Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• altieri3altieri3 Posts: 2
    Thanks so much to all of you. Anyone know of a reliable independent TDI mechanic in New Orleans?
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,475
    Louisiana
    Go Scoot
    1945 Surgi Drive
    Mandeville, LA. 70448
    (985) 727-3143, Al Johnson
    www.goscoot.com
    MAP

From New Orleans I think that is 40 miles due north west across the Causeway. Apologies, I took LA to mean CA LA LA LA LAND. I have had no personal dealings with this shop, but it did make the word of mouth list on www.tdi.com. Hopefully this will aid you in research.
  • blundyblundy Posts: 15
    I've been looking through the VW internet sites and places like Edmuinds and Kelley. I don't see any VW diesels listed. Yet VW had an ad on the tube that they are bringing in more diesels this year. What year is the latest diesel VW got into the US? Thanks.
    My understanding is this would be the 2009 MY.
  • rremer1rremer1 Posts: 7
    I got an email from VW saying that the diesel Jetta Sportwagen will be here in August. I had signed up for updates at their web site. Regular gas Sportwagen here in June.
  • icaticat Posts: 12
    I have a video regarding fuel filter changing on a TDI but it shows a different housing AND filter than appears in my 2006 Jetta TDI. I can easily remove the cover for the housing by removing a series of star head screws but do I remove the actual filter? I am guessing I have to pry the black cap off but I am not certain.
  • siberiasiberia Posts: 520
    Icat, see if these instructions are more clear:
    link title
    Nice differences!!

However a cautionary note:

..."VW in their infinite wisdom has decided to install two different types of fuel filters for the A5. They are not interchangeable, and so you therefore must check the last 5 digits of your VIN. If it's 000001-814062 you need this fuel filter:
    -Meyle 2-hole Fuel Filter 1K0127434A ---
    If it is 814062 or later it's a dealer only item -OEM 1-hole Fuel Filter 1K0127434B --- "...
  • siberiasiberia Posts: 520
    That is in the instructions.

Again, the best way to determine which type of fuel filter you need is determined by your VIN, so when you order a fuel filter, make sure to include your VIN!
    Yes, It is right in the introduction. I repeated it because it bears repeating. Pardon me for offering this contrast, but as easy as the fuel filter change procedure on the A4 (old) was, this is even easier!!! On VW specific web sites, it is still surprising how many questions are generated on the old style. After reading the A5 write up, I can see where and why this would generate even more, starting with using the wrong one!!!

That aside, I do like the concept of changing just the filter element just like the oil filter design. You do not have to change the steel cartridge-saving a whole lot of resources throughout the fleet. I am surprised by the fact that just the filter element seems as costly as the old part.
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    With just the paper element being changed it is much easier to satisfy the environmental requirements. The remaining oil can pressed out of the paper element very easily, reducing the amount of oil ending up in the landfill. The procedure may be that the oil soaked paper element is incinerated.

The paper filter element was presumably the main cost of the filter. The absence of the steel can means that any flaws in the filter element would be visible, enabling detection of a defective filter. Quality control is enhanced.
    Since the majority of vehicles are gasser, makes you wonder why they do not need to meet those same environmental requirements. This is not even mentioning the fact that D2 breaks down far friendlier than RUG to PUG. Indeed during the life cycle great pains are taken to limit RUG to PUGs atmospheric evaporations.
  • icaticat Posts: 12
    That was outstanding, thank you.
  • bristol2bristol2 Posts: 736
    I am not a current VW owner but could be convinced by this vehicle:
    link title

Can any of you guys comment on the likelihood of VW truly coming to market with the Sportwagon TDI (non-50 state) in summer 2008 and then with the 50-state just one year later? Seems unlikely to me.

FWIW, I'm in a non-CARB state and would FAR rather have the non-CARB version.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Reading the article, it says it’ll be 50-state from the start. Fall of ’08. Likelihood of it actually being here in fall of ’08? Pretty good. Likelihood you’ll wanna pay the premium VW dealers are gonna try to get for them? Ha!

Once the diesel geeks buy them up it might be a different story. The bad part I see right now is a 30% fuel efficiency increase vs diesel running 20+% higher isn’t quite the payback it used to be. I’m still gonna check out the Tiguan if the AWD TDI version actually shows up. To date, VW has never offered an AWD diesel here in the states and I’m not holding my breath. But that’s the one I’ll buy if it shows.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    While not all that fuel efficient the Toureg V10 TDI is AWD.
    Dumb questions and off topic, but why do you want AWD, does it snow where you are?
    While not all that fuel efficient the Toureg V10 TDI is AWD. Totally shot that one didn't I? Wasn't even on my radar.....so they haven't build an AWD car or car like vehicle which is where the Tiguan is heading.
    Dumb questions and off topic, but why do you want AWD, does it snow where you are?

Yes, I get into snow. It would be the ulitimate vehicle being able to go where I need to go (i'm sure it would need snow tires) AND get much better mpg than the typical AWD choices out there. Of course if it has a significant mpg penalty it wouldn't be worth it. I can just drive my truck when I'm getting into the nasty stuff which is what I always did with my previous TDI. Say XX required trips using the truck vs a Xmpg penalty for the AWD Tiguan will be the start of the math equation.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Your other option would be Subaru as they are planning to bring their Boxer diesel engine to the states. It is probably still a few years off though.