Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hi Steve from Minnesota. any snow there yet? still none here in new england.
    I agree with your points re wind chill.
    Re your curiosity, I would say no that is not really the major reason although it might be a tiny factor. I think the reason is that diesels produce less waste heat per unit hp than does an equivalent gasser. or something like that.
  • scalvitscalvit Member Posts: 5
    Here in Minnesota, diesel fuel costs about 35 cents more than regular gas. I thought that diesel required less refinement than gas so it should cost less, right? Does anyone know the answer to this question?
    I have to return my leased TDI in June 08. If I decide to buy the car, VW will sell it to me for about $12K. I was surprised to learn that 04 TDI Jetta wagons sell for about 19k. They seem to keep their value longer than regular Jettas. I may find in 08 that my car has a market value much higher than what it will cost to buy it. Anyone have any thoughts about TDIs keeping their value higher and longer?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I think the 7k to the plus side says it all. :) You will probably have your choice of buyers and they will probably bid the price up from 19k.
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    Diesel and home heating oil are the same product. You are competing for the same product with homeowners. Summer prices lower for same reason.
    FWTW - on one of their shows they ran a Mercedes diesel on used cooking oil. All they did was strain it. I've heard of making biodiesel out of cooking oil but this is the first time I've seen/heard anyone running it straight. And no, the engine was not modified in any way.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    TDI resale value is top-notch, although actual demand does seem to swing based on variables. I haven't checked the market recently, but I know when gas went bonkers last year I had several folks wanting to buy mine for prime $$. I was very tempted but my daughter started driving it to school so now we have her Celica GTS which nobody wants... :P
    Whenever I start the TDI cold, I get a diesel smell inside the car. One would think that any smell would go out the exhaust and not get into the cabin. Anybody else have this problem? What's the explanation?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It's likely blowing back through the rear vents of the vehicle. Standard #2 crud diesel will smoke/smell on initial cold start and particularly can enter the cabin if wind is blowing the correct way.
    Here's another thing that's been happening since I brought my TDI Jetta into the dealer for the last recall (repairing the cooler?). When I accelerate, I hear this high pitched metallic noise for about a second or two. I'm assuming that this is coming from the turbo. Is this anything I should be worried about?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Your understanding of the definition of "windchill" is inaccurate. It DOES NOT have to do with cooling faster.

You are attempting to apply a law of physics which describes how FAST somting will lose its heat. This is NOT the same as the term "wihdchill" wich attempts to describe how cold a human "feels" under given conditions.

Windchill is ONLY a factor to warm-blooded Humans. It is a term which was made up by the weather-reporting community to help describe how cold it "feels" by calculating in temparture, humidity,evaperation and wind against the skin of a human. This windchill calculation often comes out to be COLDER than the actual outside temparture.

An inatamate object such as an automobile simply cannot have the term "windchill" applied to it. A car cannot "feel" colder than the actual temparture. It does not matter how much the wind blows, a thermomator will show that the temparture is unaffected.

=========

Also, The reason your TDI runs colder is because it is MORE EFFICENT. It generates less waste energy as heat. Very little to do with RPMs.

Infact, lower RPMS (higher loading) would heat TDI engine faster than higher RPMS (light loading). However, it is not benifetial to your engine to load it too heavily when it is cold. (undue wear on the bearings and cylinders)

If an automobile engine was 100% efficent.... it would convert all the energy in the fuel into forward motion. There would be ZERO heat generated so there would be no need for a radiator. (And would get over 100 MPG)
    Sure it is possible to run TDI in ANY oil. (Roudolph Diesel invented the engine to run on veggie oil!!!)

Basically, there are 2 options to running Veggie oil.
    1)Modify the vehicle to deal with raw veggie oil
    2)Convert the veggie oil into biodiesel so it can be put into the fueltank.

If you search the internet... there a many websites that can help with either of the above options.
    1)You can purchase kits to convert your TDI to replace the spare tire with a second fueltank that contains veggieoil.
    2)You can purchase a kit which contains all the materials you need to produce biodiesel in your garage.
  • kingtaglikingtagli Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar issue with my 2004 Jetta TDI. I smelled diesel fuel in the cabin when i had to stop at a traffic light, stop sign, etc.
    My diesel fuel pump was leaking. I had it replaced and it was ok. It was a very small leak, it dropped my milage only from 45mpg to 42mpg. You dont really realize these leaks by looking only at car milage.
    i know you are right about the windchill deal bpeebs.
    it's a human feeling thang.
    but isn't it a fact that a car engine will consume more fuel per unit time to maintain engine & cabin temperature while parked and idling at zero F in a 75 mph wind than it will with no wind?
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    "The only effect windchill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the windchill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit."

