Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• malmouzamalmouza Posts: 141
    I know about this subject for almost 6 months now. They did mention this car is coming to US market, and it will be sold for $18,500, and it will be rated at 60 MPG; we will believe it when the EPA certifies the car. But, something that was not repeated in the headlines lately is the fact that the new hybrid will be smaller than the Civic, and that is why Honda will keep selling the Civic Hybrid a long with the new Hybrid car. This will tell you how small the car is going to be. Prius has enough space to carry 4 peoples comfortably, plus a convenient cargo space with hatch back door. The new Honda Hybrid would be a good commuter car, to replace the old discontinued Honda Insight, but with more space than the Insight. The pictures of the new Honda Hybrid are all over the internet they are just a spy picture because the car is still in camouflage.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Care to back that up with some documentation? The last press release I see is from four days ago stating it would be "cheaper than the Civic Hybrid and Prius" and "Honda has not released estimated epa ratings". There is also nothing about limiting allocation to dealers who add fees, etc. I'm not sure how Honda would even know what dealers are adding fees unless hey get complaints after-the-fact. It's not like Honda has had any products commanding over MSRP in quite a few years anyway...so they shouldn't have much historical data to work with.

Either way, yawn at a small econo-box. I think most of us VW TDI folks are interested in a substantial vehicle that gets exceptional mpg. If you want to impress me, give me a 40-50mpg Accord sized vehicle. Or a 35mpg AWD cross-over.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Posts: 483
    "...it never gets old and you do not even think about it."
    ============================================================
    I spent a couple of decades in the auto repair business and can attest that manual transmissions do wear out and break with some regularity, and when the clutch and related components are included, are little, if any, more reliable than an automatic. Although not currently driving, I would never opt for a stick over an automatic as my experience in both owning and repairing sticks, the automatics can go 200K with only basic fluid changes while sticks will have long gone through clutches and related components, and possibly a complete transmission. This is further illustrated through drag racing where factory prepared automatics get consistently better average times, and don't self destruct in the process as compared to sticks.
    The allocation for this new hybrid is 100,000 cars the first year, and it will be built in USA.
    To answer your question that this subject came out a long time ago during the Tokyo Auto show is the two links bellow.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/01/14/075036.html
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/latest_news_reviews/h- - onda_to_add_three_new_hybrids_2010_fit_cr_z_and_small_hatchback_car_news
    the new headlines are bellow:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=130328
    Although I agree with you on the fact that the MT can break the same way the automatic does, I will have to add to that "It depends who's driving the car"; if you are changing the gear before you press completely the clutch, or after the clutch been released, the answer is yes, the gears will be subject to extreme abuse. But still repairing an automatic is more involved than repairing a MT; That is reflected in the extra cost you pay for the Auto vs MT.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Drive in stop-n-go all the time. Always owned manuals. No cramps. :)
  • Somebody tried to steal my car and broke the ignition switch ,my question is, is it possible to start the car or steal it without using the original key ?? And how is the security system working in VW cars ...?
  • ksmigelksmigel Posts: 56
    Care to back that up with some documentation? The last press release I see is from four days ago stating it would be "cheaper than the Civic Hybrid and Prius" and "Honda has not released estimated epa ratings".

I don't have anything proving Honda is enforcing MSRP, but here are two links on price and EPA ratings.

I still like the TDI, and think with its torque it will be useful in vehicles not suited for hybrid drivetrains, and I think competition on economy is good for all consumers!

Here is a link on price of $18,500 MSRP and on Japanese claims of 71mpg (not confirmed by U.S. source):

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-insight.html

:surprise:
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Yes it is possible to start the car and drive it without the using a key or the original key.
    And the easiest/quickest way to steal a vehicle (without a key) is to hook it or flatbed it.
  • c280c280 Posts: 21
    North Carolina!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Try six hours to go 60 miles in a snowstorm in Chicago. I got rid of my stick shortly thereafter. Some people's stop and go traffic is different than others.
    believe me if I tell you in two hours of crawling in bumper to bumper trafic will lead sometime to extreme fatigue for the legs. Try to drive in rush hours in van wck expressway in New York, or crossing the holland tunnel and hitting chinatown traffic and do it everyday and you will see how much stress you'll be subjecting your legs to. I drive MT all my life I don't like automatic, but still I hate traffic jum with the MT.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    I dont see 5 other cars on my 10-mile commute to work at 5:30AM.... Somtimes, in the winter, the road is plowed. 8-)
    The gears themselves are the least of it. Bearings, shafts, bushings, seals, trans. case, shift linkage, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch assembly, release bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, multiple switches and controls, and more. Additionally, the "load on load off" nature of a stick going between shifts places more strain on the universal joints (CV), the differential, and the engine and transmission mounts, than with an automatic. Over time the costs will be about equal. The additional initial price of the automatic at purchase is largely based on the customers willingness to pay the premium. In the waning days of stick shifts in large US cars one had to pay a premium to get a stick over an automatic - and then only on special order.
    I would pay premium to get manual transmission. But the manual transmission will always outlast automatic transmission. My old man drive a mercecdes 300D for a years, 260,000 miles, he rebuilt the engine, couple months ago, because my brother he was driving it without checking the oil for hunderds of miles. The original transmission, is still working just fine. A lot of cab drivers in Europe drives mercedes, they never warried about the transmission, as much as they warry about the engine after 300,000 km.
    "But the manual transmission will always outlast automatic transmission."
    ==========================================================
    As I mentioned earlier; as an auto mechanic for a couple of decades, that statement did not hold up. We frequently had to replace entire stick shift transmissions that were well beyond any kind of repair. We were almost always able to repair automatic transmissions. In my and my family's experience in both driving sticks and automatics in 40 plus cars, we never had to replace a single automatic but had to replace several sticks, plus the related hardware. The taxi companies where I live all have automatics, more than half are Mercedes, others are Ford and GM, and many of them have 300K miles on them. They would never consider a stick for many reasons anyway, but comparitive reliability is not a consideration.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Well that was years ago and I don't have to commute at all now.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Bull. Sorry but this is hogwash.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    This is a miracle that we agree. I have never had an automatic transmission fail. I had to replace the clutch in my son's 94 Toyota PU after 11k miles. No warranty coverage. That was $900 that I still despise Toyota over. There is a Mercedes Sprinter in the EU with 900k Km and still going with no major work done. It is a 5 speed tiptronic automatic.

During High School in the late 1950s I worked in a wrecking yard rebuilding manual transmissions. Lots of synchro gears were worn out. Most manual transmission problems are caused by poor drivers. Riding the clutch destroys the throw out bearing and requires replacement. I would agree a smooth driver will get good service from a manual transmission. They are a rare breed in the USA.

I would buy a vehicle with the new technology DSG transmission. I think there are several automakers using that technology now.

The Bugatti Veyron 1000 HP sports car uses the direct clutch transmission. It is a 7 speed. Most of the German cars are using one type or another. Eventually the Japanese will catch up. They are great copiers.

PS
    I would not buy a MT because my wife has very severe arthritis that would painful for her to drive a stick. She did enjoy a MT in both her 911 and 914 Porsches.