Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• eliaselias Posts: 1,938
    yeah, selling it to a californian used could be the way to go. maybe you can find a southern cal auto broker such as that one that specializes in volksy TDIs.

trading it a 2005 benz for a Subaru just for the AWD sounds lame.
    although i did trade an E320 wagon for a jetta TDI wagon after 4 years.

i bet you probably don't really need AWD! pffft on AWD.
    a set of 4 blizzaks on the CDI will make it great in snow.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,056
    a set of 4 blizzaks on the CDI will make it great in snow.

With a lot more style, and better mileage than the Subaru. If it does not work out sell it where ever you are moving. Then downgrade to the Subaru. CA is the best bet for top dollar. They are a prized jewel in the LA & Bay area.
  • Please describe the cars color, milage, equipment. I may be interested.
  • rwalker07rwalker07 Posts: 16
    I should add that I really like to the MB CDI

It is fast, powerful and gets unreal gas mileage. I had some issues with it recently, but after the second visit the service dept. figured out the problem and it should be smooth sailing.

What bothers me, however, is the way it performed in the rain. I have little confidence in its bad weather performance. But after reading some of the comments, tires are probably the issue.

Another point is I have had nothing but front wheel drives and I believe that driving in poor weather in a rear wheel drive will just take some getting used to.

I think I will hold out for the ML diesel when it hits. The gas mileage is really hard to give up.

Thanks
  • ichenichen Posts: 7
    Can you elaborate a little about the rain/poor weather driving, merc?
    Thanks
  • Wow,

Dealers always rip you off. Unless there was really something wrong with it, you should have sold it yourself. I would have gladly taken it off your hands for 33k, but if you had advertised it I doubt if I would have been able to do so with all the competition. But with 33k cash you could have negotiated quite a bit on your new car.

Is it still for sale? Even with the airfare that would be a good deal for somebody.
  • ichenichen Posts: 7
    I will probably take delivery of a new 2005 320 cdi come tuesday.. although, i do read some things about the new year model 2006 coming out soon?

Any details, differences? things worth waiting instead for, or anything to use as a bargaining chip?

I would think about waiting another year for the probably ?07 cdi's that will run on the lower sulfur, but don't see the ability to wait the whole year (unless i lease for 1 year instead of buying?) Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    The new CDI will be the V6 which just set all those endurance records in Texas. I would think that you could try to squeeze the dealer a bit with that. I think the current CDI is a fine engine. It will run on poor diesel that the new one will not like.
  • ssamahassamaha Posts: 17
    If you accept $33,000 on an '05 CDI, you are a complete fool! Unless your car has over 100,000 miles on it, or major body damage, it's worth at least $45,000 used, and $40,000 trade... I used to sell used cars, and I know the games... this guy is trying to steal the car from you... and he'll turn around and get a $15000 profit on it when he sells it in CA for $50000... Don't be a freaking fool man! The fact that your girl got $19,000 on an '02 Saab should send you a message that you're getting ripped!

WAKE UP.
    I have always preferred I6 to V6, the only reason manufacturers make V6 is to save money and space. The cast aluminum block also is a weight savings, and has no mechanical or thermal advantage. I-6 is usually much smoother due to the lack of need to harmonically balance, and also inherently more powerful for a certain level of compression (again due to the lack of harmonic balance drag).

The I6 will be easily a 400,000 mile engine, the V6 is a 200,000 at best..