The above statement is from the National Weather Service's site describing wind chill. Think about it: If wind chill has no effect on radiators or engines, there is no reason for cooling fans in automobiles.
    I checked the info on the back of the 0-40W quart, says it complies with VW specs 502/503/505. Available at Wal-Mart.
    The 0W40 may meet the VW 505.00 specs..... Too bad the TDI calls for 5W40 oil. :blush:

All is not lost though. I understand that Wallmart should have "Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40" on the shelves by end of Feburary. This oil is essentually re-packaged Mobil DELVAC1 which has been proven to be very good for the NON pumpe-duse engines.
    If Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck and Suv 5w40 were not available, my number one choice in other Mobil One products would be the Mobil One 0w40. for the 2003 Jetta TDI.

ELF has an almost complicated and complex product offering for the vast array of European models in this country. Prices as you would expect are at premium to the Mobil products.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Seen today on the previous generation Jetta TDI:

51 MPG

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

i like this one: GOT 50MPG?
    (seen on a previous-gen - A4 - jetta tdi sedan).
    reminds me of a nice geek t-shirt: GOT ROOT?
    I did a 261 miles R/T yesterday, San Jose to Davis, CA and return (there was a side 54 miles R/T ,1 leg in rush hour traffic). I kept it under 85 mph. As folks that currently do or might have done this route, 85 mph in some areas is SERIOUSLY under the average flow or behind the power curve. I filled with 5 gals of #2 ULSD for 52 mpg (52.2)
    I have obtained simular reaults with my 2003 TDI. If fact, I have measured 56 MPG under the right conditions while on a trip that is purly highway travel.

Given that my TDI can go over 700 miles on one fillup... it is VERY RARE INDEED when I can actually empty a tank of fuel on a purely-highway trip.

My TDI did a round trip from Burlington Vermont to Southern Colorado and back in about 5 days. The engine NEVER cooled down during this entire round-trip as we rotated thru 3 drivers.

As an aside, the engine-oil level did not drop at all over this entire trip. Often, highway-speeds will consume some amount of oil thru the crankcase ventalation system.
    Yah gotta love this car!!?? :)
  • proam1985proam1985 Member Posts: 1
    50 Mpg?? All I get on the highway running at about 80 mph is 40 Mpg my car is a 2006 automatic. Are you running at these speeds and is it Manual or Automatic. Also..this oil thing has me confused. For the TDI I am paying $10 for the filter and $6.65 (ea) for the Oil from the dealer. Can I do it cheaper at one of the lube places...I don't think so but has anyone got experience with having oil changed outside of the dealer? Total cost with labor at the dealer is $116 and that includes the tire rotation that I always do every 5000 miles. Feedback please.
    Yes. See #1231 for some of the details, additionally 3 people in the vehicle. I am running a manual transmission.

On the oil issue. I am afraid I would not have good economic news for you. 10 per filter is about the going rate. You can search the net for better deals, but you normally have to buy 10 ea @ 6-7 per each to justify the shipping charges.

For the oil, information is getting a tad more complex, so indeed START with the oem specification in your owners manual !!!! You might want to do a google for ELF oil products. Chances are, EVEN the dealer is NOT putting the correct specification oil.

UNFORTUNATELY it is almost totally "BUYER BEWARE"

Having said that, once you have those issues resolved, DIY takes me all of 10 mins and that is dawdle ling!!! I use an evacuator and the real time is used cleaning up the new/old oil containers and unbuttoning and buttoning. The filter R/R is a bit of a mess and bother but total cost for me is like 6.50 filter, 5qt oil at 4 per or 26.50 and I go 25,000 miles OCI's. With the advent of ULSD I am seriously considering 30,000 mile OCI's. :)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I saw that episode! It was very interesting. They said it ran without any change in performance and fuel economy. This is good because wal*mart was having a sale on cooking oil: 5 gallons for $4.59 and 1 gallon for $2.67. The same price as diesel gas here... Intriguing....

-cJ
    Your fuel economy should improve as your mileage increases. But comparing a 2006 TDI with a 2003 TDI is an apples/oranges exercise. The 2006 is 9% heavier, has an engine that puts out 14% more torque, and has exterior and interior dimensions more similar to a 2003 Passat than a 2003 Jetta. The EPA rated the 2006 Jetta TDI automatic as getting 7% less fuel mileage than a 2003 automatic and 14% less than a 2003 manual. With 10,000 miles on our 2006 DSG, we're getting 45 MPG in freeway driving (65-80 mph), so it's now beating our 2004 Passat TDI wagon.

As for your service expenses, your service department must be very proud of their work. At the dealer we pay $50-$60 for the 10,000 mile servicing for our Passat and Jetta TDI' s. (The Passat costs less because it takes one less liter of oil.)
    I have a MANUAL xmission and have carefully broken in my TDI engine to get maximum ecomemy. Also my 2003 is more efficent than the PD engine in your 2006.

