Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• sandman52sandman52 Posts: 36
    After driving my my 05.5 New Jetta for about 8 months now, I can't say there is much about this car I don't like, but one thing I have missed on occasion is having fog lamps.

I've talked with the dealer about their availability, and even though the owners manual talks about how to turn them on by pulling outward on the light switch, the dealer sounds like there isn't much chance of VW offering them as an add on accessory.
    I see the new VW GTI has them, and that the side front grilles they are mounted in look very similar in size and shape to the Jetta, but no support from the dealer on checking for fit.
    Has anyone out there found an answer for this? I'd really like to get some, but want them to look like they belong there, and not just some aftermarket afterthought.
    :confuse:
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    The Factory fogs are built into the headlamp assemblies. So you'd have to buy new assemblies and a switch (maybe a few other things, I forget). I've seen others make this upgrade and it didn't seem to difficult, but very expensive. I think I calculated $500 or so do do it. The flip side is you could probably get a couple hundred out of your factory headlamps on Ebay or something. If you do a search, there are some online TDI clubs and you'll find folks there that have done this mod.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    That sounds like a fun drive if you took the 101.

DL
    You can get a complete GLI grill kit for about $187.00 you would also need a euro switch about $60 and of course the fogs and relays. Ud think it would be wired up and would be plug and play But nooooo. As far as Im concerned they are safety equipment. Why the TDI and VE Jetta's dont get them and the 2.0T and GLI do, is beyond me.

DL
  • jpc4jpc4 Posts: 2
    I'm about to purchase a new Jetta TDI and was wondering about the oil pan issues I have seen crop up on the board. Is the oil pan on the 2006 Jetta TDI as vulnerable to road debris as 2005 Jetta and Beetle? Are there any other concerns I should look for when I pick the car up?

Thanks,
    John C.
  • ianrilianril Posts: 8
    Got the following problem codes today.

P0380 (Glow Plug/Heater Circuit(A) ElectricalFault in Circuit) - Read that changing the harness may fix this error. Any other thoughts?

P1403 (EGR Flow Deviation) - Couldn't find any suggestions for a fix for this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    You asked for thoughts.... I am sure you can get additoinal details if you research the internet.

P0380 == Ususally a CONNECTOR between harness and glowplug. If not maintained, these connectors will corrode to the point of failre. Replacing harness ends may be the only long-term fix for this.

P1403 == Sounds like your engine may suffering from getting intake-manifold plugging. To check for this, pull off the clamp/hose entering the intake manofold on the passengers side. Use flashlight to look inside... I am willing to bet that you will find it filled with carbon-goo.
    P0380 (Glow Plug/Heater Circuit(A) ElectricalFault in Circuit) - Read that changing the harness may fix this error. Any other thoughts?

I believe that's the code I get every six months or so. I find cleaning all the contacts with sand paper (or other contact cleaner). The MIL is very sensitive and a little corrosion can set the light. That's the cheap thing to try anyway!
  • manda06tdimanda06tdi Posts: 1
    As I write this, my 2006 Jetta TDI 6 speed w/automatic Tiptronic transmission (w/828 miles on her) is back at the dealer, torn apart b/c no one knows what is wrong w/ her! Yesterday, I noticed a really loud grinding & banging coming from my car. I pulled into WalMart and shopped for about an hour. When I came out and started my car, the noises had gotten louder. I reversed out of my spot, put it into Drive and w/out my foot on the gas, she took off from me! I slammed on my brakes, the car made a very loud pop noise and started to stall. I shut it off and started it again and it started but made some loud sounds like it was back firing. It stalled again and I drifted back into a parking spot. This is where I sat until the towing company came and stated that this was the 6th 06 VW to be towed by him...and I live in a small country town! I later got a phone call stating that the dealer had no idea what was wrong and that they had pin-pointed the noises to a certain location and were just gonna start stripping my car down. To top it all off- all that $ paid for the car and they put me up in a Kia Spectrum! They couldn't even give me another VW to drive. This was my 1st VW experience as well & am too very disappointed. I would like my $ back too, but my dealer says it's too late. Did they find out what was wrong w/ yours yet?
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    This applies to any car that is low to the ground.

This is not our only problem. You could blame VW Jetta for all the chuckholes in all the roads today. I've ruined two tires because of them. You could blame the Jetta for bad windshields just because no one covers the gravel trucks anymore. You could blame VW for bad tires that keep picking up screws from contractors trailers. The truth of the matter is the US auto manufactories and Toyota don't want VW to succeed with their diesels. They would rather keep building the big tanks for the soccer mons.

