Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

08 Silverado 5.3 intermittent starting problems. Help!

fatboy2vrodfatboy2vrod Member Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Chevrolet
My 08 suddenly wouldnt crank. When I turn the switch all the way it loses all power and the clock resets to 12:00. If I continue to turn it on and off the guages bounce around, the dome light sometimes flicks on and off. There is one click when i try to start it the first time and then all is dead. Additional attempts to start end up with clicking and the guages and dome light acting crazy. If I leave it alone for awhile it will then start but all of the warning lights stay on for like 5 seconds and go off. Once it starts it will start repeatedly until I drive it somewhere and let it sit for 30 minutes or more. Replaced starter, check charging system, the battery read 12.68 volts and just over 11 volts when a load is placed on it. However, it it was the battery, why would it start 5,10 or 20 minutes later and the restart 10 times in a row. 137,000 miles. Could it be the ecm, ignition relay, ground etc. Any help would be greatly aprecciated. Thanks

Answers

• elainesplayelainesplay Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Tahoe starts fine but if I turn off the ignition and immediately try to restart it is dead. I jump the battery and it starts fine. If it sits for a while for example I go in a store for 10 or 15 minutes no problem it starts. Only trouble is turning off and immediately trying to restart. Help please. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Have you tried jiggling the gearshift when this happens?