Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• toddf1toddf1 Posts: 4
    My girlfriend has a 1997 TDI turbo/fuel injected Volkswagen Jetta. A few months ago it started becoming quite sluggish, especially noticable going up any type of grade. It is usually a very peppy car and has just over 200,000 km which from what I have heard is not much for these engines. It starts easily and idles great. My mechanic buddy had me change the air filter, and add a fuel cleaner into the tank on fills but didn't do anything. We then changed the fuel filter and it was considerably better (not 100% the way it was) but very noticable difference. After a couple of weeks the car has become sluggish again. He thought it may have something to do with fuel pressure or the pump itself.

Any ideas?
  • cancan Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 Jetta TDI and I recently drove 1300 miles to florida and parked in a freshly painted gray garage and saw no signs of anything on the floor except A/C condensation.
    This is my second TDI and I never seen black particles left behind,I hope this helps :) :)
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    Lets hope it is NOT the fuel pump. (A diesel fuel pump is VERY expensive even a rebuilt one may be near $800)

There are several things I would check
    *) Snowscreen plugged up (easy to clean)
    *) intake plenum plugged up (somwhat harder to clean)
    *) bad MAF (about $100 - $200 part)
    *) VNT vanes carboned up (may be able to free them up by wiggling the lever)

VNT = Varible Nozzle Trubocharger
  • travisvwtravisvw Posts: 2
    I bought a 2002 JETTA TDI Feb of 2004 with 28,000. It now has 74,000 miles. I was driving on the freeway when I heard an unusually loud knocking sound coming from the engine. It also acted as if it lost power. I immediately pulled off the road and had it towed to the dealership. The service shop is telling me I need a new engine because of a lack of compression. I guess my question is do Jetta tdi's engines only last 75,000 miles?
    The TDI engine has been known to go at least 300,000 miles. Diesel engines in general should last TWICE as long as a gasser.

Your engine obviously had some kind of unusual failure. I wonder if the timing belt was not replaced at the proper intervals? If the timing belt skipps a tooth, the valves can contact the pistons making for an instatnt boat-anchor.

Another possibility is that the proper synthetic oil was not used in the engine.

Do you have any other details about what the problem is? "Lack of compression" does not automaticly mean you need a new engine. A good mechanic can use a remote-camera and snake it into the engine to 'look around" and make a more detailed diagnosis.
  • travisvwtravisvw Posts: 2
    Synthetic oil was used at the recommended intervals and the timing belt is not recommended to be changed until 80,000 miles, however, the mechanic has ruled that out. Volkswagon is requiring the dealer to disassemble the engine for diagnostic purposes. The mechanic said that he was 90% sure that a new engine is needed, but he had not made a determination as to what exactly caused the compression loss. It has run problem free up until now. Its a mystery. I am hoping that VW, despite the fact that the engine is 14,000 out of warrantee, will back up their product if this is some sort of manufacturer defect.
  • toddf1toddf1 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestions Bruce. I will look into these one by one. I have a diesel mechanic buddy who has helped me when he has time. I am leaning towards something being plugged because of how much better it ran after changing the fuel filter. Yet after a couple of weeks it has become sluggish again, frustrating.
    He mentioned having the fuel pressure checked but wasn't sure quite how to do this on the vehicles.

I'll let you know how I make out.

cheers,

Todd
  • HI MY NAME IS CHRISTIAN I AM AN INDEPENDENT VW TECH IN NEW-BRUNSWICK CANADA I WORK ON TDI EVERY DAY SO YOUR PROBLEM MIGHT BE YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD IS PROBABLY CLOGGED FORM THE EGR GOING IN TO YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD YOU HAVE TO REMOUVE THE HOSE IN FRONT OF THE EGR LEADING TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND REMOVE THE EGR TO HAVE A LOOK IF IT SEEMS CLOGGED IF YES YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND CLEANED IT PROBABLEBLY AND ALSO THE INTAKE PORTS IN THE HEAD I HAVE HEAD OF ONE OF MY CUSTOMER WHO HAD IT CLEANED IN AN ULTRASONIC BATH IF AVAILABLE IT SEEMS TO HAVE IT CLEANED LIKE NEW IF THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM THEN CHECK YOUR CATALYTIC CONVERTOR IT MIGHT BE CLOGGED ALSO THE AIR FLOW METER COULD BE AT FAULT BUT THE ENGINE CODE AHU DOSEN'T SUFFER AS MUCH AS THE TDI ENGINE CODE ALH FROM 19991/2 UP TO 2003 SO GOOD LUCK
  • HI MY NAME IS CHRISTIAN AND I SERVICE VW FOR A LIVING I LIVE IN CANADA WHERE THERE IS A LOT OF TDI THE QUESTION OF OIL IS YOU HAVE TO USE SYNTHETIC 5W40 VW NORM 502.00, 505.00 FOR TDI UP TO 2003 AND VW NORM 500.00, 505.00.505.01 FOR PD TDI OR PUMPA DUSA I USE ELF MOTOR OIL IT IS EUROPEAN IT IS APPROVED BY VW THE TYPE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS ELF EXELLIUM LDX 5W40 FOR UP TO 2003 AND ELF EXCELLIUM DID 5W40 FOR PD DIESELS I'M A DISTRIBUTOR FOR ELF I SELL THE LDX FOR 7.50 CAN A LITER AND IN BULK 6.50 CAN A LITER AND FOR DID FOR PD DIESELS IS A DOLLAR MORE IF YOU WANT MORE INFO ON THE PRODUCTS GO TO WWW.ELFMOTO.COM AND USE AND EUROPEAN TYPE OIL FILTER IS RECOMMENDED LIKE MANN BOSCH HENGEST KNETCH ETC OR VW FILTER GOOD LUCK
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,694
    Christian,
    Welcome to the forum. I have a question. Are many TDI owners in Canada using biodiesel? If so are you seeing any problems arising from the use of it?

