Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• Went to a dealer yesterday, and the guy checked the coming 05 for me on his internal web. About 20 wagon TDI is on transportation to BC. Very nice! I will order one at Sep. or Oct.

The bad news is nothing changed on new model. Hope they fix some bugs.
  • Tough Decision: I've narrowed it down to 2 cars, and have researched until my eyes bleed. I'm just looking for any advice on both cars or which one is the better overall purchase. I'm a little leary of Mazda's performance over time (a diesel Jetta would probably last me atleast 200,000 miles), but I've also heard some bad things about the Jetta's performance. Any advice from professionals and owners of these 2 cars would be helpful. THANK YOU!
  • caseyr1caseyr1 Posts: 11
    Need a little help here?

Does anyone know of a good TDI mechanic in the Salt Lake City UT. area if so please let me know.

I have an 01 with about 46,000K and my check engine light just came on. My turbo seems to be working fine and I haven't noticed any loss of power or mileage, however I have only been averaging about 36 mpg since I bought it earlier this year. (it is an auto).

I know it is hard to diagnose a problem with this kind of information however any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,056
    The dealer below has 2004 VW TDI vehicles with over 7500 miles legal in California. They have a Jetta Wagon GLS fully loaded, & others. I wish I needed one right now.

Wild Rose Motors Limited
    1890 West Commonwealth Avenue
    Fullerton, CA 92833
  • I was wandering if it is ok to use the mobil with the vw 505.00 that is all i can find and the dealer just wants to charge an arm and a leg.
  • Can anybody tell me what oil they are using for their 2004 tdi? i can only find 505 00 and it is recommended 505 01? what is working?
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,979
    Let me tell you first, the party line: VW 505.01. What this means in English is there are three so called commonly available oil in the USA retail distribution chain, which meets this standard. GC or "German" Castrol (which is available at the dealers, at or above retail prices) Motul, and ELF. If you have your 2004 TDI owners manual handy, you can read the actual verbiage, but in words to this effect, it says that if you do not use oils which comply to VW 505.01 you are in imminent danger of catastrophic engine damage, which of course will not be covered by warranty.
  • pruzinkpruzink Posts: 112
    There are only 2 oils sold in the US that meet VW's 505.1 standard (505.1) for the 2004 TDI PD. You REALLY don't want to use anything but those as you WILL void your warranty. You really should keep proof that you use the correct oil. I just bought a case of the oil (VW part # G-052-167-A2) from my local VW dealer, it was $6.50 per quart per case of 12. I also saw it sold online for $5.70 (plus S/H). Motul also sells an oild that meets this spec. I bought a case of Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 because I had read it was a highly recomended oil for this engine (unfortunately, not the 2004 PD version). There are tons of posts regarding this on Fred's TDI forum, after reading them, I decided that I will only use VW's sanctioned oil (it appears that it could lead to serious problems if you do not).
  • I went and drove a 2005 Jetta TDI 5-speed manual with leather and it seemed very nice. It was a lot faster and powerful than I thought it was going to be. Are there any changes added for 2005 over 2004. What are the main considerations of getting a diesel?

Thanks,

MidCow
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Q:What are the main considerations of getting a diesel?

PLUSses:
    MPG is far better than any other available vehicle on the market today. (Even the "hybreds" cannot get 52 MPG on the highway.)

Less maintenance (No ignition system to fail)

LOONNNGG LIFE! (Life expectancy of the TDI is around 500,000 miles)

TORQUE! http://michalborz.myr32.com/michal.swf

MINUSes:
    In cold weather, the TDI will start as well or better than any gasser. But... the fuel MUST be treated for "gelling" and the engine takes about 15 minutes to warm up and blow heat out the vents. GET HEATED SEATS!!

The VW TDI requires specific lubrication requirements. Some folks feel this is a negative thing.

Most dealership service is AWEFUL. There many stories of apparently incompetent service departments. Take the time to locate a service department that you can deal with.
  • The dealer (salesman) is trying to tell me it is 5,000 miles but i understand it is really 10,000 after an itial 5,000 mile change.

What kind of special lubrication requirments does the TDI have?

I asked a local auto maintenance mechanic about VW and he said they have very soft brakes and rotors. Have to replace pads and rotors every 20,000 miles. Was he just blowing smoke?

Drove another one yesterday. I like it. I just wish I knew what the reliability would really be like?

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- Is the 52 mpg obtainable on the new 100hp TDIs?
    The PD has the VW 505.01 oil spec requirement. Be that as it may, the change interval is still 10,000 miles (after the ones at 5/10k. If you have the 2003 TDI and can run a top quality oil like Amsoil, Delvac One, Mobil One Truck & SUV, Redline etc 15,000 miles oil and filter change intervals have been shown by oil analysis to be VERY conservative. My front TDI brakes at 40k look to easily go to 80-120k. Rear brakes as you have probably read, seem to go earlier and I am projecting 80k. With 40k on the clock in 19 mo, I have only changed the oil and filter, 4 times, fuel filter and rotated the tires 4 times, plus the required interval inspections. Any and all the fluids have NEVER needed to be topped. OEM "GOOD"years are on track for 80-95k.