The real truth is the 06 Jetta TDI is the best diesel car in the US market today. There are plenty of dealers for support and they don't cost an arm and a leg to buy.
  • sandman52sandman52 Posts: 36
    Thanks DL.
    I agree, foglamps should be standard basic safety equipment, but at least an option for all, if standard on some like the 2.0T, and GTI

It sounds like you have looked into this too, since you seem to know the costs of the associated parts.

Do you know for sure if the grilles are interchangeable for fit? If so, I may continue to pursue them.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, one guy added the upper GLI grill, but not the lowers. So at least that is no problem. Im still suprised that the wiring harness is not allready there. I think either way I will get the Auto/euro switch, and probably have the DRL disabled.

DL
    Be careful here.... One reason that the TDI does not have foglights in the lower part of the grille is because of the intercooler. The lower-passenger-side grille is the intake for the intercooler. It would be unwise to plug it up with a foglamp.

If you REALLY want more light... there are other options. (use your favorite search-engine and search for "VW AND E-Code")
  • imncfanimncfan Posts: 1
    Curious, what is the approximate 0-60 time on the car?
    Tarheel
    OK, now that makes sense. Can't belive this is the first time I've heard that.

Thanks,
    DL
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I appreciate people who think systems and consider how changes in components may impact other components. I wish politicians could think like you do. However, please note that the half of the right lower grill where the fog light would be mounted is already blocked off in the TDI grill. Also, front fog lights mounted in the lower grills are available on the Sport version of the Jetta TDI in Europe and Britain. So, I doubt that air flow would be altered.

I installed Hella Micro DE fog lights and lower grills in my 2004 Passat GL TDI wagon, which did not come with factory fogs. The end result looks and functions 100% factory. I had to change the lower grills (supplied by Hella), run wires from the fog lights to the wiring harnesses in the kick panels, plug a VW fog light relay into the fuse panel, and change to a European headlight switch. I also wired the tail lights for rear fog lights. Except for the ground wire, the wiring from the front fog lights to the kick panel, and the wiring to the rear fog lights, its factory.

I just bought my Jetta TDI yesterday, and I have not yet received the eBahn CD, so I am not sure yet which factory wires to tap into. But, I imagine the European headlight switch will plug in to the North American wiring harness without a problem, and I bet the North American wiring harness contains front fog light wiring coming out of the fuse panel.
    The headlight switch may be an even EASIER swap than you think.

Did you know that your headlight switch just "unplugs" from the dashboard? Push it in slightly and turn it... then it just pulls right out of the dashboard. The wiring-harness remains in the back of the dash...which the switch assembly pull out of it.

As for your argument that "other" turbocharged VWs have foglights.... you make a very good point.

I guess I just wanted to point out the we need to be cognizant of the intercooler air-intake as we think about adding foglights.
  • jpc4jpc4 Posts: 2
    I would say that this a problem, depending on your personality, which you may or may not find concerning. I've owned VW diesels for a long time and have never even hear of having an oil pan ripped open (dented maybe.) Just as my 98 TDI had issues with the window regulators which did not concern me to much as I was capable of fixing them. Had I needed to pay someone to fix them it would have bothered me a lot more.
    To me losing an oil pan is pretty catastrophic given the fact that if you are not quick enough to shut down the engine, you will cook it. If this is still an issue with the 2006's then I would be looking to put on a new skip plate. Call me overly cautious all you want, but it is one thing being proactive about (at a reasonable price) will insure I do not have any problems with.
    You are right about there being plenty of VW dealers. But finding a dealer who employs a good TDI mechanic is another story. I wish there were a listing place were TDI service was rated in the North East.
  • Hello I just bought my new jetta 06 TDI it now has 500 miles on it. I wanted to know if they have fixed your and what the trouble was.

Thanks hope the best of luck to you and your new TDI in the future.

Diesel_soot
  • timsueshdtimsueshd Posts: 1
    My husband and I are thinking of buying a 2006 Jetta TDI Manual 5-speed. But we are a little leary because of the new diesel requirements the government is coming out with. How much is this going to affect diesel prices at the pump, especially in a few years?

The cost of the car is $22,000 and we currently have no car payment, is the diesel really worth buying and having a car payment? We would get double gas mileage then our 2003 Bonneville.

