Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,678
    edited July 2010
    Yep, I've owned 3 diesels and drove them many miles. (two cars, one truck). Can't say I noticed any real difference in decel from a gas car---never really thought about it.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    altair MITS 8800, you are going to be in mpg hog heaven with a VW TDI, no matter what year/model. JSW would be my pick too.

coasting in neutral does reduce mpg in addition to being a civil violation of the "vehicle code" in most states.
    coasting in gear is the optimal approach as it uses zero fuel and because frictional losses in the engine are not large enough.
    generally, if coasting out of gear were an optimal mpg approach then a couple of thermodynamic laws would be violated. So it's not going to be happening in this universe, except for oddball theoretical cases. Those cases would be the ones where we theorize enormous internal frictional losses within of an engine running downhill using zero fuel.
    Mr. Shiftright, please don't shift the subject?!
    The driver-touches-go-pedal would be a different subject, a case where a nonzero amount of fuel is used going down the hill.
    The subject at hand was coasting down the hill !
    The definition of coasting is "foot off gas", unless we are making up new words/definitions, which can be fun too. Thusly I hereby refudiate your shifting the subject from the no-touchy-gas-pedal case to the feather-gas-pedal case.
    I'm kinda done with this, since I don't see it as really relevant to the real world enjoyment of a TDI. It's one of those hypothetical arguments that go nowhere and probably will bore our friends here. I'd rather have you guys talking than me.

Thanks Mr. Shiftright for guiding me back to TDI-specific topics.

I may be cross-shopping to replace my 2006 Jetta TDI like so::

- maxxed 2011 or 2012 VW TDI wagon/golf, no sunroof.
    - 2011 or 2012 2WD regular cab GM duramax pickup
    - 2010 leftover HHR-SS, or 2011/2012 HHR LT

The pickup costs plenty more but provides so much more functionality, power, torque, and mpg up to 30 mpg @ steady-state 55 mph, and ~25 mpg in normal highway driving. It requires urea-additive, but that's how the increased power/torque/mpg was achieved, so I'm willing to accept that!
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Posts: 76
    I live in Brooklyn, NY and regularly use the heat during winter months. In really cold weather how long does the TDI take to give heat out of the vents? I am used to getting heat within 5 minutes.

Thanks.
    edited July 2010
    For the 06 & earlier models with leadfoot drivers, it could be just a minute longer to get heat compared to equivalent gasser.

Or could be infinitely longer, depending on the traffic/cold conditions ! ! !
    (Slow/stop & go in super cold weather: engine will never warm up.)

if you want guaranteed/quickest/hottest possible heat, you'll want an inefficient, slow, small gasoline engine in your car...
  • vinchenz61vinchenz61 Posts: 12
    You will have heat in less than5 minutes. I live in Northern Jersey..same climate as Bbrooklyn. I just gave up a V8 suv and my heat and AC were much faster. Up in Vermont in some -10 F it get a little challeging
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited July 2010
    Seat-heaters is a MUST HAVE with TDI if you live in cold temps.

Heck, Even after engine warms up... if I use heater with full-blast fan... the engine will COOL BACK DOWN if I am not on interstate driving. Make no mistake... you will LOSE HEAT in the cabin if you are in stop-n-go traffic as the engine cools off.

Efficent engine = very litte wasted heat from engine to warm passengers
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Efficent engine = very litte wasted heat from engine to warm passengers

That's the bottom line exactly and I think it's fascinating. We live in the southeast and aren't sure if our new '10 JSW TDI has the heater. We think that it might have the heater because we parked one night in an underground garage where it was somewhat cool and when we turned on the heat we thought we felt instant somewhat warm air. We'll know for sure come November ... ;)
    If I am not mistaken, your 2010 TDI has electric heating elements that assist in warming the air blowing from the vents. That may be what you felt.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    edited July 2010
    I think you're correct on the supplementary electric heater in the '09+ TDIs. Car & Driver wrote that only Jettas sold in Canada have them, but that's been proven incorrect because many US owners have them standard.
  • sydneybsydneyb Posts: 1
    I am the happy owner of a 2009 tdi sportwagen with about 25000 miles on it. Ever since the car was new I have used less than one pint of (the special) oil in each of the 10,000 mile change intervals. I have owned many different cars in 50+ years of driving, but never one that used this little oil. Any comments?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,092
    Welcome to the forum.
    You are experiencing the superior engineering in the VW/Audi diesel engines. If any other auto maker builds a better 4 cylinder engine, I would like to drive it myself to make up my mind. Next to no oil is a big plus over 10,000 miles for sure. For me the drivability of the engine is the top feature. I doubt that any gas 4 cylinder can cruise at 70 MPH up hill and down without shifting to a lower gear racing the engine to get enough torque to pull the long hills.
    Actually using a little bit of oil is not necessarily a bad thing for an engine. It's certainly not a sign of anything wrong, nor is burning no oil whatsoever a sign of anything particularly meritorious. Some engines, like race engines, are designed a bit loose for their extreme uses, for instance. So adding a teacup now and then is no cause for concern.

