Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    edited March 2010
    Well, since I have 09 VW as well, it would be nice to know.

You can always ask the service technicians or service manager to point the area in your engine compartment and/or ask them to show you, what they have replaced. Replaced items, if under warranty, normally go back to VW technical center for their evaluation. But, once out of warranty, the replaced items must be saved and given to the owner, if you ask for it. I think there is a law to that effect.

But anyway, I just thought it would be nice to know and inspect that area....

Thanks anyway...
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Last time I checked wal mart had 5 qt Mobil1 for $20-22. Price fluctuates.
    edited March 2010
    Walmart does NOT have Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 that could be used in 09 TDI... that one is only available at PepBoys in 1 liter plastic bottles (at least here in NW Florida) ...you can get 5 bottles for $ 6 each, if you ask the store manager....all Mobil 1s that Walmart has are NOT VW 507 00 approved....be aware!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited April 2010
    I agree... one quick way to tell is that the European oil is most often available in LITERE containers... not QUART containers. By no means am I suggesting you do not read the label too. If it does not say that is meets the magic VW numbers - then put it back on the shelf. We all know what using the wrong oil can do to TDI engine. (self-destructing camshaft)
  • shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    Back in November/December my check engine light came on and the dealership diagnosed it as a bad exhaust flap. Since I was at 45K miles, they said it would not be covered under warranty. I had my car taken in last week to have this part replaced, it ended up costing around $500. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the '09? Initially they said the part was on back order, and had no idea when it would be available. Is it common for this part to go bad?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,911
    shriftster, each warranty goes beyond 45k except for things like brake pads which are warranteed until 12k, so it seems inconsistent that 45k on the ticker would cause it to be out of warranty.
    I thought it should be under warranty as well. When I get home next month I'll check into it further.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,964
    If it is required for emissions, I would think the warranty would be longer by law. That is disconcerting. I may just keep driving my 21 year old Lexus, as long as it runs good. I can buy a lot of gas for $500. Don't think I spent that much on gas for the car last year.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    They do have VW approved M1, however, my mistake, I watch this forum as a future diesel owner (we use different grades of oil) and current gas turbo owner.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,991
    Most emission systems have to be warranteed for like 5, 7 or 10 years depending on state. I think the federal minimum is 5 years but I'm no expert....just going by what I've heard/read. Definitely worth checking out warranty wise.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,781
    Yes but this extended warranty is only for certain MAJOR components related to emissions---not every part.

edited April 2010
    Yeah, that's why he should read the fine print of the warranty. Regardless, $500 sounds MAJOR to me. If not, I'd hate to see what MAJOR components would cost. :sick:
    Nope not covered under the Federal 80K Emissions warranty. The only components convered are the Emissions Control Unit ECU, the OBD-II interface and the catalytic converter.

:sick: :sick:

Interpreted: That sucks.
    The part in question is there for emission control purposes so if they tell you that you have to pay for it, call the State Atty Generals office and file a complaint against the dealership. That part is only available from VW and it is an exhaust system emission control device. The manufacturer has to cover it under emissions warranty or provide it free under Mag-Moss, as it is only available from them, and is required to keep the vehicle in compliance with the Federal Clean Air Act. No aftermarket exists for that part. That is the key to a Mag Moss violation.

This from TDI Club. It is worth a try to save $500. If it is as this post suggests.
    Nice info. One should copy and paste that to a doc, print it out and keep in the glove compartment!
  • What does the Exhaust Flap do? And what is it for?

I have an 09 JSW TDI with DSG. This does sound like Emissions Warranty to me!
    edited April 2010
    This from the EPA "Fact Sheet"

(NOTE: This info may have been revised!!)

"There are three specified major emission control components,
    covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
    and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

** In the future, there may be other parts or components that
    qualify for this coverage. Check your owner's manual or warranty book
    for possible additional coverage.

FURTHER INFO:

"What Should I Do If My First Attempt to Obtain Warranty Coverage Is
    Denied?

If your first attempt to receive emissions warranty coverage is
    denied, you should do the following:

1) Ask for a detailed explanation, in writing as to why emissions
    warranty coverage was denied; and

2) Ask for the name(s) of the person(s) involved in the decision
    to deny coverage, including anyone from the manufacturer's
    regional or zone office; and

3) Ask for the name(s) of the person(s) with the manufacturer you
    should contact to appeal the denial of coverage under the
    emissions warranty.

4) Contact and, if necessary, write to the person mentioned above
    requesting coverage and giving the basis for your request. Repeat
    and continue the appeal process until you are satisfied or have
    exhausted all means of appeal."

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    edited April 2010
    After all the hand wringing and second guessing on VW's bizarre oil ratings for the 2006 Jetta TDI, it seems to me that after 1000's of Oil Wars Forum posts on the subject from people, some who have had to rebuild the problem prone cam shaft and all it's little bits and pieces, that it's actually best not to use ANY of the VW recommended oils.

