Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MAZDASPEED Mazda6

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Maybe it just suites your tastes.

I see room for improvement in the 6. Styling is fine. Material quality isn't as nice as the Leg, but at least the design is sharp (a sporty cockpit). Handling is about even but the ride is stiffer and NVH control is not as good.

The V6 could use more torque down low, and AWD will work wonders for this chassis that seems ready for more power.

Dunno, I like it, but I don't love it. 20 more lb-ft and AWD and maybe I'd love it.

-juice
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    I see room for improvement in the 6. Styling is fine. Material quality isn't as nice as the Leg, but at least the design is sharp (a sporty cockpit). Handling is about even but the ride is stiffer and NVH control is not as good.

This will be an entirely different vehicle. Basically, all it will share with the current 6 is the number.
    Hmm, sort of different.

Same chassis and even the Ford engine block. Lots of changes in the tuning I'm sure.

I think it'll be what the SVT Focus was to the regular Focus. Even then I'm not sure that it'll be hand-built like the SVT was.

We'll see. Miata owners (myself included) haven't exactly gone nuts over the Mazdaspeed edition of that car.

-juice
  • mazdaspeed's goal is to bring extra sporty feel of the car. i dunno how much power 6 will bring...but if it's over 250 horses in turbo and goes under 5 sec in 0-60...i will buy it, except if it is the wagon i might not...i just hate wagons...its for mamas...
  • i don't get why the miata owners including yourself haven't gone nuts over mazdaspeed version of miata...its a turbo man!!! with a turbo kit you can boost your car up to 1000+ horses, also called monster miata!!! in fact, many guys who own miata is in craze 'bout mazdaspeed version...
    I guess it's that a lot of us don't feel like the Miata is about straight line speed, but cornering and nimbleness, tossability. The turbo makes it heavier and that could even hurt the ride/handling balance.

Also, it's not addressing the main issue I have with my Miata - leg room. It's still cramped.

So I'd have a quicker Miata that is still tight and weighs a bunch more than my 1993.

I guess I'd have been more impressed if MazdaSpeed figured out a way to drop 200 lbs instead of adding more power.

-juice
  • grahambgrahamb Posts: 45
    the most recent Auto Week tests the MazdaSpeed Miata. I found it impressive that the only other car they have tested that beat this miata through the slalom was a viper.
    Well, it being narrow helps. Not really a fair comparo. Still good if it beat the S2000 and Boxster, though.

-juice
  • shov6shov6 Posts: 177
    It seems unlikely to me that the Mazdaspeed6 will pull off a 0-60 in under 5secs. It would probably need 275+hp to pull that off, and I think that's way over what the car will ultimately produce.
    I hope they don't aim for a one-trick pony like that. Keep the boost moderate so that driveability is good, fuel efficiency avoids gas guzzler taxes, and durability is good.

-juice
  • shov6shov6 Posts: 177
    Of course one of my primary complaints about the 6S is that the mileage isn't all it could be... But I doubt the hot-rodded 6 would be a bona-fide gas-guzzler!
    Only 10 days until the Paris Auto Show.
  • And so the countdown begins... :-P
  • Actually, it's more like 7.5 days (based on the time as I write this).

Press days are Sep 23 & 24 and Mazda's on the first day (11:15am @ Hall 1 to be more specific).
    A bit anxious? : )
  • I totally agree. My 6s is very nice but I can't wait to see this car in person.
  • drummdrumm Posts: 16
    Is it official that the Mazdaspeed version of the 6 will be shown at the Paris show this weekend? Any details anyone? I've been trying to gather info, but no luck, other than the showing of the MAzda5

-Drumm
    It will debut in Paris.
  • The press release is all over the net.

260ps or about 252hp

0-100km/h in 6.6s (probably very conservative)
    That is plenty. Right in line with the Legacy GT (250hp and 0-60 just under 6 seconds).

I want to read more about the AWD, hopefully it's not the same system used in the Escape (part-time rotary blade coupling).

Got any links?

-juice
  • Here's the portion of one of Mazda's press releases as it pertains to the AWD:

All-New Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive System

The Mazda6 MPS is equipped with Mazda's new active torque split, all-wheel drive system. Based on the road-proven system of the Mazda6 available in some global markets, but featuring more aggressive transfer of torque to the rear axle on all road surfaces in accordance with driving conditions, the new all-wheel-drive system achieves a fine balance between sporty control over the car that makes it particularly fun to drive and handling stability on snowy or wet surfaces or under other challenging road conditions. Power and torque are faithfully and thoroughly transferred to the road surface for maximum efficiency and performance.