Answer to PS. I would say yes very do able! However, I think you'd have to "soft foot" it a bit. In addition there are ways and more fuel efficient ways to drive a TDI AND also to accomplish longevity goals.

I can easily get 51 mpg if I keep in 85 mph and under. However for me, that is easier said than done; so I am content with 44-48 mpg normally. My wife in commute, (25/50 RT commute) routinely gets 48-51 and this is also during some rush hour traffic jams.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I replaced my rear pads at 75k miles. Fronts look like they're barely half worn. Currently at 93k miles. Very minimal problems, I actually expected more than I've had. I usually chang the oil between 10k-12k miles, running Delvac 1 synthetic. Oil analysis shows these are more than adequate invtervals. There is a ton of DIY info on the net for maintaining and operating these TDI's. So far, mine has been cheaper to maintain than any other vehicle i've owned, including Toyotas.
    So in effect you are getting two different snap shots at 40/93k.

Not too long ago at 93k you were looking to bale out and fast of ANY car with 100k!!!

I am actually looking forward to the first 250,000 miles on this VW Jetta TDI.
  • Ruking1,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I haven't had a diesel or VW before.

Thanks,

MidCow
    THat "soft brakes" syndrome was only for some 1999-2001 models and was mainly on the rear end.
    VW actually covered the replacment cost for many of them.

Many modern vehicles have weak rotors. Given the new mandates for pedal-pressure anot other specifications, some rotors just cant take the pounding from the more abrasive pads.

In response to all of this "churn" in brake design and component expectations, Many manufacturers are migrating from "carbon-steel" towards "ceramic-copper" blends in the pad material.

Personally, I have been installing the ceramic-based pads on my vehicles. Not only are they quietier (less squeel/grinding noises) They also produce MUCH less dust. This keeps my alloy wheels cleaner. The ceramic-based pads are also said to be nicer to the rotors.
  • "Is the 52 mpg obtainable on the new 100hp TDIs? "

The answer to this is yes, 52MPG is the highest I have acheived and that was 100% hwy at 80mph, matched it again week before last driving from New Orleans to Chicago.

I average 45mpg in mixed driving 80city/20hwy.

I don't drive to conserve fuel, but I also don't tach out everytime I run through the gears either.
  • Hey guys. I'm new to the whole TDI forum thing. What I wanted to know is what people mean by "And may-be in 2005 a lot of the bugs will be fixed". I suppose I'm confusing durability and reliability of these diesel cars [for which I believe they are famous] with the more cosmetic things like handles and knobs snapping and breaking. Anyone care to enlighten me. I always thought VW Diesels were built like tanks. Yet some say that ever since they started making these things in Mexico the quality has gone down. So one of the questions I have is; are all Jettas made in Mexico or do the TDI for some reason come from Germany? Or are the more critical mechanical components [i.e. engine, transmission and suspension] still made in Germany and then simply shipped to Mexico for final assembly? In conclusion, I need a good durable car that can last me 300,000 Km. I'd also like some decent gas mileage. Finally, I live in Canada where the weather can be cold. Are the 2004 TDIs really that touchy with respect to cold weather? I thankfully live near a truck stop [apparently this is good since the diesel there is "better"].

Regards
    The diesel engines themselves are still made in Germany. I think the only bodystyle still actually made in Germany is the jetta wagon. All the rest are made in Mexico. They're all made with the same parts though.

I think the biggest issue with these cars are the little things. VW's have always had little problems, although a 2005 should have a lot of the things worked out. When I say that, I mean a lot of the parts that were problematic early in the life of these cars (this bodystyle started in '99) have been improved. For example, the early power window clips were nylon which would break. The new ones are metal. Also, I had to replaced the power mirror knob on my '00 because it broke. The replacement is a better design.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the mileage you're expecting. I'm about to turn 100k miles on mine and have only had a few small problems. Most of which was covered under warranty. The only part I've bought as a repair was a $30 power mirror switch.
  • Great stuff. Right now my daily driver is a 1995 Ford Taurus SHO. Believe it or not, the thing still can outpace most cars on the road. Of course, the engine and tranny are not Ford but Yamaha. Thing is, the SHO drinks gas pretty heavily. I do 325 clicks on 55 liters. I can hear the TDI people laughing at me as their cars could probably do close to triple the mileage on 55 liters of diesel.

