Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    When we replaced the windshield in my wife's LS400 recently, they just asked for the VIN. However when they got to the house, the guy spotted right off that the color of the tinting was not correct. So they had to order the right tint, and make a second trip. He said with the color of the car and upholstery it would have looked awful. I think the tint is color coordinated in many cars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,418
    Sometime there are mid-year production changes, too, as suppliers drop out or whatever.

• shriftyshrifty Posts: 255
    Interesting, I never would have guessed that. Would it really matter if I didn't have the "correct" windshield? My theory is if it fits, put it in. Doesn't have to be pretty, just keep the elements and rocks out.

I did notice some type of black shading of some sort above the rear-view mirror, not sure what that is for...
    That's the antenna probably.

Possible. I do have an antenna on top of the car, is it possible one is for the SAT radio, the other is for AM/FM?
    OHHHH I know what you mean----that dot matrix---that's for shading I believe, if it's near the rear view mirror. If it's along the edge of the windshield, that has something to do with bonding the windshield, I *think*. Maybe others have the entire story straight...I obviously don't. :P

Yeah, that thing. Either way, I'd just like to have a windshield on my car that isn't broken. The insurance company said it would be $100 to either repair or replace the windshield, so I'm going with a new one instead :D
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    When I have glass replaced on my vehicles I have bodyshop do the work as opposed to the glass only shop. In my experience the bodyshop does much better work sealing the glass and installing associated trim pieces.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    I have had three windshields replaced in the last twelve years and all have been done by window only type companies. They do them day in, day out and warranty them. Never had a leak, wind noise or any problem with trim pieces not reinstalled properly and cleanly. I think they were at least two different companies which did the work. I wouldn't be leary of them.....it's not brain surgery.
    True but I've seen a few screw-ups by these mobile operations. On rare occasion, even hideous butchery. I always choose a good local shop that's been around for a while and works for local dealers. As you say, they know the routine and have it down, and in a well-equipped shop they are ready to deal with whatever comes up.

Unfortunately I don't have too much time to shop around back home, I'm out on the road all week this week, and leaving the country next week for the rest of the year and I'd like to have it done before I go. I just picked a place based on the dealership's recommendation, and hoping for the best!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    It's possible I've been lucky or my cars/trucks were pretty easy to replace the windshields on. That's what I have insurance for. If they screw it up, they fix it.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    I pass several autobody shops on my way to work. Can't tell you the number of times I've seen mobile glass truck guys doing the install of a new windshield at all of them. Not saying all bodyshops farm out that work, but at least some do.
    edited September 2010
    I think it depends a lot on the individual competency of the mobile installer, as well as the type of car he is working on. Some guys get in over their heads.

Had the window shop replace the windshield yesterday, everything looks just fine, although the rear view mirror might be slightly lower by a fraction of an inch (no big deal). I'm glad he was able to keep my base sticker intact.
  • f1docf1doc Posts: 3
    I have encountered the same complete loss of throttle response in my daughter's 2010 SW TDI w/DSG. It is NOT due to left foot braking, as the dealer claims. This is dangerous. Any ideas?
    You mean she feels a momentary "dead pedal"?

Yeah, that has plagued any number of cars with electronic throttles. I've seen various aftermarket fixes, but not yet for a VW TDI. Apparently you can wire in a different sensor to the gas pedal, which must vary the signal to the throttle controls.

• f1docf1doc Posts: 3
    This occurs hot or cold, often on a slight incline, from dead stop. I have encountered it. Various forums and C&D review have blamed turbo lag, throttle by wire, software glitches involving the DSG and prevention of "over-reving" and brake switch preventing throttle up. This is a scary phenomenon! Just enough power is produced to get the car into the middle of the intersection, then idle engine rev only for 2-3 seconds, unaffected by throttle pumping. The dealer is clueless, though he also doesn't admit to knowledge of existing TSB's on this issue. I love the car otherwise but will sell it (back to VW!) if this is not repaired.
    edited October 2010
    That certainly doesn't sound like turbo lag. I couldn't find a TSB on this, only older ones. That doesn't mean there isn't one. Maybe someone can track it down?

Oh, wait, here's something.

NHTSA has just opened an investigation (August):

NHTSA Action Number:
    PE10034

Summary:
    The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received 7 complaints on 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI vehicles alleging that while driving and without warning the engine limped and then stalled almost immediately. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety consequences associated with the alleged defect.

No doubt this will grind very very slowly but ultimately might result in a recall.

Glad to hear the NHTSA is looking into this. Not sure if it is really a problem or not, but is quite annoying when it happens. It happened when I first got the car, just assumed it was "normal".