all over me too in the other Impala forum, when you challenged me about where I got my info on the GXP. In case you haven't seen my reply yet, I read about the GXP being FWD at this site:

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacgrandprixgxp.html

It's probably a mistake on their part. Scroll down under Photos to Specifications/General Information/Layout: It should have said FWD, not RWD.
    GM has shown concept Monte's/Grand Prix cars with V8's for a couple of years now. I distinctly remember reading an interview with Kurt Ritter, former Chevy division head (before he jumped ship to Toyota in 2003?), where he indicated V-8s were "probably" coming. This is something Lutz also pushed for, and he re-joined GM in August/September of 2001, IIRC.

An engine program like the LS4 V-8 takes at least 3-4 years of development. Go look on the GM Powertrain website, and you'll see that one of the design criteria for this engine was FWD applications.

The V-8 in the Impala/Grand Prix/Monte is not a crash-and-burn due to the success of the Chrysler 300. Bear in mind that crash-and-burn times in the auto industry are upwards of two years (which is how long it took to federalize the Holden Monaro as the GTO - the upcoming Solstice will end up being about 2 1/2 years from concept to on-sale). Also remember that federal/EPA regulations change on a regular basis. The 3800 engine won't meet some upcoming changes (not sure if 2007 or 2009), so obviously it must be either upgraded or replaced. GM obviously decided to replace it, and thus the FWD V-8.

Hope this explains things,

--Robert

(doesn't work for GM or any automaker - I'm just an IT geek with industry interest)
    I jumped all over you on the other Impala forum?! what other Impala forum are you referring to regarding the Pontiac GXP?. FWD/RWD thats fine, they made a mistake, it was corrected....furthermore I think you should let mr, hammen2 address his own answer to this post I am sure he is more then capable. Caustic! because I asked where he got this information and what was his source?
    Robert: thanks for replying back. I know a few years back Chevy was testing v8 engines for the Monte Carlo/Impala.....The Fleet/police indicated in 2001/2002 that the police Impala was underpowered for certain applications...Chevy tried certain v8s in testing including (I believe the 4.3 V8?) and they also made a 5.7 V8 black Impala SS that they had on display at the Oshawa assembly plant back in 2002 in their front office lobby, I don't know if you remember that?. It drew a lot of attention and chevy canned the idea because it was extremely hard to fit the engine and other complications including cost....I don't remember back 4 or 5 years testing the small block 5.3 V8 that you had mentioned....I know that this was originally developed for their truck lines. The first that I heard of the 5.3 V8 for the Impala was about 18 months ago.....this original small block goes back to 1955 the first v8 that chevy developed that went into the Corvette and Belair models back in 55'.
  • Relax... we're not going to start a civil war over info about a vehicle that's not yet available. Posting with a less challenging "tone" and extraneous punctuation is more likely to result in a reasoned response to questions. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

My apologies. I thought it was you that slammed me for the RWD instead of FWD reply to my post. It was actually a member named "batista" over in the Chevrolet Impala forum. I didn't appreciate the way he replied to me. Anyway, someone else was concerned that the FWD tranny in the Impala SS wouldn't last too long because of the huge torque generated by the 5300 engine. I merely pointed out that Pontiac is planning on using this same engine/tranny combo for their new GXP, and that the Chevrolet and Pontiac engineers apparently know what they're doing.
  • Saw it. Everyone's happy. Shake virtual hands, and it's all behind us :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I've seen a few '55 "Bel Air" cars with the 265 CID engine at shows. Was the 265 the standard used for other future small blocks (283, 327, and 350 CID)? I imagine they had to do a little more than just a bore and stroke job to increase CID. Plus carburetors, cams, and exhaust systems had to be improved over the years to increase performance. Those old cars are real lookers.
    Your right, in 1955 the 265 Cubic Inch V8 was rushed into production. In 1955 Chevrolet only had two models. The Corvette and full sized chevrolet..(at that time the Belair was the top of the line full size chevrolet like the Impala is today) because Ford and Chrysler at that time had V8's as well as other GM division cars, performance was heating up just like it is now....Nascar racing was becoming very important to manufacturers and factory sponsored drag racing...(Win on Sunday Sell on Monday) ...Chevrolet was now very competive in racing...Chevrolet found that after 2 years the 265 was not powerful enough and the engine was enlarged to 283 CID.. 1958 found its way into the first Impala..Chevrolet Impala won the Daytona 500 in 1959 but with their larger 348 V8 engine. From the late 1950's until 1963 chevrolet won many Nascar races and several drag racing titles with their Belairs/Impalas ....the 283 V8 was carried on into the early 60's but again was also bored out to 327 which is currently the 5300 (325.1)in a way of speaking. ...later on became the 350 (5.7) 1994- 1996 Impala SS....and Corvettes, and is now the full version 6.0 L V8 in the 400 hp C5 Corvette.....The new C6 Corvette 7.0 Litre 427 is a different engine altogether....This is the 50th anniversary of this small block 5300 V8 design. Great improvements have been made over the years, lighter stronger metals, more electrical components instead of mechanical, and huge improvements in reliability and longevity of engine components......back in the 60s your new car warranty was 12 months or 12000 miles with no extended warranty! we have come a long way!
  • For what its worth, Chevy has been experimenting with V8s in FWD platforms since the 80s. IIRC, they specifically used a SBC and a Japanese quad cam V-8 in the Beretta platform to test the suitability of FWD for a Camaro replacement that never came about. Also the LT-1 and LS-1 were tried in the Impala as far back as the mid 90s as a continuation of the Impala SS. This never came about, so I heard, because it couldn't meet crash standards.

Turboshadow
    I think I read the same thing about it failing some of their crash tests. In the same article, I think they said the LS1 had to be shoehorned into the engine bay, leaving very little room for routine maintenance work. I imagine most mechanics wouldn't enjoy working on a car like that. Lots of scrapped knuckles. However, it looks like they solved that problem by using the 5300 engine.
    Yep, GM is giving a little more thought to the packaging of their vehicles these days. The 2002 SUV Triplets (Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada, now Rainier) are known for their difficulty of repair/maintenance. If this was 1995 rather than 2005, you bet they'd have shoehorned an LT1/LS1 in the Lumina/Impala and sold 'em...

--Robert