Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• My 2005 CDI has a water problem. Whenever it rains, the trunk lid ends up with water in it. When I open and then close the lid I can hear and feel water rolling around and shifting in there. Plus the inside of the trunk is wet.

Anyone else with this same problem?

Well, here's what happened at the dealer. They called and said that the problem was fixed. When I went to pick her up, they explained that "someone" had put too long a screw into the bottom license plates holes and had pierced the trunk lid, thus allowing water to enter the trunk. This seems a little far-fetched to me.

1. Who would FORCE very long sheet metal screws into a new MB license plates bracket. How can you NOT notice when you are busting through the steel lid.

2. I am the 2nd owner and the bottom two screw holes were empty when I purchased the car. How can a large quantity of water enter two vertical screw holes? At that size hole, water would appear to be too dense? to force it's way into the holes instead of continuing to run down the lid. Besides, these alleged holes are BEHIND the plate and bracket and UNDER the overhanging license plate light.

Anyway, they said it wasn't a warranty item and charged me $140 to plug the hole with silicone. A month later the trunk lid is full of water again and the floor of the trunk is soaked. I bring it back and the service writer says this time it's a missing grommet. When I pick it up he says it wasn't a missing grommet. The repairman SOMEHOW missed the fact that there were TWO license plate screws and he had only plugged one the previous time!

I still don't buy the story about two long screws being drilled through the lid. Why would someone replace the existing factory screws with something else? This does not sound plausible or likely to me at all.
  • I'm looking for a used 2005 or 2006 CDI. Most of the prices I've seen are close to what the price guides here at Edmunds would suggest for a Mercedes certified used E320 CDI. There's a dealer however in South Carolina that is selling a 2006 left over for $8000.00 off msrp. It's a new vehicle not used. It doesn't have much as far as option are concerned so I'm not nuts about it. It does make me wonder about how much room dealers have to lower their prices on used cars.

Has anyone gotten any substantial discounts on certified used vehicles from a dealer or are the diesels too popular to be able to get much of a discount?

Thanks
    dave
  • I followed used CDI prices for several months and almost a year ago I found what I wanted. Bought a 2005 with EVERYTHING on it. Have the window sticker at slightly more than $64,000. It is black/black...which I prefered and only had 3,500 miles on it. Bought for $48k.and it has been a great car.

To answer yout question I paid what I did because it was EXACTLY what I wanted.I followed many web sites;Ebay.Trader,etc. I am also a member of the Mercedes Benz club. A fellow member who is also a high end car broker had taken it in trade from a customer who wanted the new S car. Needless to say the car I bought was a special order as these cars are never ordered equiped as this one.

I would say that the price you are quoted is pretty good depending on equipment. We all know that dealers quote higher than they will usually agree to sell. I assume that you have checked all possible rebates etc. Personally I would go for a very good low milage preowned CDI. Maybe you could then get the equipment that you prefer.

Have bought 3 preowned MB's in the last 2 years. One had 1,800 mi,the second 3,500 mi and the third 2,700 mi. Dicounts off list were 15-25%.

Hope this helps. You have to look,look,look and be patient.The internet is your best friend although the one I just bought --a 2007 SLK350 popped up in our local newspaper. You never know where or when a deal will show up.
  • Thanks Greasy. After comparing a used 2005 or 2006 CDI to a new camry hybrid, I still prefer the CDI but the camry hybrid new with everthing is around 30k versus 45k for a used CDI with the options I'd want. I own a 300SDL which has been a great car so I was seriously considering the CDI's but I'll probably go with the Toyota.
    Dave
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    So... has it been any better since they "fixed" it last time?
    I will check to see about my license plate screws, but I agree, their story is fishy. I haven't yet taken mine to the dealer here on that same question. I won't get to it until late March now, but if I figure anything out, I'll let you know! (Unless you now have an answer that satisfies you?)
    J
  • Sounds to me like you must have stumbled onto a "Designo" edition? ;)

That has got to be the only way to get the sticker anywhere near that high. :D

How do you like it so far?

