Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    The DSG fluid is expected to be changed every 40,000 miles on my 2006 TDI BRM engine, don't know what you drive but my other vehicle is a 2003 Honda Odyssey, notorious for transmission trouble.

AS a result of all the grief that comes with the Honda's I am paranoid about any transmission that has fluids and filters so on this service with the VW I just, do it. To make things interesting for the DIY'er out there, the VW fluid change is particulaly complicated. The Honda just gets a drain and fill every second motor oil change, takes about 10 min.

The VW fluid change on the other hand is a total PIA.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Its a 2008 Jetta gas turbo-DSG.
    It's probably the same fluid change interval for your gasser, but if you can't find
    any DSG fluid service mileage mentioned in your book, then by all means just call the nearest VW service and ask them what the interval is.

Then shop around (if you can) and get some price quotes for the service. I did this once on a road trip we were taking and the VW Dealer in Las Vegas wanted $595.00!
    I got it done at Southtowne VW in Sandy, Utah, for $270.00 , had a coupon, still, that's about an hours shop time plus the filter and fluid, so I didn't think that was too bad, plus they did a recall fix on the drivers seat wiring while it was in for the a/t change.
    Saved me a lot of time, plus they gave me a new VW Jetta Sportswagon to drive for a few hours.

(loved that car, if they would have had a TDI in the new "Wheat Beige" and the light colored interior on the lot, we would have traded our 06' on the spot and driven away in the 12')
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    As I said, with the holiday and family and so on I will check my records, the 20k service isnt much but the 40k they do alot, I got a loaner for the 40k service and picked my car up the next day.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    That is one reason my VW dealership is a 2-hour drive from my home.... they provide free loner cars .... and even pickup-n-delivery from my driveway if I wanted.
  • vw2010vw2010 Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    My 2009 Sportswagon has 19,000 miles. I purchased it new from the dealer in May 09 with a 3 year service warranty in Illinois. I called the dealership about service in December 09 and the June 2010, and each time they said I did not need service/maintenance as my mileage was so low

Last June I was told I needed to replace the Particulate Filter at a cost of $3500.00 without labor. The "warranty had been expired for three days. They told me the service light had been on for 500 miles, which was not true. After I complained VW paid for the parts not the labor. THey did the work, but again did not service the car. VW service said I should drive my car on the highway to blow out particulates?

In July 2012 I went to Jiffy Lube to have the car serviced as I was going on a trip and VW dealer kept saying my car did not need servicing. The Lube garage placed Pennzoil 5W40 Plat Synth Euro in the car, what they said VW recommended.

Several weeks ago the service light came on again and the engine failed while my son was driving. Again, I am told we need to replace the particulate filter , 3500.00 for the filter and then add labor and replace some other things due to the seal on the fuel injection failing and diesel leaked on a belt which also needs replacing.

When we told VW service the exact oil ( above) that had been used they said yes that was right and the warranty would cover it. THen they made a phone call and came back saying the the density of the oil was wrong and that the warranty would not cover it. Needed to be 5W30 not 40.

Has anyone else had trouble with the PARTICULATE Filters?

I have also had the problem of a very loud fan noise for several years...when I asked the dealership service they have twice said they did not notice anything.

As a lay person, I say VW could do a better job educating new owners on Diesel engines.
    Would you mind posting the name and location of your VW dealership that has been gouging you for repairs?

That way every other owner in your area might give them a WIDE berth!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    He/she can post the dealership name here, but it's more likely to be seen by the intended (local) audience if submitted in our dealership & repair shop reviews section:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealer-reviews/

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I am soooo glad my 2003 TDI does NOT have particulate filter (or much of the other cr@p they bolt onto the newer TDIs.)

I even get better MPG than the newer TDIs. With only 140,000 miles, it still has many years of life left.

(Esta mated 2003 TDI engine life is 300,000 miles based on the same engine used in ocean-going vessels)
  • First off, you need to get the car away from the dealer.. Go to WWW.TDICLUB.com.. and look for a trusted guru near you. Second ,NEVER, NEVER let Jiffy Lube service your car. These engines require specific VW 507.0 spec oil.. Nothing else. Other oils will cause DPF problems. If you can't change your own, again find a local Guru on the TDI website. .Read. Read. Read this website. There is a lot to learn here, but the cars can be fantastic if maintained and driven properly. One thing stressed here is don't baby this engine.. it likes to work and work hard. Make it do it. I have 60,000 miles on mine with absolutely no issues. Good luck.
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    edited February 2013
    Could not agree more. Local guy to me ran a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD 105bhp, (i.e. pre-DPF/Euro III), for 410k miles before handing it over to his wife as the family hack. Still going strong and has had no issues. Timely servicing and correct fluids are the keys to long life. Work 'em hard - they love it. :)
  • aeezkaeezk Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2006 Jetta Tdi. Just yesterday, on a 7 1/2 hour drive home, the Jetta started losing the ability to maintain speed and acceleration on steep inclines. Pretty scary when your going 80 on the expressway with traffic behind you and all of the sudden your dropping speed!! Over the past couple of days it has been having an occasional sputter, which initially felt like the back tires were slipping. We were in a very cold area in Norther Michigan. However, the sputters started happening more frequently, then the acceleration loss started happening. The jetta made it home fine, seems to run a little rough. No engine lights or warning have come on. Any suggestions, does this require yet another costly trip to the dealership?? I have 167,000 miles on the vehicle.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    I would think fuel first off. Are you using Number one diesel in sub zero weather?
  • My experience for my 2006 Jetta TDI. Faithfully used the VW TDI synthetic oil and changed trans fluid at $450 per change also.
    Wife was driving on interstate, experienced loss of power, engine still ran, drove home, could tell power was down........3 of the lifters had holes in top and cam was worn on some lobes at 92,000 miles. Researched and there was an issue with our model '06 Jetta TDI but VW said it ws our problem, not theirs. Was told by many that the cam was a bad design, had narrow lobes?, and did more than just move the lifters?.
    You might want to have shop check out the lifters and cams. We found a shop that did cam and lifters and related for $2800. Waiting for recall, but not expecting any money back from VW.
    I have photos of lifters and worn cam if interested.
    There are many pages of posts regarding the MK5 BRM cam problems and possible solutions. Many creative guys have looked at the design and tried various back engineering tricks to resolve it but there are so many different factors involved it seems there is no 'silver bullet' fix. VW blaming the owners for the problem tho', is just SICK!

