Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paying more than MSRP for (new) Hybrids, Depreciation/Value of used Hybrids

Comments

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Not sure they get any higher (or lower) marks than any other marketing teams over the last few years that got people into a frenzy and "gotta have it NOW" mode over things like the VW Beetle, PT Cruiser, etc.

Sometimes people ARE sheep! :)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• molokaimolokai Posts: 313
    WOW... I never knew we could manipulate the press. :)
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...is, IMHO, the best in the business.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    I never knew we could manipulate the press

I believe we do from time to time. Most of the articles written about the 33 Prius that had stalled on the highway, quoted Edmund's Forum as a major source.
  • Toyota PR - Public Relations _ IMHO fell to an all time low when they hoarded over the intial Prius demand and treated customers so arrogantly rude. Some will forgive and forget and others will never go back to Toyota.

Now I think Toyota's advertising and marketing is the best, but their local dealer public relations and customer service hit rock bottom.

One Soul Toyota Lost,

Mid Cow
    I guess the same people feel that way when they go to a Pontiac dealer who want to charge 7k over list for a Solstice. At least the rollout for the Lexus went pretty smooth.
    I guess the same people feel that way when they go to a Pontiac dealer who want to charge 7k over list for a Solstice.

I don't think you see the difference as midnightcowboy and the bulk of America see it. When someone is trying to help out the environment by being "green" (yourself excluded). It is a shame that the automaker touting themselves as environmentally in-tune, are GOUGING those that would try to help. I would put it up close to Starbucks charging people 5 bucks a bottle for water during the 9/11 terrorist attack in NYC. The Pontiac Solstice is a toy like the Sony Playstation. It is not a symbol of environmental integrity as the Prius is advertised to be. Some people paid double and more for the Playstation. They were not doing it to clean up the environment. That is the difference!
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Gary.. I don't think YOU understand the problem either. Toyota didn't realize they had such a winner on their hands. Their dealers gouged the public, NOT Toyota. They got caught with their pants down. They increased capacity and now supply has caught up with demand. Now Toyota is planning on bringing out more hybrids. I don't see the problem. Amazing how some people can't stand when a foreign company beats an American company. If you recall, the rollout for the Lexus and HH were SMOOTH. I am sure the same will go for the Camry. Get used to it. Hybrids will one day rule the earth. :P
    Hybrids will one day rule the earth

Not in our lifetime.

If you think that the dealers actions do not reflect for or against the manufacturers, You are not living in a real world. I have seen many, many references to being treated poorly by a dealership and that person writing the brand off their list of possible cars.
    Maybe that's the reason Toyota will eventually rule the world in marketshare in OUR lifetime. It's only a matter of time. I am a lot younger than you so maybe in your lifetime you won't see it, I certainly will.
    that's the reason Toyota will eventually rule the world in marketshare in OUR lifetime.

If you are correct it is a shame. Monopolies are never good for the consumer. Another good reason to not buy a Toyota.
    I don't refer to them as a monopoly. I mean they will have the greatest market share. Why? Because they make the best product out there.
  • otis1otis1 Posts: 142
    What do you folks think the effect of the tax credit will have on depreciation of hybrids? I'm wondering if it will have a similar effect as rebates do to used car values. For the sake of arguement, let's say the HH qualifies for a $3000 credit. 6-18 months from now, who's going to buy a used 2006 HH for $3000 off whatever the selling price is for a new car? the seller would have to drop the price even more (barring the possiblity of a sudden shortage of new supply) WIll the new tax law make hybrid resale values drop like GM rebates do?
    I don't think it will have any effect at all. I actually think the days of hybrids holding their value are coming to an end. As supply has caught up with demand, people won't be able to flip hybrids like they do real estate. But... since gas prices keep going up, there may be a surge in demand for hybrids that supply can't meet. It will be interesting to see. I really don't care as I am going for a record on my Prius. Normally I only keep cars for a few years and get tired of them. I am hoping to keep this one for at least ten years.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Plus, the tax credit is only for the first 60,000 vehicles per company, so, for Toyota at least, it won't be a fleet-wide "rebate".
    I interpret that 60,000 limit a little differently. Once a manufacturer sells 60,000 hybrids, then the FOLLOWING quarter, the tax credit is phased out. Lets say in Jan-Mar, toyota sells 60,000+ hybrids, then Q2 and Q3 gets 50% of the credit because this is now considered the "phase out" period. If toyota sells 59,999 hybrids in Q1, then the phase out doesn't begin until Q3. There's still some funny language I don't get, particularly when they talk about manufacturing dates. I don't know if the leftover 05's count towards this 60,000 quota (ref p1417-1418). I sure hope Turbotax can figure this out for me.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    "Once a manufacturer sells 60,000 hybrids, then the FOLLOWING quarter, the tax credit is phased out. "

My reading is that the credit goes on for one full quarter after the 60K, then 2 quarters at 50%, 2 quarters at 25%, thereafter no credit.
    I wonder how the IRS will keep track of all the deductions (credits) people are claiming. I would imagine the manufacturer will have to give you some type of certificate/form for qualification purposes.
    My reading is that the credit goes on for one full quarter after the 60K, then 2 quarters at 50%, 2 quarters at 25%, thereafter no credit.

ooh, I think you're right. I hate lawyer speak. It reminds me of the days I had to read patents.
  • markdelmarkdel Posts: 56
    Hi,
    I'm confused, is this the Honda forum or the Toyota forum???? :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.