:)
  • nimhrodnimhrod Posts: 49
    They seemd to have fixed the problem, finally. The next day the Keyless-Go stopped going, though. Had the car for 4 days and couldn't figure out why the signal was not opening the drivers door locks when I got near the car. At one point they suggested that it could be the dark-tinted windows that came on it from FL.

I told them that they had a problem then, as most of the FL cars have tinted windows and I guess that all were malfunctioning? Finally they replaced all the sensors and it worked.

With mileage at 47150, I only have another 850 until I have to make a decision on the extended warranty. Looks like a no-brainer with the problems I've been seeing. Still, I hate to shell out $3200 to add another 2 years and extend to 100,000 miles. Ouch! Thinking about getting another with less miles.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    No not a "designo". Just a LOADED car. As follows;

Full leather interior, hands free communication,wood/leather wheel,active ventilated seats,panorama roof,tire pressure monitors,navigation,electronic trunk closer,Keyless go,lighting pkg,entertainment pkg,rear seat package,drive-dynamic seats.

Total extras $14,975

Have had NO PROBLEMS. Car is now over 2 yrs old. Average milage 30-31 mpg. Hwy 35 mpg.

What's not to love?
    A couple of questions-

1. How happy are you with the hands-free phone? Can you use some of the current gizmo-loaded phones available?

2. How much of the roof is transparent with the Pano, and do you still have a sunroof up front?

3. Do you really use the power trunk closer often?

4. Do the tire pressure monitors tell you the pressure in each tire, or do they just let you know when they are below a certain point?

Thanks!
    1.Don't have a phone. Use it for Audio options. It is very handy when in traffic. Very good at recognizing my commands.

2.About 75%or so. #2 Yes

3.Yes.

4.Displays pressure in each tire. Very accurate.
  • james66james66 Posts: 2
    Just turned 40000 miles on my e320 cdi. While in for a oil change mechanic noticed a fuel leak in the fuel line.
    I was told the line must be replaced. Anyone had this problem.
    I had the same thing happen on mine recently. I smelled it long before I finally took it in. They said that the new diesel is causing some of the hoses/lines to dissolve. Nice, huh? I asked why they don't replace them all and they said the factory only authorizes replacement if they are actively leaking. Makes sense to me. That way they can really dip into the owners pockets after the factory warranty runs out.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    That is a design defect. I would insist on free replacement. A leaking fuel line is very serious and mercedes should be going out of their way to keep the customer happy (so they won't sue).
    I suggested the same thing. Their response was the it was not a design defect because, at the time of manufacture, the fuel currently in use was compatible with the MB fuel system. Now that the formulation has changed it's eating up the fuel lines & hoses. But this is not their problem until it fails. In other words, HOPE YOUR SYSTEM FAILS BEFORE THE WARRANTY ENDS!
  • roland3roland3 Posts: 431
    ... just wondering if Blue Tec got rid of EGR, the urea saturated traps handle about 80 percent of NOx; was just in the local MB dealer, I think they thought I'am from Mars, but they were very polite. The one brochure they gave me mentioned the particulate and the urea but no mention of EGR.
    ... The DC site has quite a bit of info on the Blue Tec. It is designed to pass Euro V, without EGR and Mercedes points out several pitfalls of EGR.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    concept, but I believe it was not so long ago that diesel vehicles had a drain spigot to drain the water attracted by the hydrophilic diesel fuel...is this true, and, if it is, do those drain spigots still exist on current diesel vehicles like the 320 CDI????????????????
  • chanderchander Posts: 21
    I am in the market looking to buy a bluetec car, do these also develop a hose leaks??, Should I stay away?? :confuse:
    First, I can tell you from first hand experience that this is an amazing vehicle. Style, power, economy- an unusual combination.