The system uses real-time input data on steering angle, yaw rate, lateral G force and engine status to determine road surface and driving conditions. The active torque coupling mounted in front of the rear differential is electronically controlled accordingly, adjusting front/rear wheel torque distribution between 100:0 and 50:50 to deliver optimum drive power to each wheel. The result is powerful acceleration and positive handling regardless of constantly changing road conditions, as well as the ability to fully balance the car in a turn by deft use of the accelerator pedal.

The Mazda6 MPS's onboard computer automatically determines driving and road conditions so the driver can relax and enjoy the pleasure of the drive. Three different modes of front/rear torque distribution are selected by the system: Normal, Sports, and Snow, (for slippery surfaces). The Power Take Off (PTO) system that that aggressively distributes torque to the rear axle is fitted with its own water-cooled cooling system.

A new rear differential with greater torque capacity is employed by the system to deliver a high level of reliability. Increased torsional rigidity of the propeller shaft and rear differential mount improves the response of torque transfer to the rear wheels and delivers a more rigid feel to the ride under acceleration. And a limited slip differential is used in the rear differential optimizes transfer of torque to the left and right rear wheels, realizing solid traction and linear vehicle control that delivers a stable feeling ride when cornering.
    From that it seems like it's primarily FWD, or at least it's 100% front by default, but can adjust pro-actively (hence the real-time inputs).

Up to 50% to the rear axle is a weakness, IMO. Most German competitors actually carry a rear bias, 45:55 or even 33:67 in Audi's case, by default.

Subaru's is 50/50 or 45/55 depending upon the model, and VTD can actually send up to 100% of power to either axle. IMO it's better in two ways, being both full-time and more flexible.

The rear LSD is nice and matches what Subaru offers.

Far better than what the Escape gets, but still not quite a match for Subaru's AWD. Of course Subaru specializes in AWD and we should expect them to keep an advantage in that regard.

I can't wait to sample one in the real-world, though.

-juice
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    looks like a Legacy GT vs Mazdaspeed6 comparo thread will soon appear :-D
  • That website I think quotes 274hp and 280 torque.

Who knows which numbers are correct.
    0-60 target in the low 6 range.

Speed sensing wipers

SAB & curtain bags

Alloy pedals

18" wheels

17" f/r rotors

Active torque split AWD

stainless steel scuff plates

Auto climate

6-speed manual (no AT)

4 window auto up/down

2.3l DISI turbo 274hp 280lb-ft.

Limited slip diff.

DSC

HID headlights
    http://www.autoweek.com/page.cms?pageId=45

Mazda6 MPS is about half way down.

Very poor color choice for a show car. It blends right in instead of sticking out. The 5 door would have been a better choice for body style, will it come that way?

No turn signal in the mirrors. The honey comb grille is OK, but I'd like to see a cross hatch pattern, it would look better.

That black trim around the fog lights screams of cost cutting, make it body color guys!

It does get what appears to be headlight washers, neat.

Rims and ivory leather look more Lincoln.

-juice
    Sedan only.

The wheels look very Volvo to me. Whatever they end up looking like, I'm sure they'll look great. I think Mazda has the best looking OEM wheels on the road.

BTW, it shares fewer than 100 parts with the current 6.
    I'm not sure that's a good thing. Seems like an expensive way to improve an already good car.

That extra bulge on the hood, does the regular 6 have that? I bet they made more room for the turbo.

Cladding on the lower doors looks nice, well integrated.

I wonder if those body-color mirrors are fold-aways. The regular car lacks these.

It's odd that some trim is body color and some is black. The door surrounds for instance, they'd look better painted.

That's funny because our 626's weren't, and later they added that to the 626.

I notice side markers, that's cool.

-juice
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    Honestly, the wheels are really turning me off. I'll just have to wait to see and drive one in person.

That Focus cabriolet looks nice. I'm sure we'll never see it over here though. Too bad. :(
    DSC is great, HIDs too? Nice.

No NAV in the car that was pictured, I wonder if it'll be an option. Legacy is often critized for lacking that feature.

Nice dual exhaust, integrated too.

Like the taillights. Where's the 3rd head rest? Not even a hump?

I wonder if those side mirrors fold away, the regular model's does not.

-juice