Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Well, the Civic and its sister the integra are 2 of the highest rate of stolen cars year after year. Part of the reason is the cost of the parts...

DL
    Good luck in your search.I contacted 8 dealers so far and the results were. 5 no replies at all. 2 MSRP and 1 for 2% over invoice. I also mentioned I did not have time for a drive at one center and was offered to take it home over nite. Try that at yota, honda ect....

DL
  • ianrilianril Posts: 8
    Okay. Here's the problem. I turn my A/C or heater on and my blower motor makes a horrible noise. It also vibrates the entire car. I'm no mechanic, but I assume it's the blower motor area as I took my glove box out and pinpointed the sound of the problem. Now, I get cold air still and it still blows at what seems to be the normal pressure. I've read up that it could either be the motor itself or the resistor, but I have no idea which one. I figure the motor is still working as I'm still getting air and heat at normal pressure. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    by bpeebles Apr 26, 2006 (5:56 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: jworthington (Apr 26, 2006 4:40 pm)

The Toyota will be more reliable than Jetta... that is almost a given. but dont confuse "reliability" with "quality".

Before I bought my 05 Passat TDI I owned a 04 Toyota Seinna. While I had the Seinna we had four recalls, so don't say the VW Jetta is that much worse than Toyota. I have owned over 40 new vehicles and I consider the Toyota Seinna the second worse vehicle I have ever owned. The only good thing I can say about it is: It had the best radio of all and it averaged 20 mpg.

Our 05 VW Passat TDI had some minor problems that the dealer fixed the first month. We AVERAGE right at 35 MPG. I have some complaints: The AM side of my radio has poor reception and I hate the 17" tires. 17" tires are hard to find and expensive. You can get 16" tires. That was my fault.

As for the $35,000 price for the Jetta. I have a hard time believing an 06 Jetta TDI would cost that much. I only paid $25,000 for our new 05 Passat TDI. One big plus for the new Jetta's is the new automatic transmission. I wish I had this on my Passat. I've seen a number of reports on the 06 Jetta TDI and all are great plus the new crash test for the 06 Jetta was 5 star.
  • ianrilianril Posts: 8
    Scratch that... just had some padding lining that had torn loose inside the motor... /whew.
  • sean9sean9 Posts: 82
    Also as a new owner of the 06'Jetta TDI, (had it for about 7 months) This is an all round fantastic car. I get about 48mpg on average, Diesel is way cheaper than gas here which is a big bonus! Compared to the Camry it looks about 20 times nicer!! No matter what everyone says about EXTREME repair bills and dealership costs My VW service center is awesome, Free oil change every once in a while and they are great about working a good deal out. This car handles very well, sweet leather package, good warranty, over all I personally would not even compare this car to a Camry, Maybe an Audi? But then again I am a younger guy and alot of older people may like the Toyota Camry. ;)
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,708
    The good news is you can look forward to even BETTER fuel mileage from 55-60k. The TDI does not develop full compression till then !! This is in contrast to the gasser whose full compression happens long about 1-5k.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    A local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are driving a diesel Volkswagen or Mercedes-Benz in the Midwest/Northeast area, please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and where you’re located.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• 24262426 Posts: 4
    I have never owned a VW before and am considering the Jetta TDI. I'm concerned about how much maintenance may cost, reliability etc. Does anyone have feedback on this?

I drive about 2,300 miles a month and need a reliable car with great mileage. Does the TDI REALLY get 48 mpg on the highway? Any guesses at the MPG if I'm cruising at 80 mph?

I'm hoping the 2006 TDI will blow my 2003 Civic Hybrid away!
  • sheil10sheil10 Posts: 1
    I just got a 2002 jetta TDI and i was wondering what are to best upgrades I can do to get the most power for the least amount of money.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    i mostly cruise at 80 mph. my 2003 jetta tdi wagon 5-spd returned 48 mpg with such driving over about 60k miles. my 2004 passat tdi gets about 37 mpg with such driving. more if i keep it closer to 70.
  • merlynnmerlynn Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI about a week and a half ago. I went with the TDI for the gas mileage as I drive about 3-4000 miles a month. I had been on my second Mercedes C230. It was up to 204,000 miles on the motor. There really were not any problems to speak of except the price of premium fuel. So, I had been really enjoying my Jetta and the fact that I only had to fill up about once a week. Then last Friday the transmission went out in it. Yes, it was only one week old and had about 1000 miles on it. It was towed back to the dealership and is being checked over as I write this. So far, they are not really sure what the problem is. It may be stuck between two gears. The transmission is an automatic. As this was my first VW, I am quite disgusted with the whole experience. Has anyone had a similar event? At this point, I would like my money returned, so I can buy another Benz.
    "Well, the Civic and its sister the integra are 2 of the highest rate of stolen cars year after year. Part of the reason is the cost of the parts...

DL "

As most folks know, the one figure one pays for auto insurance can be made up of a number of categories. So in terms of "safety" the fact that the Civic and its sister the Intergra are 2 of the highest rate of stolen cars, year after year would probably affect/effect the comprehensive portion and not the "liability" portion.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    No very likely anything will get 48 MPG at 80 MPH. Slow it down between 65 and 70 and you may be able to get that kind of mileage.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    keeping speeds closer to 60 & 70 , my 2003 jetta 5-spd wagon would exceed 50 mpg substantially - nearly 55 mpg. i strategically commuted in that car when fuel was $1/gallon and am now commuting in a 21 mpg V8 subcompact instead! timing is everything...
    "No very likely anything will get 48 MPG at 80 MPH. Slow it down between 65 and 70 and you may be able to get that kind of mileage. "

I would agree wit your first sentence. It might not be in the direction you might think! @ 80 mph I get a steady 50 mpg. I would disagree with your 2nd sentence. At 65/70 we are talking inxs of 55 mpg.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I can get over 56MPG on a highway trip. This is with 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage. The AC was on as it was over 80F outside. I would say that my average speed may have been 70MPH. The trip was about 12 hours in length. (less than one tank of fuel!!)

It is IMPERITIVE that one breaks in the TDI engine properly to acheive good sealing of the piston rings. Babying a TDI engine may result in lower MPG overall.
    Sounds like the megatronic went out. I've heard of a few of these being bad outta the box. Hopefully they can get you back on the road soon.

DL
    Just as a comparison, I took a San Jose, CA to Portland Oregon trip with a friend and got an overal 37 mpg on a Honda Civic. He drove 85-90, I drove 80/85. I would say all in all we pushed the Civic FAR less than I would have gone with the Jetta TDI
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    My lifetime Avg on my TDI is around 46mpg. I'm usually running in the 75-85mph range depending on traffic. If I'm just running 100% highway, it'll do over 50mpg at those speeds and I have about 20hp worth of mods.