The mechanic told me that the '05's were not built with the new diesel fuel formulation in mind. And he'd seen, as a mechanic there a pattern of leaky hoses once the owner switched to the new fuel. I would THINK that MB would have made any necessary changes to their fuel lines and other rubber-based fuel touching parts to ensure that they were resistant. But then that's common sense...

Second word of advice- as much as I love this car- be SURE to consider buying the extended warranty. I've tried to buy one (Mercedes) now that I have 47,000 miles, but forget it. Too pricey. Much cheaper to buy when new. And you don't have to buy it from the selling dealer. They often think they've "got you" when you buy it new and that you'll just add it on to the total. Price it out from other MB dealers online. I've been told there's BIG differences in price. I'm buying a JM&A ext warr.. Not the same as a MB warranty, but the next best thing and big savings.

A service writer told me that you usually don't need EW's on newer cars, but MB is different. Not because they are not dependable, but because they are so expensive on repairs. He said to replace a/c condenser on this car is over $2,000. That's almost the cost of the EW.

Hope I didn't scare you off.

D
    ... Marsha, I don't believe Diesel fuel is any more hydroscopic than gasoline. There are many types of aftermarket and OEM seperation systems. Most of the problem is a low fuel level and condensation on the walls of the tank; especially in high humidity conditions, and long settings. Many fuel filters are availiable as an unidentical twin with a drain on the bottom, with maybe a one digit change in the part #.
    ... Marsha, also there are many vehicles on the road with no seperation systems at all. The filter(s) actually will not pass water (that is not in solution, very small trace) and it is a good idea to carry a spare filter. I believe the newer cars have sealed tank/fuel systems and condensation does not seem to be much of a problem. On a boat it's a good idea to drain a small amount of fuel out of the filter or low spot in the fuel system every day; unless you have a seperatin unit with a sight glass. Any water is readily visiable in a small cup.
    When I took my 2005 CDI in for service the dealer replaced my fuel hoses. No problems.
    Was just one leaking or several? Did they replace them all as a preventative measure or just the leaky ones?
    All I can tell you is that I don,t have any leaks. Never saw a leak before the change.
  • bazohimbabazohimba Posts: 14
    I've ordered a 2008 E 320 bluetech, and I'm curious about the price of the Extended Warranty, both when purchasing the car, and getting bids from other MB dealers. Also what amount of difference in service and cost of independent companies warranties??
    After calling numerous MB dealers for extended warranty pricing, I've come to one conclusion- buy it early in your new car's life. It's much cheaper to buy it with low miles.

I ended up buying an aftermarket warranty from JM&A. They were rated #1 in JD Power ratings. Buy the Platinum coverage. You don't have to worry about what's not covered- they have a list of what is not covered. And if it's not on that list it's covered!

I paid about $3,000 for three extra years and up to 98,000 miles. A bargain compared to other warranties for cars with 48,000 miles already on them.
  • dorenhagendorenhagen Posts: 2
    Just drove it back from Chicago and actual measured mileage reflected computer calculated mileage of 39.4 MPG @ 70 MPH. This little sweetheart only had 14,500 miles and was in perfect condition. Couldn't be happier.

What are the know problems with this car to be on alert for?

Thanks.
  • vl39vl39 Posts: 14
    Can anyone pass along their fuel mileage experience on a 2007 or 2008 Blue Tec.
  • My wife and I took European Delivery of a 2008 E320 Blutec in late September and drove 1500 mi from Stuttgart through Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France before dropping car in Nice for shipment home. (Great experience, highly recommended, MB really took care of us in Sindlefingen). On three fill-ups of mixed highway and local/city driving we had 36.7mpg, 32.5mpg, 34.5mpg. I kept highway down to about 65mph and we didn't use the air conditioner much. My guess is that when the car is broken in we'll see 37+ highway. We were thoroughly pleased with the car, our sixth MB, and look forward to its arrival.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,993
    Welcome to the Forum.
    That sounds like a great way to buy a Mercedes. Keep us posted after it gets to the US. Did you save enough of the European delivery to pay for the trip?