Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• vl39vl39 Posts: 14
    From another MB board, some excerpts from a letter sent to dealers about the 2007 E-Class:

Interior
    MY07 FACELIFT (mid-July 2006)
    Model Year 2007 welcomes a facelift for the E-Class, and introduction of 3 new engines:
    -E320 BLUETEC: 3.0L V6 with 221hp, 376 lb-ft. torque
    -E550: 5.5L V8 with 382hp, 391 lb-ft. torque
    -E63 AMG: 6.3L V8 with 507hp, 465 lb-ft. torque
    Other key exterior product changes include:
    -a more aggressively styled front air dam
    -new front grille
    -revised head lamps and tail lamps
    -aero mirrors (similar to CLS)
    -new side skirts
    -2 new paints: Arctic White and Jade Green
    Key interior product changes include:
    -PRE-SAFE
    -new steering wheel (CLS steering wheel)
    -re-designed HVAC operating unit
    -new shift/selector lever
    -4 new upholstery colors: Black, Cashmere, Black/Sahara Beige (Sport Models only), Black/Cognac Brown (Sport Models only)
    Photos of the Facelift will be forthcoming.
    Equipment Modifications
    Value Enhancement
    The following options will become standard equipment at no-additional charge:
    -Glass Sunroof (414)
    -harman/kardon LOGIC7 Digital Surround Sound System (810)
    -6-disc CD Changer (819)
    New Packaging
    Owing to the new standard equipment listed above, we have further streamlined our packaging. Based on the successful E-Class Premium Package, launched with MY06, two "premium packages" will be offered - P1 and P2 - each of which offers significant value and includes options with proven customer demand.
    P1 - E350/E320 BLUETEC: $2390 / E550: $2840 / E63 AMG: $2000
    -DVD Navigation
    -SIRIUS Satellite Radio
    -Hands-Free Communication System
    -Heated Front Seats (Active Ventilated Seats with Heating Feature for E550 and E63 AMG)
    -Power-Rear Window Sunshade (Rear Side-window sunblinds for E350 4MATIC Wagon)
    P2 - E350/E320 BLUETEC: $4290 / E550: $4740 / E63 AMG: $3900
    Includes all items in P1
    -Bi-Xenon low-beam and high-beam headlamps with active curve illumination system
    -Keyless Go
    -Heated Headlamp Washers
    Sport/Luxury Strategy
    In addition to the enhancements planned for the upcoming MY07 Facelift, we would like to announce the start of a new E-Class Sport/Luxury product strategy, similar to the successful C-Class strategy. This strategy allows you the flexibility to tailor you inventory to meet growing customer demand for more aggressive and sportier styling. The E350W, E350W4, E550W and E550W4 will adopt a 2-prong approach (Sport and Luxury) while the E320 BLUETEC and E350S4 will remain exclusively Luxury.
    The E-Class Sport Sedan will be based on the 333 Sport Package launched late last year. This package, which is no-charge for MY07 Facelift, features key "sport" elements including 18" 10-twin spoke wheels, sport rear bumper with dual exhaust tailpipes, lowered sport suspension, blue-tinted glass, Black-Birdseye Maple Wood, and matte chrome surrounding the gearshift with a white-gauged instrument cluster.
    The E-Class Luxury sedan will be similar to the current, stylish model commonly seen today. Key "luxury" features include 17" wheels (for the E350 and E550 models only), an elegant rear bumper, comfort suspension, green-tinted glass, and Burl Walnut Wood complementing the well-dressed interior.
    Exterior
    The following colors are new:
    -Arctic White (650) replaces Alabaster White (960)
    -Jade Green (300) replaces Everest Green (816)
    Wheels: For MY07, the E350 models will receive a new 7-spoke 17" design. Additionally, the E63 AMG models will receive a new 5-spoke 18" design. Please note: the E320 BLUETEC, E550 Models, and the Sport Package will retain their current wheels.
    Also new for MY07 E-Class are Chrome wheels (R86). These wheels will be based on the same 5-spoke 17" design seen on the MY06 E500, and will be available as an option on select Luxury Models only. Please see the Product Highlights section for wheel updates.
    Other
    E-Class Station Wagon:
    In our continuing efforts to streamline our portfolio and provide you with products which support your market requirements, we will offer just a single variant of the E-Class Station Wagon: E350S4. The E350S and E550S4 will no longer be offered for MY07.
    Additionally, the Power Tailgate (890) becomes standard equipment.
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Posts: 14
    I have a 2005 E320 CDI and I find it a little small for my 40,000 plus miles I drive each year. I just got off the phone with mercedes and they tell me the R class will introduce in this Oct 2007 with the new V6 deisel. Can anyone tell me if this engine and transmission has been used in Europe before? Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage I can expect. I don't like to buy a car which hasn't been in production for at least one year. Do I need to worry about a fist year production car? Does anyone have information about the R class?
  • cctdicctdi Posts: 82
    Somehow the MB reliability is still an issue to me; four MBs came to my hands since 01, the 01 E430 4matic was the only trouble free car, the 02 320 wagon 4matic got the transmission fluid leak in less than 300 miles, the 02 55 was the worse car I had ever gotten, it was bumpy and the brake noise couldn’t be fixed, now the 320 cdi with 7450 in the odometer had to be brought back to the dealer shop for the trans leak! The work done: Replace trans electrical connector, leaking 271590 bushing plug adapter/seals-auto. Trans., R & R/seal (13 pin electrical connector). I do hope this is the only problem in this car. The 3222 cc six in line CDI has been in the market for years, and it is less complicated than the smaller 2987 cc V6 Blue Tec and I just don’t see the point to be interested in the 07 model.
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Posts: 14
    Sorry to hear your having problems. My E320 CDI has over 45,000 in it and it's been a great car, just a little small. With the kind of miles I put on each year, I have to have a diesel. The R class has 127 inch wheel base and alot of space. The 4 wheel drive in Minnesota is also appealing. I was just wondering what kind if mileage the R class will get.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,084
    Real World test:

