Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• rcarr7rcarr7 Posts: 19
    Yes, both MY's have cruise control as a standard feature.
  • My chart shows that CC is standard for 2010, yes.
  • Thanks for the responses. When I get my Jetta I'll be looking forward to great mpg. Many years ago I had a diesel Rabbit but with no garage I had some hard times getting started on winter mornings. My brother has a Beatle diesel and no starting problems. Thanks again for the info.
  • My TDI will not start. Battery is good, but nothing happens when I turn the key. All the lights come on and the radio works fine. Any suggestions?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    Get out the ol' voltmeter and start troubleshooting.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Look up "Relay 109 TDI" in Google search and research the information. I'm not sure if 2004 TDI is affected by the relay 109 problems, however, it is well worth your time to make sure this is not the problem you are having. Could possibly save you $$$
  • Is this an automatic?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    Mr_Shiftright has a very good point.... an automatic xmission will NOT crank the engine if the gearshift-switch is not in the PARK position. (or switch is broken)

For that matter, a manual xmission will not crank the engine if clutch-switch is not satisfied.(or switch is broken)
  • askfl7askfl7 Posts: 2
    I replaced the latch on the center armrest but was told that there is not spring to hold the latch shut. Makes no sense. Does anyone have any information, a picture or some help for me.
    Thank you
  • It is a manual. I am getting power to the selenoid but the starter is not chattering just a single click. Since I am getting power to the starter I dont think it is an ignition switch or relay. I pulled the starter and will take it to get tested tomorrow.
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    You've said - battery is good. Just because lights come on that may not mean you have enough juice going to the starter. Have you actually tested the battery?
    If the battery is weak that is what happens - it just clicks once and that's it. Try to jump start the car with cables.
    Actually that is EXACTLY what happened when I needed new batteries ! So if it does jump start (with cables) that is the most likely scenario. R/R old oem battery with another new oem battery. (tops 3 mins) . I bought and deployed a battery trickle charger (Battery Tender Plus if you are interested) and it did last a couple months longer. :sick:

The oem provided battery lasted all of app 33 mo ? Coming from SUV's whose oem batteries last 8 to10 years, that does not make me happy. However I am told 4 years is normal (tops) for (ANY) a battery to last.
  • I tried jumping the car, I had the battery tested at an automotive shop. I was getting power the starer so I don't think it is a relay 109 problem. I pulled the starter and had it tested and the "machine" said it passed, but it did not spin at all. I am going to put a new starter in tomorrow and see if that does it.
    That is the real end of "systematic trouble shooting", to eliminate the likely suspects and/or get it down to the most likely. Since the starter did not turn over the motor with the extra help, the next logical step is the starter. (actually two component parts that actually do most of the wear in the starter)
  • redvwredvw Posts: 40
    I had my 09 TDI towed into a V.W. Dealer today for a Major Oil Leak. The details are as follows: I parked my TDI in my driveway this morning after a local drive. No mechanical problems were observed. In the afternoon I went for another drive. I barely got out of my driveway when the cars oil light started blinking, and the MFD said STOP the vehicle-low oil. I pulled back in my driveway and noticed several liters of oil on on the ground under my car.
    I had my vehicle towed to the dealer by a flatbed tow truck. The service manager called me into the shop and showed me that the oil filters housing cap had been screwed loose, and placed on-top of the housing upside down. The cap had a small piece missing just before the threads begin. Since the car had 1 1/2 quarts of oil still in the oil pan the service manager did not feel that any engine damage occurred.
    I explained to the manager that I had been home all day, that my car was locked, alarmed, and parked in my driveway. The manager insisted that someone did this damage to my vehicle. He could not explain how someone was able to get in the vehicle without the key, and without causing any damage or leaving any tool marks, or setting off the car alarm.
    I had my vehicles 10K service done at this dealership 800 miles ago. During that service the wrong oil was used, and the vehicle was severely overfilled with oil. These problems were caught by myself, and corrected before leaving the dealership.
    Is it possible that the dealer caused a third problem during my 10k service, such as not properly tightening the oil filter's cap, or was my vehicle vandalized by a Mission Impossible impersonator? Is it probable that engine damage occurred to the vehicle? If what the dealer said is true this vehicle has a severe security flaw!
    I notified V.W. customer service of this event. I was told that it would be escalated to a field representative. :sick:
  • Yes, this has been a past problem with VWs that I had hoped we had all overcome. It seems there is a race of intergalactic travelers, the Coilonions who have an inveterate fondness for the taste of VW parts- they stop at nothing to get at VWs....

It was thought that the Coilonions had returned home in the mid '00s, but they seem to have reared their ugly heads again. There is, of course, a small chance that the service tech at your VW dealer could have mis-threaded the oil filter cover, but this caper has the stench of the Coilonions written all over it. Tremble in fear. ;)
    Who was the dealer? What City and/or State so that we can all be aware?
  • redvwredvw Posts: 40
    Platinum V.W. Hicksville, NY
    Normally, I always replace OEM battery with Optima battery. Non-liquid battery's technology is far superior to anything else although the price ($ 160.00 on average) is probably the reason why most manufacturers don't put it originally to start with.
    Optima rules!
  • The circumstantial evidence is strong for a dealer screw-up but proving it won't be easy given the amount of time involved since the service. If I were an imaginary judge I'd have to see pictures of this cap and how it works.

The dealer may be right that no engine damage has occurred but I'd carefully document everything that has transpired since the service---just in case.