What are your thoughts??

Thanks
    Are you going to get rid of the Bonneville regardless? If not, it may be hard to recoup the loss of trading vehicles. How many miles do you drive? That's the big question because if you're going to cut your fuel bill in half....if you're an average driver (15k miles per year) that will save about $900/year. That's not a lot considering the cost of getting into a new car.
    C@D got 10.3. If your into jack-rabbit starts this is not the car for you. But, at speed or highway passing there is oodles of torque. It's a different kind of fun.

DL
  • vwinvavwinva Posts: 71
    I have an 02 TDI automatic. Driving 32K a year. Averaging 42MPG. And diesel in Va. is below regular. From what I have seen ULSD will price $.05-.10 more per gallon. Well worth it for me. I would suggest a diesel only if you are going to drive 20K/yr or more. And mostly highway. Around town a hybrid works better. Stop & go is where the regenerative braking pays off. My wife has a Civic hybrid, gets 50MPG under these conditions. Definitely go with a manual. Automatic costs your 4mpg.
    I have one comment your statement "Definitely go with a manual. Automatic costs your 4mpg." This is not true about the DSG xmission.

The new DSG xmission has been reported to be at least as good as a well-deiven manual xmission. Dont forget that the DSG xmission is really an "automatic-manual" transmission. It actually changes gears in about 0.8 seconds due to the dual clutches.

The DSG xmission is NOT like any other automatic transmisision. It is based on the same design as F1 race car xmissions.

It has been reported that the DSG xmission is perhaps the 1st REAL new transmission technology available to the public since the invention of the automatic transmission.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    From what I have seen ULSD will price $.05-.10 more per gallon.

In San Diego the ARCO/BP stations started selling ULSD more than a year ago. Their diesel is cheaper than their regular unleaded. Their diesel is generally the least expensive in our area. I don't think the ULSD will cost more, in CA diesel is taxed higher than gas. It costs less to refine diesel than gas. It is all politics these days.
    Do you - or anyone else on this board - have actual MPG stats for the DXG? Not what is on the window, what someone is getting in actual usage.
    Anyone heard anything further about this SUV? Will VW bring out a TDI version?
    I dont have any real-world experinece with the DSG xmission. HOWEVER: In general VW TDIs get higher MPG than what is on the window sticker.

The MPG will tend to climb for the first 20 -to- 30 thousand miles.... especially if attention is given to breaking in the engine for maximum compression. (thus maximim efficency)

As with any automobile, your driving habits play a large part in your actual MPG. I have always been able to at least match the window-sticker on any vehicle I have owned.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    For the first 322 miles off the dealer's lot, I averaged 44.2 mpg. That was a mix of highway (45 mph to 70 mph) and city driving during the initial break-in. (According to the manual, you can get it up to 120 mph during break-in as long as you do not accelerate rapidly, but my wife wouldn't let me. :() I think it will probably exceed the sticker estimate even more by 2010 when it should be fully broken-in. ;)
  • ctdtdictdtdi Posts: 2
    My wife and I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI with the DSG transmission; it’s my wife’s car that I get to drive when I’m lucky.
    Don’t listen to anyone that says to only get the 5-speed manual unless they have had a lot of windshield time behind the DSG.(It’s a great transmission and I wouldn’t trade it for a 5-speed any day. It also is supposed to get as good or better fuel mileage than the manual.)
    I have a Camry and the Jetta gets around 11-13 mpg better in commuting to work than the Camry and has got 23.75 mpg better on the highway.
    Don’t believe the mileage computers in any car when figuring fuel mileage; they tend to be very generous.
    Our car has about 14,000 miles on it now and gets 37.5 to 42 mpg everyday driving and I have got 53.75 mpg on the highway. When this car gets fully broken-in I would bet I can get 60 mpg on the highway, but you have to drive for fuel mileage to achieve those numbers.
    When I got in a hurry one day I got 30 mpg, so your driving habits will determine if you get great or poor fuel mileage. I will admit I had a blast when I got the 30 mpg and the 53.75 was one boring drive.
    The Jetta is so fun to drive you wont regret buying one at all, my wife wishes she had got one a long time ago and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Her previous vehicle was a minivan that cost $50.00 a week in fuel before gas went up and now cost $35.00 every two weeks for the same drive. If you don’t like it I doubt you will have a hard time selling it, they hold their resale very well.
    I hope this help you in your decision!