ML 320 CDI vs. Rx 400h
    The German car magazine Auto Bild has conducted a comparative test drive from New York to San Francisco with a new Mercedes-Benz ML 320 CDI diesel and a Lexus RX 400h hybrid.

Combined results for the test drive, which although it combined city and highway driving obviously emphasized the highway, had the Mercedes diesel besting the Lexus hybrid by 10% in terms of fuel consumption.

Average total consumption for the Mercedes over the 5,200-kilometer trip (3,232 miles) was 9.2 l/100km (25.6 mpg), while the Lexus came in at 10.2 l/100km (23 mpg).

ML, R, GL diesel starting in October 2006
    MBUSA plans to introduce the 45 states ML320 CDI 4MATIC, R320 4MATIC, GL320 CDI 4MATIC starting in October 2006 using the 3.0 liter OM642 DE 30 LA V6 direct injection turbodiesel with 221 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The 50 states versions with SCR and Adblue are expected in 2 to 3 years and then include California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. There should also be the E320 BLUETEC and maybe the G320 CDI, also with the OM642.
    new M-Class info page
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    What press release is this from?

I'm kinda letdown by the fact that these diesels won't be 50-state legal yet. I had read somewhere else where the remaining 5 states won't get a diesel until the 2008 model year.

M
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    I agree with Dudley R. For best MPG you need to stay under 70 MPG.

It will take close to 20,000 miles before you start getting optimum MPG. Then you should match or beat the sticker. In town incourage your vehicle to go into overdirve as much as you can then you can match or beat the city figure just a little. Because of the extra torgue of a diesel enables you to do this.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,084
    It is one of the new items listed.

Mercedes diesel
  • tomotomotomotomo Posts: 57
    Jim, I made a quick trip from Houston to Dallas to Edgewood, Texas and back to Houston yesterday (4/13/2006). Most of the time I was on cruise control at about 70 -72 mph. I used 16.609 gal and traveled 563 miles. 563/16.609=33.897 mpg. The onboard computer indicated 33.1 mpg. Since taking delivery of the CDI on July 9, 2004 I have used a total of 512.38 gallons and have driven 14245 miles, mostly here in Houston, Texas for an overall 27.802 mpg. I am still happy with the auto.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081

On the more economical side, the E debuts Mercedes new Bluetec diesel powertrain in the U.S. market. This ultra-clean diesel engine goes on sale this September in all 50 states.

Article.

M
    If the 2987 cc V6 cuts more than 200 pounds off the inline six weight and with more HP and torque and higher in EPA, oh, the 4matic for the wagon….. That will be interesting indeed!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    A local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are driving a diesel Volkswagen or Mercedes-Benz in the Midwest/Northeast area, please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and where you’re located.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• henryb1henryb1 Posts: 7
    i have a 06 e320 cdi recently purchased. the car came with nav but not sirrus radio. i would like to install sirrus but mb says it had to be done at factory and cannot be installed now. is this true or can it be done? i am not interested in aftermarket-want to keep it as original as possible.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 968
    My local MB dealer called me on Friday to tell me that the new E CDI would not arrive until 2008. I suspect that he is just a bit overanxious to sell me one of their last 2006 models.

Needless to say, I thanked him for the information...told him that as far as I could tell, he was blowing smoke and when the new ones came in, I might drop by but don't call me....if I'm interested, I'll drop by.
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    Henry,
    I'm pretty sure the dealer is correct. I ordered mine with Sirius because I knew I wanted it. Prior to ordering, I checked with a local independent auto stereo installer who told me the same thing. (It seemed that the receiver on its own is available for a LOT less than the $500 MBZ charges) I believe there is a part that has to be installed into the radio system that enables Sirius satellite to recognize the receiver. Now that I have it, I realize that the receiver "head unit" also incorporates memory functions, display readouts etc which would otherwise have to be read from an aftermarket display. Thus, it is probably impossible to after the fact incorporate all those features without planning ahead of time for it. I suppose, in time, you might be able to replace the entire head unit with one that has Sirius receiver built in, but that is a question for the dealer, and no doubt prohibitively expensive absent other problems (like,perhaps warranty issue with Nav unit, or something, and then they replace with the fully equipped unit- you pay the additional amount)
    If you call 800 for Mercedes, you will be told the info differently. To me 2008 is the year for all MB diesel models to be accepted by all 50 states, 51 if you include the place we are there.
  • andytommoandytommo Posts: 33
    Another point to remember, which most people forget/don't realise, is that an English gallon is larger than an American gallon.
    This means that for an identical car, its mpg will be listed higher in the UK than in the US.