As for oil. YOU MUST USE VW505.01 synthetic oil (not VW505.00) Since my TDI only needs oil-changes every 10,000 miles, it is not really all that more expensive than other cars.

Since these oils are DESIGNED to go at least 10,000 miles, you would be wasting perfectly good oil if it were removed from the engine before 10,000 miles.

More importantly, your engine will very likely suffer severe mechanical damage if any lesser oil were substituted. (Some people have tried lesser oils and ended up with a boat-anchor for an engine)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    The new 2008 vw jetta tdi is all the "rave" and its sooo efficient. I see it as a good upgrade to the 1.9tdi engine now with all that hp & torque.

CAN'T WAIT!!
    Cj
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    Info. released by VW Jan 23, 2007
    CLEAN DIESEL VOLKSWAGEN JETTA MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT WASHINGTON, D.C. AUTO SHOW

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Volkswagen of America, Inc. today unveiled its cleanest diesel ever for the U.S., the Jetta TDI. Additionally, the company announced that this new clean diesel will be available to the U.S. market in the spring of 2008. This Jetta TDI will meet emissions standards applicable in all 50 states, including the most stringent "TIER 2/BIN 5" or "LEV II/LEV" requirement limiting nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions to 0.05 g/mile.

This clean diesel Jetta meets the lowest emissions standards without the use of urea injection. Instead, a nitrogen oxide storage catalyst reduces NOx emissions by up to 90 percent. The engine management system in the Jetta changes operating modes periodically to treat the NOx that has been stored in the catalytic converter. A particulate filter in the exhaust system further reduces emissions.

The Jetta TDI is one of the first products of the BLUETEC offensive initiated jointly by Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen. The goal of this partnership is to establish the concept of BLUETEC as a uniform label for clean and highly fuel efficient diesel-powered cars and SUVs with 50-state compliant engines. BLUETEC denotes diesel power plants that comply with the strictest emissions regulations of the US market. The technologies individually developed by each manufacturer serve to reduce NOx in particular – an exhaust element more prevalent in a diesel engine.

Volkswagen unveiled its clean diesel concept Tiguan compact SUV at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November. The Tiguan will be available in the U.S. mid 2008.

Volkswagen has a 30-year history of providing the U.S. market with efficient and durable diesel vehicles. Diesels traditionally account for almost 20 percent of Volkswagen's sales in the United States.
    Liquimoly product. Has anyone used this? Worth it?
    The Liquimoly "Diesel Purge" product has been shown to be VERY effective at cleaning the injectors in the TDI engine. Some folks run a can thru the injectors every 30,000 mile or so.

It does have to be used properly by running it thru the injectors directly. Here are 3 links describing how to use it.

link 1

link 2

3rd link
  • secokennsecokenn Member Posts: 1
    Jetta folks out there....I need your help.
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2004 Jetta TDI at my local VW/Audi dealer. The car is immaculate. I have owned quite a few Mercedes diesels but never a VW. I am somewhat concerned about the service horror stories I have read on this and other websites.
    This Jetta has 66000 miles.
    Someone out there convince me to buy this car..or not
    Thanks
    SECOKENN Washington state
    With 66K miles on it, that Jetta probably didn't spend much time in the shop for repairs. Get a Carfax report and ask for the maintenance records. Compare the maintenance records with the VW recommended maintenance schedule for that model. Edmunds used car guide can provide a reasonable price for your location. You have experience with diesels, so you can judge the car's running condition during the test drive. If you have doubts, have an independent mechanic check it out.

If the car's history and price are good, go for it.

We've had one minor electrical problem with our 2004 Passat TDI in 33K miles, and absolutely no problems with our 2006 Jetta TDI in 11K miles.
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    I have an 04 PD TDI Jetta and really love the car. If I were going to buy a used one I would be carefull to check that the correct motor oil had been used in it. The Pump Deuse Injectors develop 30,000 psi of fuel pressure and are actuated by the camshaft. This creates a lot of sheer stress on the oil which is why there have been quite a few posts with worn camshafts for people that didn't use the right oil (the 04's require VW Spec 505.01, 506.01, or 507). I would also ask if the EGR cooler recall had been done (the EGR coolers had a very high failure rate and 4 or 5 months ago VW came out with a new redesigned cooler that should not have that problem). If you buy it, be sure to do the timing belt (and everything that turns along with it: tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump) in another 34K miles. Good luck
  • flynhiflynhi Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2001 Jetta 1.9 TDI. The problem I have is after I drive the car for about 15 - 20 minutes it loses power to the point where it won't hardly go. I have to let off the accelerator pedal, let it idle for a while, and then it seems to clear up. After that it works fine for another few minutes before acting up again. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? This is my first diesel and I have no idea what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
    I cannot relate your symptoms to anything specefic... My initial thought is gelled fuel. (which then thaws after being warmed in the fuel-filter for a bit.)