PS
    Capitals are considered kind of rude, like you are yelling. We do welcome your expertise in the VW TDI field.
  • Are many TDI owners in Canada using biodiesel?

Speaking of that, for grins and giggles I filled the truck up with B2 on Wednesday just to see what, if any, difference it makes. Unfortunately, my truck sits in the drive most of the time so since I filled up I have only driven approximately 75 miles in the truck. If this behaves like regular #2, which I don't see why it wouldn't, for two tanks, I might try B20 in it. Just to see. The real test will come with the travel trailer hooked up to it. But once again, in theory there should be no noticeable performance difference (and so far with B2 there has been any decrease or increase......but you can get a hint of the difference in the exhaust fumes....)

The only problem with using Biodiesel is I have to drive 20 miles to get it....and it isn't on the way to anywhere.....in fact it is way out of the way. Premium Diesel is right around the corner at the Sunoco....but I figured I'd try a few tank fulls.
    I have to drive 20 miles to get it.

That is not very practical. One of the guys I work with lives in So. Dakota. He uses B20 in his 2005 Ford F250 with good results. He gets it at the farm Co-op for less than # 2 diesel at the regular stations. I read where Woody Harrelson and Willie Nelson's wife are using B100 in their Jetta's over on Maui. No worry about gelling there. I hesitate to try it as long as I have the ULSD that is recommended by VW for my new Passat.
  • catlin2catlin2 Posts: 1
    hey bud! I have the solution for you. The slow car pisses you off huh?!? my car use to be so slow i would have to give it all it had at a red light just to keep up with traffic in front of me. What was wrong was my MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR $$500$$. Replace it your self its easy if you need to know if thats what it is simply unplugg it if her car stays running thats what it is if your car dies thats not what it is. If you need to know more please contact me im interested to know what it is. if you need to know where it is contact me. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • foisyfoisy Posts: 1
    Hi everyone ! I have question for everyone ? I currently own a 2000 Grand prix GTP and before that i have always had Honda's I recently bought a delivery business and fuel economy is going to be my biggest hit in the wallet. So I have been looking into a 2004 VW Jetta. Besides looking really hot I hear the TDI is getting between 1000 to 1100km's to a tank of fuel. going to be putting between 250 and 300 k m's a day. So seeing those kinda of numbers almost turns me on ( lol ). Do you guys think i'm in the right direction or what? Thank you for any input.
  • robdrobd Posts: 3
    HELP

Have a 2003 Jetta TDI, the motor spins and does not start is there a sensor or switch or fuse that is bad?

delivery business and fuel economy

Welcome to the Forum. If what you are delivering will fit into the Jetta Wagon I would highly recommend it for your business. It you don't mind using the stick shift you can get over 40 MPG in town and 50 MPG on the highway. If you can find a new 2005 I would recommend that. The 2004 models seem to be pretty expensive. Good resale value in many parts of the USA. I think there are still some deals around. Are you in Canada? In Oregon there are dealers selling them close to invoice as the 2006 models are in the showrooms. No 2006 TDIs or wagons yet.

My dealer recommendation is Armstrong Buick VW, ask for the Internet salesman, or email him.
  • Need new ones (at 56kmiles?) 1 dealer say it needs to be 'programmed' (can only be done at the dealer) 1 says it does NOT need to be programmed.
    Called VW cstr svc who called a third dealer in the area who says NO to programming. Should I go with the best 2 of 3?

moondance3
    (who wants her old '65 bus back)
  • burnjoburnjo Posts: 1
    My check engine light on my 2001 Jetta TDI comes on and when I check it with a diagnostic tool I get an error code P0402. I have a repair manual but this code does not exist in the list. Does anyone know what this code means.
    Thanks a lot
    John
    The P0402 code means "EGR System: Excessive flow"

Check if your intake manifold is plugging up.