Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    You got to really want to race to pay $35k to get into this series.

An eight-race series where 30 drivers duke it out in identically-prepped Jettas based largely on the 2009 Volkwagen Jetta TDI you'll see soon in VW showrooms, the TDI Cup was created in large part to help young drivers like Kenney achieve bigger and better things in motorsport, as well as to build awareness for VW's next-generation clean diesel efforts.

Chosen after an extensive vetting process from an initial pool of some 900 candidates (only drivers age 16 to 26 are eligible), Kenny and his 29 fellow competitors in the Jetta TDI Cup are essentially a part of one big factory race team. For an initial buy in of $35,000, each driver gets his own Jetta Cup car for the season, world class instruction and support from Volkswagen factory drivers and technicians, along with other skills coaching such as the art of wooing sponsors, media relations, and fitness training.

"They give us all the basic pieces, but it's up to us to make something of it," says Kenney, an energetic, articulate teen with bright-blue eyes, blonde-streaked hair, and a race driver's prototype build.

The SCCA Pro Racing sanctioned series is modeled after Volkswagen's successful Polo Cup in Europe. Only tire pressures allowed to be adjusted and cars are swapped randomly among drivers as the season wears on. Winners receive $1000 for each race and points are awarded, with the champion scoring a cool $100,000 along with the possibility of getting an extra $150,000 if they are signed to a racing team. All drivers will likely get an SCCA pro license after the season concludes. Smack up your car bad enough though, and you will pay for damages on a sliding scale.
    Fact is, there's very little difference between the best and worst reliable vehicles on the road. And the available statistics prove that.

That is absolutely correct. VW has made giant strides to improve areas that were problematic. Our 2005 Passat TDI was flawless for the 13 month and 8000 miles we owned it. It was also the most fun to drive of all the cars I have owned. I probably wasted diesel just driving because of the sheer enjoyment. I would think the new Jetta TDI would be even better with the DSG transmission. That may be reason to buy a boring car. You would be less apt to just go out and drive for the pleasure.

I talked to the dealer in Portland that I bought the Passat from. They are not planning to charge any premium on the TDIs. I have thought of buying one and shipping it to Hawaii for our time spent there. The real problem there are all the rutted roads we drive looking at property. Clearance is always an issue with me it seems. So much easier with an SUV.

In search of the perfect vehicle.
  • vwinvavwinva Posts: 71
    Had my TDI in the shop for repairs. Mechanic disconnected battery. Radio no longer works. All I get is "MUTE" on the LCD. No mute button on the console, no mention of "mute" in the manual. Radio is a VW unit for Monsoon sound system. Anyone else had this problem? If yes, what was solution? All the dealer can tell me is "there is a problem in the unit".
    There is probably some code that has to be put in for the radio to work. It is protection against theft. When the power is taken off the radio, it cannot be used without keying in a unique code. It should be with your paper work. The dealer should be aware of that.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We're going to take a break here to cool off. We'll be back in a bit and we'll hope (and expect) that everyone will be able to communicate more civilly and more on topic.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Okay, assuming everyone has calmed down and taken some good deep breaths, we'll try this again. Let me remind everyone that this is NOT a general diesel topic, nor is it a Jetta TDI against the world topic.

Those who want to discuss the Jetta TDI specifically are welcome to continue. Those who want to discuss other related subjects (or non-related such as the usefulness of Consumer Reports) are invited to use the search features to find a more appropriate discussion. Feel free to email me if you need help finding one.

Lots of posts have disappeared. If you find that you have posts missing, please be aware that continued off-topic and disruptive posting will put your privileges in this topic in jeopardy.

