Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy GT Limited vs. Acura TSX and TL

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Three opinions... MT's Lassa, the C&D review, and mine.

;-)
  • According to Motor Trend, the TSX had a 0-60 time of 7.5. Next to the LGT's 5.8 (official), there's not much comparison. That was the only performance comparison figure I could find in Motor Trend but I didn't look very thoroughly.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I was talking about Lassa's, but yes, three. Four if you include mine. :-)

What about skidpad, slalom, and braking? I do think you have to look at the whole package.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    On some other owners' forums, I've been reading rumors of the October issue of R&T that compares just the GT and TSX. Apparently, in this comparo the GT comes out on top.

Ken
    Let's give the TSX camp a couple of days of glory, though. LOL

No surprise, different strokes for different folks...

-juice
  • If thats true why is the Legacy always compared to the TSX?I think the AudiA4 and the BMW330XI and the VOLVO S40 AWD would be great comparisons.Although they all pricier than the subaru,they are all AWD sedans geared towards sporty driving.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    C&D and R&T probably compared the TSX to the Legacy because they are owned by the same publisher. They probably just share test drive vehicles to save money.

Ken
  • wait until next month. Consumer reports will compare the legacy to the Acura TSX, Audi A4 Volvo S40. Let's see how this exact same comparison comes out. One glaring ommision in the C&D comparison was the fact that neither the Audi nor the Volvo had their AWD options. This would increase the price and weight. Their acceleration and braking would suffer the weight. The subie would trounce it even more.
  • Never really seems to appreciate cars that I call exciting.They always had a love affair with the camry and cars like that.I bet they will love the TSX gas mileage.And the 200hp will be more than adequit for them.I can just almost see that comparison already.The legacy might score high on value with them though.
    The car and driver review seems to put alot of merit on gas mileage.I was thinking maybe acura customers would agree and prefer the civic motor as an option.
  • I am traveling and came across the new R&T last night and read the GT versus the TSX comparison.

The GT won but by a very close margin. I believe it was 585 points to 580 points (but don't hold me to that).

The GT took top honors on HP and ride.

The Acura took top honors on handling and transmission.

The only thing I question is the Acura was equipped with a NAV (a $2,000 option). My guess is that with that removed from the pricing comparison, it would have been an absolute dead heat.

After reading C&D and R&T I am willing to concede to a draw.

Either way my Volvo S60 lease goes back tomorrow and my new TSX comes home on Saturday.

;)

Go Red Sox!!
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    If thats true why is the Legacy always compared to the TSX?

Price and cost of long-term ownership.

Although I like the Audi, BMW, Volvo, I personally would not buy one. Their track record for repairs beyond 4 years is no where near Subaru and Honda. I will soon be replacing my 99 GT LTD with 110k, and price alone planted the 05 GT LTD right between the TSX and TL.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    If thats true why is the Legacy always compared to the TSX?

The dimensions (wheelbase, etc.) are virtually identical. They're priced very close, and they're aimed at the same customer.

Bob
    it looks like the C&D/R&T comparos have again re-opened the age-old argument: FWD vs. the world.

It seems the TSX has again shown that FWD cars can indeed handle, if properly engineered. You can debate all you want as to whether the TSX or the LGT is better in this area, but regardless of your conclusion, and whoever wins—it's not by much. So maybe at 8/10s driving and above, FWD may not be optimal, but most owners will rarely if ever experience those conditions.

Bob
    CR will look at these cars from a practical standpoint. I bet a Legacy wagon would score higher than a sedan (that was true for previous generations they tested).

Should be a fun weekend, allaboutme. Congrats.

(watch - he be missing from the boards for a week, driving his new wheels).

-juice
  • I really loved the TL and GT. The TL interior clearly outclassed the GT but the handling of the GT did the same to the TL. Make me a morph of the two and I will be in heaven. Clearly the TL has a serious problem with steering and the traction control is intrusive even if it keeps you alive. The Subaru's interior is vastly improve over my wife's old '94 Legacy or here new WRX but has week spots. Why they stopped improving when they got to the radio or that empty spot for the navigation system I don't know.

I looked also at the G35x 325xi S60R A4 Passat but I bought the GT as I felt it provided the best balance of comfort and power and safety.
    Got my R&T issue in the mail today, and yes, the Legacy GT wins but, just barely. I still say it really depends on what's important to you, as to which is best. AWD and a nice torquey engine does it for me. :)

Bob
  • That proves the publisher of C&D and R&T are smarter than all of us selling us both sides of the argument...must be run by lawyers.

There's nothing really wrong with any of these cars just different strengths and weaknesses.Most people are smarter nowadays to look past luxury badges and compare what they want in a car:

TL-good interior,loaded with features,power
    G35-power and handling, but substandard interior
    S40,S60-safety 1st,quirky interiors
    TSX-good price,gas mileage,handling
    GT-power,awd,handling
    Nav is on its way for the Legacy, MY2006 at the latest. Some are even saying it'll be a running change for the 2005s.

-juice
  • I recently totaled my 1 yr old RSX. I loved that car and was very please with Acura. I want to get another Acura but cannot decide if I should upgrade to a TSX. I feel like I might need a change but I wasn't done driving my RSX. Like the four doors of the TSX but like the sporty feel of the RSX. Any suggestions?
    The TSX has a more user-friendly powerband, being a 2.4L. It's also much more practical, being a 4-door. I'd say test drive one. You know the RSX, now find out if the TSX is worth the jump.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.