The reason the cam lobes are so narrow in the MK5 is because they also have to operate the 4 fuel injectors as well as all the valves. The engine block is short and to make room for the extra 4 lobes they simply made them all narrower. This puts a lot of extra pounds per square inch pressure on the followers and they eventually beat their way through the tops of the cam followers...(but always out of warranty).

The 2006 VW Jetta TDI is an amazing car in many ways, but it is over engineered in places, and built like crap in others. VW knew the top end of the BRM engine was a problem and just dropped that whole design and marched on with the MK6 in the next re-do.
    In fact the whole idea of the diesel engine economy is now a joke. The extra premium for the engine and the sky rocketing price of diesel makes the diesel vehicle ownership either a financial saw off or an outright losing proposition over the more fuel efficient gassers out there now.

Pardon me if I sound like a crank, but I think there is a conspiracy to get all the diesel car engines off the road by constantly increasing the emmissions standards and upping the price of the fuel well over that of gasoline.

(after all they can't force us to buy their Govt subsidised Ethenol in our TDI cars can they?)
    Well, guess what, it WAS the bad alternator pulley that was causing the shuddering problem!

Since it was replaced i have driven the car for over 3,000 highway miles and it has never faltered once, even tho I have tried to make it shudder by easing off on the downhill side of the run and then easing back on the engine as it starts to pull again going up the other side.

Nope, it won't do it anymore, so that is the end of that little story.
  • carp53carp53 Posts: 4
    We had an injector fail on a 2010 TDI with 75,000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue and how much should the part cost ?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    pricey little devil. The "book" says $337 retail for the part and 1.4 hours labor to install, so in my neck of the woods that's a $500 repair bill.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tigrone701tigrone701 Posts: 7
    I have a Jetta '08 which does the same thing as you have explained earlier.
    I went to a dealer and he explained that is how it is going to be as the car is 5 years old (a real jacka..).
    Most probably fan control module 1 and 2 are not communicating well and thus
    this problem.
    If the cooling fan blows out due to this, the expenses are $900 for repair.
    The radiator cooling Fans (big one) on my Jetta '08 suddenly starts speeding too much on the road.
    It makes way too much noise (compared to normal) and the dealer says it is NORMAL to have a sound
    like this.

I guess the control fan module 1 and 2 // sensors are not communicating properly and needs to be
    changed. Maybe the radiator fluid needs to be replaced.

Can someone guide me through this.

I am afraid that sooner or later the fans will burn out and I will have to shell out big bucks changing
    the entire fan unit.
  • I would not touch an '04 TDI with an automatic transmission for any amount of money at this time. I've been dealing with a transmission problem since January 2013. I have an 04 Jetta with 178,000 miles. Dealer wanted $5000 to replace with 1 year warranty or $3500 for a junk yard replacement & no warranty. I chose another transmission shop for $4200 with 2 year warranty. Car is back in the shop for the 3rd time since January with the same problem. Will not up shift out of 1st gear. So far the tranny shop can't figure it out and VW dealer is no help.
  • Thinking of buying used 2010 jetta with 35000 miles. Loved test drive but have heard problems arise after 36000 miles. Any insight?
  • carp53carp53 Posts: 4
    we have a 2010 jetta tdi with 75,000 - only issue was a bad injector which was about $ 450. to replace otherwise we love it
  • rremer1rremer1 Posts: 7
    My 2010 has around 33,000 miles, so can't report on what happens after 36,000, but so far (fingers crossed), all's well and nothing has needed work that is not covered by the warrantee.
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if VW ever solved the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues in the new model, or are still blaming it on owners putting in gas instead of diesel fuel.

My 06' Mk 5 is still running fine (using Shell Rotella T6) and can't really find a good excuse to take a chance and trade it in for a new one.
  • 1-4 WORKS.. NO REVERSE. NO 5TH GEAR.. ITS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO GET THERE BUT IT WONT GO IN? Some say tranny, some say no... Whats your thoughts..? Would really love to know if its an easy fix... PLEASE HELP
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Shift linkage may be damaged.
    edited July 2013
    A news reporter is looking to talk with a Volkswagen owner-enthusiast for an upcoming story. If you think you can help, please send a message with your preferred contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Sunday, August 4, 2013.

edited July 2013
    Sorry to say this. But buyer better know your future !
    These VW Jettas are designed to fail after 40000 miles in a way that
    you will have electronic issues (big ones) as soon as you are out of your warranty.
    They have a lot a electronic issues as well as mechanical issues with this model.
    But they drive well if you are willing to take big hits every once in a while :)