What is the ambient tempartures where you are and have you been adding antigell to the fuel at every fillup?

How many miles ago did you replace the fuel filter?
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    If the intake manifold has not been cleaned this is a very common problem with these vehicles that will cause the problem that you describe.
    It's been in the upper 20's during the day and drops down to the teens at night.

I just bought the car and the guy I got it from said he changed the fuel filter not too long ago. Unsure of actually time.

This is my first diesel and I wasn't aware of any antigell aditive. I assume you'd get that ay any auto parts store, right?

Thanks for your reply.

David
    It's almost time for the 80k maintenance. Is this something they would do as routine maintenance. By the way, I was shocked at what the 80k maint was going to cost. Almost $1000.
    Since my TDI was new, I always add about 6oz of Power Service additive at every fillup. (Some folks chose to add it when they get home from filling up.)

Summer ==> Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost
    Winter ==> Diesel Fuel Supplement

POWERSERVICE products are available at WallMart.

Unlike some of the "snake oils" that are sold as "additives" for gasoline.... Diesel fuel in North America is pretty crappy and needs some help. Adding a few Cetane numbers can improve MPG and reduce engine noise. (Obviously antiJell is a must in the winter)

Also, using a diesel fuel additive also lubricates the VERY expensive fuelpump and keeps the injectors clean.
    Thanks BP for some valuable information.

I will certainly go out and get some today.

If you know of any other resources, on the web, that might be helpful please let know.

Thanks again.

David
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I agree with bpeebles...

It could be the gelling in the low temperatures..
    or the fuel filter...with gelled waxy stuff inside..
    or intake manifold...though it must be really dirty to cause any symptoms as severe as yours.

You should go to the link for the site for tdi owners, above....see link 1 .
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Does anyone have any good recomendations for a portable interior 12vdc heater, possiably one that operates on 120vac as well. The Jetta just will not warm up for at least 10 min of highway driving inside the car. If I drive around the city good luck getting much heat at all (thats where the heated seats come in)! Now I have a baby in the car and unless I take the car out for a spin first to warm it up the poor baby freezes. The cold weather is unreal this year -40 So much for Global Warming!!!
    I have tried one of those 12V heaters that plugs into the car. At sub-zero temps, it does not even generate enough heat to defrost windshield.

Technically speaking, Even if you could get a heater that could make a difference, there really is not enough power available in the car battery to power it. (Simple "conversion of power" math which I will not delve into here)

I assume you have already covered the radiator air-intake and considerd a plug-in engine heater. (still only about 1500 watts max available from a wall plug and the engine cools off quickly once you unplug it and drive away.)

With a baby, you really need a way to heat up the inside of the car. It sounds to me your only real solution is an engine heater which is powered by diesel fuel and they do not require any external power. There are several types available and it is reported that they work VERY well.(engine is all warmed up when you start it on the coldest mornings.) These heaters are NOT cheap (over $1000) but they are the ONLY real way to do what you ask.

Here is a link to the ESPAR heater.
    and Webasto Heater
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Thanks bpeebles,
    I do agree that these 12V mini heaters seem very cheap and not practical to heat the interior air space. They are only typically 100-200W units operating off a 12v car lighter. There are some units you can buy that are 110V and you can place inside your car prior to going out and it will heat the interior and they run around the 900W range. However, as you mention when you drive away the cab can lose its heat fast and your stuck with the heat from the TDI. Unless of course you had the heater and a 1000W DC-AC inverter straped in your trunk! I do have the plug-in engine heater which works great to make the cold start MUCH easier, but once you drive away the heat dissipates very quickly. I have not yet put on the pipe insulation, as i recall it is 1/2inch material I need. So I will give that a shot. I checked out the ESPAR site, cool products but a little over the top for what I need. Other than that I can not wait for spring, and baby will use lots of blankets until the car warms up.
  • harryeharrye Member Posts: 5
    Hello all. I need a new engine for my 2000 TDI. Does anybody know of any good/reliable sources for an engine at a reasonable price? Thank you for your time.
  • mortstermortster Member Posts: 1
    Car won't start. It seems like something is restricting the flow of fuel. It chugs for a few seconds then dies. It worked great last night. Any suggestions?
    The tdi diesel engine is so efficient, that it does not use that much fuel in idle....and if you are idling, the interior temp would take forever to warm up.

Best way many TDIers have been doing, is to immediately drive off in lower gears , not gunning the engine, and putting some load on it, like turning up the heated seats and keeping it in lower gears a little longer.

I would also try to bring extra throw blankets....
    wow, what happened >? Did your engine hydrolock ?

I do see some people selling their working tdi engine after the car received some damage....but I would ask to see that it at leasts starts, before I buy it. I saw some on buy, maybe there is one site for your city.

you can also checkout: this