Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,028
    Trade it in at 119,999 miles. :blush:
  • shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    I am currently past due for my 40K service, I should have it done when I return home for Christmas, and will update then. I hope it isn't too high! I have an 09 with DSG.
    With 40k miles on an 09 have you ever shut off the engine? It usually takes me 4-5 year to get that many miles on a vehicle.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    40K on an 09' is worth a note explaining were you've been with that car!

Are you already 'miled' out of warranty?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    At 40K miles... your engine is almost broken-in and running at its peak-effencency. (Yes - TDIs are known to take over 40K miles to start showing good numbers during a cylinder-pressure-check)

I have a spreadsheet showing every drop of fuel pumped into my TDI... I can confirm that the MPG steadally increased over the first 40K miles.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,930
    rocknrolltdi, your experience is shared by many drivers of non-performance cars who chose larger wheels & low-profile tires, often for 'styling' reasons.
    imho there's no upside in having performance/low-profile tires on a non-performance/sports/pony car... and you have pointed out some big downsides!
  • oli1oli1 Posts: 33
    I have a feeling this has been asked before, but at what point does the price of diesel reach before it is not economical any more vs driving a gasser?
    At noticed for a while the diesel was somewhat cheaper than gas, but today here in SoCal, I have seen it 20 cents more.
    hello ollie,
    All else being equal, the diesel model of a vehicle will get 40% or 50% better mpg than the gas engine. For Audi A3, it's 50%.
    So when the price of diesel is more than 1.5x the price of gas, that is when the fuel cost per mile is more in a diesel than for equivalent car with gas engine.
    The gas vs diesel prices vary by seasons, so the tradeoff varies changes by season.
    I drive anywhere from 35k to 60k miles per year and saved considerable $ monthly even when diesel was $5 and gas was $4 locally, especially since my gasser gets 20 mpg and diesel gets 45 mpg.
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Here in NW FL diesel fuel is just about the same as gas (plus/minus 5 cents).
    In So. Calif. (where I spent 35 years of my life) the problem is the capacity of fuel refineries to produce diesel. Most of the refineries (Long Beach and El Segundo) have a higher demand for gas. It's a supply and demand issue there.
    Here in NW Fl we get diesel from the Gulf refineries.
    In East Europe and Russia - you get it on the black market from the Army for a fraction of the cost! Been there - done that!
    Nice math, elias!
    thanks jo-go-usa !
    (ps - My driving instructor: Isaac Newton.)
  • Shrifty... Over 40K miles already!! WOW that's a lot of windshield time. Please let us know what the damage is and whether you had the service done at a dealer or a TDI Guru you were able to locate.
  • Gagrice... Trade in at 119,999 is always an option. Who knows what other cars will be available at that time. I was counting on the greater resale value of the TDI offsetting the maintenance costs. Only time will tell if this strategy works out the way probably all of us here hope.
  • Try not to buy Diesel at major truck areas - it will be much more expensive than in residential areas - like $1 more per gallon.
    Given that I have spreadsheet for every car I own which tracks fuel-cost, I feel I can provide some real-world numbers to help answer this question.

The very best way to make this comparison is to use CPM (Cost Per Mile) . This gives a single number to make this comparison. My spreadsheet calculates CPM in realtime over the life of each vehicle.

Dodge Dakota (4.7L V8 gasoline) $0.08/mile (calculated from 1999 - 2003)
    Subaru Baja (2.5L turbo gasoline) $0.12/mile (calculated for the past 8 months)
    VW TDI (1.9L turbo diesel) $0.05/mile (calculated from 2003 to 2009)

Notice, that the Dodge truck with V8 engine appears to be pretty low.... but the TDI was measuring around $0.03/mile during that same timeframe!

I beleive my measurements tend to validate what a past appender said. Diesel would need to be about 1.5 or 2 times higher than gasoline JUST TO BREAK EVEN!!!

This does not take into account that diesel has lower maintenance costs than gasoline. There is no ignition system to break or replace sparkplugs/wires....etc.
    My experience is just the opposate of what you are saying. Most major truck-stops have lower prices for diesel than other places. It is also said that you want to buy your diesel "where it flows like wine" (sells quickly). This ensures you are getting fresh fuel...not something that has been sittin in a tank for months.