Unfortunate VW owners have spent piles of cash in expensive top end re-builds in cars that used the VW recommended 505.01 oil since new, with no guarantee
    that the new cam, bearings and lifters will last any longer that the old ones,

I think VW is just hoping all the old PD 2005.5/2006 BRM engines will all quietly wind up in the crusher soon and everyone will forget about that embarrassing little experiment.
    many well-informed TDI owners have come to the opposite conclusion as you, longo2. We say it's best to use only the oil that meets the VW specs. Seems like it's a very small % of those 05.5/06 TDIs that have the "soft camshaft metal" problem.
    It was just one bad batch o camshafts, according to all the data I've seen, including that from the local dealership which services thousands of TDIs and has only seen one with the "dissolving-camshaft". but hey, they could be lying to me I suppose :|
    i was thinking that the "exhaust flap" would be covered under the 48000 mile drivetrain warranty, not the emissions warranty.
    I understand that "exhaust flap" is known also as the "anti-shudder valve" and is important for safety , such as to prevent the engine from running forever after the key is turned off.
    Well that's not a drive train part though. :(

• dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    You should have received a separate emissions warranty booklet listing the covered components (and their parts). Emissions control components often required by state law to be warranted for considerably longer than the typical 50-60K mile drivetrain warranty. In California, its (IIRC) 70K miles/7 years. YMMV for other states.
    yeah, i think i was off-base on that exhaust-flap being same as "anti-shudder valve" - currently I understand that exhaust-flap is something very different. it also sounds somewhat "optional". (I understand my "dirty-diesel" 06 doesn't have an "exhaust flap" - it's only the DPF/newer/CR models which have it in USA.)
    The folks on Freds are more knowledgeable than me about these things - they are rather adamant that the emissions warranty should cover exhaust-flap if it fails before 80k or 100k. They recommend filing a complaint with EPA/NHTSA if VW doesn't cover it under the emissions warranty.
    Additionally I would file a complaint with VW "zone office" if they don't pay for "exhaust flap" under emissions warranty - make sure it gets to someone with a title resembling "zone office representative" for your region.
    edited April 2010
    From what the dealership said, the car will run fine without this part. As many have mentioned, it is part of the Exhaust/Emissions functionality of the car, so it does seem that it should be covered under warranty. What does it say in the Owner's Manual of the vehicle? I currently don't have access to it to review. Once I have the opportunity I will be contacting VW to find out why this part wasn't covered. I recall reading something about the emissions being covered for around 80K...

This link is a bit old, but might still apply?
    http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

* Emission control and emission related parts are covered for the
    first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use; and

* Specified major emission control components are covered for the
    first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use.

Since I haven't owned the car for two years, it is well over the 24K miles. For the second bullet, the question is, is this part "major"? It is certainly expensive....
  • Run it without! Might improve mileage! Spend the $500 on GOODIES for VW!
    edited April 2010
    Major components, covered by the Federal Emission Warranty and as mentioned in one of the previous posts (and according to VW ) are:

catalytic converter

engine electronic control module (ECM)

on board diagnostic device (OBD)

All above 8 years or 80,000 miles

There is a disclaimer though, damages caused by tampering, use of improper fuel, abuse, neglect and improper maintenance are not covered by this warranty. This, probably written by a clever attorney, may mean just about anything and could be interpreted into one's advantage (or disadvantage).

It never hurts to ask the VW service manager to double-check with VW N.A. and double-check his "check" ... i.e. yourself calling tech support at VW N.A. and check with them directly.
    The key is: Does the part affect emissions, and is it available from an aftermarket supplier? If the car runs fine without it and it is just for emissions, I would not spend my $500 repairing it every 45k miles. I am sure there is a lot of crap on cars today that are only there for emissions. In CA there is a limit as too how much you have to spend to keep your car up to standards.
    Not just in CA but in Colorado as well. I think it varies from State to State.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    Car and Driver recently published test results comparing the performance effects of up sizing wheels and tires on a VW Golf. The advantages of 19 inch wheels and tires over 15 inch wheels and tires on the Golf were a 3% improvement in braking and a 6% improvement in skid pad g's.

The disadvantages of the 19 inch combo compared to the 15 inch combo were a 132% increase in tire price (NOT counting the price of the 19 inch wheels), a 4% slower acceleration from 0-60mph, a 9% decrease in fuel economy, and a 35% increase in wheel/tire unsprung weight.

Regarding the effects of unsprung weight, I offer an excerpt from the October 2008 edition of Popular Hot Rodding:

"The lighter the wheel and other unsprung components, the easier it is for the tire to follow bumps in the road. On a vehicle with extremely high unsprung weight, the inertia of the wheel and associated assembly can't move fast enough to follow the road, resulting in a jarring, crashing ride. What's more, a heavy wheel/tire combo requires a heavier spring and shock package to control it, upping the ante with even more weight, bigger brakes (still more unsprung weight), in a situation that spirals out of control."

Do the math. And, if you do not drive on smooth skid pads 100% of the time, add the price of a case of Preparation-H to the 19 inch setup.

By the way, Car and Driver found the 18, 17, an 16 inch wheel/tire combos to be progressively less penalizing on the Golf. For real world driving, I like the 15 inch combo results. :D