Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• OK, I did some checking and found conflicting information. Saw a couple sources that said about 70 inches and a couple that had it in the 78-inch range. 78 does seem like it would be too wide though.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    Some sources measure the width including mirrors which might account for the discrepancy. However, with mirrors extended I would think that it would be even wider but I think that may be the reason. They might include the width with the mirrors folded versus no mirrors.

There could just not be an 8" difference between two similar cars like this. I don't think there would even be an 8" difference between a Taurus and a Jetta.
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    edited March 2010
    All cars have electrical problems here and there - some more, some less. Consumers Report keeps pretty accurate statistics for each model year.
  • Thanks Very much...funny you say that I started the file last night on the car. Hopefully this is it and it all straightens out
  • dp2226dp2226 Posts: 28
    I have a 2002 Jetta GL 4 cyl 2.0.

Every few days my coolant light comes on. I refilled it correctly, and again disappears somewhere.

There are usually a few drops near the bottom pulley. There should be way more coolant either on the ground or somewhere collecting.

No white smoke, oil is not milky. Year or two ago, water pump and thermostat were replaced along with a/c clutch.

I have spend a few hours after running the car, inspecting for leaks. Even under the car a few minutes after taking a long drive (being very careful of course).

Also wiped down the different hoses to be sure dirt was not obstructing my view. Then went back a few days later with a white paper towel looking for coolant.

Have read internal leaks can be common but did not find any solutions.

Thinking the heater control valve may be an issue? That is something I did not check for a vacuum leak or a clog? Guessing at this point.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    there's a known issue with the coolant reservoir on some VWs - and/or with the tube/c-clamp/plastic-nozzle that connects: coolant can leak out through a small crack - and leaks into the conduits containing electrical-system wires. it's very expensive repair when this happens. I've seen photos of what to look for on tdclub.com and recommend you consider to investigate that...
    I know. I just couldn't resist after you made the comment that newer VWs don't have electrical problems. Not as many as before is probably what you meant.
    Exactly ... pardon my English!
    My wife's Passat few years back had so many of them (electrical problems, that is) that we decided to get rid of the car - then she got a Saab 9-3 convertible and had different kinds of problems, mostly with A/C (but she looked good in it, with rag top down) ...now she is driving Honda Civic EX-L happily ever after....no problems whatsoever. That is an evolution of some sort...
    edited March 2010
    Sometimes the coolant evaporates if there is a small crack somewhere and you cannot find where - one of the areas could also be heater exchange unit - do you smell a coolant inside the car when you put the heater on?

There are some additives out there on the market that you can put in a coolant and it seals the leaks by itself - I have done it before although on much older cars....

If there is a small leak in radiator, for example, you will not see anything dripping because radiator being hot would cause the liquid to evaporate before it drips. In either case, you could "smell" the coolant but you could not see it dripping....
  • I wish I could be more specific but I have to rely on what the warranty service summary and the shop manager said, which is almost word for word what I wrote.

What I think is important is that if there are recurring problems of the same kind, the dealer maintenance supervisor should be encouraged to call VW to open a "case." VW knows things that have been reported that VW dealer does not -- there was apparently no service bulletin on this maddeningly stubborn problem but VW put their fingers on it right away from past experience, and recommend a repair rather than an outright harness replacement. That's too bad, because they already have replaced the wiring harness at the dealer. Ouch. I'll bet that was expensive. My only desire is that it be fixed and not recur.
    edited March 2010
    Well, since I have 09 VW as well, it would be nice to know.

You can always ask the service technicians or service manager to point the area in your engine compartment and/or ask them to show you, what they have replaced. Replaced items, if under warranty, normally go back to VW technical center for their evaluation. But, once out of warranty, the replaced items must be saved and given to the owner, if you ask for it. I think there is a law to that effect.

But anyway, I just thought it would be nice to know and inspect that area....

Thanks anyway...
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Last time I checked wal mart had 5 qt Mobil1 for $20-22. Price fluctuates.
    edited March 2010
    Walmart does NOT have Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 that could be used in 09 TDI... that one is only available at PepBoys in 1 liter plastic bottles (at least here in NW Florida) ...you can get 5 bottles for $ 6 each, if you ask the store manager....all Mobil 1s that Walmart has are NOT VW 507 00 approved....be aware!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited April 2010
    I agree... one quick way to tell is that the European oil is most often available in LITERE containers... not QUART containers. By no means am I suggesting you do not read the label too. If it does not say that is meets the magic VW numbers - then put it back on the shelf. We all know what using the wrong oil can do to TDI engine. (self-destructing camshaft)
  • shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    Back in November/December my check engine light came on and the dealership diagnosed it as a bad exhaust flap. Since I was at 45K miles, they said it would not be covered under warranty. I had my car taken in last week to have this part replaced, it ended up costing around $500. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the '09? Initially they said the part was on back order, and had no idea when it would be available. Is it common for this part to go bad?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    shriftster, each warranty goes beyond 45k except for things like brake pads which are warranteed until 12k, so it seems inconsistent that 45k on the ticker would cause it to be out of warranty.
  • shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    I thought it should be under warranty as well. When I get home next month I'll check into it further.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    If it is required for emissions, I would think the warranty would be longer by law. That is disconcerting. I may just keep driving my 21 year old Lexus, as long as it runs good. I can buy a lot of gas for $500. Don't think I spent that much on gas for the car last year.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    They do have VW approved M1, however, my mistake, I watch this forum as a future diesel owner (we use different grades of oil) and current gas turbo owner.
    Most emission systems have to be warranteed for like 5, 7 or 10 years depending on state. I think the federal minimum is 5 years but I'm no expert....just going by what I've heard/read. Definitely worth checking out warranty wise.