Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diesel MiniVans

Does anybody know if any manufacturer is considering a diesel minivan?

Comments

• forbes3forbes3 Posts: 7
    I believe Daimler Chrysler is considering selling their minivans with a diesel engine. I think it would be a smart move on their part. I would buy one in a flash. They are already available in Europe and elsewhere with the diesel.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    I've also heard talk of Chrysler considering a diesel option. However, I don't think we will see one until the 2007 model year when ULSD is the norm.
  • pusterracingpusterracing Posts: 186
    I also hoping that when VW returns their MiniVan/MicroBus (whatever they are calling it) that they will option it with the 1.9 or 2.0 diesel (I already own an 04 Jetta GLS TDI). I haven't heard much about the Minivan/Microbus, and nothing about whether it will have a diesel option.

I would also jump at a Grand Caravan with a diesel (providing it is not TOO much more expensinve that it's gasoline counterparts), I'm hoping that the Chrysler rumor is true.
  • natdmannatdman Posts: 5
    I would LOVE to get ahold of one. I think they should shoot for 160ish HP and 275+ft-lbs torque, ~30mpg highway and ~23 mpg city, be able to tow 4000+lbs (strengthen sub-framing a little). All with a starting price of under $30k. Someone SHOULD be able to make it. I WILL buy.......
  • unitsupunitsup Posts: 4
    A mercedes diesel van is available right now which is rebadged as either a Dodge Sprinter or Freightliner Sprinter. It comes as either a passenger van or cargo van. I have driven them and they are great. If you have seen any of the new small UPS vans, they are the Dodge Sprinter 140 inch wheelbase with the high roof. There are two shorter wheelbases available.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Answers the question in posting # 1 of this forum.
         Question: IS a TALL van like the Dodge Sprinter still considered a minivan?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,182
    I group them with full size vans myself. The FedEx driver I quizzed months ago didn't like his Sprinter but maybe the smaller versions drive better.

There wasn't a lot of interest in them over in Dodge Freightliner (Mercedes Sprinter).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,900
    I saw one the other day made into a conversion camper. Real nice and 22-25 mpg. They are underpowered though. I think I could live with cruising slower in a camper to get that kind of mileage, maybe.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,182
    Neat - I heard that conversions were available.

I have a guide friend in Anchorage who could use one for shuttling kayakers if there's enough oomph to pull a trailer full of sea kayaks or rafts.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,900
    I will let you know when I talk to my Sister and brother-in-law. They are buying one for his contracting business in New Mexico. They live way the heck and gone into the mountains. And he has 7 kids still home to haul around. Not sure which model he settled on. I think they are very popular in Europe.
    Reliability and Economy are much more important in Europe. With cheap gas and diesel in the USA, POWER is King.
         I personally prefer the American idea of power with reasonable fuel economy. Honda provides both in the Honda Odyssey.
  • I'm driving my 4th minivan and my last. All the manufacturers are making the mininivans too large. They wind pushes them about a bit and only in ideal conditions are they ok to drive. A small 5 or 6 passenger vehicle with enough leg room for all the passengers will be fine. For example the new Ford 500 sounds like a nice size. Ford missed their chance by not adding a diesel to this car.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Steve, the Sprinter is rated to tow 5000lb I believe.

They are definitely full-size vans, as they only come in 3/4-ton & 1-ton versions.

Bob
  • "Around the world, the Chrysler Group currently offers diesel powertrain options in the Jeep Cherokee (Liberty in North America), Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Chrysler Voyager minivans. In Western Europe, diesel-powered vehicles comprise 56 percent of Chrysler Group's total sales volume."

M-B also markets the Vito minivan, in several configs (including a camper).

A diesel minivan (running on B100) is exactly what I want. (An Ody with Honda's new iCTDi motor would be my first choice.) What kind of campaign would it take to get any mfr to bring them over here?
  • I'm hoping that the manufacturers will start implementing the diesel more often for our market. I just got rid of an Expedition because it was the absolute bare minimum to tow my travel trailer (no hills) and replaced it with an F350 Crew Cab with a 6.0L Diesel. We had looked into the diesel Excursion (don't remember seeing a diesel option on the "super large" GM SUV models), but I wanted a truck to keep my options open in the future. So, now out of the 3.5 vehicles (1/2 vehicle is a 150CC Honda Scooter that gets ~70mpg) two of them are diesel. I have a Jetta TDI, the F350 and a Mitsu Galant. I also have two small children and might like a third. If that happens I want to get rid of the Galant and get a diesel minivan. I'm not sure why Chrysler doesn't offer it as an option on the Town and Country or the Caravan.

I'm all for some sort of campaign to get the manufacturers to offer their diesels here.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    I keep hearing that Vito/Viano will replace the Caravan. Anyone have any links?
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    I was just in the Ottawa airport where they have a diesel PT Cruiser on display. These sell in Europe and would be a good idea here.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    A diesel minivan would be great. The Sharan comes to mind.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The PT has a diesel that is OK, not exactly cutting edge. Would be better if it was the lastest technology.
  • acerguyacerguy Posts: 9
    VW has the great looking Touran with a 140PS 2.0l TDI engine. I honestly would walk right down and buy one I think if they would only bring it over....wishful thinking I know......
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    Add one more to that list.
    One can buy a 7-9 seat minivan with a 4 cyl diesel that gets 35-40 mpg in every other market in the world.

Now that sulphur is disappearing from our diesel, where's mine?
    This would be nice with the 2.0 diesel

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@105841380- - 8.1112811827@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddefkiflhfcfngcfkmdfkidffi.0&navRoot=toyota_root&portal=- - null&edname=Previa+Intro&catname=%2ftoyota_root%2fTopNav%2fNew+Cars&zone=Zone+PREVIA&menui- - d=112360
    Combined fuel economy with the 2.0 manual 39.2!!!!!!
    http://tinyurl.com/4krhb

32 mpg with the 2.0 diesel.
  • f111df111d Posts: 114
    Test drove a Liberty Diesel luv that torque! What a beauty to drive. DCX is missing the boat that motor in the mini-van would make any the of gas v-6's options feel like a slug. Cub weight on the Liberty I believe close to that of the vans, it's almost the same as a Grand Cherokee. That Liberty has a robust chasis underneath. But I need the interior for the kids.
    Most citizens of the United States do NOT like diesel powered vehicles. The obnoxious noise and odor of diesel is not worth the money saved in fuel costs until fuel gets much more expensive than it now is.
    I would NOT buy a diesel powered minivan, pickup, or sedan. :sick:
  • And that is what I love about this country......freedom of choice. I would love to see a diesel minivan...maybe a Town and Country with the 2.7L from the Liberty CRD or the diesel from the Sprinter, a VW Minivan with the 2.0L TDI-PD....anything would be welcomed....in MINIVAN form (the sprinter doesn't count). I'm still waiting for something like this to be offered for those of us who are big proponents of diesels.

Most citizens of the United States do NOT like diesel powered vehicles.

That's a mighty bold statement. You have polled them? ;)

The obnoxious noise and odor of diesel

Obviously you have not been around any of the late model (99-present) VW 1.9 TDIs, 2.0 TDIs or the MB CDIs. From 10 feet away you wouldn't know they were a diesel, and the "noise" they emit is not much, if any, louder than a gas engine...it just sounds a little different (like a sewing machine). And ODOR? These cars have very little, if any, discernable odor these days

BTW...Mitsu Galant was replaced by a Passat TDI when it was totalled in Feb......

-PR-

03 Ford F350 SuperCrew KingRanch 6.0L Powerstroke
    04 VW Jetta GLS TDI
    05 VW Passat GLS TDI