Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    I almost had a disaster with my '98 Regal GS. Last week I heard an unusual noise coming from under the hood during idle. I opened it and saw my S/C tensioner-pulley was wobbling and making weird noises. I read my extended warranty and saw the part and labor were covered. So I took it to the dealer. I thought something was wrong when my S/C was only making ~4 lbs. of boost at WOT. The service manager told me some horror stories about pulleys breaking loose and serpentine belts flying around, damaging the engine and related parts. He suggested that people should insist that all engine and S/C pulleys (and belts) be carefully inspected during oil changes.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I am a little late to the discussion, but there was a V8 Impala SS prototype shown at the plant in Canada about 3 years ago.

I am sure somebody here can locate the pics.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    GM can beef the tranny up all they want to, but it is a stopgap, and there will be plenty of failures.

Cant' wait for the 6speed auto FWD app. and the 6 speed auto RWD app.
    I did a search using "Yahoo". It showed this very good site (along with several others):

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0303GMH_homerun/

If you type "Impala SS with LS1 engine" in the search window, you'll find some more links with pictures of the car.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I wish Chevy had stayed with the Red Bowtie instead of Gold as their moniker, and John Moss the Chevy performance Guru retired a few months ago.....
    RE: post #170.....On the other Impala forum, back in 2002 we had all these pictures and info then about this prototype Impala for those that remember. Wider tires, Redbowtie & 5.7...
    OK. So what's your point? Are we all supposed to remember that far back? BTW, I did a search in the other Impala forum, but couldn't find any links to the pictures. There were several posts back then about an SS with the LS1, but no pics.
    ...This car was shown all over the internet & in most car magazines at that time (no big deal) no need to get upset. You can check the other Impala forum; post #35 #45 #63 #188 #1861 the picture links have long been cancelled..and I believe there were a few other post #'s as well but that was then..... the same pictures that you are showing.. its good to see the car again!.....I believe if GM knew that Chrysler was going to unleash the hemi (and be as successful) back then, the LSI somehow would have made its way to production...probably today the LS2.....
    ...LS1 prototype: More pictures....Google search....2001 LS1 Impala Oshawa....Car got rave reviews by the auto workers!.......in essence the 5.3 is a variation of the 5.7..small block.
    My apology! I thought you were criticizing me for showing a link to a site other than the one you thought the pics would be found at. Anyway, a Goggle search showed that this is the correct link:

http://www.9c1.com/gallery/features/ls1_impala/

It shows pics of the prototype car at the Oshawa plant. The engine compartment sure looks cramped to me. Thanks for your suggestion!
    No problem.....You can sure see the styling cues that went into the 2004 and 2005 Impala SS from the prototype....There has been a lot of criticism about this new 2006 SS coming but when you read about the improvements the list is impressive...I guess this new 6 speed auto that GM/Ford are working on will go into the 2007
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    If it's true that GM won't be offering the 6-speed auto until 2007, with the rest of the car/drivetrain debuting in 2006, it would be yet another GM misstep of launching the engine/tranny combo a year or so later than the rest of the car (see the Olds Intrigue, which had to use the 3800 for a year and a half due to the 3.5 Shortstar not being ready, and the Caddy CTS, which had to use a carryover Opel engine for 1 year (auto) and 2 years (stick). Or the GTO, SSR, et. al.).

Why GM can't get this right, I'll never understand. Someone/some folks need to lose thir job for these kinds of mis-steps...
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Since most buyers dont base a car decision on the number of gears in a tranny they arent going to hold the car back to wait for a 6 speed auto. The current Impala needs to be replaced ASAP and it wouldnt be wise to wait another year or two just so it can be launched with a 6 speed. GM is making its own 6 speed auto unlike most of its competitors. The Japanese dont even have any plans for 6 speed in FWD cars that I know of and Ford outsources their CVT and 6 speed for now. This is probably why Gm is taking so long to get the 6 speed to market.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    ...GM can't get their act together to get a new car launched right. How hard is it to get the chassis, engine, and tranny for a vehicle all done so you can release the car as it was designed to be? Does anyone other than GM chronically do this? What would have happened to the 300C if Chrysler didn't launch it with the Hemi? Would it have been the hit that it was?

You only get one chance to make a first impression. In GM's case, it's with the auto mags and writers. Reviewers won't revisit the '07 just due to the addition of a new tranny, which should provide not only better performance, but also better EPA ratings. And those are things people WILL notice.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Question for the board. In regards to the 6-spd tranny, is this the one that a couple of years ago Ford and GM where doing a joint-venture together on. Or is this transmission indeed a GM-only component. Read about the joining-force in the Nov-Dec. time-frame of 2002. Also believe this trans was to be in luxury vehicles first, then trickle down. There was no word on 5-spd autos, though, and really can't find any recent info as well. Seems they're satisfied with the 4-spd.

Also, any word on 6-spd auto FWD-transaxle applications?
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Totally in agreement. Have stated this in the past as well. Seems that GM can give you the chassis, but the engine later. They can give you the redesigned body, but the chassis is old underneath. The engine can be new, but the tranny isn't. The Corvette is really the only vehicle that'll usually give you 100% new of 75%+ new at launch, but everything else, it's a crap-shoot.
  • According to a post by a Ford employee in another forum, Ford & GM are developing a 6sp for FWD use. Ford is currently outsourcing their 6p in the 500 until this new tranny is ready.

I would like to know what the real world value a 6sp has over a 5sp?
    There have been quite a few heated discussions about the '05 Goat vs the '05 Mustang GT in the Pontiac GTO forum. I think the big difference in price (not to mention 100 HP) makes all the performance comparisons irrelevant. I think we're comparing apples and oranges. It's a shame that Chevy isn't selling an improved Impala SS to do battle with the Mustang. Then we could do a more relevant comparison test. I think offering an LS1 engine with the Impala SS might be the solution.
    In post #184 I should have qualified my statement about "Chevy not selling an improved Impala SS to do battle with the Mustang GT" by saying both the '06 Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS will have a 5300 engine (303 HP) and heavy-duty tranny. Those cars might be able to compete with the 2005 Mustang GT depending on whether Ford keeps the same price and horsepower for the '06.
  • With GM's ever fading market here in the US you would think they could do better. GM has some better cars in other parts of the world. Just start building them here. Look at chevrolet.com.mx Much nicer cars with the exception of the Chevy by Chevrolet which is a throw back to the 1980's.