Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Replacing CAT, original is an empty shell! I have owned since 9 months old.

pdunn154pdunn154 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in GMC
Any possibility 1999 GMC Safari Van came with a completely empty Catalytic Converter from the factory? I bought in 2000 and it was nearly a year old. So unless the original owner replaced the exhaust system with a "cheater" one I don't know what else it could be. It has not been cut out as it is factory welds on all sides.

It has passed every year of emissions test by large margins! Up till about 6 years ago it was an exhaust probe running on a rolling road. After that the test was just plugged into the OBD2 port. I recently was having a code (can't remember now) saying left bank emission, and pointed to the cat. Bought one, just pulled the exhaust off today and looked into the Cat, it is just a big plenum, absolutely nothing in it, also no scratches like something had been pulled out, it looks very original.

I would have thought it would have thrown a code if the downstream sensor did not sense what it was supposed to sense.

Now thinking that perhaps it is a modified downstream sensor, what happens if I install the "real" cat?