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres = 0.83 UK gallons

or

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres
    1 UK gallon = 4.57 litres

or a UK gallon is 20.5% larger than a US, so fuel economy figures will be 20% different.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Do not know about Serius but just had XM receiver installed in my 2005 CDI @ Best Buy for about $150. Works great. The XM receiver fits in the ashtray and you can also close the lid. Does not interfere with any other radio functions or nav.

Just BE SURE that you get an installer who knows what he is doing. This is the second E car that I have done this.
    VW is much cheaper, gets better mpg, more leg,foot room in back seat and has more dealers in the US.
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    Cheaper, better mileage, but not half the ride of an MBZ. Capacious trunk space in MB also. I can drive all day in this car, but the VW has a harder ride and definitely not the comfort. However, if you are just doing short hops around town and never really get out on the road, then maybe it is immaterial to you.
    Glad you are happy with your VW. I'm still enjoying my MBZ...and probably will be ten years after your Passat has gone to its maker ;)
    My wife and I drive our Passat TDI all over the US. True about a harder ride, but with low profile tires that's what you get.

MB does have a lot of problems with their cars and with so few dealers you can get up the well known creek without a paddle very quick.

If I want a nice ride then we can go back to the mini vans. We've had four of those, but with todays fuel prices no thanks.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    the ride of the passat tdi is nowhere near as good as an E320 but i think it is fine even for long drives such as my 7000 mile roundtrip commute last summer and a couple of 3000 roundtrips to Orlando.
    the big factor keeping me out of a Benz CDI is the unreliability of MBenz. in my experience and research, the VW TDIs are WAAAAAY more reliable than any Mbenz model. i don't have time to kill half of my workday every few weeks due to some unreliablity/problem with a Benz.
    one thing that i really miss on the 2005 E320 CDI compared to Y2k E320 wagon 4matic is the "retained heat" feature.
    imho the features of a Benz are mostly unparalleled but more features basically always brings less reliability.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "in my experience and research, the VW TDIs are WAAAAAY more reliable than any Mbenz model." That wasn't my experience with my 2000 GTI GLX (gone and not missed) versus my wife's 2002 C240. The C240 has not been the most reliable car, but it is head and shoulders above my GTI. I got rid of the GTI after 40,000 miles after $2000 repairs in a single month. YMMV.
    Just picked up this with only 3500 mi. on it and it is LOADED. The usual HK Nav plus lighting, rear seat pkgs,voice command,dynamic seats,panarama roof,electronic trunk,keyless EZ GO,etc.
    So far no problems with all the gadgets. Made a fast 700mi. trip and averaged 35.4 mpg.
    LOVE IT!
    I have been driving both of 3.2 CDI and 2. TDI for about eight months; the CDI is a fast solid car, except onetime back to the dealer for the transmission leak, with 8.3k miles in the odometer this car is a charm, on the other hand, I got over 13k on the TDI and it went back to the dealer shop one time only for oil change, it is a workhorse. With almost double the TDI price for the CDI, it goes without saying the CDI is much more enjoyable to be on the road, the TDI gives me a decent ride too on the road. If the CDI compares with the A6 3.TDI, the scale may be equal, the result will be easier to judge. As far as the reliability is concerned, I got really a bad taste on VW the Allroad 4.2 and the V10 TDI, both of them had to go back the dealer many times to fix the hard to fixed problems. For the E320 CDI and Passat TDI, I am happy on both cars.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    cctdi, what a great "comparo" and photo - thanks big-time for posting.
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    what ranges is everybody getting?
    Anybody who wants to know what the Blueteck 2008 should read the current issue of the STAR------the MB club magazine. After reading this article I am glad to have a 2005,

In order to pass the new emissions there will be an elaborate new exhaust cleaning system that will also be expensive when you buy the car but could also be expensive to maintain. Expect the price for a 2008 to be more expensive. Probably at least a few thousand more than current model.To quote"the differance will be comparable to the current differance for a Hybrid."

If you are REALLY serious about the BLUETECK you need to read this issue of the STAR. Believe that you can buy it by calling the MB club or at their website.
    I seconded your feelings; the well balance inline 3222 cc engine with iron block is built to last up to 500k miles, and I think the engine can be tweak to have more horse and torque when the ULDS is available, the 2987 cc V6 has the curb weight of 3836 Lb, that is not lighter than the inline 6, with about same EPA, I got no interest for the coming Bluetec models unless the 4996 V8 diesel engine is here.
  • Hi:

Does anyone know the status of the CDI for Califronia?

I'm interested in
    1) When new ones will be avalible
    2) How I can get a used one?

Thanks!