Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Agreed mine is an '08 sedan, like I said very similiar.
  • I believe there was a rash of complaints related to failure of the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). All resolved, as I understand it. I took delivery of my 2013 JSW TDI with manual transmission, Nav and Sunroof this past Thursday. Love it so far, including a run of 100 freeway miles yesterday where the computer said I averaged 56.3 mpg....with less than 250 miles on the odo!
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    Anybody can post big numbers that they saw on their trip computer, and while I might be inclined to take them with a grain of salt, that's a waste of salt. Only numbers I can put any stock in as "real-world" MPG are distance traveled/gallons to refill.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    I don't put much stock in the computer mileage either. I have kept a spreadsheet on every vehicle I have owned since the late 1990s. Then you can see tank mileage and yearly mileage etc. About as accurate as you can get.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,475
    If this is not against the rules, here is a link to a thread on break in for TDI's.

break in
  • oli1oli1 Posts: 33
    I have had my Audi TDI for two years and I travel 52 miles a day for work, and I average 44, and once in a great while, I will reach 46.
    OBTW, where do find the best prices for filters, oil, fuel, and cabin?
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,475
    edited May 2009
    You might look in the vendor section of the "break in" link. There are literally a lot of on line vendors. I can list ones I have had good luck and prices with, but it might be against web site rules. Another might be to go to your VW/AUDI etc dealer and ask for preferred customer rates for parts. There are also dealers that do online business that offer substantial discounts than they probably would at their own parts counter.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    My VW dealer charged less for service with the required TDI Synthetic, than my Toyota dealer with cheapo dino oil.
  • I have kept a log of my fuel use for a total of 74K miles on my '09 TDI sedan and the computer is actually not so far off the actuals I calculate. My computer shows about 43 mpg over the last 4000 miles. I've seen numbers as high as 56 mpg on a trip to work (22 miles one way). I average about 45.5 (distance driven/gallons used) on the highway at about 70 with the AC on. The computer showed about the same.
  • I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on my tire decision. We do have ice and snow here in the Detroit area. It also rains a bit here, especially in the Spring and Fall. I ultimately ended up with a set of Michelin Defender XTs. Discount Tire made me a good quote so I decided to replace all 4 tires before Winter set in. Again, thank you for your time and input on my purchasing decision. :)
  • I agree. Driving MPG varies by the individual, type of driving, habits, etc. My father has a TDI sportwagen. He gets 42+ routinely. I took it on a road trip out west and with my driving habits, only got up to 39.5. However, with my 01 TDI, I routinely get between 45-50 mpg (90% highway). Needless to say, I am sold on the TDI and could not imagine buying a gasoline model ever again.
  • I agree. I always fill up to the neck. My record mileage, obtained last summer, was 823 miles and running on fumes in the end.
  • ggeeooggeeoo Posts: 94
    You want another 11 mpg , buy a. Set of nokian entyres. Next time u need tires .

:)
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    I *already* run Nokian enTires on my TDI and always add cetane-enhancer at every fillup.... perhaps that is why 50+MPG is the norm for me.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    Get serious. 11 MPG? I gained about 5% MPG with the Ecopias. See a comparison at this link.

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/a/Low-Rolling-Resistance-Showdown-Ecopia-- Vs-Entyre.htm
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,828
    edited October 2012
    thanks for the reality-mpg-check data on that one, cosmo! tires are good for a couple or three TDI mpg , such as switching from summer to winter tires.

one factor in low-rolling-resistance tires is that the possibility that they also provide lower-friction-coefficients while braking - increasing braking distance in emergency stop. there's no fooling mother nature.

Another way to boost mpg more than 11mpg, try drafting a cooperative bigrig, feet off the bumper- you'll really feel the mpg savings and how it pulls your car (or motorcycle). Just as a test, I'm saying. :shades:
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    My 06 TDI really has a sensitive engine. On some brands of diesel the car will go into convulsions between 2000 and 2300 rpms when on cruise control.

It happens when the car is going down a slope and the engine is not using fuel but then when the grade goes back up and motor now needs fuel, it does a violent shake rattle and roll for a second or 2 then it's OK until the next same combination of CC, and road conditions.

The only thing I have found that prevents all this drama is changing the fuel brand. I drive about 500 miles a day for 3 days in a row, so each tank is run down to less than 1/4 and then I start looking for a fill up again and hoping for a no-shudder run.

I have tried truck stop fill ups and all the major brands...(Shell was the last one that the TDI had big problems with) Then I will have great luck with some no-name brand from some divey place in the middle of nowhere.
    (I have always had great performance from Chevron GAS in my Honda Odyssey, but the Chevron diesel is another story...poor power, bad mpgs and lots of shudders.)

So far I have not met anyone behind the counters selling diesel who has ever even heard of Cetane ratings..(I do ask) much less what their pumps might have.

Seems some forum posters are having these issues with the new models of VW TDI's but so far nobody with a 06 except me, has mentioned it. One uninterested VW service writer said "it probably needs to come into the shop and have the cam shaft and valve followers changed" A story he probably uses to make his service dept another $2000.00 that day.

Not saying the car at 110,000 miles doesn't need the top end looked at, but it will run fine on certain diesel and run like crap after the next fill up from a different location. Covering 2000 miles in 3 days puts me at 4 different stations in 3 different States.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    We have a "06 and a "11, and had a "04, and have not experienced this problem. I always add Opti-Lube at each fill-up to increase the lubricity of the fuel. It is also claimed to increase the cetane rating and clean the injectors. I also try to always run the tank down until the warning light comes on before refilling. On long trips that is not always possible, but that way I know I always have a tank of mostly fresh fuel.

http://opti-lube.com/index.php/xpd-diesel-fuel-improver-product.html

You also may want to check your fuel filter.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/fuel-filter-VW-Jetta-TDI-2005-2006.htm
  • WOW. I have a diesel truck and this is quite a story. I really have no idea but I wouldn't think of the fuel filter as the problem. You need to change every 15K or so. It's been a long time since I saw a vehicle that w as picky about fuel.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    edited November 2012
    You're right, it's not the fuel filter, changed it out last year, shuddering still a mystery.

While on a brief trip the other day, I noticed the "battery" warning light had popped on. Thought it might be the serp' belt or alternator so stopped and had a look under the hood.

Somehow the pulley had completely come off the alternator but the belt was still running on the bare shaft! I guess the belt wasn't getting enough grip to spin the alt' enough and the warning light came on.

Local VW dealership had to order a new pulley and it will be here in a week.
    The Jetta TDI alt' pulley not a solid pulley, but a clutch design, a rather complicated item..designed to grab and pull under load one way, but will free wheel the other way....

(Also a very pricy item that requires a special set of tools to take off and install...unless it flies off all on it's own like mine did!)

This guy goes through it much better and says..."it's a wear item that should be changed with each serp' belt R&R"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFcPqZuO3A