Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• cctdicctdi Posts: 82
    If the 2987 cc V6 cuts more than 200 pounds off the inline six weight and with more HP and torque and higher in EPA, oh, the 4matic for the wagon….. That will be interesting indeed!
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    A local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are driving a diesel Volkswagen or Mercedes-Benz in the Midwest/Northeast area, please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and where you’re located.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• henryb1henryb1 Posts: 7
    i have a 06 e320 cdi recently purchased. the car came with nav but not sirrus radio. i would like to install sirrus but mb says it had to be done at factory and cannot be installed now. is this true or can it be done? i am not interested in aftermarket-want to keep it as original as possible.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    My local MB dealer called me on Friday to tell me that the new E CDI would not arrive until 2008. I suspect that he is just a bit overanxious to sell me one of their last 2006 models.

Needless to say, I thanked him for the information...told him that as far as I could tell, he was blowing smoke and when the new ones came in, I might drop by but don't call me....if I'm interested, I'll drop by.
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    Henry,
    I'm pretty sure the dealer is correct. I ordered mine with Sirius because I knew I wanted it. Prior to ordering, I checked with a local independent auto stereo installer who told me the same thing. (It seemed that the receiver on its own is available for a LOT less than the $500 MBZ charges) I believe there is a part that has to be installed into the radio system that enables Sirius satellite to recognize the receiver. Now that I have it, I realize that the receiver "head unit" also incorporates memory functions, display readouts etc which would otherwise have to be read from an aftermarket display. Thus, it is probably impossible to after the fact incorporate all those features without planning ahead of time for it. I suppose, in time, you might be able to replace the entire head unit with one that has Sirius receiver built in, but that is a question for the dealer, and no doubt prohibitively expensive absent other problems (like,perhaps warranty issue with Nav unit, or something, and then they replace with the fully equipped unit- you pay the additional amount)
    If you call 800 for Mercedes, you will be told the info differently. To me 2008 is the year for all MB diesel models to be accepted by all 50 states, 51 if you include the place we are there.
  • andytommoandytommo Posts: 33
    Another point to remember, which most people forget/don't realise, is that an English gallon is larger than an American gallon.
    This means that for an identical car, its mpg will be listed higher in the UK than in the US.

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres = 0.83 UK gallons

or

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres
    1 UK gallon = 4.57 litres

or a UK gallon is 20.5% larger than a US, so fuel economy figures will be 20% different.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Do not know about Serius but just had XM receiver installed in my 2005 CDI @ Best Buy for about $150. Works great. The XM receiver fits in the ashtray and you can also close the lid. Does not interfere with any other radio functions or nav.

Just BE SURE that you get an installer who knows what he is doing. This is the second E car that I have done this.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    VW is much cheaper, gets better mpg, more leg,foot room in back seat and has more dealers in the US.
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    Cheaper, better mileage, but not half the ride of an MBZ. Capacious trunk space in MB also. I can drive all day in this car, but the VW has a harder ride and definitely not the comfort. However, if you are just doing short hops around town and never really get out on the road, then maybe it is immaterial to you.
    Glad you are happy with your VW. I'm still enjoying my MBZ...and probably will be ten years after your Passat has gone to its maker ;)
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    My wife and I drive our Passat TDI all over the US. True about a harder ride, but with low profile tires that's what you get.

MB does have a lot of problems with their cars and with so few dealers you can get up the well known creek without a paddle very quick.

If I want a nice ride then we can go back to the mini vans. We've had four of those, but with todays fuel prices no thanks.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    the ride of the passat tdi is nowhere near as good as an E320 but i think it is fine even for long drives such as my 7000 mile roundtrip commute last summer and a couple of 3000 roundtrips to Orlando.
    the big factor keeping me out of a Benz CDI is the unreliability of MBenz. in my experience and research, the VW TDIs are WAAAAAY more reliable than any Mbenz model. i don't have time to kill half of my workday every few weeks due to some unreliablity/problem with a Benz.
    one thing that i really miss on the 2005 E320 CDI compared to Y2k E320 wagon 4matic is the "retained heat" feature.
    imho the features of a Benz are mostly unparalleled but more features basically always brings less reliability.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "in my experience and research, the VW TDIs are WAAAAAY more reliable than any Mbenz model." That wasn't my experience with my 2000 GTI GLX (gone and not missed) versus my wife's 2002 C240. The C240 has not been the most reliable car, but it is head and shoulders above my GTI. I got rid of the GTI after 40,000 miles after $2000 repairs in a single month. YMMV.
    Just picked up this with only 3500 mi. on it and it is LOADED. The usual HK Nav plus lighting, rear seat pkgs,voice command,dynamic seats,panarama roof,electronic trunk,keyless EZ GO,etc.
    So far no problems with all the gadgets. Made a fast 700mi. trip and averaged 35.4 mpg.
    LOVE IT!
    I have been driving both of 3.2 CDI and 2. TDI for about eight months; the CDI is a fast solid car, except onetime back to the dealer for the transmission leak, with 8.3k miles in the odometer this car is a charm, on the other hand, I got over 13k on the TDI and it went back to the dealer shop one time only for oil change, it is a workhorse. With almost double the TDI price for the CDI, it goes without saying the CDI is much more enjoyable to be on the road, the TDI gives me a decent ride too on the road. If the CDI compares with the A6 3.TDI, the scale may be equal, the result will be easier to judge. As far as the reliability is concerned, I got really a bad taste on VW the Allroad 4.2 and the V10 TDI, both of them had to go back the dealer many times to fix the hard to fixed problems. For the E320 CDI and Passat TDI, I am happy on both cars.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    cctdi, what a great "comparo" and photo - thanks big-time for posting.
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    what ranges is everybody getting?
    Anybody who wants to know what the Blueteck 2008 should read the current issue of the STAR------the MB club magazine. After reading this article I am glad to have a 2005,

In order to pass the new emissions there will be an elaborate new exhaust cleaning system that will also be expensive when you buy the car but could also be expensive to maintain. Expect the price for a 2008 to be more expensive. Probably at least a few thousand more than current model.To quote"the differance will be comparable to the current differance for a Hybrid."

If you are REALLY serious about the BLUETECK you need to read this issue of the STAR. Believe that you can buy it by calling the MB club or at their website.
    I seconded your feelings; the well balance inline 3222 cc engine with iron block is built to last up to 500k miles, and I think the engine can be tweak to have more horse and torque when the ULDS is available, the 2987 cc V6 has the curb weight of 3836 Lb, that is not lighter than the inline 6, with about same EPA, I got no interest for the coming Bluetec models unless the 4996 V8 diesel engine is here.
  • Hi:

Does anyone know the status of the CDI for Califronia?

I'm interested in
    1) When new ones will be avalible
    2) How I can get a used one?

Thanks!