on 400k or 500k of 03,05,06 TDI driving I've only needed to add oil after a day or so of ~100 mph driving, cross-country on I-80, once each westbound & eastbound. Maybe it would not have burned that one quart each way if there'd been a 6th gear like with the 09/010/011 6-speeds.
    A turbocharged engine will tend to consume minimal engine oil as it seeps into the intake system and gets blown thru the intercooler into the engine. Also, your EGR system will also tend to consume some engine-oil.

My TDI has over 120,000 miles and consumes NO MEASUREABLE AMOUNT of engine-oil between 10K mile OCI. (Oil Change Interval)

You will find that low oil-consumption is partually due to the "special" oul which TDIs must have in them. That oil is a highly-engineered lubricant..... which has been proven to be able to go significantly more than 10K mile OCI.
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    sydneyb, When I took delivery of my Skoda Fabia vRS with the VW 130bhp 1.9 TDi engine I purchased a 1 litre pack of the VW 505.01 oil to use as top up. Nearly 50k miles later I sold the car, (still regret it), and that pack still had most of the original litre left in it. Seems to be pretty normal for these engines. AFAIK, the latest VW CRD engines now run to 20k oil changes..............a testament to engineering and lubes blending.

I now drive an '06 Volvo S60 with the 185bhp D5 diesel engine and it doesn't use any engine oil between 18k mile services/oil changes. Selling retail lubes is not a good game to get into as forecourt sales, (at least here in Europe), have cratered.

Long may it continue and long may you enjoy your TDi.
  • mamx4mamx4 Posts: 10
    My Jetta is a 2006 model. This AM when I got to the office, 103663 miles. I change the oil myself every 5000 miles with a filter at each oil change. Absolutely, no oil usage between changes, zero, nada. I think part of it is just diesels really have to be in bad shape with a lot of miles to start using oil. I think the other part is the real jump forward when synthetic technology came out. I use Mobil 1, ESP formula 5W-30.

Doc MItchell
    modern diesel engines are so much better engineered than in the old days--on older diesels, like Mercedes from the 80s, your oil would get dirty in a matter of weeks, from blow-by due to the high compression. No more of that!

Why do you change oil in TDI at 5,000 miles??

As long as you are using VW-approved oil and quality German-made filter...Here are several reasons to NOT do that;
    *) It costs more money to change oil and filter more frequently.
    *) It is wasting money to drain perfectly good oil out of the engine.
    *) It has been documented that most of the "wear" occours during the 1st 3000 miles after an oil change. (Hence - you are causing MORE wear to your engine by changing more frenquently)
    *) It has been documented that the VW-approved oils can actually go up to 20,000 OCI before oil-analsys show it is breaking down.
  • 50k50k Posts: 10
    shrifty,

I have 61k on my 2009 Jetta TDI and had the same problem with the exhaust gas flapper valve. VW covered the repair (to my surprise).

I have been doing my own oil and fuel filter changes, but have had to pay $350 for the DSG service.

VW sent me a letter providing a warranty to 100k on the DSG, problem is I need to take the car past 120K.

If I invest in a timing belt at 120k and all the DSG service, what happens when the DSG implodes at 110K ?

I really like the car, but am thinking of dumping it while it's still worth something for a better high miler ( civic or corolla).

The savings in fuel make up for the expensive maintenance, however if I would have had to pay for the exhaust gas flapper it would have been by by TDI.

I drive all freeway here in Wisconsin as the car performs well in the snow and cold.

It is interesting to see another TDI in the same mileage range as mine.

Have you experienced or heard of any additional problems before 100k miles ?
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    quote: It has been documented that most of the "wear" occours during the 1st 3000 miles after an oil change

This is slightly misleading.