Thank you for your cooperation in continuing with a civil and on-topic conversation.
  • New guy here. I'm interested in the TDI. Anyone know when they will start arriving in dealer lots? My local dealer said they are still not sure when to expect them.
    Many dealers already have demo models on the lot. Did your dealer try to extract a deposit from you? My local dealer in San Diego told me I could order one the way I want it at MSRP and expect delivery in 90 days. Was that just hype? I don't know. We all have had a car salesman tell a big one to get a sale.
  • malmouzamalmouza Posts: 141
    I heard the dealer talking about the end of this month August 2008. But he did add that he would not be surprise if the first delivery happen in September 2008. From his comment, I do not think he know the exact first delivery date for the VW 2009 Jetta TDI. But I know for sure that they already sold the Demo cars.
  • Yes, I took the demo for a test drive. It really impressed me. My sales guys say that pre orders is a bunch of, well you know. They hear that other dealers are telling customers that they can order them one and that is just is not true.Their VW rep. said that the who gets what part is still being worked on by VW. This info was told to me on July 31. I was wondering if someone else had heard any more that I have.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,487
    The best way to really find out is to ask them to see their ordering cue (software). The first batch is supposed to hit the dealers in later August. So for example my local dealer has four coming in. The best chance (for the August batch) is to call around/ back and see if anyone cancelled their orders, as it in effect, goes back on the market. At the time I did the test drive, 2/4 had deposits. I am sure the next two are probably spoken for. The next batch is due in September with option ordering, ie, color, sunroof, etc.
  • I'm curious to know if anyone's actually taken delivery of a '09 Jetta TDI yet? Our dealer keeps telling us that they are at port, and ready for distribution to dealers. Wonder what's the hold up?
    The VW Dealers in Phoenix with the exception of N. Scottsdale VW are gouging the heck out of the new Jetta, asking $3-4k over MSRP.....they are going to screw up a great thing for themselves.
    Hopefully the buyers will balk at paying a premium over MSRP. The higher price of diesel should soften the market some. Buying at MSRP with the tax credit makes the car a decent buy. I think the dealers are like Toyota with the Prius. They see that tax credit as theirs. If people will crunch the numbers and just say NO to gougers it will be for the best. It is hard for me to understand the mentality that will pay a premium for ANY vehicle. That is money down the toilet when you go to sell. All resale is based on invoice minus depreciation.
  • I was told the same thing. MSRP, 90 to 120 days.
    I see Edmunds is reporting the 09 Jetta with a 6-speed automatic. Only a 1MPG hit. Is this actually a DSG?
    Why pay a premium for a new TDI when you can get an 04 or 05 at a decent price used? A TDI with 50-70K on it still has a lot life left (mine is 02 at 198K+).
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Well the newer models are a heckuva lot bigger than the MKIV's. I had an '00 and my only real complaint was that it was useless at hauling adults in the back seat. I could probably get by with an '06 though if I could find one that was reasonable to buy and well maintained. Prices are still out of sight on any TDI's as far as I'm concerned. Insurance paid me a ridiculous amount of money for my TDI....I can wait.
  • malmouzamalmouza Posts: 141
    VW 04 and 05 TDI with 70K miles are sold for as much as $17k. That's outrages, better go and order a new one for $22160 MT transmission. Or wait until the first batch of jetta hit the show room, then the price for the old jetta will drop dramatically, I have seen this before, just be patient and you'll be saving thousands of dollars in your packet.
  • Has anyone been provided with information regarding lease rates? How residuals? IN South Florida, dealers are not saying absolutely anything about the vehicle.

REading here it appears a premium over MSRP may be the order of the day on the car is released. Maybe as gas/ diesel prices continue to decline, so will the premiums.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I would imagine as diesel prices come down, demand will go up on these. Diesel is not likely to continue such a wide price variance to gasoline, which is a major driving force on the demand of diesel vehicles. The price gap appears to be a product of the severe spikes and lower demand for gas. Since oil has retreated, we've gone locally from an $.80 variance to $.55 in the last few days. The company I'm consulting with buys about 2 million gallons of fuel a month and we're currently paying $3.88 for our non-contract on-road diesel....and that's dropped $.47 in the last seven days. The distributor is expecting it to stabalize around $3.60 for diesel and $3.50 for gas...assuming no hurricanes or anything crazy. A $.10-.20/gallon premium for diesel makes them quite a bit more cost effective. I'm not planning on even trying to bargain for a TDI until after the first of the year.