Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,753
    The range during break in miles has been between 39 to 45 mpg. When the GPS has been on it says the car hasn't gone over 90 mph. :blush:
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    2009 VW Tdi SprtWagon with Manual transmission: average MPG 30 with A/C full blast 95% of the time. Total miles: 5372
    How are you liking it so far?
  • We went on a 525 mile each way trip in March when my car had about 9,200 miles on it. Averaging 42.5 mpg at about 68 mph, 2 adults, loaded with luggage, no A/C using cruise. It now has about 18,500 miles. The last three tanks I got between 42.2 and 44.7 mpg, using the air sparingly and averaging about 35 mph on my 24 mile each way commute. Things that affect the mpgs are A/C use, number of passengers, stop in traffic, speeds over 55 mph. It has shown over 50 mpg on the MFD when I get off the X-way on my going home leg (with the wind and no construction traffic), but it always drops about 2 mpg by the time I get it into the garage. We'll be taking another trip to Niagra next week in the Summer heat (using A/C for the wife), so I'll let you know if you're still interested.

I love the car and the fuel economy. The seats are a little hard and the wife complains a little about the stiffer suspension.
    So far so good but there are several issues that I have with 2009 Tdi Wagon.

1. Suspension is too soft. I keep hitting the bottom of the trailer hitch on speed bumps in parking lots so equipped. Hitch was installed as an after market option.

2. The interior of the car is too hot with panoramic sun roof. If I would have a second chance I would get the car without the panoramic sunroof. Definitely not a good choice for Florida climate.

3. A/C is very good but actually too good - with full blast it fogs windows from the outside in this humid FL climate. I know you could run a heater while A/C is on but then the car does not cool down quickly enough after being parked on the sun.

4. The manual transmission (6 speed) is excellent - I love it!

5. Seats are firm and well shaped but I am thinking (again) putting sheep skins on front seating areas that keep seats cool in summer and warm in winter. (I had those on my previous car - Subaru Forester). Actually, my fellow passenger always thinks that the seat heater is on although it is not.

6. Displays and on-board computer are simple and functional, once you get used to them. One has to read the user's manual (on-board computer) and practice (while parked) so that you get most out of it.

7. Cruise controls are simple and finctional and work well.

8. Radio/CD player/changer and Sirius (prepaid by VW for 6 months) are good although I admit I don't use those that often.

9. Fit and finish is OK.

10. Mileage is average but I hope it will get better although I am not sure that I will keep the car that long (to get the right compression ratio that comes at 30 or 60K from what I read on these pages).

Overall it is OK but, as mentioned earlier, once Subaru Forester comes out with their diesel I will trade this one in.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    What's the desire for a Subie in Florida? They're about as common there as a convertible in Maine.
    Monsoon rains (rains heavy daily here) /hurricanes, and such and 3 or more annual trips to Colorado and Canada for skiing.... 2 trips already planned - Whistler/Black Comb, BC during Christmas 2009 and Winter Olympics in Vancouver and environs in Feb 2010 - those are the desires....
    I guess it makes sense if you're coming up north so often. I was interested in the Tiquan TDI but so far no sign of it. Of course really if it wasn't for the 7 miles of rural driving I do out unplowed roads, I'm perfectly content with snow tires and FWD and not take the fuel hit. AWD just kills mpg the 95% of the miles you don't need it. Not sure why VW won't put it in their TDI cars though, there's def a market for it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,525
    Subarus are good in heavy rain, mud, etc and generally have better ground clearance than normal crossovers or wagons.

I saw one here in Pensacola, FL (Tiguan Tdi) not long ago at Pete Moore VW...
    Yep - the ground clearance is the feature that I miss most....
    The new Jettas seem to sit a lot higher than the older ones. My '00 was very low but I had the steel skid plate so I could pretty much take out anything.
    I saw one here in Pensacola, FL (Tiguan Tdi) not long ago at Pete Moore VW...

Don't think so. They bagged the plans to release the TDI Tiguan in the states. Must have been a Touareg which is a boat anchor in my book.
    Come to think of it - you are right - it was a Touareg.....looked like a Porsche Cayenne ... I think they are on the same platform or Touareg is re-badged Cayenne or vice versa.
  • shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    For me, at around 75 - 80 MPH I can see around 42 - 43 MPG. If I stay around the speed limit, it is closer to the mid-upper 40s. Most of my driving is in the state of PA through the hills.

My personal best on a tank was 53.6, but that was a week of torture with slow driving and no airconditioning. I highly do not recommend that. I can't speak too much on city driving, I don't do that very often. What limited city I have done around Brooklyn/Queens I have seen around 29 - 30 MPG.
    Does anyone have any additional info regarding the recall that was posted today regarding the DSG? According to VW's website it states vehicles built between Sept 08 and Aug 09, not sure if that is all vehicles or certain ones.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=155529
    http://media.vw.com/index.php?s=43&item=488
  • Here's what I copied from the article....

The vehicles covered are the Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GTI, and Eos built between September 2008 and August 2009.
    I guess my car is ok then since it was built in August...

I'd imagine any vehicle is prone to having issues regardless of make/model, hopefully all works out for everyone affected.
  • I was under the impression that Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel was just about universally available now. But in the past 2 weeks, I've come across 2 Mobil stations here in Massachusetts that just have low sulpher diesel. I filled up once before I read the sticker. Is anyone else having this issue?
    While the powers that be that administer this, want to give you that impression, the fact of the matter is it continues to be a phase in type of situation. You might want to google your state's ULSD phase in procedure, as you probably could care less what has happened out in... CA for example.
    While I do see LSD at a few stations, it is not difficult to find ULSD here in PA.

Supposedly by Dec 1st 2010 all stations will be required to sell ULSD. We shall see what happens next year as we get closer to that date.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I beleive that only ULSD is available from the refineries for road-going vehicles.

It is said that just ONE LOAD of the LSD in a truck can contaminate the next 5 truckloads of ULSD in that same truck. That is why the trucks were "purged" somtime last year and no LSD has been in the trucks since then.... HOWEVER: The underground tanks at some of the stations may still be undergoing the "purge" process.

Keep in mind that even if ULSD is being put into the underground tanks at the station... they cannot automatically label the pumps as ULSD. It may take months of fill/drain cycles before the stuff coming from the pump can be labelled as ULSD.
    I was reading my owner's manual today and saw a section regarding Launch Control. Do all Jetta's with DSG have this functionality? If not, how would you be able to determine if your car has this capability (without attempting to use it)?
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    As far as I know, its on every DSG. Could be wrong, to use it put trans in "S"-Sport, right foot on gas, left on brake, when youre ready, take your foot off the brake.
    It seems like a goofy feature, unless it is adaptive for say ice and snow. Page 240 in the owners manual describes and how to function it, but its utility does NOT jump out at me.
    Woo Hoo !!! I wonder if it will match the 4 second 0-60 mph Z06 Corvette with the VW Launch Control option ?? Or do I need big HP stickers and a wing?... "Danger Zone" from "TOP GUN" blasting on the CD player? ;) :shades:
    On a more technical note, I think we are talking about a 8.2/9.5 second 0-60 with a DSG.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    Good PR for VW and should put to rest the concerns of everyone who paid the extra $1000.00+ for a faulty DSG that could kill you.

If you read the statement from VW it would seem that only the affected 07 to 09, 43,000 Volkswagens and 10,300 Audis with the problems would be getting this warranty and not all.

Hopefully the 2010's will be fault free.