The wear after an oil change primarily occurs at the very first start when there could be a brief delay in oil circulation, but we're talking like 1-2 seconds before the oil pump does its thing. However, it's not very significant in comparison to a normal cold start.

I agreed with your post in general, however, and would like to add that VW uses a cartridge type of filter with a large element which enables longer change intervals.

Synthetic oil can easily go far more than 3,000 miles, I agree, but in cars with a small spin-on filter you should change every 5,000 to 7,500 at least because the filter is shot. I am sure that VW's change interval is based on how long they expect the cartridge filter to last and I am quite confident that is far beyond 3,000 miles. When you are using a longer change interval, though, it is more important to check your dipstick and top-off if necessary. Every 3,000-4,000 miles is probably about right for that. (Checking every fuel stop is from an age when cars did consume a lot of oil. :))
    edited August 2010
    (Colin_I) I am very aware of the 'dry' startup after an oil change can cause additional wear as the oil-filter fills with oil. On the TDI, this is easilly averted by PRE-FILLING the filter-housing with oil before screwing the cap on. Doesn't everyone do this anyway?

Actually, my reference to wear in the 1st 3,000 miles was in reference to folks who regularly send in their oil to be "analyzed" for wear-particals. It has been noted that on the TDI engine, the wear-partical readings tend to stay high for about 3,000 miles... then settle down to a very low level after that as long as the oil is not changed and the filter does not plug.

Changing the oil/filter has been shown to make the wear-particals spike up again for about 3,000 miles.
  • shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    Nice, how did you manage to get that covered?? I have heard of a few other people with that problem, I wasn't as fortunate, quite pricey to have that fixed :mad:

I have to agree about driving in the snow, the car does quite well. Not with the original tires, but put a decent set on and it is very decent. I have lost some heat on really cold days, but keeping it at speed helps a lot.

I have had two other issues with the car, one recent. My left rear door lock has been giving me some problems, the door doesn't always want to lock. This is quite annoying as I usually find myself somewhere in Queens/Brooklyn on a weekly basis and not exactly in the nicest of areas. I would prefer to have my car locked and alarmed. Fortunately right now I have my door locked, and as long as I don't unlock it I'm ok... I just open my passenger doors manually (keep left rear closed at all times) so that I don't accidentally unlock and then run into the issue again. I'm sure it is definitely out of warranty (at 56K currently) so I don't really feel like having the expense of repairing it.

My other issue oddly enough happened at 69 miles, my check engine light came on once I got home from the dealership. Drove for another day or two, and the coil light remained light as well. At 123 miles, the car had to be towed :cry: When I called VW 24 hr hotline, the woman asked me how many miles, and when I told her she said 123 thousand? I said no.... just 123. Turns out it was a loose fuel pump relay or something to that effect and the car has run fine since.

Being my first diesel I don't have any experience beyond 56K, so it will be interesting to see what happens from here. I have the same extended warranty on the DSG as well, hope it will last longer than that!

I wonder what the trade in /resale value will be at 100K in 2011? I'm sure it doesn't look good to have a car that is 2-3 years old with that mileage on it, but I heard diesels have a higher value than their gas counterparts. I think I'm going to risk keeping the car until it falls apart, which hopefully won't happen for quite some time.

I've never been a big fan of driving a manual, but after I've driven a few manual diesels overseas this past year, I'd definitely consider one for my next vehicle in the future.
    Does anyone know of a way to disable the DAC? I find it to be rather annoying when driving in a hilly area.

As for Launch Control, I read in the manual that some Jettas have it, but I don't believe it applies to the TDI. I tried it one night, and followed the steps as my friend read it off to me. The engine revved to about 2.5K and then seemed to stall... Does anyone know which models have it?
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    DSG Jettas have it.
    My 09 sedan has the DSG, but I assume you mean just the gas versions? Or did I misread something when attempting to use it?
  • shirfty: I was in for a regular service visit in 2009 and talking to the dealer about the resale value of an '09. He told me he just gave someone $13K for an '06 TDI with 100K miles on it. I think the car was about $22K new. That's only about $3K per year depreciation, assuming tax :mad: is a sunk cost. I'm interested in the stereo upgrades in the '11 TDIs, but the electric vehicles are coming soon too :shades: .
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    DSG has launch control.....does it matter if its deisel or gas? Dunno....same size engine, gas or diesel, think about it, programming has to be there, and that diesel has some torque!

I rarely use it, but when I do, its fun.