Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Truck stops running at all speeds

ducky76ducky76 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Ford
while driving at 60 mph, truck just quits..put in neutral, try starting, will not..pull to side of road, pop hood, can't
tell why stopped.waited 20 minutes, started right up and i decided to return home..quit again after 5 mins driving..
took 1 bbl carb off, took apart, rebuilt carb..installed, started right up, ran for 17 minutes at idle, than quit..checked
coil and found heavy rust in it..put new coil on, started up, ran like it did before and quit..checked dizzy (points) and
found it sound..replaced the fender solenoid, ran great for 12 minutes at idle and quit..all the wiring on my baby is 32 yrs old, as well as the motor craft electronic regulator..removed all electronics componets off this truck and went back to basics, point dizzy, reg coil for external resister, new plugs, new solenoid, starter, battery, old alt shows ok, put
in cam and lifters, 69' Toronado rear end..my conclusion is after reaching operating temp, stops running..driving me
crazy..any help would be appreciated..probably something simple!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You need to check the fuel and ignition systems at the time of failure--have your spark tester and fuel pressure gauge at the ready when the truck quits, and figure out, first of all, which you have lost. Sounds like when it stalls it will not restart immediately, so you have an opportunity to at least identifying which problem you're chasing---fuel or spark.

Once you've determined that, you can drill down to the actual culprit.