Thanks man. Good post. I'm gonna think it through. Still haven't test driven one. I'm used to fast cars so I'm hoping I'm not overly disappointed. Frankly, as long as the car can do 130 clicks per hour I'm happy. 0-to-60 who cares? My fast and the furious days are behind me.
    Well, with some mods you can cut the 0-60 down to reasonable numbers, mid 8 seconds or so. Certainly not fast, but good enough to keep up with traffic. But once rolling, these cars feel very strong, particularly with some simple mods. Mine feels stronger than many V6's out on the highway, particularly because it doesn't need a downshift for very good highway acceleration. Here's a pic to show what available....that's in MPH not KPH! image
  • That's pretty responsible. I mean I'll give you credit for doing this on an empty road but take it easy on the speed. If you did that in Canada your car would be on the back of a Police tow-truck so fast it would make your head spin. Despite all that, I must say that the ride looks very smooth indeed even at the excessively high rate of speed you are doing. That cup of java doesn't appear to be shaking too much given that you were clocking nerely 210 clicks per hour.

Regards
  • One question I actually did have was whether diesels like the TDI have the oil change intervals spread further apart than gasoline engines? I've seen service recommendations for 10,000 miles between oil changes for the TDI Diesels. I mean that's 16,000 clicks in Canadian. If someone told me to run my SHO 16,000 clicks between oil changes I'd be really suspect. Therefore, a) am I correct about the longer intervals between oil changes and b) is it because diesel is really an oil moreso than a gas?

Regards
    A) Yes, you are correct
    B) No, It is because todays lubricants are FARRR better than even 10 years ago. The TDI requires special SYNTHETIC oil which has a high TBN (total base number) which reflects an oils' ability to handle acid build-up.

A number of vehicle manufacturers now specify 10K mile change intervals. Besides... when is the last time you heard of an engine WEARING out?

Anyone that changes oil at 3K miles is wasting $$ the envrionment and oil... only the folks that get paid to change the oil are benifeting.
  • Great thanks man. Another wonderful post. I guess it's true: today's polished or coated engine walls and cylinder heads are themselves better able to handle low friction applications while the oils themselves are also better. For example, one time I put Mobil 1 [the super expensive fully synthetic stuff in my SHO]. I swear I must of got an extra ten horsepower just by changing the oil. Thing revved much more freely. In closing, its the vehile manufacturer who signs the warrantee on the car so they know when you SHOULD change oil and other fluids. The oil companies [obviously] just want you to keeping on buying oil. Heck, they would love it if you changed your oil bi-weekly.

Cheers
  • So the other day I started reading up about the Buick Regal LS and GS. Don't ask why. I just did. Well apparently they are GM's best kept secret: fast, comfortable, well made [magine that...a well made GM product...ha...but anyway apparently they last long] and low on insurance. But. And it's a big butt: are they EVER boring to look at. Perhaps this explains the insurance premiums: no thief would ever risk being locked up over jacking a Regal right? So my question is that for the price, which car do you get: a 2002 or 2003 Regal or a Jetta. The two cars represent completely different products but I'd still like some dialog about these two. Gotta say, never was a GM fan, but to be honest, I've yet to see a Buick at the side of the road with the four ways on.

Regards
    I have a friend that sold Buick's for years. He switched to Toyota for a year and went back to the Buick dealership. He told me he had the same customers come into get a new Buick with no hassles. Toyota was a constant hassle with customers. The only downside he has had in the last few years is the service dept. They have a hard time keeping mechanics. There is just not enough work for one person in that dealership. And it is one of the biggest in San Diego. They are good cars if you can get past the looks. Some years looked better than others.

PS
    I would buy the Jetta TDI for the mileage and space in the wagon...
  • I hear what you're saying. That 2004 TDI Jetta puts up some impressive fuel consumption figures even if you discount them by 15% as purely advertizing smoke and mirrors. On the other hand, it must be nice having a good quality car, that's fast, is cheap to insurance, handles [relatively well for a boat] and will ALWAYS ALWAYS be there winking at YOU because NO thief will EVER wink at it. My sister has a 2001 Integra. Three times it's been hit. Never hear Buick people saying "Oh god, my car got stolen...again".

I mean I've seen those Supercharged Regals just eat minivans, jettas, civics..even v6 Accords for lunch.

Regard
    The sixth annual ranking of certified pre-owned vehicle programs conducted by IntelliChoice reveals manufacturers are responding to consumers' desire for quality pre-owned cars. Overall, Jaguar was judged the best Luxury program and Volkswagen the best Non-Luxury program. Programs are rated according to the inspection lists, warranties, title verification, availability of special financing roadside assistance benefits, and return/exchange policies to determine those that offer the most benefits to the consumer.

In addition to Jaguar and Volkswagen, other notable performances include Cadillac breaking into the top five for the first time ever, coming in second for best overall program in the Luxury class. In Non-Luxury, Mazda moved up to nearly tie Honda for second place.

http://www.intellichoice.com/preowned/pre-main
    Later in 2005, Volkswagen will offer its DSG automanual transmission (available on TDI models only). Also available will be an electro-mechanical steering system, a new electronic stability program (ESP), and new-generation ABS all-disc brakes.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101305