Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• Thanks!
    I have never actually purchased a brand-new vehicle, so not sure what exactly to expect on receipt of the new car.

I have an '00 Audi A6 wagon (which I will be selling when I get this car)- bought it out of state with only 4K miles- have had no problem with the dealer here when it needed warranty repair or service. Different departments entirely.

Yee Hah!!
  • au1114au1114 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2006 CDI AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING BETWEEN 26 COMBO AND 34 37 MPG HIGHWAY AND THATS IN THE FIRST 2600 MILES. WATCH YOUR LOUD PEDAL AND HAVE IT INSTRUMENTED JUST IN CASE. SG MD
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    80k miles 34MPG combined, no problems, one brake pad change. Wonderful car
  • I am drooling so much 'cause I've ordered an '06 E320 CDI with everything except the pano roof and keyless go (which I would have liked, but... never having seen it demonstrated... not keen on paying a grand for it). I also eliminated the trunk closer.
    The cars I drove were quick, almost as quick as my Audi TT 3.2 DSG roadster. They seemed to be very quiet, and handled well.

I especially like the time between fueling.

bazohimba
  • dpopadpopa Posts: 2
    i have purchased a 320 CDI in august and has been in the shop for two weeks already. one day at less than 1000 miles, after my wife left with the car I had a big puddle of oil on the garage floor. they took the car in, and didn't do anything on it for a couple of days telling me that it's beyond their experience and they have called a german tech to come look at it. after a week they told me that the tech got there and the oil cooler has busted a seal and the oil got in the radiator. after another week they had the car ready. they put 200 miles on it, gave it to me with 1/4 tank of diesel, after i had just refueled before they took it in. the car had all kind of marks on the carpet, driver side. i complained, they filled it up, cleaned up and told me that they had to drive it, so...the 200 miles.
    less than two weeks later the CD changer got stuck and the CD doesn't work. i'm about to start hating the car. it never does 37 miles a gallon unless you're rolling down the hill, outta gear. the air flow from the air conditioning whistles loudly.
    how does mercedes get to have such a name when numerous things go weird with one of their cars?
  • I have just started seriously looking at the 320 CDI. One option that was mentioned was the Starmark extended 8 year/100,000 mile warrantee. Does anyone know if this is actually a MB offered extended warrantee and if so, is it bumper to bumper and worth the extra money?

So much to read, is the consensus still that this is a good bet from a reliability standpoint? Any options to make sure to include or stay away from?

Thanks for any input!
  • We are wanting to go from a 2 SUV family to a 1 SUV, 1 sedan (or station wagon). My wife really likes the Volvo XC wagon, but our dealer also has a E320 CDI which we drove (and I love). It is an 05, and not loaded I think the only options it has are heated seats, sunroof and cd changer.
    I am surprised to see all the horror stories - especially on the E320 board. We owned a 2001 C320 for about 3 years with no problems. If I talk my wife into a CDI and it turns out to be a piece, I'm going to be hating life.
    I've read back in the board quite a ways, and I know there are major updates/changes coming possibly in 07, but what are the differences between the 2005 and 2006?
    Any reason to wait for an 06 instead of picking up this 05?
    Thanks!
  • ssamahassamaha Posts: 17
    I have both the XC90 and the CDI, and I and my wife couldn't be happier with this combo! The amazing this is how different they two fuel bills are.... the CDI is easily twice as cheap to operate! And more fun to drive! But the XC is the family hauler! And for once in my life I have two cars that are powered by my favorite type of engine, and I-6... smooth as silk.. and lots of low end torque. Both have a bit of turbo lag, and the 4-spd hurts the Volvo, but bother truly leave little to desire.

here are some pics:

Volvo XC90
    http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum12.html
    Mercedes E320 CDI
    http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum33.html
  • ssamahassamaha Posts: 17
    BTW the '05 and '06 CDI are IDENTICAL.

It's the '07 that will have the aluminum V6 (blah!)..

:mad:
  • cctdicctdi Posts: 82
    For 06 CDI you got the option for 17" wheel that is it! To me, the 16" is more appropriate; I have a hard time to get the little brush in between tires and the housing to do the cleaning. I got this car over a month ago; with about 2100 miles in the odometer, no known problem exists, smooth, powerful, I don't bother to check the EPA, with my driving habit, I fill up the car every time the trip meter shows about 450 miles in it, that is about 1/4 left in the tank, a good car indeed!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Platinum Blue? Nice E320.

M
  • I just purchased a used 05 with 27,000 miles. It had a $680 paint upgrade, panorama roof $1600, heated seats $ 680, 6 disc CD changer $970. All total this 05 came to $56,000. I paid $40,000. Is that a good deal? Too late now I already bought it. Does anyone have any idea what the resale value will be in two years if the car has 100,000 ?

Also thinking about purchasing winter tire as I live in Minnesota, any suggestions
  • cctdicctdi Posts: 82
    If the car has no known problem existed; with only 27k in the odometer, you got a great deal. There is no more new 05 in my area, and I didn't see a used one either, for the 06 which is the same car as the 05, the true price is around 53k-54k with sun roof, front heated seats, and 6-cd changer only. Why I know that, I just got one.
  • I just went by a gas station and noticed that diesel is selling for $.50 more than unleaded. I remember last year when it always sold for .25 less the unleaded. Does anyone really know why it's selling for more. Is it a supply issue. I thought gas was in short supply not diesel. Furthermore it cost less to refine diesel than gas.

Please help me to understand what's going on.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    Read an article in the Wall Street Journal. It seems Rita knocked out 3 gas refineries. So refineries making diesel were converted to the gas business and up went the price of diesel. Hopefully it will even back out shortly.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    FWIW, I'm seeing the price of gasoline back down sharply from where it was immediately after Rita here in southeastern Virginia. Maybe diesel will catch up (catch down?) any minute now.
  • Not sure where you live; I'm in Atlanta. I heard an interesting theory on why gas/diesel is now higher than the national average, when it was much lower prior to Katrina. Seems the Gulf pipeline(s) feed the Northeast first, then send the rest back to the South (probably a big loop). So, when there's surplus left over at the end of the line, gas prices in ATL fall. But now, with the shortages, there's a "trickle" left by the time it gets here. Law of supply and demand then applies. Diesel in ATL, BTW, is now about the same as premium unleaded. But as long as my CDI keeps getting 33-34mpg - I'm good up to about $4.50/gal before I'll fret.
  • i have 4 michelin pilot alpin winter tires on mine. definitely do 4 rather than 2.
  • Thanks for the replies everybody; ssamaha: That's quite a garage-full you have there..... I hope I can talk my wife into the E320 before somebody else buys it.

Did anybody else see the article in this months Road & Track about the E320 cdi? They (Mercedes) put 100,000 miles on three E320's in one month. According to R&T, they had no mechanical failures at all, requiring only scheduled oil changes. That sounds like a pretty good testimonial to their reliability.

Finally, and I apologize if this has been beaten to death here, but if I buy an 05 will it burn the new "clean" diesel due out in 2006 - or will it use the "old" diesel?

Thanks again
  • ichenichen Posts: 7
    It'll use the new clean diesel without any changes at all..