Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MAZDASPEED Mazda6

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We don't really know whether it'll handle better in the twisties. It will get 18" rims, but I'll wait and see. They'll have to sacrifice NVH to achieve that.

C&D had an article on the 6 wagon and it said the Legacy wagon had more room. I doubt the MS6 will come in a wagon at all, so Subaru has the clear advantage there - you can get a GT wagon.

As for passenger room, IMO both are tight. Neither has any foot room at all beneath the front seats. Wheelbase is about the same, and Legacy actually has a bit more head room when I sat in it. The wagon has a lot more head room.

Seems like you have something against the Legacy, have you sampled one? Reviews have been solid.

-juice
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    icvci,
    What's up with the link in #18? It stopped working on me while I was trying to find the Mazda section. Since I don't speak French, how do I get to where you were pointing?
    Link didn't work for me either, BTW.

-juice
  • shov6shov6 Posts: 177
    Perhaps it's just a perception, but my mother's '98 Legacy GT wagon has about the same amount of space as my '03 6S, at least in the passenger compartment. I was under the impression that the new Legacys are larger than their predecessors, so that would logically make the Legacy a marginally roomier vehicle.

But then again, I haven't applied a tape measure to either, so I could be wrong.
    The new Leg isn't really much roomier than the old one, they're about the same. I think the Mazda6 and the TSX are also about the same size, towards the small end of the mid-size segment.

I complained that the Mazda6 didn't have toe space under the front seats, but the Legacy has the same exact issue.

Neither is particularly roomy, an Accord or Altima is roomier for sure.

-juice
    Neither is particularly roomy, an Accord or Altima is roomier for sure.

Sure, if you can get past the mind numbing boredom that comes with the Accord.

I don't recall an Altima being more roomy. I know a Maxima is but the Altima too?
    Altima has a lot of rear leg room, at least. More than the 6 or Legacy.

Any how, it's not often you have 4 people above 6' tall in one car.

-juice
    Any how, it's not often you have 4 people above 6' tall in one car.

Nope. The only reason I have 4-doors right now is because of a 9 month-old. Otherwise the back seat is a ghost town. ;)

Our Escape has a good bit more leg room in the rear so we always use it when multiple adults travel with us. It's just easier that way.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    It's a link to the Paris Autoshow, and didn't have any specific link to the MazdaSpeed6. I was just pointing out that there is an Autoshow in Paris and it is from September 25th to October 10th. There will probably be some cool cars there.
    Nothing against the Legacy Juice, just everything for the 6, it is going to open up a whole new world for a lot of people.

The Legacy is a fine vehicle but, it is going to be quite a few ticks below the 6 in terms of styling, fit and finish, handling and over-all performance.
    Maybe it just suites your tastes.

I see room for improvement in the 6. Styling is fine. Material quality isn't as nice as the Leg, but at least the design is sharp (a sporty cockpit). Handling is about even but the ride is stiffer and NVH control is not as good.

The V6 could use more torque down low, and AWD will work wonders for this chassis that seems ready for more power.

Dunno, I like it, but I don't love it. 20 more lb-ft and AWD and maybe I'd love it.

-juice
    I see room for improvement in the 6. Styling is fine. Material quality isn't as nice as the Leg, but at least the design is sharp (a sporty cockpit). Handling is about even but the ride is stiffer and NVH control is not as good.

This will be an entirely different vehicle. Basically, all it will share with the current 6 is the number.
    Hmm, sort of different.

Same chassis and even the Ford engine block. Lots of changes in the tuning I'm sure.

I think it'll be what the SVT Focus was to the regular Focus. Even then I'm not sure that it'll be hand-built like the SVT was.

We'll see. Miata owners (myself included) haven't exactly gone nuts over the Mazdaspeed edition of that car.

-juice
  • mazdaspeed's goal is to bring extra sporty feel of the car. i dunno how much power 6 will bring...but if it's over 250 horses in turbo and goes under 5 sec in 0-60...i will buy it, except if it is the wagon i might not...i just hate wagons...its for mamas...
  • i don't get why the miata owners including yourself haven't gone nuts over mazdaspeed version of miata...its a turbo man!!! with a turbo kit you can boost your car up to 1000+ horses, also called monster miata!!! in fact, many guys who own miata is in craze 'bout mazdaspeed version...
    I guess it's that a lot of us don't feel like the Miata is about straight line speed, but cornering and nimbleness, tossability. The turbo makes it heavier and that could even hurt the ride/handling balance.

Also, it's not addressing the main issue I have with my Miata - leg room. It's still cramped.

So I'd have a quicker Miata that is still tight and weighs a bunch more than my 1993.

I guess I'd have been more impressed if MazdaSpeed figured out a way to drop 200 lbs instead of adding more power.

-juice
  • grahambgrahamb Posts: 45
    the most recent Auto Week tests the MazdaSpeed Miata. I found it impressive that the only other car they have tested that beat this miata through the slalom was a viper.
    Well, it being narrow helps. Not really a fair comparo. Still good if it beat the S2000 and Boxster, though.

-juice
  • shov6shov6 Posts: 177
    It seems unlikely to me that the Mazdaspeed6 will pull off a 0-60 in under 5secs. It would probably need 275+hp to pull that off, and I think that's way over what the car will ultimately produce.
    I hope they don't aim for a one-trick pony like that. Keep the boost moderate so that driveability is good, fuel efficiency avoids gas guzzler taxes, and durability is good.

-juice