Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius v. ??? (fill in the comparison)

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
edited March 21 in Toyota
The Prius is being compared to non-hybrid vehicles - the Elantra, Corolla and more. Here's the place to discussion the Prius V. other vehicles.

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    The Prius you get for $26k (double $12-14k) is far beyond "basic transportation" IMO. If you want basic transportation, you can go spend $10k on a Rio, Accent, Aveo etc.

Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k. You might find a basic one for $14k, but for that you won't get ABS/traction, power everything, remote locking, auto climate control, automatic transmission or many of the other nice standard features of the Prius. But if a strippo Corolla meets your needs, save the bucks and buy one.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,481
    I can accept that folks buy a Prius for "other reasons", i.e., first amendment rights, status, image, so called environmental reasons, techno geek is cool! syndrome, etc etc! I think if you do not consider that the hybrid is specifically designed for "basic" transportation, i.e. COMMUTING, then you are bypassing the real reason for its utility and design!!??? If not, then you will have to accept that some folks positively have to commute in an suv, MB, BMW. :) I think you get the drift here.

Actually, I have taken your advice! That is why I bought a TDI diesel over a 2003 Prius! Too bad the Toyota Corolla doesn't come in the USA with a diesel! Killer combo! But then I can be forced to commute in my Toyota Landcruiser! :)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    Has Toyota ever built a diesel engine? I know the Honda Accord Diesel that is now available in the EU is their first.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k

I saw one at the dealer today for $19,595.

It was the Corolla SRX without an automatic transmission.

JOHN
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    yeah for both the diesels and hybrids...

and the SUVs for whatever purpose you need or want.

:)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    >> Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k

>I saw one at the dealer today for $19,595.

>It was the Corolla SRX without an automatic transmission.

>JOHN

You can find new basic model 2004 and 2005 Corollas for around 12-13K, a few 2004 CEs are less than $12K

The Corolla SRX that you mention is incorrect. You actually meant a 2005 Corolla XRS which is the performance version with the 170 horsepower engine, the same as in the Matrix XRS and the Celica GTS. It is for driving enthusiasts and comes only in a 6-speed manual, the same as the Matrix XRS. However, in the Celica version you can get and automatic.

YMMV,

MidCow
    >Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k.
    >You might find a basic one for $14k

WRONG!
    Everyday in the Houston Chronicle:

You can find new basic model 2004 and 2005 Corollas for around 12-13K, a few 2004 CEs are less than $12K

The basic model does not have ABS, but is does include:

DRL (daytime running Lights) - Prius doesn't have this!
    32/40 mpg (manual transmission 0-60 mpg in 8.5 seconds)
    external temperature display
    tachometer -Prius doesn't have this
    power mirrors
    tilt-adjustable steering wheel
    air conditioning

Cruise control, ABS brakes, sunroof and power remote locks are options.

The Corolla makes a very nice economy car with good acceleration and good miles per gallon at a price less than half the Prius.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > You can find new basic model

You can order a basic model (which is rather well loaded) of Prius too.

So why are some people insisting that comparing the lowest cost Corolla to a every-tech-item-possible Prius is appropriate? They are opposite extremes.

JOHN
    >> Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k

>I saw one at the dealer today for $19,595.

>It was the Corolla SRX without an automatic transmission.

>JOHN

The Corolla SRX that you mention is incorrect. You actually meant a 2005 Corolla XRS which is the performance version with the 170 horsepower engine, the same as in the Matrix XRS and the Celica GTS. It is for driving enthusiasts and comes only in a 6-speed manual, the same as the Matrix XRS. However, in the Celica version you can get and automatic.

YMMV,

MidCow
    Okay lowest Corolla $11,800 (actual cost you can buy for after $1,000 rebate)

To lowest Prius $20,810

The Corolla is $9,010 less.

Anyway you slice it if you are looking for a reliable (i.e. Toyota) car and you are concerned about miles per gallon and Total Cost of Ownership, then the only obvious answer is the Corolla. $9,000 buys a whole lot of gas!

Both are economy cars: the Prius is on steriods with tech options and is classified as a midsize only barely and only because of its hatch back design.

And the Prius only comes with an automatic. If you want or need a manual transmission, you can get one in the Corolla!

YMMV,

MidCow
    "$9,000 buys a whole lot of gas!" I would agree with that!

@ 1.59 for #2 diesel and 1.95 unleaded gas:

this converts to 4,615 gals and at 38 mpg that is 175,384 miles! :)
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    Midcow... maybe that's the car you should get! You'd save a ton of money and then you can wear the following T-Shirt.

MY WIFE BOUGHT ME
    THIS BORING BUT
    ECONOMICAL CAR

Oh.. one more thing.. why would you want a TACH in a Prius with a CVT? It serves NO purpose at all. I can't remember the last time I looked at a TACH in a car with automatic.
    To keep from being bored? :)
    >Oh.. one more thing.. why would you want
    >a TACH in a Prius with a CVT? It serves
    >NO purpose at all. I can't remember the
    >last time I looked at a TACH in a car with automatic.

How much real information does the cartoon on the Prius multi-display console provide when it shows the schematic of the ICE, MG1, MG2, Battery and wheels, when it shows sources and users of power.

Are you advocating that tachometers be eliminated from all automatics. What about tiptronic shifting? Oh Yeah! I forgot, they won't let you exceed red-line; electronic protection.

Where can I get the T-Shirt ?

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- That is probably why the boss hasn't given me approval to buy a car
    Referring to a Corolla compared to the Prius
    >MY WIFE BOUGHT ME
    >THIS BORING BUT
    >ECONOMICAL CAR

What makes the Prius not-boring?

It isn't accleration
    It isn't handling
    It isn't the throaty exhaust
    It isn't the smell of leather on the seats and the sun shining through the sun roof.
    It isn't the medoicre JBL stereo

Please don't tell me it is the multi-display console screen.

So if the Corolla is boring what makes the Prius non-boring ( or you might go as far as to say exciting)????

YMMV,
    MidCow
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Must be the way it gets their heart racing and blood pressure up when writing the check for that big monthly payment. :-)
    What check? I paid cash. Can't deal with payments.
    Dunno. I usually invoke the command SCREEN OFF. Then a few minutes into my trip I switch to either SAT1, SAT2 or SAT3 and listen to comedy or dance or 80's sometimes Franks Place if I am in the mood. Yes the Prius is a nice place to spend time commuting. So much to do!! Coastal Dave is working on a hack to enable the screen to play DVDs for the passenger. Will get that when its available. Back to the drive... 10 minutes into the drive I will have the NAV screen on so that I can take an instantaneous detour if the need arises. 15 minutes into the ride my phone is ringing and the SAT XM goes silent. I press a button and voilia, its my friend asking me what's on for the weekend. I end the call, and change the SAT to comedy ( I need it by now). About 30 minutes later I am coasting on electric only (SO COOOOOL) and switching to the cartoon channel (AKA engine schematic) so that I can see how well I did on the trip. Quite a nice SMOOOOTH ride with the CVT not jolting you every moment. Yes.. the Prius is one nice ride. Try and replicate that in a Corolla. DUH????
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    Now I know where to go to buy a Corolla (if I wanted to buy one): Houston! New CEs start at $14k here in the Twin Cities.

I agree the Prius is an "economy" car if you look only at fuel economy and TCO. But in other aspects it is far above economy cars: features, interior quality, ride quality, interior room, and NVH for example.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Try replicating the $10-15,000 in the Toyota Corolla owners' hands since you paid cash. Double Duh????
This discussion has been closed.