My very favorite is Flying J truckstops.
    Funny you should mention Flying J. I got the very best mileage of our 5700 mile trip with a tank full of Flying J RUG just west of Albuquerque New Mexico on Interstate 40. Must have not had much mileage robbing ethanol in it.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I learned firsthand during this past week of 0-10F degree nights that the warnings about the TDI/DSG combination in cold weather are true. Starting is difficult because of the resistance of the DSG transmission even while in park or neutral. After the engine starts and the idle evens out, the DSG will slip or not even engage when shifted into reverse or drive. Once the ambient temperature gets above 10F, or the engine warms, the transmission operates correctly. Next time we get a cold snap, the Passat TDI with Tiptronic gets to spend the night outside.

More information is available at:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/dsg_faq.htm
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,006
    The main disadvantage is that it harder to modify, heavier, and gives slightly lower fuel economy compared to a traditional manual transmission.

It's lighter and there's less parasitic power loss. You should also notice faster shifting and better fuel economy than a slushbox.

The above was copied from the article you provided a link to(I provided the bolding). Not quite sure I understand. Is it heavier or not? I'm not sure I would take a lot of what the author says as gospel when he says the direct opposite in two paragraphs. Also, I've read several times that a good DSG will actually provide better mpg than manual tranny and doesn't the Jetta TDI EPA numbers bear that out?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I referenced the article in regards to cold weather starting. There is an abundance of material on the Web, including several videos on You Tube, regarding the frigid weather starting problems with the DSG that substantiate the author's explanation. I admit that I did not double check every sentence on every aspect of the DSG addressed in the article for accuracy. The author may even cheat on his wife and back into fire hydrants at night for all I know.

I could care less how much the tranny weighs. After driving our Jetta TDI for 43 months, this is the only complaint I've had about the DSG, and I would certainly buy another car with a DSG. I will be considering buying a block heater, though. And, I suggest that anyone considering buying a Jetta TDI with a DSG consider the same if parking outside in frigid weather will be a concern.
    Is there way to circulate heat to the DSG with your engine heater?
    I have no specific knowledge about the DSG... but all automatic xmissions that I am aware of have their hydrolic fluid heat-exchanged with the engine antifreeze.

In laymans terms this means, the transmisstion temparture is SHARED with the engine. In this way, any heat generated in the xmission is disapated out thru the radiator.

(Some xmissions have their own seperate cooling system....)

With this said, I would expect that using a plug-in engine-heater would also tend to warm the xmission once the engine is started and the fluid starts to flow.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,006
    Well, EXCUSE me if I asked a question not directly related. Cosmo, I wasn't inferring that you provided bad info I just noticed the difference and was wondering about it. Have a good one.
    To explain the miles, I have been taking regular trips to NYC almost weekly, drove up to Saskatchewan for vacation, and many business trips for work. Oddly enough, tomorrow will be 2 weeks that my car has NOT been running, which is the longest the car sat in one place since being built. So much for the 3 year warranty! That has expired about 2 months ago. It would be nice to see an option for a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Typically I put on between 30-35K miles a year, and I've had the car a bit over a year now. I spoke with the dealer about the 40K service, they said the DSG fluid alone was roughly $350! I think the total would run in the 700 range... :mad:
    A few weeks ago I was traveling down the highway when I hit a piece of re-tread, and it got stuck in the lower plastic front grille piece in the center of the car. I believe the only thing broken is the plastic, does anyone know about how much that will cost to replace?
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    You can buy a new Jetta Grill on eBay for about $40.00 delivered.

Not sure exactly where your damage is, but if it's the grill unit, it comes out in about 2 min.

However, the guy only sells the ones for cars with the front license plate.
    Amazon sells one for 30 plus shipping.
    Replacement is a piece of cake - go on eurotuner's website for step-by-step instructions. All you need is a philips screwdriver and T20 torx bit/screwdriver.
  • Went looking for a 2010 TDI found that while there are NO incentives . Prices quoted are lower than invoice on web sites???? Is there any factory to dealer Cash?????? If so how much?? I know they are NOT losing any money
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    TDI sales are strong and I wouldn't expect to see any incentives for awhile. There are a couple big TDI dealers selling for invoice but most of the small dealers are not discounting much at all. They were selling back in the summer for a lot less but VW had some incentives on the end of year 2009 models.
  • Lower then invoice or lower then MSRP? Are you getting the two confused? Which website are saying this?

Edmunds TMV shows pricing about 400 dollars below MSRP for a base Jetta TDI which sounds about right to me for average. Maybe you can buy one for right at invoice or a little above some dealers. An invoice deal would be about another 900 dollars off.