Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    edited March 2010
    WOW - that's good to know. Adding fog lights in those areas was on my future "wish" list. So much for that idea.... So, all those VWs with fog lights there that I see on the road are not Tdis?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I'm not sure if they still do it for this generation, but the prior had a fog-lamp available that was built into the headlamp. It was a Euro only option from the factory, but pretty easy to install. Just needed the Euro headlamp assemblies and a new switch. They were quite effective in the fog as well.

I assume they don't offer them here because most US buyers don't have a clue when to use fog lamps anyway.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    You nailed it......I see people with em on all the time.....and I'd say around here you MIGHT need to use em ten days a year, not every time you drive at night.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    The stock plastic grills on U.S. are solid, allowing no air flow. The grills included in the Jetta fog light kit, available through dealers and aftermarket suppliers, are true vents that allow air flow through the grills. Check out photos of current European stock Jetta TDI models on the Internet. Most are equipped with fog lights.

The fog lights are mounted on metal brackets behind the plastic grills. The hole for the tow bolt is to the far left of the right grill, while the fog light sits behind the far right of the right grill. It's not a problem.
    Have you installed those yourself? I have a wiring diagram that calls for fog lights wiring hook up in the engine compartment fuse box, some drilling, etc.etc. not to mention a new headlight/foglight combination round switch in the cabin. I am playing with the idea to install those ever since I bought my Tdi Wagon a year ago.
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    As an Audi owner, I was attracted to the A3 TDI. Better and more substantial looking than the VW, I think. But beyond that subject view, I'm simply astounded by the price spread between two models of the same compact platform. The baseline VW TDI is substantially better equipped; cold weather pkg, Bluetooth, roof rails; and the similarly equipped A3 is roughly 25% higher. A lot to pay for a little leather and sound proofing. And if Audi resale follows its usual path, in five years the VW will be probably be worth more than the A3. Am I missing something?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    No, you are not. Actually, the A3 TDI's specifications are more like the Golf TDI's than the Sportwagon's, and the price gap is even greater when compared to the Golf. Audi's are luxurious, though, and you can add some pricey options that are not available on the VW's.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Are you missing something?

Golf TDI with cold weather package, moonroof, adaptive Xenon lights, Dynaudio, Nav or no Nav depending on preference is a better value than the Audi A3 TDI unless you really love the A3 TDI and leather seating.

Golf TDI has better, more sporting seats than the Jetta, firmer suspension than Jetta, and a higher level of options available than Jetta.

Highly recommend driving Jetta Sedan, Jetta Wagon, Golf, and Audi A3 to see which one best suits you.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    I sat in the new 2010 Jetta Sportwagen. It was very comfortable. The only VW seats I liked better are the Golf GTI. My question, if it is a Jetta Sportwagen here and a Golf Estate in the UK. Do they have the same seats as the Golf TDI sold here. They did not have a Golf TDI to check out. They sell before they are unloaded here.

Another plus for the Sportwagen over the A3 is the VW has 10 more inches in length. More room for stuff. And over an inch better ground clearance.

Another question is why Edmund's still show pictures of the 2009 Sportwagen under the 2010 listing? The new one is so much more appealing to me than last years model.
    Seats in the Golf TDI are not the same as the Jetta/Golf Wagon. If you like the GTI seats, you will like the Golf TDI seats better than Jetta TDI seats.

Seats in the Jetta Sedan are same as those in the Jetta Wagon.
    I wasn't really aware of the additional length of the Sportwagen until I opened the A3 rear door. Its a huge reduction in rear space. Its no wonder that so few A3s are sold.
    For me the ultimate would be the Audi A4 Allroad TDI sold in the EU. It uses the same 2.0L engine as the A3 and Sportwagen. The A3 would be a nice little commuter or traveling salesman's vehicle. Just too close to the ground for my taste. Too hard getting out of for me. The A4 wagon is slightly bigger than the Sportwagen.
    I was more curious than interested in the A3. I've had an A6 for 9 years and its been the most expensive car to maintain I've ever owned (incl. 2 MBs). They say "Never keep an Audi past its warranty." but the double-whammy is the horrific beating they take on resale value. Can't afford to keep 'em; can't afford to trade 'em. My Audi lesson is well learned.
    Probably good that Audi does not offer anything I would want then. I am beginning to think keeping any vehicle past warranty is not wise. The cost of repairing the cheapest Toyota or Honda can be a killer.

I would jump on the Sportwagen TDI if it had just a little better ground clearance.
    edited March 2010
    Well, after 1 year of TDI Sportwagen ownership, I got used to it (ground clearance). I have installed those rubber spacers in both rear coils and the car does not bottom out anymore with the hitch installed, when carrying bicycles. Cornering and ride hasn't changed. I read somewhere that the low clearance design is on purpose; the car sits better/lower on US "autobahns" (lower air drag).

It's fun car to drive, plenty of power and torque. Ample space behind rear seats and with Yakima roof box on top, great car for camping. Seats are firm but comfortable on long trips.

6 speed manual is just flawless. Brakes are adequate, ABS works well. Cabin is driver friendly and controls are well designed (after you get used to them, as they slightly differ from Japanese controls).

The only 2 issues I have are:

The moonroof - too much heat built up in Fl climate - but now, with Yakima roof box I carry my own "shade".

Headlights don't turn off automatically, when you remove the ignition key. There is a warning chime but the volume is too low to hear it. I wonder if you can increase the chime volume - have to ask the dealer, net time I am there for a service.

Items replaced: rear wiper blade (not under warranty); rear door lock remote module (replaced under warranty); defective PIAA ultra bright H7 bulb (replaced all 4 OEMs with PIAAs, when I bought the car last February).
    I remember your post and links to the rubber spacers. I would to that for sure if I bought one. I want either the white or white gold color. No moon roof. Still leaning toward the DSG for the wife. They have one in stock right now and are willing to deal. I want to see the White Gold. Not sure if they have sold any of the Sportwagens in that color.
    My TDI is "candy white" ... not sure if VW has the same colors nowadays.

I would stay away from panoramic sunroof - unfortunately, I did not have a choice then... also, my car came with 17" wheels but I asked the dealer to switch them and had 16" installed instead - that was a good move, in my opinion, in a long run.
    White Gold is quite striking. Not what I expected from the name, thought it was silver until a comparison with Reflex Silver car could be made side to side.

If I were buying today White Gold would be my top choice.
    Good news for TDI owners. PepBoys now sells VW approved oil (502 00 through 507 00). It's their Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic - 5W 30 ESP Formula - in 1 liter plastic bottles (oil is made in/imported from Belgium). You can buy 5 bottles @ $ 6.00 each (special discounted pricing).