The '06 is your last chance to get the better engine IMHO... as for the 7spd.. sure it's better, but not enough to offset the loss of the I6.
    I know the fellow I talked to that owns a 320 CDI loves the car. I don't think the V6 will get any better mileage. Maybe buying a year old E320 CDI will be the best deal. Especially if you find someone willing to let it go for a bargain.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Heck, I'd give you 35K for a '05 cdi right now. I do a lot of highway miles, visiting central wisconsin, and it'd be a dream ride.
  • cctdicctdi Posts: 82
    I just traded in the hard to find Touareg V10 for the reason that the opining of fuel tank neck is to small to get a nozzle in and sold Allroad 4.2 for reason on reliability; I got hit 13k on Treg and 12k on Allroad. For the M-B, I lost tons on 01 E320 wagon 4matic it leaded oil a few days after I took it home, 02 E430 4matic the bottom was too low on five inches snow, and the 55 was just too harsh.... And I liked none of them. So, the lessons? The 04 Passat tdi wagon, 05 sedan tdi and V8 4Runner are the cars in my carport and driveway. I am just a car fool!
  • mollymaxmollymax Posts: 25
    I have a 2005 CDI E-320 that is a real pleasure to drive. Took a trip to Mesa, Az. and hit speeds of 100+, and did city driving and averaged 35.3 MPG. Not bad for an economy car, but outrageous for a luxury car. This is not your grandfathers "diesel" car. This car has tremendous power for 2 tons. No I'm not a car salesman, but a very happy owner.
    How offen should the oil be changed on a CDI? I did my first one at the dealership at 3,200 miles. They weren't able to change the oil filter as they didn't have one in stock. I will have to give them a call and see if they got one. They used Mobile 1. I think every 15,000 miles is too long between oil changes. What do you think?
    Does anyone know of any more CDIs coming into the States?
  • harley3harley3 Posts: 10
    I would agree with you on the 15,000 K between changes . I used synthetic oil in my last diesel Benz and changed in the 6000 - 7000 mile range ....... running strong when I picked up the new one . Just curious as to what the dealer vcharged for the oil change without the filter.
  • harley3harley3 Posts: 10
    I just picked up a new CDI . Incredible car ...... I had a 1998 E300d and it had in excess of 200K when I decided to move onto the new one ....... Much different than the last one ...... Torque is incredible ..... mileage is incredible ...... I am experiencing a shake in the drivers seat just off idle . usually when I am parking the car . It occurs in drive or reverse ....... will have it checked out with the first oil change . probably at the 7000 mile mark . anyone else have any problems with their CDI.? :)
    I asked the dealer to include the price of the filter with the oil change. That way when the service manager calls me when it is in ........He will have it changed out. I will give him a call in the morning and see if they received any oil filters for the CDI. It is very easy to change from the top of the engine. The oil is very easy to drain also. Just remove the middle panel under the engine and there is the drain plug. I added the "plastic chrome" around the head lights, tail lights,and the mirrors. Changed out the grill for the one with the Mercedes Star, put the "chrome" guards behind the door handles. Installed the "QUAD" tail pipes and the car looks FABULOUS. I removed the E-320 and CDI from the back of the car and on the drivers rear I put my initials SLS. Lots of looks from other Mercedes drivers trying to figure out what kind of special car this is. In my opinion it is a KEEPER (car).
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    I saw on a local dealers website that has an 05 CDI with approx. 7k miles on it. It has a listing price of $47,950. Don't know what the exact options are, from what I see for sure it has Leather, HK sound, heated seats, and sunroof. Doesn't this seem like a good deal?
    GPS or NAV? What option package? What State? MSRP is around $51,075.00. There are not too many for sale........dealers in Calif. are asking over MSRP for used ones with 7,500 miles or more. The '05 diesel engine will last longer then the all aluminum V6, but the lighter engine should give a little better fuel economy due to it weighing less. I think if you like the car's color and interior $45,000.00 would be my offer.
  • ray00edmray00edm Posts: 12
    I wonder why you guys only talk about 05 CDI, shouldn't we be talking about 06 CDI?
    '05 and '06 CDI are the same car... just that the assembly line on the one ended in April, and the other started in May...
    BTW... what's a fair price for an '05 CDI in California now-a-days with NAV, Metalic, CD changer, and Sunroof package? Are they fetching over Sticker still as used cars?
    Yes the dealers buy them out of state and mark them up over MSPP with 7,500 or more miles on them. That dosen't mean that they won't deal on them.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Other than whats stated in my last message, I'm not sure. It seems with the options it could be around $55k or so. The dealer is in VA.
    Without options I believe the base MSRP price is $51,075.00. From there the price can and does increase with the "OPTIONS". Make the best deal you can, and enjoy the car.
    and be advised that $51,075 is completely stripped... no leather, no DVD nav, no CD changer, no Sunroof, no heated seats, etc... You'll need to spend at least $54000 for a basic CDI and upwards of $60,000 for a loaded one.
    Yes it would be a plain CDI with NO options at that price.